Please tell me something

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Please tell me something

Games are not won in March. Still numerous holes to fill, but let's face it. Any of us who are fans, are walking around with a smile on our faces, right?

but this is what I want to know. Many, many of us posters here have repeatedly asked why this team won't spend some of the cap money on impact, younger players, rather than spread the money around, quantity over quality, past peak, low cost, high risk players. Just as many posters have lambasted us on this board, that the BB way has worked just fine, division title after division title...blah, blah, blah. 

Why are those people who have done the lambasting all giddy now with Revis and browner, when so many of us have been demanding these types of players for the past 4 years of free agency? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EastTraveler. Show EastTraveler's posts

Re: Please tell me something

I look it like this, there are just so many times (years now) that the team has gotten slapped in the head and suffered failure at not winning the big prize, i.e, Superbowl. Does BB and Brady really want to go to another SB without having a better than not shot at taking it all? I just don't think so. Taking players and thinking that they can play up when obviously their talent only goes so far is a big part of this past philosophy. Maybe, just maybe it appears they are now going another route as they have discovered that they are being left behind by teams and their management that have just plain done it better. Just my 2 cents…

Filling the stadium seats every game to me is just not enough and the incentive to get more and that decision in itself is a major game changer!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

He wasn't doing it the way we wanted, so he was right and we were idiots.  Now he's changing his tune and coming over to our side...and he's right so we're still idiots.

You're right, RKarp.  Those who have been backing him while telling us to stuff it should be upset right now at the Revis deal.  Those who spent all last season telling everyone how bad Revis is should be mortified.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Have they really changed the Patriot way?  I'm one of those guys who is perfectly happy being in the thick of it each and every year.  It's nice to go into every season knowing you will have a winning season and knowing you'll make the playoffs.  We don't just win division titles.  I'm pretty sure we were crowned AFC champs more than a few times too.  Only one team and one fan base can be happy each year.  No team and no fan base has had more reason to be happier than us for the past decade+.  That's just reality.

But what did we really do different this year?  We got the best DB in football at a pretty reasonable cap figure.  We got another good DB at a reasonable rate.  The only thing that strikes me as different from the past is that Revis' deal is structured such that it is really just a one year committment with a sizable amount of dead cap space in 2015.  That's a bit unusual, but worth it for Revis.  Was Browner's acquisition outside the norm for BB?  Only in the sense that this guy might actually play up to the expectations.  I think we just had a bit of good fortune where we could acquire two solid players for reasonable amounts.  It's not like BB never tried to bring in impact players.  They just haven't panned out that often.  The timing just happened to be very right this year.

All that said, I do think Talib taught BB a valuable lesson.  We got to see how much of a difference it made having a good physical DB in the game.  Our defense just wasn't the same when Talib was out.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Games are not won in March. Still numerous holes to fill, but let's face it. Any of us who are fans, are walking around with a smile on our faces, right?

but this is what I want to know. Many, many of us posters here have repeatedly asked why this team won't spend some of the cap money on impact, younger players, rather than spread the money around, quantity over quality, past peak, low cost, high risk players. Just as many posters have lambasted us on this board, that the BB way has worked just fine, division title after division title...blah, blah, blah. 

Why are those people who have done the lambasting all giddy now with Revis and browner, when so many of us have been demanding these types of players for the past 4 years of free agency? 

[/QUOTE]

Pretty hard not to be giddy,  you gotta admit.   Even Larry David would be excited about those two guys in your secondary.  then Adrian Wilson gets healthy... LMAO.     Can't wait to see who pats play in week 5   ...  NOthing but sacks and picks and guys laying on the ground , lol.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

I'm also one of the people who have been very happy with BB's performance as a GM over the last decade+. Does that mean I don't want to win the superbowl each year just because I'm happy how this team consistantly seems to have a chance every year? Of course not!! If we have a legit shot every year, I think that's all you can ask, and BB has delivered that. If he was such a horrible GM as some here seem to think, I don't think this team would have won half the games they have.

I have gotten used to the fact that BB doesn't always go out and spend the big $$ on the flashy FAs. Of course some here get really upset about him (usually) being a bargain shopper. Now that he broke away from his (usual) ways to land two excellent players to FINALLY address this defensive backfield, why does it really matter who is happy about it? Shouldn't we all be happy about it?

I'm not convinced BB has completely changed their line of thinking like some seem to think. I think he is just trying to make a great team better, and this year he went about it a little differently that past years. I personally don't care (HOW) we get there. I trust BB knows a hell of alot more about it than any of us....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

BB is still being BB.  You have to figure that once in a blue moon the Pats would get a name FA player of two to sign after all these years.

At this point, I, personally, am not giddy with the player moves the Pats have made so far. OK, they got Revis and Browner.  Is Revis 100% and the Pats do not get Browner until the 5th game due to his suspension.  Still plenty of holes to fill on D and the offense still needs some help, too.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Because BB has always brought in big name free agents at the right price. If we over payed for revis and gave him a 4 year 60 million dollar deal you would have a point, but we didn't so you don't.   BB is still smart and responsible with his teams finances, like he has always been. 

Build through the draft, sign value free agents to fill out depth, and whenever you see an opportunity to go after great players at a reasonable price, BB does it. Rodney, Colvin, Ted Washington,  Dillion, Adalius, Stalworth, Moss, Welker, Talib, extend gronk and hern, revis, browner. 

He "goes for it" every year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What did he go for last year?

Amendola, undrafted rookies and other team's garbage.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to carawaydj's comment:

Have they really changed the Patriot way?  I'm one of those guys who is perfectly happy being in the thick of it each and every year.  It's nice to go into every season knowing you will have a winning season and knowing you'll make the playoffs.  We don't just win division titles.  I'm pretty sure we were crowned AFC champs more than a few times too.  Only one team and one fan base can be happy each year.  No team and no fan base has had more reason to be happier than us for the past decade+.  That's just reality.

But what did we really do different this year?  We got the best DB in football at a pretty reasonable cap figure.  We got another good DB at a reasonable rate.  The only thing that strikes me as different from the past is that Revis' deal is structured such that it is really just a one year committment with a sizable amount of dead cap space in 2015.  That's a bit unusual, but worth it for Revis.  Was Browner's acquisition outside the norm for BB?  Only in the sense that this guy might actually play up to the expectations.  I think we just had a bit of good fortune where we could acquire two solid players for reasonable amounts.  It's not like BB never tried to bring in impact players.  They just haven't panned out that often.  The timing just happened to be very right this year.

All that said, I do think Talib taught BB a valuable lesson.  We got to see how much of a difference it made having a good physical DB in the game.  Our defense just wasn't the same when Talib was out.  

Prior to this year the highest paid CB that BB ever paid with the 21st highest in the league with Bodden (Law contract came before BB). Now they have the highest paidin Revis.

The last FA that wasn't already on the team they gave more than $5mil/yr over multiple years was Thomas in 07'. Which also happens to be the last time they signed what was considered a top 25 FA in the FA class.

This is actually pretty different and something we haven't seen since 07' which everyone in the world said the Pats were loading up and going all in for a SB. So if everyone on this board who says the Pats don't load up and "go all in" because that's not the Pats way then this would be quite different than the norm.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]

Because BB has always brought in big name free agents at the right price. If we over payed for revis and gave him a 4 year 60 million dollar deal you would have a point, but we didn't so you don't.   BB is still smart and responsible with his teams finances, like he has always been. 

Build through the draft, sign value free agents to fill out depth, and whenever you see an opportunity to go after great players at a reasonable price, BB does it. Rodney, Colvin, Ted Washington,  Dillion, Adalius, Stalworth, Moss, Welker, Talib, extend gronk and hern, revis, browner. 

[/QUOTE]

In other words..  he plays on HIS terms.  Terms which many players have learned the hard way and has frustrated this fan base.  Not saying there is anything wrong with it. Maybe that reputation is what made Steve Smith sign with the Ravens without taking a sniff at the Pats.  So, he wants to catch passes from Flacco instead of Brady?  Hmmmm...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What did he go for last year?

Amendola, undrafted rookies and other team's garbage.

[/QUOTE]

exactly...  This year is different and there is no other way to spin it.   Sorry.

The reason is Lombardi, people.  Belichick gets credit for (finally) collaborating with someone other than himself.  Let's see if we will see results in other areas as well.

Like Offense , for instance.  That is the next frontier.  We'll see if all of a sudden there is chemistry and understanding of a system where there was confusion and mistakes before.  The defensive pieces are in place....  Time to work on the Offense.

Changing the player acquisition structure is the first step .  What you do with these players is the next. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Some people look at the facts and draw conclusions from them.  

Others start with conclusions and then just contort the facts to try to make them fit. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to TravisBean's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Are you thi stupid?  It's on BB's terms within the market. BB knew the market and dictated terms, not the players.

Will you ever get a brain? No way you went to college. No way.

The lockout was a showdown between the owners and players. The players who took teams to the cleaners won and played on LOSER teams.  The teams that held the fort an didn't take the bait, were winning teams generally speaking, because their teams were built at the base, and they didn't shoot themselves in the foot.

Look at the flood of good players cropping up in FA, flooding the market, lowering prices.

Are you this stupid?  Are you seriously this stupid when it comes to basic economic concepts?

Why do you think I can nail what BB will do every offseason? I come on here make my predictions and nail them almost 100%. I was wrong on Talib, but it was only because Elway got a hold of a bottle of whiskey one night this week. Revis is the next choice on the market.

Thanks YET AGAIN to BB.

Waiting in the weeds. Oh yes. Oh yes he was. Your jealousy of his work, who he is, his legendary status, you think you can be him like a tool and not being anywhere near his education level, is comical to watch. The best is when you have no inside info and get angry you didn't "hear" of something from your buddies in the tv truck at ESPN.

lol

[/QUOTE]

translation: Denver kicked our a** and is loading up so we better ditch the cheapskate method pronto and abandon the so called "Patriot Way"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

[QUOTE]

In other words..  he plays on HIS terms.  Terms which many players have learned the hard way and has frustrated this fan base.  Not saying there is anything wrong with it. Maybe that reputation is what made Steve Smith sign with the Ravens without taking a sniff at the Pats.  So, he wants to catch passes from Flacco instead of Brady?  Hmmmm...

[/QUOTE]

He had a visit scheduled with the pats the next day, so he obviously was sniffing. His agent did his job and scheduled the 1st visit with the team that needed him the most, and Baltimore wisely gave him a 3rd year knowing that Smith wasn't leaving Foxboro without a deal.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to agcsbill's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He had a visit scheduled with the pats the next day, so he obviously was sniffing. His agent did his job and scheduled the 1st visit with the team that needed him the most, and Baltimore wisely gave him a 3rd year knowing that Smith wasn't leaving Foxboro without a deal.

[/QUOTE]

That is the key, right there.  Smith's agent did not want to lose the chance for a 3 year contract believing the Pats wouldn't given Smith's age.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Those who whine over the past are spoiled. EVERY year BB puts together a team that wins double digit games (even without TB! ! ! ! ! ! ! ). EVERY year they are in the hunt for the SB. In ALMOST every year SINCE the last SB win they have had a team that ACTUALLY came close. Of course there was 2007 - where we took a LATE lead and lost by a MAGIC helmet (I fully expect some of you here play dungeons and dragons!). There was the SB after 2012 where we had the late lead and lost as much by injuries (Gronk, Mankins, etc) as anything else.

But we had other years where we came closse too. ANd injuries were a part of some of those years of falling short.

Face it whiners - NO team in the HISTORY of the NFL has had the sort of long streak of truly competative teams as this team has been.

If some whine because he doesnt sign top flight youth and some whine because he is not a god at drafting (just GOOD; yes like it or not his TOTAL track record without all your whiney baby like cherry picking puts him somewhere in the top third or so of the league - higher even than that by some measures) then maybe you can tell me what other GM and coach combination has a better team record, a beter SB appearance record, a better SB win record, a better AFC championship appearance record, a better playoff entry record, a better regular season record... Sure I also have my own tears over missing that one or two draft picks or that one or two FA or those couple of FA that we got that didnt pan out at all (not many do not pan out AT ALL and those have been low risk and high upside.... smart moves even though they failed).

SO now everyone is cheary (so am I). But if somehow we fall short, whether its a TB injury, some rash of injuries,  whatever... many of the smilers today will become fair weather fans to BB. But all that will be true is that you have remained spoiled whiners. Grow up and appreciate this because BB will not be here forever. JUST LIKE THOSE THAT COMPLAIN ABOUT TB SHOULD GROW UP BECAUSE IT IS UNLIKELY THEY WILL SEE ANOTHER HERE FOR A LONG LONG TIME IF EVER AGAIN IN THEIR LIFETIME.

SO, now that we have all that straight, I would like to nominate Wozz for the least whiney poster here.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Prior to this year the highest paid CB that BB ever paid with the 21st highest in the league with Bodden (Law contract came before BB). Now they have the highest paidin Revis.

The last FA that wasn't already on the team they gave more than $5mil/yr over multiple years was Thomas in 07'. Which also happens to be the last time they signed what was considered a top 25 FA in the FA class.

This is actually pretty different and something we haven't seen since 07' which everyone in the world said the Pats were loading up and going all in for a SB. So if everyone on this board who says the Pats don't load up and "go all in" because that's not the Pats way then this would be quite different than the norm.

No PatsEng, this is no different than what BB has done since he got here. These signings are still value signings. BB had a chance to get arguably the best CB in the league for the right price. They did the same thing with Moss. And don't go down that "but they traded for Moss" road. How you get there doesn't matter as long as you get there. They did the same thing withCorey Dillon. They did the same thing with Rosevelt Colvin. They did the same thing with Rodney Harrison. The amount of money may be different, but in each case, the Pats got the player they wanted for less.

Forgot to mention, no one said the Pats "went all in" in 2007. Matter of fact, everyone in the world thought the Pats were going to be lousy. Stop trying to rewrite history.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhatVirginian. Show PhatVirginian's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

rose colored glasses and plenty of koolaid.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No PatsEng, this is no different than what BB has done since he got here. These signings are still value signings. BB had a chance to get arguably the best CB in the league for the right price. They did the same thing with Moss. And don't go down that "but they traded for Moss" road. How you get there doesn't matter as long as you get there. They did the same thing withCorey Dillon. They did the same thing with Rosevelt Colvin. They did the same thing with Rodney Harrison. The amount of money may be different, but in each case, the Pats got the player they wanted for less.

[/QUOTE]

You can buy a new Lamborghini for $250,000 or a 1985 Honda Civic for $500.  Both are value purchases, but they are very different kinds of purchases. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhatVirginian. Show PhatVirginian's posts

I dunno.  Guys like Haynesworth were gambles with calculated risks. BB bought into Ocho because of emotional attachment.  Revis and Browner are ballers.  Not sure if same could be said for Haynesworth or Ocho.  Revis and Browner is more like the Harrison signing; also a known baller. In addition, Revis' signing - not sure if that's a value play.  Wilfork prolly wasn't happy that he's getting "paid".

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

There's nothing different, except perception. Almost every year, this team does something to improve. Sometimes it's bold, like trades for Moss, Dillon, Welker, Ocho and Haynseworth. A few FA splash signings here and there. There's almost always something. 

Ordinarily, they avoid big FA deals with guaranteed money on players from other teams because probably 80% of them don't pay off. It's not smart business. This year there was a guy available that represented a major upgrade at a position of need. Timing is everything, if they were close on Talib this would never have gone down. Just so happened that Talib left and Revis was there. It's not at all unlike last year when Welker signed with Denver and they moved on Amendola immediately thereafter. 

It's not like they've all of a sudden abandoned fiscal responsibility and adopted some new "go for broke" mentality. The Revis deal is not without risk, but it's not crippling regardless how it turns out.  

Critics (hypocrites?) complain that they never take chances, they're too conservative. It's the biggest load of BS ever, that's all they do. They rolled the dice so many times it's hard to keep track. What do you call bringing in malcontents and risk/reward types?  Do I need to list them again? Add Hern and Gronk to the list too.

A conservative approach would be to let someone else draft those guys. Let someone else trade for a washed up Moss, or a troublemaker Dillon or sign a broken down Rodney Harrison. 

You can disagree with his choices and his manners or whatever, but if you call him conservative then you're really not paying attention. This year is no different. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You can buy a new Lamborghini for $250,000 or a 1985 Honda Civing for $500.  Both are value purchases, but they are very different kinds of purchases. 

[/QUOTE]

Yeah but if you can buy that $250,000 Lambo for $200,000 and your "system" says buy if x% below book, then buying the Lambo is no different than buying that Civic except the Civic isn't as good  of a "value".

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What did we do different this year? 

Well, to start, the first priority of business was not signing our own. That 100% goes against what this team has done for many years. 

in addition, the team has signed players under 30 years old, in their prime. That also goes against the grain of the past few years

lastly, while the team is not finished in free agency, it stands to reason that 70-80% of the free agents signed this year will not retire or get cut in camp

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You can buy a new Lamborghini for $250,000 or a 1985 Honda Civing for $500.  Both are value purchases, but they are very different kinds of purchases. 

[/QUOTE]

Yeah but if you can buy that $250,000 Lambo for $200,000 and your "system" says buy if x% below book, then buying the Lambo is no different than buying that Civic except the Civic isn't as good  of a "value".

[/QUOTE]

If you want to go fast, buy the Lambo . . .