Polian

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Polian

This guy is supposed to be some great GM yet with Manning getting up there in years he made no backup QB aquisitions the past years either via the draft or trades. Way to go Polian! His idea of running an organizatiion is to ride the coat tails of Manning. On a side note I find it amusing that Manning goes down and the Colts fall apart-[pathetic- and to think this joker has had such an impact on the rules committee for years-I smell something rotten!!!! Lastely thank goodness for the Chiefs and Seattle this year or the Dolts would win the Luck sweepstakes-God forbid!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Re: Polian

That rotten-ness is coming right out of your own backyard my friend. 

Polian's not been great the past few years that's pretty evident, but to suggest that he's been anything other than a great gm overall is ridiculous. 

He put together the personnel that sent 4 Buffalo Bills teams to the superbowl.  Moving on to Carolina he put together the team that went to the NFCCG in only its 2nd year.  He's put 2 colts teams in the SB. 

When he drafted Manning there was no consensus to be found that Manning was a better option than Ryan Leaf.  Sure it nearly immediately self-evident after the fact, but not at draft time.

He took Edgerrin James instead of Heisman winner Ricky Williams.  Took Freeney when everyone else thought he was too small.  Beyond these picks and not including this year, he's drafted no earlier than 28th and found gems like Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Mike Peterson, Bob Sanders, Jake Scott, Robert Mathis, Antoine Bethea, Clint Session, Pierre Garcon, Austin Collie, Jerraud Powers, Marcus Washington, David Thornton, Steve McKinney. 

Found UDFA's Saturday, Brackett, Bullitt, Brock, Pollard. 

Is he perfect?  No.  But the colts demise right now can't be put on just him.  The colts have entirely turned over their coaching staff and I think that has had a great effect on the team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

It's called drafting at the end of the order and welcome to it.  No more opportunities for a Manning or a Freeny.  Folks here wonder why the Pats always try to move this pick and I have always thought it obvious.  You tend to get in trouble at the end of the round.  If one can be critical it's Polian not try to improve his position in the draft by trading out. You have to wait a year but it could be very beneficiary.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Look - I don't know about you, but I think drafting Wayne, Clark, Morris, and Addai at the end of the 1st was pretty good. 

Polian can be criticized all the time as can every personnel guy.  They don't always work out.  But if you are going to be critical, you must also give praise when they hit. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hambonawilliams. Show hambonawilliams's posts

The Polian clan, the OLD man, King Crybaby and his son, Polian the Lesser, have built a house of cards that is falling in right now...no defense, now no QB, and it's all their fault, and no one else's...not a great GM anymore...time for Irsay to use what few brain cells he has working and fire both Irsay's and that cardboard cutout of a coach, the silent one whose mouth is often hanging open and dripping drool, Jim Caldwell.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Hey look!

It's deja vu all over again.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from McFEETers. Show McFEETers's posts

ud6 how do you like the idea of polian handing the job over to his his son like he is some kind of king

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

In Response to Re: Polian:
    [QUOTE]Look - I don't know about you, but I think drafting Wayne, Clark, Morris, and Addai at the end of the 1st was pretty good.  Polian can be criticized all the time as can every personnel guy.  They don't always work out.  But if you are going to be critical, you must also give praise when they hit. 
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

This is true!  But when they miss it comes under much scrutiny.  Much as it does here.  The fact is drafting at the end does have it's pit falls.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Polian will get Luck(y) soon...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]Polian will get Luck(y) soon...
    Posted by beavis[/QUOTE]

There are certainly enough conspiracy theorists around here to make a viable thread out of this very topic . . .  but with a team as proactively inept as the Seattle Seahawks in the league, this may be a tall order even for a Roger Goodell to carry off.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Polian has been a very good GM.  You can certainly criticize him for the situation they are in now, but you really can't judge a person's overall body of work by one rough period.  If you could, even BB would be tarnished.  Heck, who wouldn't?  Is there any GM in the history of the NFL who was in the NFL for a long time and never made mistakes?  No.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]ud6 how do you like the idea of polian handing the job over to his his son like he is some kind of king
    Posted by McFEETers[/QUOTE]

don't like it.  don't care for nepotism.  Didn't like the Caldwell promotion.  I think we've got this all wrong, and I don't know if Irsay is strong enough to make a change. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Thank you for the above post UD6.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Tas - Polian doesn't play or coach the game.  He only puts them in place.  I think you are being a little obtuse by suggesting that since his teams didn't win those games he's not great. 

Belichick is the de facto GM right now, but Pioli was before, right?  Can we say then that Belichick sucks as a GM because he's never taken a team to the superbowl?  

I'll put to you in exactly the same way I did with Jri on another thread.  If Polian is no good and the defense is no good (and special teams is awful), then Peyton Manning must be the greatest QB of all time.  Peyton Manning and the offense had to overcome the deficiencies of the front office, the defense, and special teams and still took 2 teams to the SB, won one, had 7 consectutive years of 12 or more wins and went to the playoffs 11 of the last 12 years.  4 MVP's is not enough.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

[QUOTE] I also think the premise of this thread is about how the media handles BB with their relentless and irrational negative tone and won't apply to it another well thought after GM, in this case, Polian.Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

Well, remember also that Polian's far more likely to fly into a drunken rage and choke any media member within reach if that guy or gal criticized him in public. BB just ignores those jerks, so the media feel "safe" in attacking him.

With Polian, you could end up with Jack Daniels vapor up your nostril and Polian's hands around your neck.

Cool

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Killa, are you saying Polian is not a good GM, or just that he is overrated?  I'll agree on the overrated part.  I think most people who are good at something for a long time eventually become overrated.  No way he has not been a good GM...looking at his total body of work going back to the Bills.  Few outside of this board will disagree.  He's clearly been caught with his pants down here though.  He deserves all of the criticism he'll get on this.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

You know I can't figure it out caraway. 

From this and another thread either Polian sucks or Manning sucks or the rest of the team sucks.  Everyone wants their licks.  But somewhere somehow they must not have sucked.  A team doesn't win 12 or more games over 7 straight seasons or go to the playoffs 11 of 12 years or go to 2 Supebowls and win one by everything sucking.  Its an impossibility. 

right now with Manning out, it appears that he may have been the entire glue for the team.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from achie. Show achie's posts

See how underdogg changes to talk about manning being the greatest Qb of all time simply because the colts stink without him? He just cant stay on point.

Underdogg, The MAJOR POINT is your stinky GM not having the foresight to prepare for a manning-less colts team compared to BB having the foresight to draft up and up QBs e.g cassel, hoyer and mallet for emergency. The minor but implied point is, he hasn't had the wherewithal to put a truly wining team together. Majority of those players you mentioned were together on the same teams at one point or the other, but sadly could only win one SB, thanks-goodness-to-heavens for the men in black and white who kept call those ridiculous PIs for him.  

Do you understand the discussion now underdogg?

Your love for manning is clearly palpable. That he leads a group of stars to regular season wins and chokes in the few important games does not make him the greatest. Yes SBs are tough to win; a good QB gets it done against tough competition most of the time. And you damn well know who has achieved that status.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from achie. Show achie's posts

In Response to www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a9690Discussion%3a23c97ae5-203d-41f4-9158-a05c781f5946&plckFindPostKey=Cat:SportsForum:9690Discussion:23c97ae5-203d-41f4-9158-a05c781f5946Post:1cf4efa8-ffe7-4804-90ee-cfe55cc275b3">Re: Polian:
    [QUOTE]You know I can't figure it out caraway.  From this and another thread either Polian sucks or Manning sucks or the rest of the team sucks.  Everyone wants their licks.  But somewhere somehow they must not have sucked.  A team doesn't win 12 or more games over 7 straight seasons or go to the playoffs 11 of 12 years or go to 2 Supebowls and win one by everything sucking. 

comapre that with how many for NE and you'd see the point.

Its an impossibility.  right now with Manning out, it appears that he may have been the entire glue for the team.
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

Exactly my point. YOU DO NOT BUILD A TEAM of 53 WITH ONE SUPERSTAR GLUE. Thats recipie for failure. It has showed in postseason falures and now even more so with with Manning MIA. Get it now?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"ud6 how do you like the idea of polian handing the job over to his his son like he is some kind of king"

LMFAO. Great work break popping in here for that classic.