Poll: Calvin Johnson or Darrelle Revis

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Re: Poll: Calvin Johnson or Darrelle Revis

I'd take Revis evin if he were on the mend from ACL over the not available and older Johnson.  Revis is fine. He's going to help this club more than any WR.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I also say D wins championships and they really have been lacking a true #1 CB since Law left (sorry but Talib doesn't count in my mind because he was only good for half a season at a time, if that, and was never there in the playoffs). You can work around not having top flight WR's but without a good secondary and good pass rush even Eli will eat you apart.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to cyncalpatfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Okay, I just can't let this go.  The fact is, none of the Super Bowl winning D's were what you would call shutdown or "stud" defenses.  None of them "held a lead".  In SB 36, the D gave up 14 points in the second half and the O scored 6; in SB 38, the D gave up 19 points in the second half and the O scored 18; in SB 39, the D gave up 14 points in the second half and the O scored 17 points.

Now, looking at the two losses, in SB 42 the D gave up 14 points in the second half and the O scored 7; in SB 46 the D gave up 12 points in the second half and the O scored 7.

In two out of the three wins the D gave up more, in the second half, than the O scored.  In the two losses, the D gave up more, in the second half, than the O scored.  In one of those losses, that was the fewest points the D gave up in the second half in any of those 5 SB's.

Go figure.

Anyway, I'm with you.  I'd take Revis.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

The problem is you can't go by straight numbers like that. The Giants game plan was to limit the amount of time and possessions Brady had, and they did it very effectively. The truth is the last 2 SB's the Pats D couldn't get off the field and the Giants O had the vast overwhelming control. It's had to use straight points when the possessions were greatly reduced. If you want to break it down to points per possession you'd might have a bigger case but in the end I think that would only show a more lopsided case that the Giants just had full control over either of those D's.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Okay, I just can't let this go.  The fact is, none of the Super Bowl winning D's were what you would call shutdown or "stud" defenses.  None of them "held a lead".  In SB 36, the D gave up 14 points in the second half and the O scored 6; in SB 38, the D gave up 19 points in the second half and the O scored 18; in SB 39, the D gave up 14 points in the second half and the O scored 17 points.

Now, looking at the two losses, in SB 42 the D gave up 14 points in the second half and the O scored 7; in SB 46 the D gave up 12 points in the second half and the O scored 7.

In two out of the three wins the D gave up more, in the second half, than the O scored.  In the two losses, the D gave up more, in the second half, than the O scored.  In one of those losses, that was the fewest points the D gave up in the second half in any of those 5 SB's.

Go figure.

Anyway, I'm with you.  I'd take Revis.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

The problem is you can't go by straight numbers like that. The Giants game plan was to limit the amount of time and possessions Brady had, and they did it very effectively. The truth is the last 2 SB's the Pats D couldn't get off the field and the Giants O had the vast overwhelming control. It's had to use straight points when the possessions were greatly reduced. If you want to break it down to points per possession you'd might have a bigger case but in the end I think that would only show a more lopsided case that the Giants just had full control over either of those D's.

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely false, especially in SB 46. NE dominated Qtr2 and Qtr 3.

LIAR

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

LIAR

[/QUOTE]

Another post in which Rusty proves that a person who thinks he's smart is really dumb.

Giants won time of possession in both the 2nd and 3rd quarters, 8:17 to 6:43 in Q2 and 9:39 to 5:22 in Q3.  Overall, Giants won TOP 37:05 to 22:55.  That's what happens when your defense can't get off the field and your offense turns over the ball.

[object HTMLDivElement]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

LIAR

[/QUOTE]

Another post in which Rusty proves that a person who thinks he's smart is really dumb.

Giants won time of possession in both the 2nd and 3rd quarters, 8:17 to 6:43 in Q2 and 9:39 to 5:22 in Q3.  Overall, Giants won TOP 37:05 to 22:55.  That's what happens when your defense can't get off the field and your offense turns over the ball.

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

He must be talking about the 4 possessions which resulted in a 9 play drive, 8 play drive, 10 play drive (resulting in FG), and 9 play drive (resulting in FG) and zero 3 and outs. But that's what great D's do, give up 4+min drives on average with zero 3 and outs in half a football game. Funny out of 8 quarters of play he only called out 2 and of those 2 the Giants clearly showed our D had issues keeping them off the field giving up 10 1st downs on 4 possessions and large chunks of ToP.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Revis. 

First, Tom Brady's game is the short pass.  Brady isn't particularly accurate at 40 yards.  Also, Megatron can be double teamed.  Most legitimate #1 receivers already are double teamed.

Second, Revis Island fits Bill Belichick.  BB will play to Revis's strengths, as Rex Ryan did, and so the entire defensive back seven or eight (except for Revis) can be moved to the other half of the field at times. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

Don't get me wrong, Megatron is incredible, and I would be thrilled if he was a Patriot....but I would take Larry Fitz over him if given the option....better hands, runs a wider variety of routes, and is clutch (see his long TD that nearly sealed their Super Bowl, really that whole play-off run was the most dominant performance by a WR....ever). Calvin is amazing, but drops a few too many catch-able balls for my taste. 

Sections
Shortcuts