Playing at Wembley

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTLadyluvsPats. Show CTLadyluvsPats's posts

Playing at Wembley

What do you guys think about the Patriots playing in London this year? I kind of don't like the idea.

Traveling that far in the middle of the season can't be good for a team. Then there's the crappy soccer field and crappy weather (lol) they have over there. Remember that Miami vs. Giants game? Rain, slippery horrible field, the crowd didn't really seem to grasp when it was appropriate to be quiet and when to make noise, etc., etc.....ugh. I really hope this game turns out better than that one did.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

Re: Playing at Wembley

Hey Laurie, at least it's not a home game for us so we don't lose that. I remember reading about last years game where the players were scared they were blow out a knee, hammy or a groin because of big chunks of turf being dug up. No I think this experiment has run it's course, if anything lets' keep the NFL in the Americas.
    Games in Mexico, Canada are as far enough for teams to go to.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTLadyluvsPats. Show CTLadyluvsPats's posts

Hey Laurie, at least it's not a home game for us so we don't lose that. I remember reading about last years game where the players were scared they were blow out a knee, hammy or a groin because of big chunks of turf being dug up. No I think this experiment has run it's course, if anything lets' keep the NFL in the Americas. Games in Mexico, Canada are as far enough for teams to go to.
    Posted by Harleyroadking111

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about...injuries! Especially Tommy's knee. (I told my S.O. that I kind of hope he wears [what I call] the 'Dan Marino' knee brace.) Scares me to think of him getting that leg/joint hyperflexed again!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

Hey Laurie, at least it's not a home game for us so we don't lose that. I remember reading about last years game where the players were scared they were blow out a knee, hammy or a groin because of big chunks of turf being dug up. No I think this experiment has run it's course, if anything lets' keep the NFL in the Americas. Games in Mexico, Canada are as far enough for teams to go to.
    Posted by Harleyroadking111

You're absolutely right about the field conditions which makes the Super Bowl idea even more of a joke. The only saving grace is the bye week that follows.

If we lose a player due to poor field conditions it will be time to string up Roger from a goal post. In the US of course

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

What do you guys think about the Patriots playing in London this year? I kind of don't like the idea. Traveling that far in the middle of the season can't be good for a team. Then there's the crappy soccer field and crappy weather (lol) they have over there. Remember that Miami vs. Giants game? Rain, slippery horrible field, the crowd didn't really seem to grasp when it was appropriate to be quiet and when to make noise, etc., etc.....ugh. I really hope this game turns out better than that one did.
    Posted by CTLadyluvsPats

Didn't hurt the Giants that year...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Traveling to London from the east coast is not vastly different from traveling to San Diego (or Seattle or Oakland or San Francisco) -- imagine how the Chargers feel about the travel involved for them last year -- but you have all hit the nail squarely on the head about why this game is a bad idea. The track at Wembley is disgraceful and any team that comes out of this game without a major injury should consider itself blessed. I don't have a firm handle on how Brits view this game. From what I've seen in the past, the fans don't appear to understand the action very well, but perhaps that is changing over time. I can only assume there is a big pot of gold involved in this somewhere, or else the league wouldn't bother with it, but I'm willing to bet that no one who actually has to play in it has any use for it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Traveling to London from the east coast is not vastly different from traveling to San Diego (or Seattle or Oakland or San Francisco) -- imagine how the Chargers feel about the travel involved for them last year -- but you have all hit the nail squarely on the head about why this game is a bad idea. The track at Wembley is disgraceful and any team that comes out of this game without a major injury should consider itself blessed. I don't have a firm handle on how Brits view this game. From what I've seen in the past, the fans don't appear to understand the action very well, but perhaps that is changing over time. I can only assume there is a big pot of gold involved in this somewhere, or else the league wouldn't bother with it, but I'm willing to bet that no one who actually has to play in it has any use for it.
    Posted by prairiemike

Hey maybe they can bring out that giant statue of Jason Taylor they had there in '07 and just change the uni to Pats gear.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I am not sweating it, its the Bucs and there is no way the bucs rookie head coach can out coach belichick not gonna happen to no worries.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Field conditions could stink. I am trying to get a friend of mine at Goldman Sachs (London) to get me some tickets and then crossing the big pond to attend. Could be one of the more interesting fan experiences I've had in a long time. But most of you are right; games should be played in North America. I can't see the NFL being more than a novelty to diehard soccer fans.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanUK. Show PatsFanUK's posts

Hello all - I posted on here when it was originally announced that the Pats were playing over here this season, so I figured I'd offer my thoughts re: playing at Wembley:

1. The distance, as mentioned, is the same as heading out to the west coast, so that shouldn't be a huge problem (although it is a 5 hour difference instead of 3?)

2. The pitch has been terrible for ages, which is surprising as the original Wembley Stadium was famed for having the best playing surface. The recent FA Cup semi finals had similar issues (huge clumps of sod flying up whenever anyone did a sliding tackle) - to the point that the head groundsman has been fired and the pitch completely relaid. I hope it's in better condition for the game in October, as the potential for injuries is a very real issue.

3. As for games being played over here at all - I can see why it's upsetting (especially if losing 1 of 8 home games) for domestic fans, but as long as the games sell out (and the Pats-Bucs sold out in minutes apparently) then I'm sure Goodell will continue to explore the potential of expanding the NFL market (much as the English Premier League does globally). Isn't there talk of 2 games being played in the UK next year now?

Personally, I think playing regular season games abroad rather detracts from the fabric of the game - but I'm delighted to have my Pats over here this time round! My Ted Johnson jersey will be worn with pride once again!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

I'm glad for the UK Patriot fan base over there.  They have quite a contingent.  Bob Kraft rolled out the red carpet for them a few years ago at Gillette (UKPat can verify).  Good group of fans.  If I had the money and the time, I'd make the trip.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTLadyluvsPats. Show CTLadyluvsPats's posts

Hello all - I posted on here when it was originally announced that the Pats were playing over here this season, so I figured I'd offer my thoughts re: playing at Wembley: 1. The distance, as mentioned, is the same as heading out to the west coast, so that shouldn't be a huge problem (although it is a 5 hour difference instead of 3?) 2. The pitch has been terrible for ages, which is surprising as the original Wembley Stadium was famed for having the best playing surface. The recent FA Cup semi finals had similar issues (huge clumps of sod flying up whenever anyone did a sliding tackle) - to the point that the head groundsman has been fired and the pitch completely relaid. I hope it's in better condition for the game in October, as the potential for injuries is a very real issue. 3. As for games being played over here at all - I can see why it's upsetting (especially if losing 1 of 8 home games) for domestic fans, but as long as the games sell out (and the Pats-Bucs sold out in minutes apparently) then I'm sure Goodell will continue to explore the potential of expanding the NFL market (much as the English Premier League does globally). Isn't there talk of 2 games being played in the UK next year now? Personally, I think playing regular season games abroad rather detracts from the fabric of the game - but I'm delighted to have my Pats over here this time round! My Ted Johnson jersey will be worn with pride once again!
    Posted by PatsFanUK

Hi UK. I hope you didn't take any offense to my post as that wasn't my intent. Moreover, seems that you're very educated about the NFL. Laughing  My main concern is the injury aspect. That sod just doesn't look to be made for big, heavy NFL players and that's what worries me. I really do hope they address it.

Actually, if memory serves didn't they just install a retractable roof on Wembley? If so, that could fix the sloppy field situation. What do you think? Do they play soccer in there right up until the NFL games (e.g. up to a day or two before)?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from munichpatsfan. Show munichpatsfan's posts

Hi Laurie, 

I don´t exactly know what the problem is in the new Wembley Stadium but a retractable roof isn´t the cure. It can safe you from getting wet, but that´s all. 

In Germany we have some new stadiums too and the problem with a sloppy field seems to be always the same. The new stadiums always have some sort of roof above the stands so that the sun cannot shine to the turf for enough hours and the effect is that the leafs of sod cannot accumulate completely. (oh my god, sorry for my english here, I´m no botanist). 

Wembley is not the home field of any soccer club, so playing soccer in there 
    isn´t the problem. Wembley is some sort of huge event arena. Concerts, international matches of several british national teams etc. The concerts should be the bigger concern in my eyes. 

PatsFanUK please correct me if I´m completely wrong.

Greetz from Germany

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

Well we don't lose a home game and there will be a lot of English NE fans there because we have a large fan base there so its like a 9th home game. The weather in England usually stinks (I know my wife ia a Brit and I go there a lot) but sometimes all the stars align and there could be nice conditions.

go Pats!!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

So, the Bucs are playing a "home" game where they have to travel 1500 miles more than the Patriots, and they have to play in a cool rain with windy conditions, something more like New England gets, and there aren't any Bucs fans in Olde England. 

For the record, both teams get the next week off to mitigate the travel problems.  Both teams will be coming off of hard games the previous week.  Tampa Bay has to play division rival 12-4 Carolina, and New England has to play Tennessee.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

I'm a Bostonian living in Tampa.  I figure the difference in travel at about 1100 miles or about 2 hours of air time.  But the Bucs facilities are virtually at the airport here so the players aren't traveling to get to the airport at all. 

They also have fans in the UK.  I hear them call into local sports talk shows a lot.  They often become fans when they vacation here. 
    I also wonder if the fact that the Glazers who own the Bucs also own the Manchester United has an effect, either positive or negative, on UK fan support.

All that said, the Pats would beat the Bucs if the game was played in Tampa and the Pats had to fly here with a lay over in London.

Sections
Shortcuts