Players who I believe will improve their stock when the pads come on...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Players who I believe will improve their stock when the pads come on...

I'm looking forward to Training Camp.  Pads come on, contact drills are allowed, and the true football players get a chance to show their skills.  OTAs are great, but they really don't show us much.  They are basically a passing camp.  I think we have some young players on our roster who will open some eyes in camp.  This is all speculation and guess work of course, but here is a list of players who will have a better chance of making the team at the end of July than they do today, in my opinion...

Jemea Thomas

Roy Finch  (not a typo.  I know he is small, but I think his pass catching ability and elusiveness will look even better in pads.)

Cameron Gordon

Braxton Cave

Aaron Dobson  (I think he will be healthy and ready to go)

Patrick Chung (Just a guy feeling, but I think Chung will have a good camp)

Chris Jones 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Players who I believe will improve their stock when the pads come on...

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm looking forward to Training Camp.  Pads come on, contact drills are allowed, and the true football players get a chance to show their skills.  OTAs are great, but they really don't show us much.  They are basically a passing camp.  I think we have some young players on our roster who will open some eyes in camp.  This is all speculation and guess work of course, but here is a list of players who will have a better chance of making the team at the end of July than they do today, in my opinion...

Jemea Thomas

Roy Finch  (not a typo.  I know he is small, but I think his pass catching ability and elusiveness will look even better in pads.)

Cameron Gordon

Braxton Cave

Chris Jones 

[/QUOTE]

I agree with Dobson and Cave. I think they both open camp looking and playing very confidently and much improved over last year. Speaking with people who have seen them recently, they both look much better than last year. Bigger, stronger, much more confident.

I have never seen Finch play, but heard a lot of good things from OTA's regarding his speed and strength

Its been a while since I have seen Chung. I would like to see how big he is. He was always in that "tweener" category here...not quite big enough and not quite fast enough. When he tried to play big, he always got hurt. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Jemea Thomas

Cameron Gordon

Braxton Cave

Chris Jones 

[/QUOTE]

I agree with Dobson and Cave. I think they both open camp looking and playing very confidently and much improved over last year. Speaking with people who have seen them recently, they both look much better than last year. Bigger, stronger, much more confident.

I have never seen Finch play, but heard a lot of good things from OTA's regarding his speed and strength

Its been a while since I have seen Chung. I would like to see how big he is. He was always in that "tweener" category here...not quite big enough and not quite fast enough. When he tried to play big, he always got hurt. 

[/QUOTE]

Good feedback.  Yeah, I'm hopeful and excited about what Dobson can bring to the table this year.  

On Chung, I've always liked him more than most Patriot fans.  I hope they don't ask him to do too much.  I don't think he is a starter.  Never really has been.  But I think he is a good reserve Safety and a really good ST team player.  He has always been a guy who relays on his instincts.  He has a knack for timing blitzes, blocking kicks, etc.  If he makes the team and stays healthy, I bet he will make 2-3 huge plays for this team that will help them win games.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

[/QUOTE]

Good feedback.  Yeah, I'm hopeful and excited about what Dobson can bring to the table this year.  

On Chung, I've always liked him more than most Patriot fans.  I hope they don't ask him to do too much.  I don't think he is a starter.  Never really has been.  But I think he is a good reserve Safety and a really good ST team player.  He has always been a guy who relays on his instincts.  He has a knack for timing blitzes, blocking kicks, etc.  If he makes the team and stays healthy, I bet he will make 2-3 huge plays for this team that will help them win games.  

[/QUOTE]

I too think Chung makes a good addition to the team in a reserve and ST role.  Can't see him physically holding up to a full-time role and I hope there are already better options on the team for the starting role. Whether it's Harmon, Wilson or even Ryan.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Chung has too many strikes for

His fake punt aginst the Jets

His lining up to the inside of the Hasmark instend of outside in the Db

which allowed the then perfect eli pass  for the winning drive

All the otehr players listed - i have no idea

The bad taste in my mputh from last yrs denver loss was watching out Oline get manhandled . This is really keeping my optimism down from past years. WE have enough talent, a deent schedule and great coaching to do well in the regular season, but then.......

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

It is interesting that the Pats took 2 smaller players: 5'6" RB, Roy Finch and the 5'7" WR Jeremy Gallon. Both are talented, elusive players who could function in a ST capacity as KR. Who will make the team? I can't see the Pats keeping both of them on the starting 53. And will either clear waivers to get to the PS?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to NYC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It is interesting that the Pats took 2 smaller players: 5'6" RB, Roy Finch and the 5'7" WR Jeremy Gallon. Both are talented, elusive players who could function in a ST capacity as KR. Who will make the team? I can't see the Pats keeping both of them on the starting 53. And will either clear waivers to get to the PS?

[/QUOTE]

Gallon sat out OTAs with an injury of some kind.  This is purely speculation by me, but I wouldn't be suprised if BB IR'd him with a phantom injury this year...the 'ol rookie red-shirt season so to speak.  We'll see.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

[QUOTE]

Jemea Thomas

Cameron Gordon

Braxton Cave

Chris Jones 

[/QUOTE]

If you think a.dobson is gonna play before turkey day than I'm afraid you are a fool.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Always good to know where ya stand when you think differently from someone else.  I guess I too am a fool, but I digress.

I think Chung can make a serious contribution in a reserve role and on ST.  I have high hopes for Dobson and will be very inerested in how he does in camp.  I'd like to see Jones make a jump this year as well.

Don't really know enough about the rest to make an intelligent comment about them but, then again, since when has that been a criteria for posting on this board.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to Fletcherbrook's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Jemea Thomas

Cameron Gordon

Braxton Cave

Chris Jones 

[/QUOTE]

If you think a.dobson is gonna play before turkey day than I'm afraid you are a fool.

[/QUOTE]

I'll bet you whatever you want that Dobson plays before Thanksgiving.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Gallon sat out OTAs with an injury of some kind.  This is purely speculation by me, but I wouldn't be suprised if BB IR'd him with a phantom injury this year...the 'ol rookie red-shirt season so to speak.  We'll see.

[/QUOTE]

I agree.  It's a classic BB GM maneuver that goes unnoticed within his managerial genius.  We have an overload at WR, so the pick screams like "we didn't want to pass on the value/talent in that round so we'll just bury him for a year and see what he can do in 2015"...sort of thing.

BB likely won't be going WR in the draft next year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Pretty excited to see Cave from what I heard about him.

I actually really want to see what White looks like. After hearing BB speak it sounds like he could be the player we thought Vereen was going to be. Which would be great because we've been missing that type of player since we let Woodhead go but White has more potential to be better.

Dobson I just want to get healthy. Rushing back a foot injury only lads to more problems. Whether he's here come turkey day or not just as long as his foot gets 100% for the future is more important. Though this WR core is going to need help. Can't put everything on Edelman again this year. Need some help from somewhere.

Hope Gallon isn't anything major. It seems every player BB "stashes" on rook red shirt usually gets cut the year after and doesn't last long. We have to stop thinking of it as stashing away anymore because truth is these kids don't last long unless they play period Demps, Moe, Herman.

Chung I'd normally give no shot at making the team but honestly Harmon seems like a good SS (not starter quality yet) and T. Wilson feels like another Butler (flashed a couple of plays but looked mostly lost) so he's got a chance to make the squad.

Outside of the top 4 LB's we have STer's at LB so someone needs to step up. It should be very interesting to see which LB's have a shot Gordon, Hull, White, Davis. But this seems like a weaker position in terms of depth (yes I know they have 11 in camp but just having bodies doesn't mean you have depth, see DE position last year and well DT too for that matter)

Heard Buchanan got bigger, I want to see him in pads. He looked lost and a 1 trick pony last year that got overwhelming. Considering their complete lack of depth at that position last year where they had to play both starters 95+% of plays Buchanan really needs to step up, esp with Smith being an unknown with that knee not fully ready to go yet.

Along that note I'm excited to see what Moore can do. He was dominant in AA can that translate to the Pro's? If so he could be a great find and turn some heads this season. I really want to see what he looks like against better players because he has a ton of potential.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think it's a little early for those tactics, if it was the end of training camp I could see that for sure, but not now. Keep in mind if this kid can help us at the receiver spot it's not like the whole thing is locked up with sure fire, experienced starters. I bet they are just being cautious.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

People have been posting above they think Dobson is going to have a breakout season...that would be awesome. I hope that foot is ready to go.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

I've mentioned this before, but I am really interested in watching Boyce, James White and Collins in particular during preseason games.  I think each can fill big needs in their own ways.

Boyce should be a guy who can hopefully, not only be used inside and out, but might be the problem solver on kick off returns.

Collins emerged last year, but in limited duty.  I think he's got what it takes make the jump.

White just intrigues me by the way he runs and his vision.  I'd like to see him run a bit lower through the line, but he hits the hole well and seems to see the seams well in advance which should bode well for the zone blocking schemes. Word is he's a good pass protector, too, which of course is a must for BB.

I know what to expect with Easley based on him seeing play a few times at Florida. It sounds like he's on schedule with Gronk to be start the year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

I want to see Dominique Easley when the pads come on. Hopefully he is healthy. But the guy fires off the ball incredibly fast. I dont know if he times the snap count or is just that quick. Also Finch is like a pinball bouncing off tacklers. And are we ever going to see Armstead in pads???

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to dfitzp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I want to see Dominique Easley when the pads come on. Hopefully he is healthy. But the guy fires off the ball incredibly fast. I dont know if he times the snap count or is just that quick. Also Finch is like a pinball bouncing off tacklers. And are we ever going to see Armstead in pads???

[/QUOTE]

If you watch his college clips, he is the first guy off the snap literally on every down.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Easley will not lose a step once the pads are on...he's the fastest DL you'll ever see off the snap...his strength will amaze you once the hitting starts...

Finch is built like a greek god and has amazing quickness...he also doesn't seem to lose speed and quickness with pads on.

Houston, the FA RB from Indiana is someone I want to see with pads on...he's a fast, strong one cut thumper who can catch out of the backfield...when he breaks into the secondary he's pretty much impossible to bring down because of his strength and speed.

Gallon....he's a keeper but they're stockpiled at WR...I agree with his "injury" status to end up on IR because he'd never make it to the practice squad without being grabbed by someone.

Halapio....want to see what this guy looks like with TWO good arms...he's a classic tough guy, ala Joe Andruzzi, and has a rep for having a mean streak...I want to see him pound some guys around his size while run blocking.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Agreed on Gallon.

I would not be surprised if BB will bury Gallon on IR. In fact, I can't recall Gallon missing a game at Michigan and at Apopka HS in FL (Warren Sapp, Brandon Merriweather) he suffered only a minor ankle injury but lost little time.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

TJ Moe part 2?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]

TJ Moe part 2?

[/QUOTE]

Hopefully not the same result.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I heard Chung scored some Pixie Dust that will magically transform him from the suck azz player that was cut from 2 teams in 2 years to a great player.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

[QUOTE]

TJ Moe part 2?

[/QUOTE]
     At the 7th round all one can do is draft potential. How he will develop from here in  NFL terms is hard to predict.

From what I have seen and read about him he has already come along way: from growing up in poverty and struggling academically to get to D-1 and to actually graduate from Michigan. So, in my eyes he is already a success.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

I loved this kid enough to start a thread about him on draft day.

STEVE BEAUHARNAIS !!!!!

That is all...........

"Don't touch my Leatherhelmet!!"

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Buchanan and all  the interior O-lineman who most likely will be fighting for the starting center/right guard spots and the one or two reserves spots.

Buchanan was a real productive player his junior year at Illinois with 7.5 sacks and 13 tackles for losses. If he had not broken his jaw and lost 25 lbs. the summer of his senior season he might have been a late first day or 2nd day pick. He struggled to put the weight back on  his senior year and wasn't as productive as he should have been  that year. He will be very interesting to watch in camp this year.