Please explain or answer this question...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Please explain or answer this question...

Why is the defender always called for the helmet to helmet penalty. On many occassions yesterday and in every other game this year the runners and pass recievers led with their helmets when they were tackled yet it always goes against the D.

I just do not understand that philosphy by the NFL.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: Please explain or answer this question...

Excellent question. We might also ask why for the most part only the defender is flagged for a face mask. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why is the defender always called for the helmet to helmet penalty. On many occassions yesterday and in every other game this year the runners and pass recievers led with their helmets when they were tackled yet it always goes against the D.

[/QUOTE]

Im so sick of what the league has become(although I still watch) whatever they told the refs! IDK, but the game s*cks in that regard.

Everytime I see a big Hit, I can expect the flags to come out. Its no longer about helmet to helmet. Now its just (u cant make a big hit) Most of the time, they arent even head hunting but how in the world can you tell someone to go full speed and give them a shoulder and not expect their helmets to touch?!??!  Its a Joke!  I hate how the league had this knee jerk reactions and subsequent rule emphasis and still allow coaches to rush the passer on kneel downs!?!? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from clouts. Show clouts's posts

Because if the defender wasn't there, then the ballcarrier wouldn't be hitting his head on anything.

Stupid, but that is the reasoning.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Because the rule is to protect receivers, not defenders. The reason for that is it is the receiver who is generally at risk as they are trying to catch the ball and so are unable to protect themselves from the oncoming hit.

You can not like the rule but that is why it is written this way.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not asking about recievers. I'm asking about runners every time a runeer goes into the line it is usually by leading with his head/helmet. Every time he is in the open field and a DB or 2 come at a runner he lowers his head/helmet. Yet they never get called for instigating the H to H hit and never penalized. It is so wrong.
    Because the rule is to protect receivers, not defenders. The reason for that is it is the receiver who is generally at risk as they are trying to catch the ball and so are unable to protect themselves from the oncoming hit.

You can not like the rule but that is why it is written this way.

[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I do not care for this apparent contradiction either.  The way I see it, leading with your helmet is either penalty or it's not.  Shouldn't matter, IMO, if you're on O or on D.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

The rule is to defend defenseless players.  Quarterbacks in the pocket, and receivers during or immediately after the catch; these are players who are not able to defend themselves, who cannot reasonably be expected to avoid a hit.  A runner going at a defender are two guys who should be aware of the coming contact and both are able to make adjustments to avoid injuries.  A helmet-to-helmet in this situation is neither's fault (or both's) and thus is not called.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Offense sells tickets, if your kids play football make sure to tell them to stay on the offensive side of the ball... the number of yellow flags has almost doubled in a decade which explains the bloated scores in today's NFL.

10. This post has been removed.