Position battles to get a roster spot

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmmk. Show tmmk's posts

Position battles to get a roster spot

WR - Tate, Edelman, and Slater fighting for maybe one spot?

CB/S - Wilhite, Lockett, Butler, and Brown fighting for one spot unless Ras-I ends up on IR.

Is TE Smith that good?  Is he worth giving up that spot for a 3rd TE?  I miss Crumpler, but I even question if he is worth that roster spot! Have to make up for carrying 3 QB's

Tough cuts ahead, hate to see good talent get away.  Maybe BB will have IR injuries with younger players so we can evaluate them for another year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Re: Position battles to get a roster spot

You might be right about WR.  I think Tate will be gone but I do think there's a good chance Edelman and Slater can both stick because of their special teams play.

Regarding TE's, I don't think there's any chance they only carry 2.  Depth is needed because they have many formations with 2 TE's on the field at the same time.  I see Smith as almost a lock to make the team.  If his stock falls, I could see them re-signing Crump when he's ready to go.   I think there's also a good chance that kid Yeatman ends up on the practice squad.  He looks like a beast physically. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Great thread.

I think Smith makes the team. O'Brien put a lot of work into creating the new offense built around multiple TE sets, and I can't see why they would go with only two. 25% of the plays they put in last season would not work with Hernandez getting manhandled at the line by a defensive end. Plus Smit is legit. Ok, so he isn't great at getting open. That is why he came cheap. He has soft hands and is a terrific blocker. He is almost like having an extra tackle who can catch if he finds his way onto some clean grass.

The WR spot is harder. All three of those players add value but none of them is complete. Edelman is likely the best WR and returns punts, but he has been touch and go this preseason at both, and took a step back last season as a WR. Slater is a great ST player, but can't return anything. Tate is a 5th WR in my mind. Maybe he improves. He had trouble with punts, but is great at KR. I think they keep two of them myself.

The corners. They keep one or two. I don't know who it is, but Butler didn't help himself and has the worst contract. Wilhite hasn't been good. But at least those two are a known commodity. The overall track record of the guys makes me think Wilhite has the inside track. Butler not being far behind.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmmk. Show tmmk's posts

if they could find a long snapper that plays another position, that will save a roster spot! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

QB: None
    RB: Does Morris make the team as a 5th RB or perhaps as a 4th if Vereen goes on IR? Medlin is a long shot but has looked good in practice and, other than a ST penalty, during the first preseason game.
    WR: Tate and Edelman will make the team. Slater may have another spot but is competing perhaps with Malcolm Williams and Sergio Brown.
    TE: Smith or Yeatman or both?
    OT: Maneri or Levoir?
    DL/OLB: So many possibilities, not too many spots. At least Brace and Deaderick are simple with them on PUP.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I think they keep 4 safeties as well. So, I would think Brown or Lockett make it, my money is on Brown. I like the way he played last year with limited reps. I haven't see much on Lockett from camp...anyone know how he is doing?

CB..have to agree with ZB on this one. Butler's contract althought not huge, is not advantageous to him given how he is playing. Wilhite's contract isn't that great either to be honest. I'd rather see a kid like Malcolm Williams develop, be a dime option CB or safety, and Dowling get into the line-up. Williams also has good ST value. If he could be at least on par with Butler/Wilhite, I'd take him over those 2 clowns.

TE..no chance we only have 2 on the roster. I would even say I'd like 4, and keep the big lacrosse player on the active roster. He can't stash him on the PS, unless BB pays him well, even then, too many teams would line up for him up. If he has any sort of potential, this is what I woudl do with him.

The D line is going to be where we see some talent depart, or perhaps, do some difficult things and IR some guys like Brace in whch I was hoping he would have a breakout season after some inspiring play last year before his injury. Could Wright be a casualty given his injury history? Do you keep Love and Pryor over him? How many DL do you keep? I think we see 8 or 9.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

Smith makes the team. Slater makes it for special teams. No way he is cut. 

Morris gets cut. Faulk perhaps goes on PUP. 

At linebacker which you didn't mention, there needs to be some cuts there. Mayo, Spikes, Nin, Guyton and Fletcher make it. Cunningham gets a surprise cut. I think either Guyton or Cunningham get cut. I'd rather keep Cunning, but Guyton may fit BB's 3rd down plans. Cunningham doesn't cut it as a down lineman, and Nin and Fletcher are bette suited linebackers in a 4/3. Moore wins out in place of Cunningham for a line position. 

Tate may make the team as a returner. I don't know about this. Either Tate or Edelman gets cut. Right now, based on what I saw on preseason returning, they may keep Tate for returns and cut Edelman. Price moves up the depth chart. 

Butler is cut. Wilhite wins over Butler. Lockett is gone. 

Hoyer also becomes a surprise cut. BB can't carry 3 QBS with so much other talent on this team. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

The wide reciever spot is an interesting one, because you get the feeling a guy they cut could potentially develop into something and the guys we keep are not going to be here very long. At 33 Ocho should make the team and help, but how much does he have left? What is Welker? 30..31? He doesn't have deep speed and if he loses that quickness...Branch is already on the wrong side of 30 and has lost that speed.

As low as I am on Edelman, do you keep him for potential? I could care less about Tate; I wasn't impressed with him last year even after his good games. Price is a lock.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In Response to Re: Position battles to get a roster spot:

No way Hoyer or Cunningham are getting cut.

Smith makes the team. Slater makes it for special teams. No way he is cut.  Morris gets cut. Faulk perhaps goes on PUP.  At linebacker which you didn't mention, there needs to be some cuts there. Mayo, Spikes, Nin, Guyton and Fletcher make it. Cunningham gets a surprise cut. I think either Guyton or Cunningham get cut. I'd rather keep Cunning, but Guyton may fit BB's 3rd down plans. Cunningham doesn't cut it as a down lineman, and Nin and Fletcher are bette suited linebackers in a 4/3. Moore wins out in place of Cunningham for a line position.  Tate may make the team as a returner. I don't know about this. Either Tate or Edelman gets cut. Right now, based on what I saw on preseason returning, they may keep Tate for returns and cut Edelman. Price moves up the depth chart.  Butler is cut. Wilhite wins over Butler. Lockett is gone.  Hoyer also becomes a surprise cut. BB can't carry 3 QBS with so much other talent on this team. 
    Posted by Macrawn

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

ahahah its pointless to mention cuts here and there without looking at a 53 man roster.  I can promise you that hoyer will not get cut.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from goosedaddy. Show goosedaddy's posts

I don't know why everyone is so down on Edelman, he is a younger Wes Welker. When welker was hurt he came in and did a great job. He's only played WR for a while, and if you cut him he will play great somewhere and probably in the division. He's a solid player, just needs to play regularly. Great punt returner too. Tate show some skills but is not the home run guy we thought. Price is better. Butler is the worst CB in the league as far as i can see, wlihite not much better. I'd wait to see who gets cut and bring someone else in for both, you could go to any gym in the USA and find 2 guys as good as they are. They play with no instinct, not smart enough I guess. Cunningham is not big enough or mean enough to play his position, I'd cut him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

QB: None RB: Does Morris make the team as a 5th RB or perhaps as a 4th if Vereen goes on IR? Medlin is a long shot but has looked good in practice and, other than a ST penalty, during the first preseason game. WR: Tate and Edelman will make the team. Slater may have another spot but is competing perhaps with Malcolm Williams and Sergio Brown. TE: Smith or Yeatman or both? OT: Maneri or Levoir? DL/OLB: So many possibilities, not too many spots. At least Brace and Deaderick are simple with them on PUP.
    Posted by KyleCleric2

hy kyle,
       liked what i saw of medlin, dont know if they can fit him  or hide him, tate wouldnt be on my 53 man, pup ir or release, need a punt and kick returner reliable, doesnt have to be great at this point (dont like price there, too dangerous a position for guys with irreplaceable skills). like the 4 te's, hide or pup yeatman or fit him  as part of the offensive line. looked very good thurs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

Smith makes the team. Slater makes it for special teams. No way he is cut.  Morris gets cut. Faulk perhaps goes on PUP.  At linebacker which you didn't mention, there needs to be some cuts there. Mayo, Spikes, Nin, Guyton and Fletcher make it. Cunningham gets a surprise cut. I think either Guyton or Cunningham get cut. I'd rather keep Cunning, but Guyton may fit BB's 3rd down plans. Cunningham doesn't cut it as a down lineman, and Nin and Fletcher are bette suited linebackers in a 4/3. Moore wins out in place of Cunningham for a line position.  Tate may make the team as a returner. I don't know about this. Either Tate or Edelman gets cut. Right now, based on what I saw on preseason returning, they may keep Tate for returns and cut Edelman. Price moves up the depth chart.  Butler is cut. Wilhite wins over Butler. Lockett is gone.  Hoyer also becomes a surprise cut. BB can't carry 3 QBS with so much other talent on this team. 
    Posted by Macrawn

i also would go with 4 rb's on the roster, edelman over tate, if not cutting both(if we need the room. edelman is not a unique talent in my eyes) no way hoyer is cut.
    if need a stand in, hoyer will be decent. mallet not ready and hoyer will get a 3 or 2 if we wait.
    i also would like to keep farnham 2 ways and st.
    make a reliable kick and punt returner from th eroster who is not a top 4 receiver or top 2 back as its a high injury position.
    meri is gone if i can replace him.
    butler wilhite not that good.
    arrington, in my eyes cannot do coverage. he can watch a guy and then be clkose to tackle him when he catches a pass yes. so ideally, he eventually get replaced and released. more guys in secondary like ras, devin and bodden.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

edelman is jus tok at this point. could get a little better. i dont know he is ever gonna be special. and hes iffy for me if we need an extra spot due to carrying 3-4 te's and all the dl's we're gonna need with these older guys we're gonna carry and getting after teh passer.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

not going to even address cunningham. 
    TE: no way smith gets cut, he will never clear to the practice squad and they clearly like him. i think 4 TE's are a lock based on the scheme and the fact that hernandez is more of a wideout and H-back type. the question to me is if its yeatman or crumpler. i still find it very difficult to believe that crumpler doesnt come back, but yeatman has gotten a lot of press and may get scooped up if cut. i wonder if they offer to pay him more to go on our practice squad the way they did with daryl richard a couple of years ago.

defense: on the d line i think moore will get cut. didnt show anything with a lot of playing time against jax and there are too many other good vets around. anderson looked very explosive. 
    i think its too early to figure out the secondary. sanders is always supposed to be a bubble guy and then next thing you know he's a starter by week 2. not flashy but BB trusts him. butler will get a chance to make it and will play a lot. personally i'm rooting for the kid because he has amazing speed and athleticism. if he can get his head straight he can be a good player i think. 

QB: maybe mallet gets a mysterious injury after playing the full last preseason game and gets stashed on IR? i'm not sure what the point is in giving him a roster spot this year. hoyer is the clear #2 and mallet will never see a snap. could be a good way to open up a roster spot.

RB: i think we open with 4 RB's with faulk on PUP. he will only get activated if anyone else goes down. otherwise he's pretty much anther coach. i dont think vereen's injury is bad because he's been on the sidelines at practice. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Great thread. I think Smith makes the team. O'Brien put a lot of work into creating the new offense built around multiple TE sets, and I can't see why they would go with only two. 25% of the plays they put in last season would not work with Hernandez getting manhandled at the line by a defensive end. Plus Smit is legit. Ok, so he isn't great at getting open. That is why he came cheap. He has soft hands and is a terrific blocker. He is almost like having an extra tackle who can catch if he finds his way onto some clean grass. The WR spot is harder. All three of those players add value but none of them is complete. Edelman is likely the best WR and returns punts, but he has been touch and go this preseason at both, and took a step back last season as a WR. Slater is a great ST player, but can't return anything. Tate is a 5th WR in my mind. Maybe he improves. He had trouble with punts, but is great at KR. I think they keep two of them myself. The corners. They keep one or two. I don't know who it is, but Butler didn't help himself and has the worst contract. Wilhite hasn't been good. But at least those two are a known commodity. The overall track record of the guys makes me think Wilhite has the inside track. Butler not being far behind.
    Posted by zbellino

ZB,

I agree with everything with the possible exception of Tate being great at kickoffs. He averaged 25.8 per return last year, which is respectable, but take away the two 100 yarders and it's more like 22.4 per return. In fact, it's hard to recall another 30+ yard return; after the pair of TDs that came in the first couple of games, it seemed like every return was 20-25 yards. If Tate doesn't get a quick hole through which he can exploit his speed, he doesn't seem to have enough wiggle or creativity to make something out of nothing.

He's still probably the best we have on the roster, however, so maybe that earns him a spot.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Goodbyes are coming soon to several projects! BB keeps bringing in known commodities. Niko Kuotuovides replaces Slater or White or Murrell. If they sign any of the FA's they brought in today the axe is going to fall...BB only keeps those who can help the team win!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

No way Hoyer or Cunningham are getting cut.

+1 

Why would we cut either. especially Hoyer when he has trade value?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

None of  you have the guts to make a tough call. :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

QB (3) Brady, Hoyer, Mallett
    For the first time in a while, Pats carry 3 QBs. And hopefully only one sees the field. Hoyer a FA next season, Pats will be at an interesting cross roads then.
    HB (5) BJGE, Ridley, Vereen, Woodhead, Morris (Faulk - PUP)
    I don't know severity of Vereen's injury, hopefully not enough to IR him. Morris on the bubble, but his FB/RB/ST versatility I think he makes the team over Slater, but its tough to say. By week 6, one RB should be injured giving Faulk a chance to come back.
    WR (5) Welker, Ochocinco, Branch, Price, Tate
    I think Edelman goes, he was underutilized last season, but he definitely regressed. He also formerly served as an emergency QB when the Pats carried 2-if they are going to carry 3 (they will) the roster spot has to come somewhere. He may become a good player, but I don't think it will be here. One out of Tate, Edelman, Slater will make it and I give Tate the slight advantage for now. I still think he has the bigger upside.
    TE (4) Gronkowski, Hernandez, Smith, Crumpler
    Still would like to see Crumpler come back, with more 2 TE sets we will carry at least 3. Not resigning Crump gives Yeatman an outside chance, but I'd like to see Yeatman on the PS and let Crump tutor for another year.
    OT (4) Light, Vollmer, Solder, Maneri/LeVoir
    No surprises here.
    OG/C (5) Mankins, Koppen, Connolly, Ornberger, Wendell
    Cannon on PUP to start...could use him for depth purposes, but we won't rush him. Depth is lacking as Ornberger and Wendell are very mediocre
    DL (6) Wilfork, Haynesworth, Ellis, Wright, Anderson, G. Warren
    This is who I would roll with. Brace should be cut IMO. The big question is health. Who ends up on PUP/IR? Obviously, Deaderick, Love, Pryor are in consideration for Warren's spot, but I'll take the vet who played 16 games for us last season and that can play 4-3 DT or 3-4 DE. That being said, given current health status in 3 weeks, this position remains fluid.
    DE/OLB (4) Cunningham, Moore, Ninkovich, Carter
    LB (4) Mayo, Spikes, Guyton, Fletcher
    Hope to see Tarpinian on PS, he's looked good. Bye-bye Tracy White.
    S (4) Meriweather, Chung, Sanders, Brown
    I'll take Brown over Barrett or Lockett. Sanders may be on chopping block opening the door for one of them, but I hope he stays.
    CB (5) Bodden, McCourty, Arrington, Butler, Ras-I
    I keep Butler over Wilhite solely for potential. he didn't play well lest year, but in his rookie season he did. Wilhite has always been a bum. The emergence of Arrington and McCourty along with the drafting of Ras-I push him down the depth chart, but maybe that will take some pressure off and light a fire under him to get better this season. Still too early to cut ties with him IMO.
    K/P (2) Gostkowski, Mesko
    Given...

This is a 51* man roster.

I hate the fact that teams have a player who just long snaps...Ninkovich can do it. I'm sure someone else too. but the fact is Katula might make this team for this skill alone, though I would use that spot on another player. I would take Edelman, a DL, or other players on this list over Katula.

Not sure how others value a long snapper...

And one open spot for a lucky player.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

None of  you have the guts to make a tough call. :)
    Posted by Macrawn

No, that's why we have Bill!

ps . . . the teams dress 46 this year instead of 45 so the Pats will carry three QBs.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeitgeist49. Show zeitgeist49's posts

I  say  cut  Cunningham.  He  has  struggled  in  camp  and  clearly  doesn't  fit  BB's  new  system.  I  wasn't  that  high  on  him  anyway.  Many  posters  kept  mentioning  his  promise  just  as  many  posters  were  initially  excited  about  Ty  Warren  returning.  I  didn't  see  the  promise  of  either  of  these  options.  Also, I'd  cut  Wilhite, Butler  and  Merriweather.  Merriweather  no  longer  plays  the  " Patriot  Way."  Wilhite  and  Butler  are  easy  cuts.

Sections
Shortcuts