please tell me why Hernandez' contract is not VOIDED

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: please tell me why Hernandez' contract is not VOIDED

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Guaranteed means, guaranteed.

Not always. You can try to recover funds under extreme circumstances brought on by the player, ie Vick. Atl didn't recover everything but they did get some back.

Sure. There's always fine print. But for the most part, you pay what you guarantee to pay. AH will get most of what he's guaranteed. If the fine print allows for monies to be removed, then those funds weren't guaranteed. Remember, the context of this discussion is about the entire guarantee being voided.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

In response to anonymis' comment:

LOL.  Ummm, what do you think his chances are that he'll walk away a free man and get signed up by the Pats?

He may walk, stranger things have happened in the criminal justice system. But he will NEVER play for the Pats and I find it hard to imagine any team hiring him.

I agree, even the NFL isn't so desperate as to bring in an execution style murderer, even if they did beat the rap, are they?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

can anyone on this board read?

once a player is cut, there is no contract. there is nothing to void, innocent or guilty, there is no contract to void. the Pats owe Hern NOTHING on his contract. The Pats do owe Hern his signing bonus, which was agreed to while he was an active player on the team. the amount remaining on his bonus is $7.5M...for all we know, Hern already has this money. it is simply a salary cap accounting procedure to amortize the bonus over the contract term...once the contract is terminated, the bonus can no longer be amortized...

Harvey, you said you were an expert on cap issues...clearly you are clueless, just like I said a long time ago 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In response to SLGDEV's comment:

In response to coolade2's comment:

If going to jail does not void a football contract to PLAY FOOTBALL, WTH does...?

I'm hearing all this discussion about contract ramifications, etc.

There is no contract.  RIP IT UP.  Does the language need to be in there to CONCLUDE THAT PLAYER CANNOT FULFILL HIS CONTRACTUAL RESPONSIBILITES, THEN ITS VOID....?????

Like responsibility #1....  Be alive.

And responsibility #2...  SHOW UP.

The Patriots should have waited until he was actually arrested and charged.  They cut him when the stories broke, but AT THAT TIME he could still have fulfilled his contract.

WRONG! Educate yourself newby the Pats waited until AFTER AH was arrested to cut him

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He hasn't been convicted of anything yet. I would think that it's business as usual till then.  That nadal Hassan guy from fort bliss drew a pay check while in prison. 

+------------------

That's because he was a government employee.  They get paid no matter what.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

once a player is cut, there is no contract. there is nothing to void, innocent or guilty, there is no contract to void. the Pats owe Hern NOTHING on his contract. The Pats do owe Hern his signing bonus, which was agreed to while he was an active player on the team. the amount remaining on his bonus is $7.5M...for all we know, Hern already has this money. it is simply a salary cap accounting procedure to amortize the bonus over the contract term...once the contract is terminated, the bonus can no longer be amortized...

Harvey, you said you were an expert on cap issues...clearly you are clueless, just like I said a long time ago 

Just a clarification.  His signing bonus was paid in full.  What's prorated is the amount of the bonus that is counted against the salary cap.  The actual money, however, is (usually) paid in full at the time of signing.  So if I have a 5 million signing bonus on a five-year contract, the team pays me the full 5 million when I sign, but they are allowed to count one million of that bonus per year against the cap.  All the proration does is spread the cap hit out.  The real money (all of it) is paid right away to the player. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Just a clarification.  His signing bonus was paid in full.  What's prorated is the amount of the bonus that is counted against the salary cap.  The actual money, however, is (usually) paid in full at the time of signing.  So if I have a 5 million signing bonus on a five-year contract, the team pays me the full 5 million when I sign, but they are allowed to count one million of that bonus per year against the cap.  All the proration does is spread the cap hit out.  The real money (all of it) is paid right away to the player. 

Right. But, the cap hits in future years will be nullified if the Pats sue for that money.   RKrap is just assuming, incorrectly as per usual, that the money is a done deal, when we don't know that.

Again, see the Fanene situation. I thought we should have gotten more back, but whatever.

This is pretty new territory here, but I believe when Vick went to jail while with Atlanta, the Falcons recouped some money that would have hit their cap in the future.

Edit:

Ok, so this Doty loser, I don't think will be anywhere near the swift case with Hernandez when the Krafts immediately go after it after conviction:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3229782

This was 3 full years before the Lockout, too, when Doty may or may not have been on the take from the union. He was the same guy who was sitting around the Lockout fiasco all summer, delaying that.

As bad as the dogfighting thing was, I am pretty sure murdering is a lot worse. lmao

"However, he wrote, the Falcons can recover $3.75 million of his 2006 signing bonus, which is governed by other rules and is something the union did not challenge."

I would be SHOCKED if the owners didn't put in a general protection clause after Vick sat in prison collecting millions for a felony while not on an active roster.

It's possible Kraft will get either real money back or cap relief from the NFL (or maybe both).  That's still to be determined.  The dispute about real money will depend on how the court interprets the contract.  The salary cap relief is more a league matter. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to SLGDEV's comment:

In response to coolade2's comment:

[QUOTE]

If going to jail does not void a football contract to PLAY FOOTBALL, WTH does...?

I'm hearing all this discussion about contract ramifications, etc.

There is no contract.  RIP IT UP.  Does the language need to be in there to CONCLUDE THAT PLAYER CANNOT FULFILL HIS CONTRACTUAL RESPONSIBILITES, THEN ITS VOID....?????

Like responsibility #1....  Be alive.

And responsibility #2...  SHOW UP.

The Patriots should have waited until he was actually arrested and charged.  They cut him when the stories broke, but AT THAT TIME he could still have fulfilled his contract.

[/QUOTE]

wrong. they did wait for this very reason. they will not take further action until he is found guilty. then it will be also up to the NFL to ban him for life.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to nyjetsssucc's comment:

Babe...the only bar you've ever passed is a road side strip joint in some literal backwater in sunny FLA, the kind filled with fat, herpetic and toothless 22 year olds with long , stringy greasy hair and intense body stank...enjoy playa

Man I just ate

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

What I think Kraft will do is tell his team of lawyers, that he pays anyway to tie the payment of the money in court. Delay the crap out of it. Let the NFLPA fight for him, you can out lawyer them too. If you need to pay one day then make it so all the money Hernandez gets goes to his lawyers.

I still think that if this gets dragged out in court, it will be on the news every night. Its worth 12M to make it go away.

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I said his bonus may already have been paid, and it was an accounting issue to massage the cap. We are on the same page. However most players, including TB do not take all money up front for tax reasons. 

It would not surprise me if Hern did take it all.

If he did, the Pats owe him no more money, and there is the final issue of next years cap hit of $7.5M

most legal experts have opined that the Pats do not have a shot at clawing back money as there was no conduct language in the contract

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Pretty simple. He needs to be convicted first.   If the trial gets underway and finishes quick, they may be able to void it before next season. Doubtful, but it is a unique circumstance.

I'd be surprised if every NFL deal didn't have some kind of "if you're in prison during the season" clause, you don't get paid. Maybe they don't, but you'd think they would.

They may have to literally pay him into the season in 2014 because they can't void a contract before a conviction.

If they void it or attempt to, and he's found innocent, then the Pats would be sued to the moon and back.

[/QUOTE]

When your not too busy arguing with people and on the defensive so much, you actually have some good posts. This is one of them.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

after the troll was apparently embarrassed by me successfully challenging them.

Never happens. Any of a dozen posters own you daily.