Please take leash off Jamie Collins

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Please take leash off Jamie Collins

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4765491/lb-jamie-collins-gets-job-done-in-coverage" rel="nofollow">http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4765491/lb-jamie-collins-gets-job-done-in-coverage

I think it's safe to say this kid is going to be one of the better coverage LB's in the NFL.  His size, speed, ability to quickly change direction and overall athletisism is truly a rarity and something to behold.  And I realize in a passing league this is the kind of guy you need to match up against those shifty players that make offenses go.  Yet I am hoping, praying that this kid is used more in blitz's and allowed to get after the QB.  He showed every bit as much promise in rushing the passer as he did in coverage last year, and it would be a shame not to give him many opportunities to rack up the sacks.  BB has spent his entire coaching career trying to replace two players, Mark Bavaro and Lawrence Taylor (with an emphasis on Bavaro because you don't replace LT).  He's finally got his Bavaro with Gronk, and he may have come as close to replacing LT as he is ever going to do with Collins.  That being said, it would be a shame to just have him shadow passers all game long.  Effective most certainly, but a shame never the less. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

Re: Please take leash off Jamie Collins

Oh, i think it is coming off.  Bb has been brilliant in recent drafts, that is for sure.

The bb bashing.in here in recent seasons and even still right now, has been atrocious.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to agill1970's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4765491/lb-jamie-collins-gets-job-done-in-coverage" rel="nofollow">http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4765491/lb-jamie-collins-gets-job-done-in-coverage" rel="nofollow">http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4765491/lb-jamie-collins-gets-job-done-in-coverage

I think it's safe to say this kid is going to be one of the better coverage LB's in the NFL.  His size, speed, ability to quickly change direction and overall athletisism is truly a rarity and something to behold.  And I realize in a passing league this is the kind of guy you need to match up against those shifty players that make offenses go.  Yet I am hoping, praying that this kid is used more in blitz's and allowed to get after the QB.  He showed every bit as much promise in rushing the passer as he did in coverage last year, and it would be a shame not to give him many opportunities to rack up the sacks.  BB has spent his entire coaching career trying to replace two players, Mark Bavaro and Lawrence Taylor (with an emphasis on Bavaro because you don't replace LT).  He's finally got his Bavaro with Gronk, and he may have come as close to replacing LT as he is ever going to do with Collins.  That being said, it would be a shame to just have him shadow passers all game long.  Effective most certainly, but a shame never the less. 

[/QUOTE]

Although he excelled in coverage, he is also a great blitzer and the good news is that James Anderson is here for that too. Not sure how they get him on the field. Maybe some unique packages. A.Hart was saying Anderson is the exception to the rule that backers cant cover backs. He has displayed great coverage on backs out the backfield. I believe he is our best coverage guy. Collins probably 2nd with Mayo being 3rd. This allows BB to bring different guys on different plays. I hope he gets back to mixing it up and this depends on how much he trusts the guys to execute. If this D can back to when we had Phifer and those guys and freelanced and played games, it will make life hard on Qbs once again.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4160947. Show user_4160947's posts

I agree with your assessment of Collins.  He seems multidimensional and should be proficient at rushing the passer and in coverage.  My question is this.  Does BB really value rushing the passer?  His actions say no.  I think this was one reason that Dan Pees only lasted a year here- he rushed/blitzed too often.  BB seems to prefer a D that stays home and limits rushing yardage by the RBs.  Perhaps, with the increased protection of QBs and favoring WRs in PI calls, this is an antiquated philosophy.  Revis will help tremendously in this area since he can cover for long stretches.  My hunch is that BB has changed his philosophy a little and will call for  pressure from the outside with Jones and W Smith.

By the way, Bavarro and LT are indeed hard to replace.  I think BB has been trying to replace McGinest, Seymour, and perhaps Brushci as well with little success.    

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Oh, i think it is coming off.  Bb has been brilliant in recent drafts, that is for sure.

The bb bashing.in here in recent seasons and even still right now, has been atrocious.

[/QUOTE]

Average to slightly above avg. period kid.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4765491/lb-jamie-collins-gets-job-done-in-coverage" rel="nofollow">http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4765491/lb-jamie-collins-gets-job-done-in-coverage" rel="nofollow">http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4765491/lb-jamie-collins-gets-job-done-in-coverage

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I love Collins and was the only one to predict the Pats would draft him but lets not get carried away saying he's the closest thing to LT BB has had. Collins has a ways to go before that happens and Jones might be closer to that comparison than Collins right now. But I am very excited to see he's looking great. Lets hope he continues down this path because Collins, Mayo, Hightower might be the best LB core we've had since Bruschi, Vrable, and McGinest. Yes I know McGinest was a flex LB/DE but I still have fond memerores of him at LB flying of the edge of getting an int.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

I am curious if this will continue to be a bend but dont break defense or a defense that will pressure and gamble (or both?)

I would be in favor of sending Jones, Easley, Collins and Hightower after the QB often.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to ronk1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am curious if this will continue to be a bend but dont break defense or a defense that will pressure and gamble (or both?)

I would be in favor of sending Jones, Easley, Collins and Hightower after the QB often.

[/QUOTE]

I think with the personnel assembled on defense you are going to see a defense that attacks and tries to dictate to the offense. The play of the secondary early on will hopefully allow them to play this type of D the entire year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I really think we are talking about a very unique player in Collins, I think he is capable of doing everything as a defender. I don't think we have a clue yet as to just how good he can be as a pass rusher, and we already know that he can cover like no linebacker we currently have. He is a true freak of nature...the sky is the limit.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

I think he is exactly what they thought they were getting years ago when they signed Adalius Thomas. A big, athletic linebacker, that can do ANYTHING. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to ronk1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Unless we incur significant injuries, there is no way I see this defense reacting and letting offenses dictate. When BB has a LB corp he trusts, he has let them loose in the past. I dont see it happening. Maybe on early downs but I sense a change in 3rd down D. I think we are gonna be coming after QBs. Makes the most sense w/this personnel as they are too competitive for that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Honestly, the only way Collins can come of the leash is if the rest of the defense can do their job correctly every single play and have BB trust that Collins will make the right moves. If our D-line falls apart again, you can't really just let Collins off his leash. However, by week 5 when Browner is back the secondary should be good enough to allow Collins to take a more active approach to rushing the QB, hopefully he can do that and still pick up reads if he needs to run down a RB.

I think we are all high on Collins, but before I crown him one of the next best LBers I want to see more and hope this defense stays healthy so guys like Collins and Jones can wreck havoc at and around the line.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Looking at the title this has photoshop opportunity written all over it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

He will dominate.  I'm so looking forward to seeing the Payton pouty face. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4765491/lb-jamie-collins-gets-job-done-in-coverage" rel="nofollow">http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4765491/lb-jamie-collins-gets-job-done-in-coverage" rel="nofollow">http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4765491/lb-jamie-collins-gets-job-done-in-coverage" rel="nofollow">http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4765491/lb-jamie-collins-gets-job-done-in-coverage" rel="nofollow">http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4765491/lb-jamie-collins-gets-job-done-in-coverage

[/QUOTE]

Although he excelled in coverage, he is also a great blitzer and the good news is that James Anderson is here for that too. Not sure how they get him on the field. Maybe some unique packages. A.Hart was saying Anderson is the exception to the rule that backers cant cover backs. He has displayed great coverage on backs out the backfield. I believe he is our best coverage guy. Collins probably 2nd with Mayo being 3rd. This allows BB to bring different guys on different plays. I hope he gets back to mixing it up and this depends on how much he trusts the guys to execute. If this D can back to when we had Phifer and those guys and freelanced and played games, it will make life hard on Qbs once again.

[/QUOTE]

WIth the better run D and better man to man coverage there will be more second and third and longs. THere will be plenty of opps for Anderson in the packages he will likely be best used in.

Sections
Shortcuts