Poilan and the Colts whining again forces the NFL to "adjust" the rules!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

Re: Poilan and the Colts whining again forces the NFL to "adjust" the rules!

49pat - that whole taping thing and Belichick's misinterpretation of it really didn't happen.  LOL. 

4jays - exactly.  Bill doesn't whine he just breaks rules.  Like I said.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In Response to Re: Poilan and the Colts whining again forces the NFL to "adjust" the rules!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poilan and the Colts whining again forces the NFL to "adjust" the rules! : Hey come on! We filled you in when you got banned. Besides, you don't really think Russ has been sitting on the sidelines for a whole day do you?
    Posted by ewhite1065[/QUOTE]
    Why is it that an Indy troll gets preferential treatment while some Pats fans are apparently un-welcome?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

Not true not true - I started as 2g, then 3g (at which time I was stalked by one called 4g), and now I am 5g.  My bans have been well documented. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

Colts Whining About the Rules Again
    Written by Derek Hanson   
    Tuesday, 31 August 2010 07:12

Surprise, surprise, the Indianapolis Colts are yet again looking for a rule adjustment to help them out. After an AFC Championship loss to the Patriots in 2003, the Ponies whined incessantly that they couldn't compete if New England's defenders were allowed to breathe on them. The league reacted by giving into their wishes and policing the 5-yard contact rule like hawks. Now the Colts, Peyton Manning in particular, are looking for another bail out.

Starting this year, a referee is being moved to the backfield.  Teams on offense are not allowed to snap the ball until the umpire is in place.  If they do, a 5-yard penalty will be assessed.  The general consensus is that this will have a negative impact on teams trying to run the hurry-up offense, which is something the Colts do on a regular basis.  During the Colts' regular season game against the Packers, the Colts were whistled for two such penalties.  Following the game, Manning and Indianapolis' GM, Bill Polian, were irate.

"I am dead-set against the penalty. It is insane. If I knew it would be this way, I'd have voted against it, and not only that, I'd have crusaded against it.''- Bill Polian

"If we had this rule last year, there's no way we catch up in that New England game. We were down, what, 21 points in the fourth quarter? We wouldn't have had enough time to run enough plays to catch up. But forget about that game. Let's chart all the comeback wins where a team runs the hurry-up in the fourth quarter. How many of those games would have ended up the same way -- or would the quarterbacks have had enough time to run enough plays to come back and win?" - Peyton Manning

So basically had Bill Polian knew that the new rule would affect his team, he wouldn't have approved it?  It's always good to have somebody unbiased like that heading up the league's competition committee. And as far as Manning's complaints go, my counter argument is that if the Colts wanted to win the game so badly, they shouldn't have gotten themselves down by 21 points in the first place.  For every team that comes from behind, there's also a team who blew a lead.  Maybe there's something to be said for the team winning that dominated for three quarters, vs. the team who put up a couple of late touchdowns when the defenders are gassed. In the end, it's a two-way street.

Also, this rule wasn't put in place to "slow down" the Colts or any offense.  It serves a completely different purpose.  The main goal was the protect the referees, who were previously in harm's way.  This will also prevent offenses from using the refs as picks or barriers to prevent defenders from covering receivers, as was a frequent practice by many teams.  This will also give the refs a bird's eye view of offensive holding against edge rushers.  Had the ref been in the backfield during Super Bowl XLII, maybe somebody would've noticed the 19 holding penalties that allowed Eli Manning to get off the helmet catch throw.

Granted, there has been a lot of complaining about this new rule, not just by the Colts.  However, it seems Indianapolis tends to get more vocal than most teams when it comes to rules they don't like, and if this rule does get altered or overturned, it will be the second time in seven years where the rules or the interpretation of the rules are adjusted to benefit the Colts.  I know I'm setting myself up for a genius "better to change the rules than break them" spygate reference comeback, but the fact remains that when your GM is the head of the Competition Committee and you keep getting small advantages tossed your way, it's more than a little suspicious.

It's time for Peyton Manning to stop whining and play.  He's playing by the same rules as everybody else.  I don't know why he thinks that everybody else should play by his rules.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

"Polian and Manning are the wonder twins of whining."

Peyton Manning, Bill Polian rip NFL's new umpire alignment

Colts quarterback Peyton Manning and G.M. Bill Polian are still steaming over the illegal snap penalties that were called in last week's preseason game, saying that the league's decision to move the umpires to the offensive side of the field -- and require the offense to wait to snap the ball until the umpire is in position -- could devastate their offense.

"I am dead-set against the penalty,'' Polian told Peter King of SI.com. "It is insane. If I knew it would be this way, I'd have voted against it, and not only that, I'd have crusaded against it.''

Manning thinks the Colts' comeback against the Patriots last year -- the most memorable game of the regular season, thanks to Bill Belichick's surprising decision to go for it on a crucial late fourth down -- never would have happened if the Colts had been barred from snapping the ball until the umpire got behind the running back, as the new rule requires.

"If we had this rule last year,'' Manning said, "there's no way we catch up in that New England game. We were down, what, 21 points in the fourth quarter? We wouldn't have had enough time to run enough plays to catch up. But forget about that game. Let's chart all the comeback wins where a team runs the hurry-up in the fourth quarter. How many of those games would have ended up the same way -- or would the quarterbacks have had enough time to run enough plays to come back and win?''

Whether Manning is correct about that particular game or not, he's definitely correct that there's a significant unintended consequence of the league's decision to move the umpires. Even NFL VP of officiating Carl Johnson admits that.

"The way the new mechanic of the umpire positioning is, I don't have a resolution to that,'' Johnson told King. "It's going to take a couple extra seconds to spot the ball. There's no way around that."

This is a rule change that has the potential to be a nightmare for no-huddle offenses.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kegarret. Show kegarret's posts

If you saw the game against the Packers, it was as if 'ol Cornstalk was trying to bring this issue to the forefront, aided by the ESPN crew of nitwits.  I think they talked about how horrible the change was for a whole quarter, and how it would hurt poor 'ol Cornstalk...reaching a climax when Cornstalk was aware the ref was not in position and he was called for an illegal snap, and then continued to get his whine time live on camera.  I am in the camp thinking that yes, the positioning change was bad...but it's also bad positioning to put them where they are on the D-side. However, Cornstalk in his typical whiney fashion makes him more like the A-Rod of the NFL rather than the Jeter.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

In Response to Re: Poilan and the Colts whining again forces the NFL to "adjust" the rules!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poilan and the Colts whining again forces the NFL to "adjust" the rules! : Why is it that an Indy troll gets preferential treatment while some Pats fans are apparently un-welcome?
    Posted by antibody[/QUOTE]
    me thinks its more along the lines of underdoggg is at the very least civil with other posters

as where myself, dogggg, and other pats fans have been called gay by crusty...im guessing that probably doesnt sit too well with a decidely liberal newspaper's website when its used to degrade others who consistently have a better argument than said crusty

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]49pat - that whole taping thing and Belichick's misinterpretation of it really didn't happen.  LOL.  4jays - exactly.  Bill doesn't whine he just breaks rules.  Like I said.
    Posted by underdoggggg[/QUOTE]

Every time we say something about Peyton, you say Spygate. Peyton has a big forehead, spygate. Peyton chokes in big games, spygate. The Colts lost to the Saints, spygate. 

-_-...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourjays30. Show fourjays30's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poilan and the Colts whining again forces the NFL to "adjust" the rules! : me thinks its more along the lines of underdoggg is at the very least civil with other posters as where myself, dogggg, and other pats fans have been called gay by crusty...im guessing that probably doesnt sit too well with a decidely liberal newspaper's website when its used to degrade others who consistently have a better argument than said crusty
    Posted by Jimmy42Jack0[/QUOTE]
    What in h*ll does politics have to do with this discussion. Why is it some posters always have to bring it up. If you want to talk polictics please go to those forums god knows there are plenty of them around.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Re: Poilan and the Colts whining again forces the NFL to

[QUOTE]"Polian and Manning are the wonder twins of whining." Peyton Manning, Bill Polian rip NFL's new umpire alignment Posted by Michael David Smith on August 30, 2010 9:50 AM ET Colts quarterback Peyton Manning and G.M. Bill Polian are still steaming over the illegal snap penalties that were called in last week's preseason game , saying that the league's decision to move the umpires to the offensive side of the field -- and require the offense to wait to snap the ball until the umpire is in position -- could devastate their offense. "I am dead-set against the penalty,'' Polian told Peter King of SI.com. " It is insane . If I knew it would be this way, I'd have voted against it, and not only that, I'd have crusaded against it.'' Manning thinks the Colts' comeback against the Patriots last year -- the most memorable game of the regular season, thanks to Bill Belichick's surprising decision to go for it on a crucial late fourth down -- never would have happened if the Colts had been barred from snapping the ball until the umpire got behind the running back, as the new rule requires. "If we had this rule last year,'' Manning said, "there's no way we catch up in that New England game. We were down, what, 21 points in the fourth quarter? We wouldn't have had enough time to run enough plays to catch up. But forget about that game. Let's chart all the comeback wins where a team runs the hurry-up in the fourth quarter. How many of those games would have ended up the same way -- or would the quarterbacks have had enough time to run enough plays to come back and win?'' Whether Manning is correct about that particular game or not, he's definitely correct that there's a significant unintended consequence of the league's decision to move the umpires. Even NFL VP of officiating Carl Johnson admits that. "The way the new mechanic of the umpire positioning is, I don't have a resolution to that,'' Johnson told King. "It's going to take a couple extra seconds to spot the ball. There's no way around that." This is a rule change that has the potential to be a nightmare for no-huddle offenses.
    Posted by TheFantasyBaron[/QUOTE]

It's amazing that fans of many teams, not least of all Colt's fans, are still crying about how "Belichick cheated", but the way Polian manipulates the rules to benefit his own team is considered  fair play.
    Double standard?
    Oh yeah.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1023us. Show m1023us's posts

I guess Brady and Brees are better than Manning....they both were able to do a no huddle offense without any penalties during the first game and Brady did quite a few in the 3rd game vs the Rams without amy penalties.....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1023us. Show m1023us's posts

In Response to Re: Poilan and the Colts whining again forces the NFL to:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poilan and the Colts whining again forces the NFL to "adjust" the rules! : It's amazing that fans of many teams, not least of all Colt's fans, are still crying about how "Belichick cheated", but the way Polian manipulates the rules to benefit his own team is considered  fair play. Double standard? Oh yeah.

if you can't break them, change them.....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poilan and the Colts whining again forces the NFL to "adjust" the rules! : It's amazing that fans of many teams, not least of all Colt's fans, are still crying about how "Belichick cheated", but the way Polian manipulates the rules to benefit his own team is considered  fair play. Double standard? Oh yeah.

I'm not so much concerned about the rightness of this rule. Maybe it will be better now that its changed. What does concern me is the way that Bill Polian talks about how he would have crusaded against the rule, while crusading against the rule and its changed just like that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poilan and the Colts whining again forces the NFL to : I'm not so much concerned about the rightness of this rule. Maybe it will be better now that its changed. What does concern me is the way that Bill Polian talks about how he would have crusaded against the rule, while crusading against the rule and its changed just like that.
    I'm not concerned with whether the rule is  right or wrong  so much myself. I never got the switch at two minutes to begin with. Now the Colts want five minutes? If this is truly an issue of safety, the umpire should remain in his new position throughout. Otherwise, why move him at all? The longer this rot lays around, the worse it reeks

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jac1421. Show jac1421's posts

[QUOTE]I don't get it! Why is the NFL catering to just one team at the exspense of the other 31. It seams to me that they have painted a big bull's eye on old number 18. I would not be suprised to see him go down this year with a injury partly because of all of the special treatment he has been given over the years. If this was a safety issue how does changeing the rule back again for an extra three minutes address the concern.
    Posted by fourjays30[/QUOTE
    You really aren't paying attention.  This rule does not cater to one team.  Do they Patriots (or any other team) ever run a hurry-up style offense?  Yes. So quit YOUR WHINING about Manning and the Colts and realize that this was a flawed rule change to begin with.  Reportedly, Peyton talked to other QB's who didn't like the rule change, either.  Peyton (like Brady, Brees, or Favre) just has more clout because he's an experienced, successful veteran.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradleyBliss. Show bradleyBliss's posts

[QUOTE]Trust me folks - if this switch occurs you will be happy about it.  But, I guess if it makes you more firmly embrace your irrational hate then have at it.  Of all of the complaining that did take place, I never heard someone say put them back in their old place for 5 minutes.  Further, it wasn't just these guys.  The media pic,ked up on it and the issue got a lot of play over the airwaves and in print from many sources - not just Indy. 

Hey doggiedodo!  When all of #$%#% started only one QB & GM were featured on espn & NFL Network as complaining and whining about the placement of the official....YOU guessed it...the same genius that put the YETS in the playoffs last year and threw away a chance for immortality and poutin payaton! Go figure! Hey how is Gomer's contract coming....getting any questions from mediots like Breer?????

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Having played at all levels through Div. 1AA, and also having officiated at all levels up to Div 1AA quite often as an umpire I can tell you that is with out a doubt the toughest position to be on the field. Placing the ball should be the side judge in my opinion at all times.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradleyBliss. Show bradleyBliss's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poilan and the Colts whining again forces the NFL to "adjust" the rules! : Not right away.  You let me stew for at least a day, and the first time I was banned, it was like 1 week.

Those were the days my friend! We thought they'd never end! Those were the days..oh yes..those were the days!!!!!

Sing everyone! DDDAAAA! DDDAAAA! DDDAAA! DDDDAAAADDDAAA!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

You guys need to take the Indy whining out of the equation and just look at the rule.

The ONLY reason this rule was implemented was due to concerns over the safety of the umpire.  If the rule is now causing other consequences that were not anticipated or adversly effect even one team, then changes should be made to eliminate that.

As I mentioned before and has been mentioned by others, just have the offical closet to the line, place the ball.  The rule was NOT put in place to slow down the game and if it is, then adjustments should be made to eliminate that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]"Polian and Manning are the wonder twins of whining." Peyton Manning, Bill Polian rip NFL's new umpire alignment Posted by Michael David Smith on August 30, 2010 9:50 AM ET Colts quarterback Peyton Manning and G.M. Bill Polian are still steaming over the illegal snap penalties that were called in last week's preseason game , saying that the league's decision to move the umpires to the offensive side of the field -- and require the offense to wait to snap the ball until the umpire is in position -- could devastate their offense. "I am dead-set against the penalty,'' Polian told Peter King of SI.com. " It is insane . If I knew it would be this way, I'd have voted against it, and not only that, I'd have crusaded against it.'' Manning thinks the Colts' comeback against the Patriots last year -- the most memorable game of the regular season, thanks to Bill Belichick's surprising decision to go for it on a crucial late fourth down -- never would have happened if the Colts had been barred from snapping the ball until the umpire got behind the running back, as the new rule requires. "If we had this rule last year,'' Manning said, "there's no way we catch up in that New England game. We were down, what, 21 points in the fourth quarter? We wouldn't have had enough time to run enough plays to catch up. But forget about that game. Let's chart all the comeback wins where a team runs the hurry-up in the fourth quarter. How many of those games would have ended up the same way -- or would the quarterbacks have had enough time to run enough plays to come back and win?'' Whether Manning is correct about that particular game or not, he's definitely correct that there's a significant unintended consequence of the league's decision to move the umpires. Even NFL VP of officiating Carl Johnson admits that. "The way the new mechanic of the umpire positioning is, I don't have a resolution to that,'' Johnson told King. "It's going to take a couple extra seconds to spot the ball. There's no way around that." This is a rule change that has the potential to be a nightmare for no-huddle offenses.

Why is anyone surprised? Polian has run the Rules Committee since 2004.

Is there any wonder why so many football fans despite Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poilan and the Colts whining again forces the NFL to "adjust" the rules! : Why is it that an Indy troll gets preferential treatment while some Pats fans are apparently un-welcome?
    Not from me

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poilan and the Colts whining again forces the NFL to "adjust" the rules! : Not right away.  You let me stew for at least a day, and the first time I was banned, it was like 1 week.

Hey, I got to work a full time job too. It's not easy keeping up with bannings.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

The NFL has also said that they are going to give Manning a "golden flag" that he can throw whenever he sees something he doesn't like. This way he won't have to whine and can save his voice for commercials.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

For all of the fans of the rest of the NFL: Bill Polian is the Head of the Rules and Officials committee. So what did you expect him to do when his team was unable to mange the game in a fashion they had become accustomed to? Manning without the extra holding and no way of rushing the Umpire into  the defensive allignment is like a bad sign for the Colts. He can't really play the open QB role,unless he has some extra guy blocking off the defenders when Clark is trying to get open,enter the Umpire. Also it he couldn't rush the hurry up offense with the Umpire lolligagging to get behind the offense,and the worst part of this equation came from the Umpire seeing the Colts O-linemen holding on virtually every play,no other team complained about the new rule after it's implementation. The Colts were getting their lunch handed to them all preseason....Polian to the rest of the league well that was just an experimental rule....HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....Only Bill "the cheater" Polian would pull a stunt like this.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

what a bunch of cry babyCry chumps.  they can't play offense without their favorite pick, now they got to whine about the new rule. chokers

Sections
Shortcuts