Poor Offseason Decisions Hurt Pats

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Poor Offseason Decisions Hurt Pats

After a horrid loss such as the one in Denver, one has to endeavor not to let their emotions run away with them...and make rash statements, such as Brady is done, the Pats su ck, Maroney should be traded, and the like. But, its' clear that this team is struggling offensively...especially on the road. Why is this, you ask? Aside from Tom Brady shaking off the psychological and physical effects of a devastating knee injury, look no further than the following off season decisions:

1.) Signing Joey Galloway: The Pats should have learned something from the Indianapolis Colts, and their experience with aging WR, Marvin Harrison. There comes a time when a guy, no matter how fast he can still run, can no longer stand up to the rigors of getting mashed by CBs 10 years their junior. Furthermore, matching Galloway with the current offense was the equivalent of trying to mash a square peg into a round hole. At age 37, Joey can't take the beating required to run slants and makke the tough catches over the middle;

2.) Letting Jabar Gaffney Go: No star, he. But was a dependable third option for Tom Brady. He and Tom were "on the same page", after playing together since 2006. Seems to  me that the Pats could have kept him, with just a tad more dough then they paid to Galloway, and:

3.) Trading a 5th round pick for WR Greg Lewis: The fact that he got cut makes this decision even worse. Surely, the Pats could have used the monies paid to both Lewis and Galloway to resign Gaffney. 

4.) Signing Fred Taylor: Though the 34 year old RB was playing well until going down, possibly for the season, with an ankle injury. Older players are more prone to such things than younger players. Plus, Taylor had a history of being injury prone, pretty much throughout his career.

5.) Passing on ILB Rey Maualuga: Sure, there were some off field incidents. But the Pats needed LBs...and had a guy with a first round rating fall to them. Maualuga is starting for the 4-1 Bengals. Instead, the Pats chose safety Patrick Chung...who is a reserve...and looked terrible in coverage throughout the preseason. 

6.) Releasing QB Kevin O'Connell: May be knit-picking, here. But couldn't the Pats have waited to trade him after game 2 against the Jets?

Thoughts?       

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fredfredfred. Show Fredfredfred's posts

Re: Poor Offseason Decisions Hurt Pats

meh

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

Texas:  I can't argue with your points - especially Galloway & Lewis. 

The 2009 edition of the Pats remind me of the late Harry Sindn years with the Bruins.  They were so concerned about the potential union changes, they got very cheap because they were convinced things were going to change so drastically in the league that the teams who seemed to be "over-spending" would be devestated by these changes.  They were wrong! 

Lets hope the Pats are right!

The Pats seem to be conducting the business in this manner.  This off season there was no long term committments made to deserving players like Wilfork, no free agent splashes..  Just a bunch of one year band aids with the hopes they can remain competetive until there is more clarity with the league and NFLPA. 

Lets hope the 2010 offseason we see some long term contracts for deserving players and a few free agent splashes! 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Poor Offseason Decisions Hurt Pats:
    In Response to Poor Offseason Decisions Hurt Pats :
         After a horrid loss such as the one in Denver, one has to endeavor not to let their emotions run away with them...and make rash statements, such as Brady is done, the Pats su ck, Maroney should be traded, and the like. But, its' clear that this team is struggling offensively...especially on the road. Why is this, you ask? Aside from Tom Brady shaking off the psychological and physical effects of a devastating knee injury, look no further than the following off season decisions: 1.) Signing Joey Galloway: The Pats should have learned something from the Indianapolis Colts, and their experience with aging WR, Marvin Harrison. There comes a time when a guy, no matter how fast he can still run, can no longer stand up to the rigors of getting mashed by CBs 10 years their junior. Furthermore, matching Galloway with the current offense was the equivalent of trying to mash a square peg into a round hole. At age 37, Joey can't take the beating required to run slants and makke the tough catches over the middle; 2.) Letting Jabar Gaffney Go: No star, he. But was a dependable third option for Tom Brady. He and Tom were "on the same page", after playing together since 2006. Seems to  me that the Pats could have kept him, with just a tad more dough then they paid to Galloway, and: 3.) Trading a 5th round pick for WR Greg Lewis: The fact that he got cut makes this decision even worse. Surely, the Pats could have used the monies paid to both Lewis and Galloway to resign Gaffney.  4.) Signing Fred Taylor: Though the 34 year old RB was playing well until going down, possibly for the season, with an ankle injury. Older players are more prone to such things than younger players. Plus, Taylor had a history of being injury prone, pretty much throughout his career. 5.) Passing on ILB Rey Maualuga: Sure, there were some off field incidents. But the Pats needed LBs...and had a guy with a first round rating fall to them. Maualuga is starting for the 4-1 Bengals. Instead, the Pats chose safety Patrick Chung...who is a reserve...and looked terrible in coverage throughout the preseason.  6.) Releasing QB Kevin O'Connell: May be knit-picking, here. But couldn't the Pats have waited to trade him after game 2 against the Jets?      Thoughts?            Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOT blow it out your azz.  multiple people on this board were worried about these issues 4 months ago when you were blwoing belicheck for his genius moves.
    Posted by beastplant

Please point out where I applauded BB's offseason moves? I questioned the Chung choice over Maulaluga from the get go...and was never on board with the Galloway signing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

The more people who realize Jabar Gaffney was a good WR for this team the better if you ask me. I get called out at Pats games all the time for wearing my Gaffney jersey and i try and tell people that Gaffney was a better option then Gallaway. What i find funny is watching so many people who s ucked Gallaways d*ick the entire offseason saying he would eba great fit and how he would open things up for Moss and how he was so much better then Gaffney and now all those same people sit here and say Gallaway is a bum and they should have never signed him. I guess its easy to jumo from side to side when your online and no one knows you. Gaffney was magic for this team, we took him off teh street and he came right in an did his job. Brady liked him and Brady could have used as many old faces as possible to make his return as smooth as we could. Letting gaffney go was a huge mistake. And i agree we should have drafted Ray Malaluga, the guy has been a starter since day one.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

I think points 1-4 can be summed up as "We should have gotten a good split end for Brady this season."  If we had given Taylor's and Galloway's money to Gaffney, that problem would have been solved, to the extent Gaffney stayed healthy. 

Don't think Mauluaga is a a big deal.  The D is doing fine and BB knows his linebackers, or at least the ones he doesn't like.  Mauluage is a starter for an awful team (forget their record, they're the frigginn Bengals) and Chung is appropriately a reserve on the best team.  If we need rookies to start, there's a problem with our depth. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

You forgot the biggest mistake and that was the inability to know what was on Bruschi's mind. 

I agree Galloway is a bust. I don't know what the plans are for him, I'm hoping he can still contribute something. If not let's move him out now.
    I don't know what the Gaffney details were and I always liked him. It's too bad we couldn't have kept him because he's exactly what we need running the 10-20 routes.
    Again, if they knew what was on Bruschi's mind maybe they do pick up a LB.

The fact is they can't close out a game. Play calling and execution has been killing them in every game. The D is still trying to find an identity but has played better than the O in my opinion. 

It looked like TB was only looking for WW the entire second half. Also, I can't understand how BB determines the RB switchouts?

The last time I've seen look this flat #11 was taking snaps!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastplant. Show beastplant's posts

In Response to Re: Poor Offseason Decisions Hurt Pats :      Please point out where I applauded BB's offseason moves? I questioned the Chung choice over Maulaluga from the get go...and was never on board with the Galloway signing.
    Posted by TexasPat3

texas pat on burgess trade;   For those of you who question the Burgess trade, here are some cold, hard football facts to sober you up. CHFF states the following:      NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS: Can BB recapture his defensive magic? The fate of the continuation of the Patriots dynasty depends upon it:            The formula in New England during the Tom Brady Era (2001-present) is simple: when the defense plays well, the Patriots play for Super Bowls. When the defense struggles, the Patriots don’t play for Super Bowls.      The magic number is 300 points. The Patriots surrendered fewer than 300 points in 2001, 20003, 2004, 2006 and 2007 – they played in the AFC title game all five years and in the Super Bowl in four of those years. Only a miracle Colts comeback prevented the Patriots from a perfect five for five when their defense is solid.      The Patriots surrendered more than 300 points in 2002, 2005 and 2008 – they missed the playoffs in two of those three years and won just a single wildcard playoff game in 2005.      Belichick sees the correlation, too. He’s made an all-out assault on improving his defense, specifically his pathetic pass defense of 2008 . Between the draft and free agency, New England’s defensive backfield will be completely unrecognizable from the punchless unit the team fielded last year. The offense under Brady, meanwhile, will almost certainly be Super Bowl caliber. So the success of his defensive remodeling job will be the difference between a good season for New England and a Super Bowl season for New England. 

burgess a non factor....

texas pat on the pats'draft- Amen, brother! I love how the Pats manuevered to score four 2nd round picks, and several thirds...and how they converted two of those 3rd rounders into second rounders next year. Plus, 3rd rounders Brandon Tate and Tyrone  McKenzie should be healthy, and good to go.      As you said...always ahead of the curve...three second rounders next season, too. 

criticises draft now.....

texas pat on patrick chung-  From the Mike Reiss reports we're getting, the Pats' 2009 recruits certainly sound promising. It appears that Patrick Chung has the tools to develop into a solid SS...NT Ron Brace appears to be the perfect compliment to Vince Wilfolk (who I now believe that the Patriots will sign)...CB Darius Butler appears to have the capabilities to develop into another Asante Samuel...and Sabastien Vollmer, a/k/a Sea-Bass, looks like he could be the real deal as an NFL OT.      Sea-Bass is the key to the Pats' draft. If he develops into a dominant OT, he, along with his fellow 2009 class members...plus 2008 selections Kevin O'Connell and Jarod Mayo...could be the core group of players responsible for the Patriots retaining their spot as an elite team, for the next 5-10 years.        Thoughts?  

liar.....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

blow it out your azz.  multiple people on this board were worried about these issues 4 months ago when you were blwoing belicheck for his genius moves.
    Posted by beastplant

How would you know? You've only been in this board for 2 months and you haven't contributed anything positive during that entire time.

Texaspat has infinitely more credibility on this board than you do. In fact, I'm just putting you on ignore user along with leon. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

Adds and deletes are part of every team, each year.  Not all of them work out.  Try to maintain some semblance of a veteran core and surround them with draft picks and free agents.  I am excited about the future of this team and think that this season will be okay, just give it some time to work out.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from softserve. Show softserve's posts

Time on this board does not equate football knowledge. You uncleretard can't write nor count so why should anyone take you seriously.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

You can't stretch the field if no one's falling for the play action pass. Galloway was brought in here to make safeties have a tougher time doubling Moss. When Galloway was in Moss caught more passes right?

Is it Galloway's fault that no one is scared of the play-action pass because the run game is inconsistent?

Here's the problem; the O-line is old and slow and can't open holes. They're preventing Brady from getting killed but that's about it. Slice it dice it anyway you want but until they fix the line there will be no run so the defense doesn't need to put other than Indianapolis/NJ cat-quick coverage guys in there to protect the pass.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Achainsaw. Show Achainsaw's posts

Galloway was a terrible move, dumb on the surface, proven dumb in substance. Made no sense. I don't understand anything about the Greg Lewis saga, that is completely confusing from beginning to end.

Gaffney? He dropped some big time important passes, and will continue to, so I think to question that move is a big reach.

Who would have honestly traded Maroney at the beginning of the season? Some, but not many.

Don't even talk about wrong draft picks, its 5 GAMES into the season! Talk about Patrick Chung in 3 years

Pats are losing because Brady is not back to par and Pees sux again as DC.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

In Response to Poor Offseason Decisions Hurt Pats:
         After a horrid loss such as the one in Denver, one has to endeavor not to let their emotions run away with them...and make rash statements, such as Brady is done, the Pats su ck, Maroney should be traded, and the like. But, its' clear that this team is struggling offensively...especially on the road. Why is this, you ask? Aside from Tom Brady shaking off the psychological and physical effects of a devastating knee injury, look no further than the following off season decisions: 1.) Signing Joey Galloway: The Pats should have learned something from the Indianapolis Colts, and their experience with aging WR, Marvin Harrison. There comes a time when a guy, no matter how fast he can still run, can no longer stand up to the rigors of getting mashed by CBs 10 years their junior. Furthermore, matching Galloway with the current offense was the equivalent of trying to mash a square peg into a round hole. At age 37, Joey can't take the beating required to run slants and makke the tough catches over the middle; 2.) Letting Jabar Gaffney Go: No star, he. But was a dependable third option for Tom Brady. He and Tom were "on the same page", after playing together since 2006. Seems to  me that the Pats could have kept him, with just a tad more dough then they paid to Galloway, and: 3.) Trading a 5th round pick for WR Greg Lewis: The fact that he got cut makes this decision even worse. Surely, the Pats could have used the monies paid to both Lewis and Galloway to resign Gaffney.  4.) Signing Fred Taylor: Though the 34 year old RB was playing well until going down, possibly for the season, with an ankle injury. Older players are more prone to such things than younger players. Plus, Taylor had a history of being injury prone, pretty much throughout his career. 5.) Passing on ILB Rey Maualuga: Sure, there were some off field incidents. But the Pats needed LBs...and had a guy with a first round rating fall to them. Maualuga is starting for the 4-1 Bengals. Instead, the Pats chose safety Patrick Chung...who is a reserve...and looked terrible in coverage throughout the preseason.  6.) Releasing QB Kevin O'Connell: May be knit-picking, here. But couldn't the Pats have waited to trade him after game 2 against the Jets?      Thoughts?           
    Posted by TexasPat3

I concur.

However, Brady is playing like the primadonna that lost to the Giants in his last SB bout.  Somehow, the fire appears to have gone.  FYI: this comes to my chagrin; perhaps, that of others, as well.  Right now, there are quite a few QB's I'd rather have than Brady, not that TB cannot return to top form.  However, I believe you hit quite a few other points in your post.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

The D is doing just fine so how exactly does Pees s uck? I hate Dean Pees but give credit where credit is due. He has a lot of young players and back up playing on D this year and he is doing a fine job with them. Not to mention that his star MLB Mayo went down in game one and he was able to get great production out of Gary Guyton while morons on this forum were screaming for Derek Brooks signing. He was able to get Guyton to play some good football. Pees is not the problem Tom Brady is.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

Losing to the Jets was in no way because of O'Connell, get real. We lost to the Jets because of 2nd half futility on offense and no Mayo or Welker did not help either.

Greg Lewis was a proven commodity and he was dumped in favor of Galloway, this was the biggest goof up of the year. The Greg Lewis catch that beat the 49ers is catch of the year. Meanwhile, Galloway is so bad he does not even dress for 2 weeks in a row.

Gaffney cost us a win and a playoff berth last season at hated Indy, he needed to go, i don't miss him at all.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastplant. Show beastplant's posts

In Response to Re: Poor Offseason Decisions Hurt Pats : How would you know? You've only been in this board for 2 months and you haven't contributed anything positive during that entire time. Texaspat has infinitely more credibility on this board than you do. In fact, I'm just putting you on ignore user along with leon. 
    Posted by unclealfie

army strong apparently doesn't apply to the brain....i've been on this board for 5 years, under different names of course.  when one account gets put down for whatever reason you start a new one, and the date of course changes.  i'm sure this kind of advanced reasoning is beyond the pail for lemmings.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

Gaffney cost us that game? I was pretty sure that this was a team sport. Not to mention wasnt it david Thomas who got called for some BS late hit flag or something? I am pretty sure the blame does not fall 100% on Gaffney but nice try. Gaffney had soem key drops but he was rarely if ever in the wrong place. He was always right where he was sopossed to be and his timing and chem with Brady was unmatched. He was the longest playing WR on the team last year as he came in right before Moss and Welker so he had teh most time with Brady and was one of Bradys faverites targets. He had a few droped balls but he also had a lot of good reasons to keep him around. He was worth more then Gallaway. We double teamed Gaffney all day on Sunday against the Bronco's so clearly Gaffney is considered a good player by our coaching staff. For every bad drop you can name for gaffney i can name you a great catch he made so simply saying he droped some passes means jack, he was a gamer and he had the kind of chemestry with Brady that we really need right now so not resigning him was a bad move.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Yes . . .  looking back on all the things that have gone wrong in my life, it's clear I've made some bad choices.

If only hindsight could somehow be used . . .

in advance.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

The more people who realize Jabar Gaffney was a good WR for this team the better if you ask me. I get called out at Pats games all the time for wearing my Gaffney jersey and i try and tell people that Gaffney was a better option then Gallaway. What i find funny is watching so many people who s ucked Gallaways d*ick the entire offseason saying he would eba great fit and how he would open things up for Moss and how he was so much better then Gaffney and now all those same people sit here and say Gallaway is a bum and they should have never signed him. I guess its easy to jumo from side to side when your online and no one knows you. Gaffney was magic for this team, we took him off teh street and he came right in an did his job. Brady liked him and Brady could have used as many old faces as possible to make his return as smooth as we could. Letting gaffney go was a huge mistake. And i agree we should have drafted Ray Malaluga, the guy has been a starter since day one.
    Posted by MVPKilla2009

C'mon Tas - everyone on this site knows that the ONLY receivers Brady has EVER had were Moss and Welker.  In Brady's entire career, according to this site, Bill Belichick's grandmother would have been a better option than the any of the receivers from 01 to now except for Moss and Welker. 

Lets not get some bandwagon going that some of these other guys were capable.  It might mess up the whole Brady magic thing.  Oh wait - Cassell already did that. 

Never mind.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

'' Colts couldn't be more fortunate as Jabar Gaffney drops a sure touchdown pass on a deep route. Keiwan Ratliff let him go, or it sure looked like he thought they were playing zone, but safety Antoine Bethea didn't get over in nearly enough time, but Gaffney lets the ball slip through. ''

Funny how Gaffney is beloved by so many but when Reche Caldwell dropped a win in the AFCC game in 2006 he became scapegoat of the millenium even though the week before he was a hero in SD, recovering a Troy Brown strip after a Brady INT that should of cost us that game and catching a bomb to set up the winning FG  - LMFAO

Lets sign Stanley Morgan, he looked pretty good at the HOF Ceremony last year LOL

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Poor Offseason Decisions Hurt Pats : texas pat on burgess trade;   For those of you who question the Burgess trade, here are some cold, hard football facts to sober you up. CHFF states the following:      NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS: Can BB recapture his defensive magic? The fate of the continuation of the Patriots dynasty depends upon it:            The formula in New England during the Tom Brady Era (2001-present) is simple: when the defense plays well, the Patriots play for Super Bowls. When the defense struggles, the Patriots don’t play for Super Bowls.      The magic number is 300 points. The Patriots surrendered fewer than 300 points in 2001, 20003, 2004, 2006 and 2007 – they played in the AFC title game all five years and in the Super Bowl in four of those years. Only a miracle Colts comeback prevented the Patriots from a perfect five for five when their defense is solid.      The Patriots surrendered more than 300 points in 2002, 2005 and 2008 – they missed the playoffs in two of those three years and won just a single wildcard playoff game in 2005.      Belichick sees the correlation, too. He’s made an all-out assault on improving his defense, specifically his pathetic pass defense of 2008 . Between the draft and free agency, New England’s defensive backfield will be completely unrecognizable from the punchless unit the team fielded last year.

RESPONSE: This thread deals with poor off season decisions. I did not cite the Burgess trade as one of them. I thought that acquiring him was a good gamble. But, thus far, it hasn't fallen the Pats' way.

texas pat on the pats'draft- Amen, brother! I love how the Pats manuevered to score four 2nd round picks, and several thirds...and how they converted two of those 3rd rounders into second rounders next year. Plus, 3rd rounders Brandon Tate and Tyrone  McKenzie should be healthy, and good to go.      As you said...always ahead of the curve...three second rounders next season, too.  criticises draft now..... texas pat on patrick chung-  From the Mike Reiss reports we're getting, the Pats' 2009 recruits certainly sound promising. It appears that Patrick Chung has the tools to develop into a solid SS...NT Ron Brace appears to be the perfect compliment to Vince Wilfolk (who I now believe that the Patriots will sign)...CB Darius Butler appears to have the capabilities to develop into another Asante Samuel...and Sabastien Vollmer, a/k/a Sea-Bass, looks like he could be the real deal as an NFL OT.      Sea-Bass is the key to the Pats' draft. If he develops into a dominant OT, he, along with his fellow 2009 class members...plus 2008 selections Kevin O'Connell and Jarod Mayo...could be the core group of players responsible for the Patriots retaining their spot as an elite team, for the next 5-10 years. 

RESPONSE: Correct. But, I was reciting the opinion of Mike Reiss. If you care to look further, you'll see that I've questioned the selection of Chung over Maualuga from the get go.

Thoughts?   liar.....

RESPONSE: Normally, I wouldn't waste my time responding to such a rude individual as yourself. But, I made an exception here to point out your misconceptions. Furthermore, I never mentioned the trades with Jacksonville and Tennessee as "mistakes". On the contrary, I applauded them then, as I do now.      

Posted by beastplant

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

After a horrid loss such as the one in Denver, one has to endeavor not to let their emotions run away with them...and make rash statements, such as Brady is done, the Pats Maroney should be traded, and the like. But, its' clear that this team is struggling offensively...especially on the road. Why is this, you ask? Aside from Tom Brady shaking off the psychological and physical effects of a devastating knee injury, look no further than the following off season decisions: 1.) Signing Joey Galloway: The Pats should have learned something from the Indianapolis Colts, and their experience with aging WR, Marvin Harrison. There comes a time when a guy, no matter how fast he can still run, can no longer stand up to the rigors of getting mashed by CBs 10 years their junior. Furthermore, matching Galloway with the current offense was the equivalent of trying to mash a square peg into a round hole. At age 37, Joey can't take the beating required to run slants and makke the tough catches over the middle; 2.) Letting Jabar Gaffney Go: No star, he. But was a dependable third option for Tom Brady. He and Tom were "on the same page", after playing together since 2006. Seems to  me that the Pats could have kept him, with just a tad more dough then they paid to Galloway, and: 3.) Trading a 5th round pick for WR Greg Lewis: The fact that he got cut makes this decision even worse. Surely, the Pats could have used the monies paid to both Lewis and Galloway to resign Gaffney.  4.) Signing Fred Taylor: Though the 34 year old RB was playing well until going down, possibly for the season, with an ankle injury. Older players are more prone to such things than younger players. Plus, Taylor had a history of being injury prone, pretty much throughout his career. 5.) Passing on ILB Rey Maualuga: Sure, there were some off field incidents. But the Pats needed LBs...and had a guy with a first round rating fall to them. Maualuga is starting for the 4-1 Bengals. Instead, the Pats chose safety Patrick Chung...who is a reserve...and looked terrible in coverage throughout the preseason.  6.) Releasing QB Kevin O'Connell: May be knit-picking, here. But couldn't the Pats have waited to trade him after game 2 against the Jets?      Thoughts?           
    Posted by TexasPat3

TexPat, Hindsight is always 20/20.

1) Agree on Galloway: At the time the Pats signed him and Springs I said both players were injuries waiting to happen. I also said that Galloway only has to catch 35-40 footballs to be effective...he is injured ?....and won't catch 35-40 balls. I don't always subscribe to the "he's still got plenty left in the tank" theory with players on the wrong side of 34 yrs old. Seau is a different matter entirely.

2) Letting Jabar Gaffney go: Mc Daniels signed Gaffney; which I thought was a shrewd move on his part if for no other reason than to have someone that knows his offensive style and can easily communicate that style to his new teamates. gaffney was not spectacular in any way other than being a 3 WR for a very good WR corps. If letting players like Gaffney go means creating room for a Wilfork extension I am all for that. I also thought Baker at TE would be an option and an endzone threat....that seems only to have happened in maybe two games so far this year. If Galloway shows up at all this maybe a premature judgement, but there is little evidence out there that he will.

3) Agree 100%. 5th rounder for a player that gets cut is bad value any way you cut it. It could be worse if that player turns out to be effective for another team and a fifth rounder sounds like the pick you trade to move up in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd rounds of the draft to get the player you want.

4)Fred Taylor.  The argument was that he shared carries with Jones-Drew the latter part of his career and that he wouldn't be as spent as a feature back like Larry Johnson or other feature backs that had a huge workload. Taylor has been fairly effective when he got the rock and I don't think even you TEXPAT, had the foresight to see him getting injured. So to evaluate him on the basis of so little production + an injury is slightly unfair. If BB wants to have a good running game he's got a stable of backs to choose from including the much maligned Maroney and the seldom used Law Firm. Still to early to evaluate. Heath Evans anyone. One point I might make is that the Pats don't have a legit FB to pick up the blitz, catch passes, and run the ball.....we are, in essence, still looking for Corey Dillon 2.0. A clock Killer that always penetrates the LOS and gets positive yards after contact (an area where Maroney has struggled.

5)Rey Mauluaga (still can't spell his name right). We had MacKenzie, Guyton, and Mayo with Seau, evidently, on speed dial. MacKenzie got injured during camp? (unforeseen) Mayo got injured (also unforeseen) and Guyton is playing fairly well.
    yeah, the Maluaga draft looks right now....oh I forgot, let's throw the injured Brandon Tate into the mix too, because he clearly stinks before playing a down of football in the NFL and his teamate Hakeem Nicks is better. If Mayo and Mac Kenzie and Guyton are healthy are we still having this discussion ? Is a healthy Rey Rey better than a healthy Mayo ? We also could've drafted Rivers instead of Mayo ! Point being Rey has been great so far, however, it is moot to compare an injured player to one that has played some games.

6) Hoyer looked better than O Connell in the pre-season and given the track record of turning 6th and 7th round picks into quality NFL starters I am willing to give BB and Co. the benefit of doubt on this one.

The key point is that all the Pats players you mentioned either got cut,are injured or have underperformed. If every GM could gaze into the crystal ball or consult their Jamaican Psychic and KNOW who, how and for how long certain players would be injured their would be no realistic component to being a GM other than the draft (at which point Jamaican Psychic stands up and yells to BB all the steals in the 2009 draft)

Good Moves By Patriot Brass:

1) Signing Bodden: He is getting chump change compared to what Asante wanted and he has been very effective in tackling the oppositions #1 WR at times (cf: Owens) and has made some quality pds.

2) Tully Banta Cain: When he is on the field (not often) he at least puts some pressure on the opposing QB. Again getting chump change.

3) Mac Gown. I honestly had know idea who this kid was, but he tackles well and nearly could have won the game against Denver (does this thread even exist if the Pats beat Denver at Mile High.....seldom happens) if he comes down with the jump ball on the deflection not Marshall. It was a piecemeal secondary to begin with; this and Bodden help cushion the loss of other players.

4) Trading For Two 2nds in 2011  during 2010 draft: As it stands the Pats would have two picks in the top 15 (Titans and Jags both stink) in the 2nd round in a draft they probably feel will have more depth at all positions than 2010 (eg rookie hard cap = more quality underclassmen)

5) Brace: When you can start to make an argument that Wilfork is our best defensive player two things happen: 1) You need to make sure that he gets a breather every now and then so that he doesn't get injured or is winded in a key game) 2)If Big Fork has a career year he'll want to cash in and Brace is insurance if that happens. I try not to compare pro-bowlers vs rookies because the probowlers win nearly every time.

The Pats have the players and the picks to continue improving. The D is playing well enough to win, but the offense is out of synch. All is not lost; Brady and the O will get better...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

After a horrid loss such as the one in Denver, one has to endeavor not to let their emotions run away with them...and make rash statements, such as Brady is done, the Pats Maroney should be traded, and the like. But, its' clear that this team is struggling offensively...especially on the road. Why is this, you ask? Aside from Tom Brady shaking off the psychological and physical effects of a devastating knee injury, look no further than the following off season decisions: 1.) Signing Joey Galloway: The Pats should have learned something from the Indianapolis Colts, and their experience with aging WR, Marvin Harrison. There comes a time when a guy, no matter how fast he can still run, can no longer stand up to the rigors of getting mashed by CBs 10 years their junior. Furthermore, matching Galloway with the current offense was the equivalent of trying to mash a square peg into a round hole. At age 37, Joey can't take the beating required to run slants and makke the tough catches over the middle; 2.) Letting Jabar Gaffney Go: No star, he. But was a dependable third option for Tom Brady. He and Tom were "on the same page", after playing together since 2006. Seems to  me that the Pats could have kept him, with just a tad more dough then they paid to Galloway, and: 3.) Trading a 5th round pick for WR Greg Lewis: The fact that he got cut makes this decision even worse. Surely, the Pats could have used the monies paid to both Lewis and Galloway to resign Gaffney.  4.) Signing Fred Taylor: Though the 34 year old RB was playing well until going down, possibly for the season, with an ankle injury. Older players are more prone to such things than younger players. Plus, Taylor had a history of being injury prone, pretty much throughout his career. 5.) Passing on ILB Rey Maualuga: Sure, there were some off field incidents. But the Pats needed LBs...and had a guy with a first round rating fall to them. Maualuga is starting for the 4-1 Bengals. Instead, the Pats chose safety Patrick Chung...who is a reserve...and looked terrible in coverage throughout the preseason.  6.) Releasing QB Kevin O'Connell: May be knit-picking, here. But couldn't the Pats have waited to trade him after game 2 against the Jets?      Thoughts?           
    Posted by TexasPat3

TexPat, Hindsight is always 20/20.

1) Agree on Galloway: At the time the Pats signed him and Springs I said both players were injuries waiting to happen. I also said that Galloway only has to catch 35-40 footballs to be effective...he is injured ?....and won't catch 35-40 balls. I don't always subscribe to the "he's still got plenty left in the tank" theory with players on the wrong side of 34 yrs old. Seau is a different matter entirely.

2) Letting Jabar Gaffney go: Mc Daniels signed Gaffney; which I thought was a shrewd move on his part if for no other reason than to have someone that knows his offensive style and can easily communicate that style to his new teamates. gaffney was not spectacular in any way other than being a 3 WR for a very good WR corps. If letting players like Gaffney go means creating room for a Wilfork extension I am all for that. I also thought Baker at TE would be an option and an endzone threat....that seems only to have happened in maybe two games so far this year. If Galloway shows up at all this maybe a premature judgement, but there is little evidence out there that he will.

3) Agree 100%. 5th rounder for a player that gets cut is bad value any way you cut it. It could be worse if that player turns out to be effective for another team and a fifth rounder sounds like the pick you trade to move up in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd rounds of the draft to get the player you want.

4)Fred Taylor.  The argument was that he shared carries with Jones-Drew the latter part of his career and that he wouldn't be as spent as a feature back like Larry Johnson or other feature backs that had a huge workload. Taylor has been fairly effective when he got the rock and I don't think even you TEXPAT, had the foresight to see him getting injured. So to evaluate him on the basis of so little production + an injury is slightly unfair. If BB wants to have a good running game he's got a stable of backs to choose from including the much maligned Maroney and the seldom used Law Firm. Still to early to evaluate. Heath Evans anyone. One point I might make is that the Pats don't have a legit FB to pick up the blitz, catch passes, and run the ball.....we are, in essence, still looking for Corey Dillon 2.0. A clock Killer that always penetrates the LOS and gets positive yards after contact (an area where Maroney has struggled.

5)Rey Mauluaga (still can't spell his name right). We had MacKenzie, Guyton, and Mayo with Seau, evidently, on speed dial. MacKenzie got injured during camp? (unforeseen) Mayo got injured (also unforeseen) and Guyton is playing fairly well.
    yeah, the Maluaga draft looks right now....oh I forgot, let's throw the injured Brandon Tate into the mix too, because he clearly stinks before playing a down of football in the NFL and his teamate Hakeem Nicks is better. If Mayo and Mac Kenzie and Guyton are healthy are we still having this discussion ? Is a healthy Rey Rey better than a healthy Mayo ? We also could've drafted Rivers instead of Mayo ! Point being Rey has been great so far, however, it is moot to compare an injured player to one that has played some games.

6) Hoyer looked better than O Connell in the pre-season and given the track record of turning 6th and 7th round picks into quality NFL starters I am willing to give BB and Co. the benefit of doubt on this one.

The key point is that all the Pats players you mentioned either got cut,are injured or have underperformed. If every GM could gaze into the crystal ball or consult their Jamaican Psychic and KNOW who, how and for how long certain players would be injured their would be no realistic component to being a GM other than the draft (at which point Jamaican Psychic stands up and yells to BB all the steals in the 2009 draft)

Good Moves By Patriot Brass:

1) Signing Bodden: He is getting chump change compared to what Asante wanted and he has been very effective in tackling the oppositions #1 WR at times (cf: Owens) and has made some quality pds.

2) Tully Banta Cain: When he is on the field (not often) he at least puts some pressure on the opposing QB. Again getting chump change.

3) Mac Gown. I honestly had know idea who this kid was, but he tackles well and nearly could have won the game against Denver (does this thread even exist if the Pats beat Denver at Mile High.....seldom happens) if he comes down with the jump ball on the deflection not Marshall. It was a piecemeal secondary to begin with; this and Bodden help cushion the loss of other players.

4) Trading For Two 2nds in 2011  during 2010 draft: As it stands the Pats would have two picks in the top 15 (Titans and Jags both stink) in the 2nd round in a draft they probably feel will have more depth at all positions than 2010 (eg rookie hard cap = more quality underclassmen)

5) Brace: When you can start to make an argument that Wilfork is our best defensive player two things happen: 1) You need to make sure that he gets a breather every now and then so that he doesn't get injured or is winded in a key game) 2)If Big Fork has a career year he'll want to cash in and Brace is insurance if that happens. I try not to compare pro-bowlers vs rookies because the probowlers win nearly every time.

The Pats have the players and the picks to continue improving. The D is playing well enough to win, but the offense is out of synch. All is not lost; Brady and the O will get better...

Sections
Shortcuts