Poor Offseason Decisions Hurt Pats

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Re: Poor Offseason Decisions Hurt Pats

Did not mean to post 2 times.....time to take the laptop to the shop...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Poor Offseason Decisions Hurt Pats:
    [QUOTE]Galloway was a terrible move, dumb on the surface, proven dumb in substance. Made no sense. I don't understand anything about the Greg Lewis saga, that is completely confusing from beginning to end. Gaffney? He dropped some big time important passes, and will continue to, so I think to question that move is a big reach.

Who would have honestly traded Maroney at the beginning of the season? Some, but not many. Don't even talk about wrong draft picks, its 5 GAMES into the season! Talk about Patrick Chung in 3 years Pats are losing because Brady is not back to par and Pees sux again as DC.
    Posted by Achainsaw[/QUOTE]

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriotsftball. Show Patriotsftball's posts

Make the move for T.O.......It is there to do.....One guy can do it!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlemaslow. Show seattlemaslow's posts

What's hurting the Pats now is not just this past offseason, but 2006-2007. Debate all you want about Maualuga vs. Chung, but on the other side of the ball there have been serious missteps in growing offensive talent. We now have the requisite three+ seasons required to grade a draft and 2006 is an unmitigated disaster.

2007 is nearly as bad. Yes, I know that Welker and Moss count as "draft picks" but that's not the same thing as growing talent. Where's the 2nd, 3rd or 4th round pick on an RB or WR?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

TexasPat and ALL:

First, Great Post man, and couldn't be more in agreement that the building process begins and ends in the offseason and with the NFL Draft...  One poster on one of these Threads said something some coach said like, "IF You Draft 2nd, 3rd or 4th rd talent, YOU'RE gonna play like a team with 4th rd talent."  So far, for about 5 years, THIS is what Belichick mainly HAS done (BB has an uncomprehensible facet of making "reaches" for "his type of guys" (guys he can get later on) in those 2nd-5th rds, year afer year, for 5 Drafts or so, when there's fantastic skilled talent still on the Board), -In The NFL Draft AND In The Offseason too.  

Second, It's funny, after seeing the Title of Your Thread, I wanted to come on here and talk about far and away my favorite single player of this past draft, Rey Maualuga.  Now, idk IF anyone else has talked about him, because it's past midnight, and so I'm skipping to the end here after just your post, BUT this guy was probably the best Strongside Inside LB prospect for a team running a 3-4 in about a decade:

Remember ALL, Mayo's just around and/or over 6 ft and isn't huge lb-wise, and he's got that pure tackling prowess, and football smarts, so to team him as the Weak Inside LB (WILL?) with a guy that could eat up those O-Lineman coming through in a 3-4, one that was fast enough (guy ran like a 4.6-for a SILB-at USC track day) to cover the pass (had a couple of INTs at USC-1 he returned for a D), AND by several NFL scouts I recall had "MULTIPLE pass rushing moves" to get to the QB...WOW!  This guy seriously could have filled that void left years ago by Ted Johnson at SILB (SAM?) AND surpassed his role...

So far this year, The ONLY thing I even do on NFL.com, Is, after each week's game(s), I go on the Rookie Stats Section to see where and how Maualuga's performed... So far He merely has (as I recall) 27 Total Tackles, 1 Sack and 2 Forced Fumbles...(as a rookie, in 4-5 games!) 

In the end, Look I know the "knock" on him was that he was somewhat precocious and didn't get 10 million in score on the Draft's Wonderlic Test, BUT the guy ALWAYS had simply amazing football instincts (he is and was always nowhere near "football dumb"), and was also a firey and intense As H#!! competitor... 

I just gotta ask, "Seriously, BB-How In-the-heck would YOU pass on this guy, a ROOKIE! getting THAT kind of production, and One whom MOST NFL pundits believed you'd take (IF he was there, which he was for YOU) becaused He was in a perfect position of need (and THAT good) for the Patriots"...I just don't understand?  I mean, That "Pass on Maualuga", (a guy I thought would be soo good for my team) -hurt at the time, but I figured that IF "In BB I trust" my wounds would heal...BUT it hurts just as much now man (oh well, maybe we'll pick him up when he's the very best free agent on the market 5 years down the line...for an extra 100 mil or so, that is). 

Thoughts ANYONE

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CapnFoxboro. Show CapnFoxboro's posts

Pats vs Titans

2 thoughts as Pats get ready to take on Titans ( 0-5 ) this Sunday :

1) First time all year they play a team that has already lost a game
       ( Ironically , Titans have lost ALL their games )

2) Pats can help their Draft cause by planting another L onto the Titans ledger
      ( Pats traded there 2009 3rd rounder for Titans 2010 2nd rounder )

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poor Offseason Decisions Hurt Pats : army strong apparently doesn't apply to the brain....i've been on this board for 5 years, under different names of course.  when one account gets put down for whatever reason you start a new one, and the date of course changes.  i'm sure this kind of advanced reasoning is beyond the pail for lemmings.
    Posted by beastplant[/QUOTE]
    Come on guys, we're all Pats fans.... just because you don't agree with someone, doesn't mean you should insult them and put them down.  WE ALL are ticked off right now and there's more questions than answers.  We all want perfection, or some semblance of dominance after what we've experience over the past 8 years.  Let's just remember, we're all united by one bond THE PATS!! Let's save the bashing for all the trolls out there!!  Laughing

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

In Response to Poor Offseason Decisions Hurt Pats:
    [QUOTE]     After a horrid loss such as the one in Denver, one has to endeavor not to let their emotions run away with them...and make rash statements, such as Brady is done, the Pats su ck, Maroney should be traded, and the like. But, its' clear that this team is struggling offensively...especially on the road. Why is this, you ask? Aside from Tom Brady shaking off the psychological and physical effects of a devastating knee injury, look no further than the following off season decisions: 1.) Signing Joey Galloway: The Pats should have learned something from the Indianapolis Colts, and their experience with aging WR, Marvin Harrison. There comes a time when a guy, no matter how fast he can still run, can no longer stand up to the rigors of getting mashed by CBs 10 years their junior. Furthermore, matching Galloway with the current offense was the equivalent of trying to mash a square peg into a round hole. At age 37, Joey can't take the beating required to run slants and makke the tough catches over the middle; 2.) Letting Jabar Gaffney Go: No star, he. But was a dependable third option for Tom Brady. He and Tom were "on the same page", after playing together since 2006. Seems to  me that the Pats could have kept him, with just a tad more dough then they paid to Galloway, and: 3.) Trading a 5th round pick for WR Greg Lewis: The fact that he got cut makes this decision even worse. Surely, the Pats could have used the monies paid to both Lewis and Galloway to resign Gaffney.  4.) Signing Fred Taylor: Though the 34 year old RB was playing well until going down, possibly for the season, with an ankle injury. Older players are more prone to such things than younger players. Plus, Taylor had a history of being injury prone, pretty much throughout his career. 5.) Passing on ILB Rey Maualuga: Sure, there were some off field incidents. But the Pats needed LBs...and had a guy with a first round rating fall to them. Maualuga is starting for the 4-1 Bengals. Instead, the Pats chose safety Patrick Chung...who is a reserve...and looked terrible in coverage throughout the preseason.  6.) Releasing QB Kevin O'Connell: May be knit-picking, here. But couldn't the Pats have waited to trade him after game 2 against the Jets?      Thoughts?           
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Huh?  None of these moves hurt the Pats.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poor Offseason Decisions Hurt Pats : C'mon Tas - everyone on this site knows that the ONLY receivers Brady has EVER had were Moss and Welker.  In Brady's entire career, according to this site, Bill Belichick's grandmother would have been a better option than the any of the receivers from 01 to now except for Moss and Welker.  Lets not get some bandwagon going that some of these other guys were capable.  It might mess up the whole Brady magic thing.  Oh wait - Cassell already did that.  Never mind.
    Posted by underdogg[/QUOTE]

Wow, your sarcasm is dumb....trpical Colts fan.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poor Offseason Decisions Hurt Pats : Come on guys, we're all Pats fans.... just because you don't agree with someone, doesn't mean you should insult them and put them down.  WE ALL are ticked off right now and there's more questions than answers.  We all want perfection, or some semblance of dominance after what we've experience over the past 8 years.  Let's just remember, we're all united by one bond THE PATS!! Let's save the bashing for all the trolls out there!! 
    Posted by theshinez[/QUOTE]

Amen.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PuntonFirstDown. Show PuntonFirstDown's posts

Brady has to fell a cetain sense of betrayal here. He could have signed for mega money but he wanted a winning team. He restructured his contract to get Moss. Now the team screws him with nanbob player selctions.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poor Offseason Decisions Hurt Pats : Wow, your sarcasm is dumb....trpical Colts fan.
    Posted by m1020us[/QUOTE]

Tropical Colts fan???  Is that what you meant.  Don't I wish.  Its 40 and rainy here today. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poor Offseason Decisions Hurt Pats : Tropical Colts fan???  Is that what you meant.  Don't I wish.  Its 40 and rainy here today. 

I just read this morning that the Colts have booted their best DT, Eddie Johnson, off the team. From what I understand, they kicked him off previously for reasons including mariijuana use: http://www.examiner.com/x-4450-Indianapolis-Colts-Examiner~y2009m10d14-Release-of-Indianapolis-Colts-DT-Ed-Johnson-has-major-onfield-ramifications

Though, as you know, I don't like the Colts...I have to give them some credit for being principled...and setting an example with Johnson. That said, no word has been given as to why he was released this time. Have you heard anything?

One of the reasons that the Colts are undefeated thus far is that they've done a great job of stopping the run...and Johnson has been a major contributor. No sarcasm intended, but this is really a shame for Indy fans...and for Johnson. Considering their schedule, aside from their game with the Pats...I don't see any team with a shot at beating your Colts. They have a great chance of going 16-0..  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poor Offseason Decisions Hurt Pats :      I just read this morning that the Colts have booted their best DT, Eddie Johnson, off the team. From what I understand, they kicked him off previously for reasons including mariijuana use: http://www.examiner.com/x-4450-Indianapolis-Colts-Examiner~y2009m10d14-Release-of-Indianapolis-Colts-DT-Ed-Johnson-has-major-onfield-ramifications      Though, as you know, I don't like the Colts...I have to give them some credit for being principled...and setting an example with Johnson. That said, no word has been given as to why he was released this time. Have you heard anything?      One of the reasons that the Colts are undefeated thus far is that they've done a great job of stopping the run...and Johnson has been a major contributor. No sarcasm intended, but this is really a shame for Indy fans...and for Johnson. Considering their schedule, aside from their game with the Pats...I don't see any team with a shot at beating your Colts. They have a great chance of going 16-0..  

Our old friend Adam looks to be out 4-6 weeks as well. Maybe they should sign Mike Vanderjerk. Oh never mind he called  Peyton out for choking in the playoffs and was immediately fired. The truth hurts.

Had to post this. Not usually a Colts basher but I'm tired of reading underdoggs cheap shots at Pats fans and the Pats organization. Some of his recent Gems have been to the tune of Brady being overrated, BB throwing the season away and Pats fans are all one sided and unreasonable. Considering the source I think most of us know who is one sided in there view points. Congrats on your 5-0 start underoos. We will see where you are come February.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SouthSt. Show SouthSt's posts

Offense seems very unimaginative . . . seems like much stems from an offensive line that simply doesn't/can't push defenders around anymore . . . our blocking has become very passive . . . not terrible with pass focus, but it's seemingly killing our run game, and slowly it will (maybe already is) hurt our passing game, particularly play action

phyically, I believe we are struggling, but also in our play calling . . . when ND cans Larry Mondello, why not bring him back???  Things worked real well between he and Tom for a number of years.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Although some of these busts didn't help I don't think it's lead us to where the Pats are as a team.

Jimmy Johnson cut several high draft picks when he was coach of the Cowboys.  Nobody really noticed because they were so damned good at the time.  The H. Walker trade is what made the Cowboys but many look at Johnson as a drafting genius.  He couldn't duplicate the effort in Miami and he sure as hell couldn't handle FA.  But in Dallas he's still a hero and would be welcomed back by the fans in a heartbeat. 

The fact is Brady is not Brady and we still don't have a pass rush.  Until these two things get fixed everything is going to be made like it's a bust. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poor Offseason Decisions Hurt Pats :      I just read this morning that the Colts have booted their best DT, Eddie Johnson, off the team. From what I understand, they kicked him off previously for reasons including mariijuana use: http://www.examiner.com/x-4450-Indianapolis-Colts-Examiner~y2009m10d14-Release-of-Indianapolis-Colts-DT-Ed-Johnson-has-major-onfield-ramifications      Though, as you know, I don't like the Colts...I have to give them some credit for being principled...and setting an example with Johnson. That said, no word has been given as to why he was released this time. Have you heard anything?      One of the reasons that the Colts are undefeated thus far is that they've done a great job of stopping the run...and Johnson has been a major contributor. No sarcasm intended, but this is really a shame for Indy fans...and for Johnson. Considering their schedule, aside from their game with the Pats...I don't see any team with a shot at beating your Colts. They have a great chance of going 16-0..  

TP - I was very happy when the colts brought Johnson back this year.  Now I am concerned.  Apparently there will be some information provided today. 

Johnson was suspended his first game (league mandated from his pot issue that led to his dismissal) and then has started all of the other games.  Here is my hopeful opinion.  Johnson was not effective against the phins.  Can I attribute this to it being his first game back in a year? 

The colts defense was stout against both the cards and seahawks who were both put in difficult positions with early leads by the colts, but do either of these teams really have a running attack? 

The same goes for the titans, except they do have a running attack and the colts played well against it, but again its difficult to establish a running game when you are so far behind. 

Finally, the colts held MJD to under 100 yds in the first game without Johnson and that is an accomplishment for this team. 

I don't know what to think.  I am concerned, but have to support management's decision. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poor Offseason Decisions Hurt Pats : Our old friend Adam looks to be out 4-6 weeks as well. Maybe they should sign Mike Vanderjerk. Oh never mind he called  Peyton out for choking in the playoffs and was immediately fired. The truth hurts. Had to post this. Not usually a Colts basher but I'm tired of reading underdoggs cheap shots at Pats fans and the Pats organization. Some of his recent Gems have been to the tune of Brady being overrated, BB throwing the season away and Pats fans are all one sided and unreasonable. Considering the source I think most of us know who is one sided in there view points. Congrats on your 5-0 start underoos. We will see where you are come February.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]
    TC - I think you need to reread my posts AND readjust your mind.  I have never said Brady is overrated.  On the other hand, I do love bashing Belichick.  And yes, many pats fans are unreasonable.  Not all, but many. 

As for the vanderjagt issue, did he call out manning before or after Manning put the team in position to beat the steelers in the 05-06 playoffs only to have VJ miss that game tying, end of regulation kick in the dome wide right? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poor Offseason Decisions Hurt Pats : TC - I think you need to reread my posts AND readjust your mind.  I have never said Brady is overrated.  On the other hand, I do love bashing Belichick.  And yes, many pats fans are unreasonable.  Not all, but many.  As for the vanderjagt issue, did he call out manning before or after Manning put the team in position to beat the steelers in the 05-06 playoffs only to have VJ miss that game tying, end of regulation kick in the dome wide right? 

Pretty Sure he was the only one man enough to call out Peyton for choking in the playoffs after another loss at the hands of Tom Brady and the Patriots. Its hard to remember when considering Manning has choked so often in the playoffs but I think it was 04.

As far as rereading your posts thats not gonna happen. I would rather read Leons posts. At least he does not disguise his hatred for the Pats, he just comes out and says it. You seem to be more of the "Snake in the grass type" who is constantly trying to appear objective but the entire time your underlying message is clear which is something like this...Man I hate the Patriots, man I hate Tom Brady, Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft and all Pats fans. Underdogg you probably hate Maple Syrup at this point.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlemaslow. Show seattlemaslow's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poor Offseason Decisions Hurt Pats : Pretty Sure he was the only one man enough to call out Peyton for choking in the playoffs after another loss at the hands of Tom Brady and the Patriots. Its hard to remember when considering Manning has choked so often in the playoffs but I think it was 04. As far as rereading your posts thats not gonna happen. I would rather read Leons posts. At least he does not disguise his hatred for the Pats, he just comes out and says it. You seem to be more of the "Snake in the grass type" who is constantly trying to appear objective but the entire time your underlying message is clear which is something like this...Man I hate the Patriots, man I hate Tom Brady, Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft and all Pats fans. Underdogg you probably hate Maple Syrup at this point.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

What if the syrup comes from Canada?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nykrb. Show nykrb's posts

In Response to Poor Offseason Decisions Hurt Pats:
    [QUOTE]     After a horrid loss such as the one in Denver, one has to endeavor not to let their emotions run away with them...and make rash statements, such as Brady is done, the Pats su ck, Maroney should be traded, and the like. But, its' clear that this team is struggling offensively...especially on the road. Why is this, you ask? Aside from Tom Brady shaking off the psychological and physical effects of a devastating knee injury, look no further than the following off season decisions: 1.) Signing Joey Galloway: The Pats should have learned something from the Indianapolis Colts, and their experience with aging WR, Marvin Harrison. There comes a time when a guy, no matter how fast he can still run, can no longer stand up to the rigors of getting mashed by CBs 10 years their junior. Furthermore, matching Galloway with the current offense was the equivalent of trying to mash a square peg into a round hole. At age 37, Joey can't take the beating required to run slants and makke the tough catches over the middle; 2.) Letting Jabar Gaffney Go: No star, he. But was a dependable third option for Tom Brady. He and Tom were "on the same page", after playing together since 2006. Seems to  me that the Pats could have kept him, with just a tad more dough then they paid to Galloway, and: 3.) Trading a 5th round pick for WR Greg Lewis: The fact that he got cut makes this decision even worse. Surely, the Pats could have used the monies paid to both Lewis and Galloway to resign Gaffney.  4.) Signing Fred Taylor: Though the 34 year old RB was playing well until going down, possibly for the season, with an ankle injury. Older players are more prone to such things than younger players. Plus, Taylor had a history of being injury prone, pretty much throughout his career. 5.) Passing on ILB Rey Maualuga: Sure, there were some off field incidents. But the Pats needed LBs...and had a guy with a first round rating fall to them. Maualuga is starting for the 4-1 Bengals. Instead, the Pats chose safety Patrick Chung...who is a reserve...and looked terrible in coverage throughout the preseason.  6.) Releasing QB Kevin O'Connell: May be knit-picking, here. But couldn't the Pats have waited to trade him after game 2 against the Jets?      Thoughts?           

I think they had a very good Offseason... the only real "bad' offseason they have had was 2006 IMO... the scouting/drafting/FA pick-up was just horrible that year and they are still paying the price for all those bad decisions.

But your list above has a lot of valid points... Gaffney would have been a much better keep than taking a shot at Galloway, obviously.  I still am rather shocked that they passed on Maualuga even when he fell to them in the 2nd round... their need for a playmaker in the middle of the Defense to go along with Mayo was greater than their need for Chung, who they could have gotten later anyway.

But they drafted Chung, Brace, and Butler and they all seem like very good picks as well.  But I agree Maualuga and any two of the above would have paid off bigger dividends this year for them I believe.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poor Offseason Decisions Hurt Pats : What if the syrup comes from Canada?
    Posted by seattlemaslow[/QUOTE]

Canada is close to N.E. Underdogg do you hate Canadian Maple syrup as well?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan24-7. Show Patsfan24-7's posts

I think loosing Gaffney was huge, but i also wouldnt underestimate the loss of both Heath Evans and Russ Hochstein, they were both true patriots, versatile and tough football players, both vital to our running game.

Sections
Shortcuts