Players the Pats need to cut...now!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Players the Pats need to cut...now!

1.) Gregory, first and foremost, would clear 2.3 million. 

2.) Gostkowski  would clear 3.4 million, he's an average kicker, you can get a better one at a cheaper price.

3.) Slater, who I would resign as soon as possible for being one of the best gunners in football, would clear 2.6 million. 

4.) Daniel Fells, who barely saw the field last year, would clear 1.5 million. 

Together, these four would free up close to 10 million in cap space! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Re: Players the Pats need to cut...now!

They could be getting ready to just that with each guy you've mentioned,but before you cut them it's nice to have the replacement under contract first.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

5)  Restructure or cut Mayo

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

And replace him with whom? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

2.) Gostkowski  would clear 3.4 million, he's an average kicker, you can get a better one at a cheaper price.

3.) Slater, who I would resign as soon as possible for being one of the best gunners in football, would clear 2.6 million. 

Your numbers are off, you're not factoring in dead money. Cutting Gregory, for example, would only net $400K in cap savings (not $2.3 mil) because his signing bonus would accelerate.  Cutting Ghost would save $1.8 mil (not 3.4), Slater $1.3 (not 2.6) and Fells $1 mil (not 1.5), so your net savings would be $4.5 mil, which isn't much because they'd have to be replaced. Of that group, I could see Fells being let go.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

I totally agree with you dude

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Your numbers are off, you're not factoring in dead money. Cutting Gregory, for example, would only net $400K in cap savings because his signing bonus would accelerate.  Cutting Ghost would save $1.8 mil (not 3.4), Slater $1.3 (not 2.6) and Fells $1 mil (not 1.5), so your net savings would be $4.5 mil, which isn't much because they'd have to be replaced. Of that group, I could see Fells being let go.

Gregory's still a scrub, Ghost's 1.8 (can a UDFA for about 200 K to put up the same numbers), Slater I would hold on to and Fells I'd still cut. 

4.5 million takes the free Cap Space close to 29 million. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

I think Fells should be gone for sure, and Gregory if they get a better safety.  Ghost could be replaced by Phil Dawson, but he's kinda old...Slater should stay.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Restructure with the first 3

Cut Fells

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

1) if Pats cut Gregory we can easily replace him with a Draft Pick like Dj Swearinger, Matt Elam..or even bring a guy in the FA like reed...certainly we will be better in this position, I know if we get a veteran this will cost more but will bring a lot more in the safety position.

2)Gostkowski too much money to a kicker...get a good one in later rounds no problem to find a good rookie kicker... look at Baltimore, Vikings, Rams

3) resign

4)We don`t need him, keep Hoomanawanui he can block, and we have Ballard this year

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

We do need to find a new kicker.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

Cut Jonathan Kraft.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to nomadfan's comment:

Cut Jonathan Kraft.

Cut nomadfan.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Fells, i think, The others not so much.  Gost is expensive for a kicker, but I'd cut him only if I knew I had a strong replacement.  Don't want to go into a season with question marks in a position that scores that many points and is so important to field position.

Slater's kick coverage skills are valuable.  He's expensive for a special teamer, but BB likes him and just signed him to that contract so I don't foresee a cut.

Gregory is an adequate safety and I'd keep him for depth unless we pick up two better guys.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to 49Patriots's comment:

Any 4th grade girl in Mrs. Krabapples's class.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Bias much? 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Your numbers are off, you're not factoring in dead money. Cutting Gregory, for example, would only net $400K in cap savings (not $2.3 mil) because his signing bonus would accelerate.  Cutting Ghost would save $1.8 mil (not 3.4), Slater $1.3 (not 2.6) and Fells $1 mil (not 1.5), so your net savings would be $4.5 mil, which isn't much because they'd have to be replaced. Of that group, I could see Fells being let go.

Yep!  Good post, Muzwell.  Always on top of things around here!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Bias much? 

What against the Boys in Mrs. Krabapples's class?  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Great idea - so now you have saved 4.5M and need to replace 4 players. Two routes to go here -

1. Vet minimum contracts at cap hit of 600K times 4 = 2.4M so you only have saved 2.1M and of course those vets on minimum contract are downgrades so you have 2.1M extra but a worse talent level. Or ...

2. You use draft picks. Take a kicker, a safety, and a TE. (ST ace is not really necessary, maybe) Of course you only have 5 draft picks, so after filling in for your cuts you have two remaining picks to fill in the rest of the needs which have been variously identified as: one or two CBs, one or two WR, two DL, and one or two OL - whoops ... which of those needs are we cutting back.

And now with the savings of 2.1M we can sign one moderately skilled young guy or one good player at the end of his career.

Have to say I am glad BB is managing the off season and not you.

I will not be surprised if Fells gets cut, but it is much more likely to happen in training camp than now. the savings is not that big and he is not untalented - had a tough start last year because he missed most of training with injury. He might be better this year.

Interesting thing is the hard cap of 123M is for Tuesday. I am not sure when the top 51 rule actually kicks in, but it does kick in soon, after which there is much more flexibility, because every higher priced player signed kicks a lower priced player off the bottom of the list.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

You are still on if he doesn't sack the QB he is a bad LB kick, good for you.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:

We do need to find a new kicker.

Why?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

You are still on if he doesn't sack the QB he is a bad LB kick, good for you.

Actually I'm more concerned with the whiffing, hitting the wrong hole and his lack of coverage skills but thanks for reminding me how useless a pass rusher he is.

I don't understand why this guy gets such a free pass.  A hugely underwhelming Top Ten pick who  completely disappeared the last 6 games of the year.......yeah, I'm on a kick - lol