Players to keep an eye on...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: Players to keep an eye on...

Personally, I think Mankins is gone unless he signs a market friendly deal.  OG's generally don't garner huge contracts in FA relative to other premium positions (QB, DE, CB etc), however some team may be looking to make a splash and sign him to more than NE is willing to pay.  That coupled with potentially releasing Light due to contract dollars and IMO lack of performance and possible retirement of Neal could yield a much different look along the OL come next year.  I think you'll see Vollmer move over to LT, 2009 4th round pick Rich Ohrnberger (or Dan Connolly) replace Neal at RG with Koppen staying at C.  Below is a list of a few OL prospects in the 2010 draft that I'm high on:

OT- Kyle Calloway 6-7 315 Iowa- is a big, tough and athletic tackle that could fill the need.  He's a durable player who's effective blocking or the run and pass and has no problem getting to the second level to take on LB's.  There's also the Kirk Ferentz connection to keep in mind.- 2nd or 3rd rounder

OG- Mike Iupati 6-5 335 Idaho- projects as the top OG available in this draft and I've seen it mentioned that he may get some looks at OT.  He's a big, tough, physical mauler who uses his hands well and plays with a mean streak.  He also has great feet, athleticism and is said to be an intelligent player, which would appeal to BB.  He looked good in Idaho's bowl game this year vs. Bowling Green. 1st or 2nd rounder

OG- Mike Johnson 6-5 300 Alabama- 27 career starts at 4 positions across the OL, primarily at left guard and right tackle.  Personally I think Mankins is gone after the year so Johnson could be his replacement.  He has the Saban connection, plays in the SEC and you know BB loves versatility. 2nd or 3rd rounder 

C/OG- Matt Tennant 6-4 291 Boston College- is another option, as a toucgh, consistent player with 28 consecutive starts, BC has a good track record of producing OL, look no further than Dan Koppen. 2nd or 3rd rounder

C- Maurkice Pouncey 6-5 315 Florida-
    One of the more well rounded and complete OL in the draft, solid in all facets of the game, has the SEC pedigree and the Urban Meyer connection. 1st or 2nd rounder

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

Yea I think the offensive line will need to be addressed with at least one of their top 4 picks. I was high on your guy Mike Iupati - but I had the patriots picking an offensive lineman with their 3rd (final) 2nd round pick, which would mean Iupati could be lone gone by then. I like the local products of Ducasse and BC grad Matt Tennant.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Those are four of my favorite prospects. 

Although, I think you are way overvaluing Micah Johnson. He could be a day two pick or possibly a UFA. 

Ducasse is a personal fav. Although his overall maturity as a OL is a bit behind, he is a phenom as an athlete, and like Vollmer is a freak. 

Hughes could be there in the second, depending on other teams' needs and the combine. If he is, I think he is almost a no brainer, provided they haven't addressed the spot yet. The only drawback is that he reminds me of some other prospects in recent years that are at their best when rushing the QB. 

Wooton is another name to throw in there for the low second high third round. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

Keeping an eye on SEC defensive players is a must. Im high on the fact that Micah Johnson played in a 3-4 and is great in pass coverage along with his great instinct and tackling. I think he will put up big numbers at the combine. His 40 speed will be interesting to watch because he has a tremendous closing speed. something that might translate into moving him to the outside.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

All interesting guys but I doubt Mankins goes anywhere. The Patriots will have the ability to sign him long term better than anyone will and can keep him with a high tender making it impossible for a team to sign him away and if after that season we still havent locked him down we have franchise tag available. I think we could get him locked up because the Patriots have the money to sign him and he might take a little discount to stay with a club like the Patriots who are perenial contendors. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Good point, interesting to see who they'd tag between Gostkowski and Mankins, possibly both if they can work something out with Vince.

Long term though, I don't see Mankins in the picture if his expectations are for big dollars.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

If I were BB and Floyd I would attempt to work a trade for Wilfork. I would try and garner as many draft choices as I could. As for Mankins he's not going anywheres as Neal will be retiring leaving the Patriots with Bussey and Orhnberger as his replacement, of course they could see if Light can make the switch to Guard or right tackle because unless I missed my guess Vollmer is the starting LT next season. The holes are many and the FO has it's work cut out for them. Also if the patriots want the best Guard in the Draft they will take the guy who dominated Suh,Brandon Carter from Texas Tech.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

mb I know you high on the OG Iupati, and I have to say after watching him and today man can that guy play!  I'm almost convinced that he could be one of my top three choices at 22 or trade back a few spots pickup an extra pick and still pick him but this guy has mean written all over him.

He will be a nasty guard for us if we can land him, him and Calloway would make our line 10 times better, LT Vollmer, LG Mankins (if we can keep thim) C Donnolly, RG Iupati, RT Calloway I think gives the Pats a young and very strong OL for years to come pending we can sign Mankins long term. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Pats7393,

I think Koppen will be back at center, but your proposed line above would be impressive; I'd be pumped to see both Iupati and Calloway brought on board.  IMO the line would be instantly better and and can get back to winning the "battle in the trenches",  I'm sure Scar would love the challenge too.......

Thanks for the feedback, they showing the practices on the NFL network?  I'm gonna have to check them out if they replay them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Yes they showed the North's practice today, tomorrow they will show both and they are going all out in full pads.  I'm very fortunate to "work" from home so I get to watch them if I'm not on conf calls.  Tomorrow unfortunately is a call heavy day but there's always the mute button.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

i really hope we can get Myron Rolle
    the guy is a genius, on and off the feild.  and some people are saying that he would be a better fit as a LB than as a pure Safety.... thats the type of player that BB loves, and hes an absolute steal in the second round were hes projected to go, he was a surefire 1st rounder had he not gone off to england as a Rhodes Scholar

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Gulo,
    He's an intriguing prospect with an excellent blend of size, smarts and skill-set for the position, however he didn't play in 2009 and will need to prove to teams that football is his true passion and ambition if he expects to be taken in the top three rounds. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Jason that is a dream job.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

Anyone know of any other guys they are keeping an eye on?

thanks for listing some of the guys you are high on right now - im looking forward to the practices and the combine is less than a month away!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I want to see Torrell Troup DE/DT 6'3" 315, only thing is he comes from a small school, UCF.  I think he will show this week he can play against OL from the big schools, he had a good start yesterday.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/331841-ucfs-torell-troup-shows-off-skills-in-east-west-shrine-game

Another guy I want to see how he does this offseason through workouts is Koa Misi DE/OLB would be a OLB in the Pats system
    6'3" 265 very good player, played for Utah.  This guy IMO would be a solid OLB, decent pass rush, good against the run and will be able to drop back (that's the one he'll need to work on the most) but this guy could be pleasant surprise in later rounds 4th or 5th

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

A couple of potential offense sleepers that I'm high on are:

Sean Canfield - 6-4 215 QB Oregon State- Tough pocket QB with protypical size,  accurate with his throws and has good pocket awarness.  He's also been reasonably productive in the Pac 10 putting up 303 of 446 (67.9) for 3271 21 TD/7 INT as a senior.  He's a potential 3rd or 4th rounder.

Riley Cooper - 6-3 214 WR Florida (yeah, I'm big on Florida guys, ha) big, possession type receiver who could conceivably an outside guy opposite Moss.  Good athlete (drafted by the MLB, but chose NFL), has a good overall skill set for a WR, can probably be had in the 3rd or 4th.  I'm curious to see how he does against press/man coverage.

Jimmy Graham - 6-6 260 TE Miami- big, athletic former UM basketball player that could at the very least provide matchup problems in the red zone, competing for jump balls.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Look about a minute into this one, see kyle wilson 1 on 1 yesterday.  What you see here is the same as all five times I've seen him so far in practices, excellent position, right there with the WRs.

Only one WR caught a pass on him, was a 4 yard out route but Wilson was right on him so minimal gain on the play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ODX2ZCEZvg

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

Where do you think Graham is gonna be taken? I think the patriots will need to address the RB and TE position this offseason. The tightend position is more in need THIS 2010 season, with the expected Watson walking. I think the patriots could be in line in the 2011 draft for a running back. Ingram selected to return for 1 more year. And the Raiders pick looks like an awfully nice position.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Depending on how Graham performs during the Senior Bowl/Combine/Pro-day, he could go anywhere from 4-7, IMO.  Talented and athletic, but extremely raw.

I don't see a scenario in which NE holds off on an RB this year with the specifice hope of landing Ingram (wasn't eligible for the draft this year) next year.  There are too many variables that come into play, what if he regresses, gets injured or chooses to play another year at Alabama?  Way too many uncertainties, bad draft philosophy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

with the talend and depth at RB this year including some names that I didn't even know but Mayock has spoken very highly on as 3rd or 4th rounders there's no way we don't pickup up a thumper or a KF type player.

There's good depth at both, it wouldn't even surprise me if they pickup one of each if they get Laura go and don't bring back Taylor or Morris.

Into the mix though, I would like to see what BJGE can do.  All games he has played in he's been productive.  I think he could be a much better option than LM. 

But a back is drafted this year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjaycee. Show jjaycee's posts

SO FAR- LB/S- MYRON ROLLE- RHODES SCHOLAR, INTEL MAKES HIM A NATURAL LEADER, ON THE D??? IF HE'S THAT GOOD??

LUPATI AND CALLOWAY, 2 BIG TOUGH O LINEMEN WITH ALL THE NECESSARY THE O LINE NEEDS TO REGAIN IT'S REP AGAIN.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

Keep your eye on CJ Spiller - I think at #22 he could fall right into the patriots laps. If the patriots think they can get a top pass rusher in the second round. Dont be suprised to see them snag Spiller.

Never fumbled in college. Explosive running back. Played special teams in returning kicks and punts at Clemson.

Most mock drafts have him going in the middle of the 1st round. I dont see many teams primarily interested in a running back in this area.

10. Jaguars - MJD
    11. Broncos - Moreno -1st round pick last year
    12. Dolphins - Brown and Williams
    13. 49ers - Frank Gore and Coffee
    14. Seahawks - Forsett and Jones
    15. Giants - Bradshaw and Jacobs
    16. Titans - Chris Johnson
    17. 49ers - Gore and Coffee
    18. Steelers - Mendenhall - 1st round pick two years ago
    19. Falcons - Turner
    20. Texans - Slaton ** Potential threat ** worst running team in the NFL
    21. Bengals - Cedric Benson
    22. Patriots - Maroney, Morris, and Taylor - entering final year of their contracts.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Kyle nice list, it does seem CJ could drop to 22 but with his talent a team like the seahawks really can't count on those two RBs.  They might try to get a RB here and get their QB of the future in the 2nd rnd.  The Bengals also might be looking for a 2nd RB, I don't think Benson can match his 2009 season.

I'm a bit partial at grabing Kyle Wilson CB Boise at 22 or trade down a bit pickup an extra pick in 3rd or 4th and still pick Wilson who should be there in the late 20s. 

Watching the senior bowl practices I'm amazed at how much depth at RB there is.  There are a ton of talent, yes CJ is more of a "sure thing" but there's value at the RB through the 4th round.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

Heard McCluster is a guy thats really performing at the Senior Bowl practices. He was a hero in Ole Miss. seems like a true speedster that could play special teams in the first year. not an immediate impact player in his first year but one that could become dangerous in a spread offense. maybe take him later in a 4th round or 5th.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Boston-kyle,
    McCluster is at worst a 3rd rounder, more likely to be taken in rd 2.