please tell me why Hernandez' contract is not VOIDED

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

please tell me why Hernandez' contract is not VOIDED

If going to jail does not void a football contract to PLAY FOOTBALL, WTH does...?

I'm hearing all this discussion about contract ramifications, etc.

There is no contract.  RIP IT UP.  Does the language need to be in there to CONCLUDE THAT PLAYER CANNOT FULFILL HIS CONTRACTUAL RESPONSIBILITES, THEN ITS VOID....?????

Like responsibility #1....  Be alive.

And responsibility #2...  SHOW UP.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SLGDEV. Show SLGDEV's posts

Re: please tell me why Hernandez' contract is not VOIDED

In response to coolade2's comment:

If going to jail does not void a football contract to PLAY FOOTBALL, WTH does...?

I'm hearing all this discussion about contract ramifications, etc.

There is no contract.  RIP IT UP.  Does the language need to be in there to CONCLUDE THAT PLAYER CANNOT FULFILL HIS CONTRACTUAL RESPONSIBILITES, THEN ITS VOID....?????

Like responsibility #1....  Be alive.

And responsibility #2...  SHOW UP.

The Patriots should have waited until he was actually arrested and charged.  They cut him when the stories broke, but AT THAT TIME he could still have fulfilled his contract.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

He hasn't been convicted of anything yet. I would think that it's business as usual till then.  That nadal Hassan guy from fort bliss drew a pay check while in prison. 

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

He hasn't been convicted of anything yet. I would think that it's business as usual till then.  That nadal Hassan guy from fort bliss drew a pay check while in prison. 

I suppose...  But jail does kinda prevent player from his job.  And its not like you get put in jail for no reason.

I know one thing...   if I don't show up to fulfill a contract job , I AIN'T GETTING PAID.

Yeah this pisses me off...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

[QUOTE]

I suppose...  But jail does kinda prevent player from his job.  And its not like you get put in jail for no reason.

I know one thing...   if I don't show up to fulfill a contract job , I AIN'T GETTING PAID.

[/QUOTE]

I remember reading, I think it was Reiss that said the protective wording in the contract wasn't there. If Kraft goes after it too hard it will make him look bad so it's a lose -lose deal. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

It's called collective bargaining, take it up with the NLRB and NFLPA. Problem is they're prohibited from doing anything under the Federal Unfair Contracts with Criminals Act. It's a killer.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I remember reading, I think it was Reiss that said the protective wording in the contract wasn't there. If Kraft goes after it too hard it will make him look bad so it's a lose -lose deal. 

[/QUOTE]

Fascinating...  I'm losing respect for Bob Kraft ifthats true...  Plus think hes wrong.  Worried about looking bad...?  Simple.  You don't  work you don't get paid.  Any dimwit jackasd will get that. 

Along with the qualifier that when he gets out of jail he can have his contract revisited on its merits.  (but since he'll probably be 60 )...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

no, the contract is voided as he was released, but the pro rated portion of his signing bonus then becomes due. Hern was signed for $15M guaranteed with $12.5M of it in a signing bonus. He has rcvd $5M of his bonus, and the remaining $7.5M that was amortized over the length of the contract for CAP purposes now must be paid in 1 lump sum as he was released.

So while public perception is Hern signed for $40M, only $15M was guaranteed....that is what the Pats are on the hook for, and they had already paid him half of it.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

I am going to posit that maybe he is still considered a valuable asset to the team until he is actually convicted.  We've often discussed the unemotional nature with which the pats make business decisions.  This may be one of those instances. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

Fight paying him until hell freezes over. The Players Union won't fight for a murderer. Or will

they?  Kraft has Billions and can force A.H. / Union to spend a lot of money on lawyers fees.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

My guess is that every contract from here to the moon (moving forward) will have some type of language in it that voids all $$ if there is legal trouble. NFL contracts seem to be a joke regardless. I'm surprised they can't find a way to void this deal gone bad....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

I am going to posit that maybe he is still considered a valuable asset to the team until he is actually convicted.  We've often discussed the unemotional nature with which the pats make business decisions.  This may be one of those instances. 

Well if he was on the team still maybe.  That would be like gomer still being part of your team.  He was cut too wasn't he?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:

My guess is that every contract from here to the moon (moving forward) will have some type of language in it that voids all $$ if there is legal trouble. NFL contracts seem to be a joke regardless. I'm surprised they can't find a way to void this deal gone bad....

a player that is released, doesnt get paid. No other sport has this type of contract other than football....the Pats do not owe Hern the rest of his contract...they owe him the balance of his SIGNING BONUS...he was an active player when he signed, so he is due his bonus...it simply was not paid in full "at signing" to massage the cap hit...

once a player is let go...the balance of the bonus is due in full....hence the cap hit next year...$7.5M

that is why it was absolutely imperative to re negotiate TB...he was due cap hits $22.5 each of the next 2 years....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]

Well if he was on the team still maybe.  That would be like gomer still being part of your team.  He was cut too wasn't he?

[/QUOTE]
    my bad.  You are right. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

There is a clause in the CBA in which if a player is no longer able to perform due to inconseration that his contract is voided and the team can pention to have the remainder of his signing bonus recovered for cap purposes as well as has legal ability to go after the player to recover said signing bonus (though it's not guaranteed they would ever get it back in court). However, since the Pats cut Hern before any conviction it follows the rules as any cut player in which any non guaranteed funds are voided but the guaranteed funds need to be accounted for via cap space. Now the Pats still can go after the money in court but because of the wording in the CBA with relation to cutting before conviction as opposed to after would make it incredible difficult to recover any funds and do nothing but make Kraft look bad. That would be a lose/lose. I still think Kraft did the right thing releasing Hern right away but in reality business wise it was a dumb decision as they would have been better protected if he waited for the conviction.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

LOL.  Ummm, what do you think his chances are that he'll walk away a free man and get signed up by the Pats?

Considering AH's close inner circle, some who have been indicted and keeping their mouths shot, it's possible he may indeed walk free.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    my bad.  You are right. 

[/QUOTE]

one difference is Gomer is with another team. AH is not.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

This explains what the Pats are trying to do to get out of paying some of the contract.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/29/pats-officially-shut-off-any-remaining-pay-to-hernandez/

The link below explains the Hernandez contract.  The Pats are stuck in some ways.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000213873/article/examining-aaron-hernandezs-new-england-patriots-contract

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Guaranteed means, guaranteed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Guaranteed means, guaranteed.

Not always. You can try to recover funds under extreme circumstances brought on by the player, ie Vick. Atl didn't recover everything but they did get some back.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomas_Paine. Show Thomas_Paine's posts

The crazy thing is that Hernandez might walk. 

No murder weapon and a shady witness.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:
    [/QUOTE]

LOL.  Ummm, what do you think his chances are that he'll walk away a free man and get signed up by the Pats?

[/QUOTE]

He may walk, stranger things have happened in the criminal justice system. But he will NEVER play for the Pats and I find it hard to imagine any team hiring him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:

I'd go one step further and change the language of pro-rated siging bonus such that legal trouble voids that too, or maybe you meant that as well.  

"Guarantee" will become... Guarantee*

*read the fine print.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

There is a clause in the CBA in which if a player is no longer able to perform due to inconseration that his contract is voided and the team can pention to have the remainder of his signing bonus recovered for cap purposes as well as has legal ability to go after the player to recover said signing bonus (though it's not guaranteed they would ever get it back in court). However, since the Pats cut Hern before any conviction it follows the rules as any cut player in which any non guaranteed funds are voided but the guaranteed funds need to be accounted for via cap space. Now the Pats still can go after the money in court but because of the wording in the CBA with relation to cutting before conviction as opposed to after would make it incredible difficult to recover any funds and do nothing but make Kraft look bad. That would be a lose/lose. I still think Kraft did the right thing releasing Hern right away but in reality business wise it was a dumb decision as they would have been better protected if he waited for the conviction.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

True, but he may not go to trial and be convicted until next year anyway. Probably not in time to affect next years cap. They are going to have to suck it up just like they did with all the other dead money.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to garytx's comment:

This explains what the Pats are trying to do to get out of paying some of the contract.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/29/pats-officially-shut-off-any-remaining-pay-to-hernandez/

The link below explains the Hernandez contract.  The Pats are stuck in some ways.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000213873/article/examining-aaron-hernandezs-new-england-patriots-contract

Article seems to imply cap hit for next year will be

3.25 mil for Hernandez deal...  AKA dead money.

Sections
Shortcuts