Please convince me...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

Please convince me...

I know that NE just signed Tory Holt, but reading through most of these posts, seem to put too much stock into our current WR's.  I apologize if im wrong, but like I said "convince me"

Moss is a year older...still effective but none the less a year older.

Welker...forget about it.

Aiken...yeah right

Edelman...showed alot of potential but he is not WW...yet.

Tate...I dont know why so many people think that this guy so great.  what have you seen to believe that.  He needs to get on the field first...and yes I did see the london game vs bucs.

I dont think that NE needs to draft a WR in the first two rounds, but they are going to need to pick up a couple more so they can start the weeding out process.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Re: Please convince me...

In Response to Please convince me...:
    I know that NE just signed Tory Holt, but reading through most of these posts, seem to put too much stock into our current WR's.  I apologize if im wrong, but like I said "convince me" Moss is a year older...still effective but none the less a year older. Welker...forget about it. Aiken...yeah right Edelman...showed alot of potential but he is not WW...yet. Tate...I dont know why so many people think that this guy so great.  what have you seen to believe that.  He needs to get on the field first...and yes I did see the london game vs bucs. I dont think that NE needs to draft a WR in the first two rounds, but they are going to need to pick up a couple more so they can start the weeding out process.
    Posted by patsfaninsatx

I believe the same, a WR is not picked until at least the 4th round (Andre Roberts is an option or Riley Cooper another)  There's some depth through out the draft at WR, not all are studs and sure #1s but good size speed and hands.  I believe you see a sub 6'0 and a over 6'2" guy drafted.  David Gettis is a guy I like in the 6th or 7th, catches everything thrown his way, has good speed for a big WR and decent route runner. 

We do need to get a couple of guys, there's a chance even though there are WRs on the roster to improve talent.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

In Response to Re: Please convince me...:
    We won super bowls with Branch, Brown, Patten and Givens.   An older Moss, Holt and developing Edelman(after a full year under his belt at a new position) sounds comparable to those guys even if they were younger.  Remember out of the group that won super bowls Brown was the only one with a 1,000 yd season and he only did that once.  Also none of the others ever did anything outside of the Patriots.  We do not need super stars at WR just guys that understand the system and can do their job.  Brady will take care of the rest. 
    Posted by mikec645

They were all reliable receivers - Brady could count on them to be at the right place at the right time and make the catch (which is why we will never draft Dez).  Are Tate and Edelman reliable?  Is Holt?  Even Moss - he's not quick enough to run all the routes that Branch could. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

This year I think the Pats will start addressing more offensive positions along with defense instead of being mostly defense only with their top draft picks. Can see a WR and TE as 2 of the top 4 picks, the other two being pass rush focused on the DL, OLB. Next year we'll probably see a offensive minded draft hitting quite few more positions ROL, RB, WR, QB earlier on.

As far as our receivers for this year, yes Moss is getting older but he can still get 80 catches for 1100 yards and 10+ TD's. Think Holt brings us a WR that opposing defenses need to account for (not like a Aiken last year). This will help Moss some and if Holt gets 50 catches for 700 yards and 5 TD's it will be considered a good year. Edlemann is probably not WW yet but he did show a lot of promise last year. With a year under his belt I can see some more improvements on becoming the future slot receiver on this team. Speaking of WW I really don't expect him back until Thanksgiving or so. Going to be hard to say how he'll do this year, just so he doesn't have any setbacks. The other receivers are either unproven or proven incapable of having any huge impact on the team. In the end thinking we see our WR depth be.

1. Moss
    2. Edlemann
    3. Holt
    4. <Rookie />
    5. Tate
    6? Aiken

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Please convince me...:
    In Response to Re: Please convince me... : They were all reliable receivers - Brady could count on them to be at the right place at the right time and make the catch (which is why we will never draft Dez).  Are Tate and Edelman reliable?  Is Holt?  Even Moss - he's not quick enough to run all the routes that Branch could. 
    Posted by themightypatriotz

Tate is hard to tell but with Edelman, Brady started to throw the ball before Edelman even made his final cut and look back. To me that shows trust in his route running abilities on Brady's part. You also can't question Holt in route running. He is easily one of the top 10 best route running WR's this decade 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Keep in mind Green and Julio Jones (2011 Drafteg: Raiders pick) could be as good or better than any current WR in this years draft. I might even put Michael Floyd on that 2011 list. Holt teaches Tate and Edelman the route tree and Crumpler teaches any TE we draft this year how to block and get open in the red zone. People keep talking about the depth of this year's draft, but I only see 4 or 5 players making an impact there first season. McClain will not be better than Patrick Willis, no OLB/DE will be better than Demarcus Ware. Suh could be the next Seymour and Spiller the next Chris Johnson, but, aside from a plethora of LTs that go in the first, this draft will yeild as more starters, but arguably, a similar # of pro-bowlers compared to any other year.

Sections
Shortcuts