Positions filled with first 6 Pats Picks?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

Re: Positions filled with first 6 Pats Picks?

In Response to Re: Positions filled with first 6 Pats Picks?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Positions filled with first 6 Pats Picks? : If not for cancer he would have been a top 10 player last year. He's rated as one of the top LB's in the draft even given his recovery from cancer. Someone will be more then willing to spend a 2nd maybe even a late 1st on a kid with such a high upside and value. If there is no concern about him fully recoverying from cancer it would be hard to find a single team who wouldn't want to grab a top 10 talent in the 2nd
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

I like the feel good story of Herzlich but you realy have to look at the risk involved with picking a player who has so recently gone through the trauma of radiation and chemotheropy in dealing with his bone cancer. He is just a year removed from his treatments and has a titanium rod inserted in his leg to support the effected area.  Unfortunately I have been involved closely with people who have gone threw battles with cancer. The greivous damage to the entire body from the chemo and the localized damage from the radiation to the bone is very often never fully recovered from. The possibility of relaps is to high to take a chance on, and patients normaly aren't considered to be in remition till three years have passed, and safely till seven years have passed. His bone density in the treated area will be greatly reduced and have difficulty recovering because radiation kills good cells as well as bad. Thus the rod to support the leg. I wish him all success in his life but, I believe the risk of him being able to endure the pounding in the NFL for an extended period is very high, and would not risk any reasoably valuble picks. Great talent,high quality person,Strong person emotionaly and physicaly, but he may still have a greater battle ahead of him than playing in the NFL />

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

I think a full year of recovery will put him back to normal. It's one of those guys that fans don't like due to injury/health concerns, but with serious upside.
    Hmm....reminds me a little of this guy named Rob.........Rob Gronkowski.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

I wish that cancer patients after a year from treatment would be ok. Typically *from my experience* its just a matter of time until it rears its ugly head again. The people I've known their bones were brittle so to speak and their muscles weaker after chemo. I hope the guy never sees a single cell of it the rest of his life, but I'd worry about taking him really high in the draft,

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Positions filled with first 6 Pats Picks?:

1. DE 
    2. DE
    3. OLB
    4. WR We need a Vincent Jackson tyrp WR, big and fast
    5. CB
    6. RB

Use the rest of the picks to rebuild the O-line with Vollmer types

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

MB, great stuff as always. How do you assess the overall talent in this draft? I know last year was very good in terms of talent based on results and the way many coaches (BB included) gushed about the draft. Is this year close to last years quality?

[QUOTE]Here's my early pre-combine/all-star game/pro-day projection. 17 (Oak)-   Cameron Jordan (6-4 287) DL Cal or JJ Watt (6-6 300) DL Wisconsin - Both are big tough, strong and disruptive kids that really get after it, are strong at the POA,   can split the double and are scheme diverse which is a huge value.   Both would represent a big upgrade to the NE DL and are potential impact players up front. 32 (Own)-   Mike Pouncey (6-5 309) C/OG Florida - BB continues to convert Foxboro into Gainesville North.   This kid has great size and strength, he’s versatile and can potentially start at all three interior OL positions.   He’s also a smart kid, has a ton of experience, comes with a championship pedigree and is proven against top competition.   Pittsburgh will be hard after this kid too, to pair up with his twin brother Maurkice who they drafted in Rd 1 of   2010 draft.   He’s worked out really well for them.   33 (Car )- Mark Herzlich (6-4 247) LB BC - I think he’s more valuable to a team like NE that’s generally high on a player’s character.   He was generally regarded as a top 10 type talent before he got and beat cancer and should regain that form as his body continues to heal from treatment.   He’s big, tough, versatile, physical, smart and instinctive; the kind of blue-collar type player that you want on your roster and in your locker room.   I think he’d be great addition to the NE LB corp.   64 (Own)-   Randall Cobb (5-11 186) WR/RB/KR/PR/QB/DB Kentucky - You want versatile?   This kid could be the most versatile player in America.   He has the quickness, agility and suddenness that BB likes in his WR’s, is tough after the catch with big play ability which fits their offense and also gives them value as a RB/KR/PR and emergency CB, heck he had two tackles on D this year and has the SEC pedigree.   He was ultra productive with 144-1661-13 as a receiver, 228-1313-22 on running plays, 2 return TD’s and 5 passing TD’s in his career.  I think his stock will continue to rise, especially with Blackmon, Broyles and Floyd staying in school and you could eventually see him come off the board in the early portion of Rd 2 similar to Dexter McCluster who went 36th overall to KC last year. 74 (Min)- Robert Sands (6-5 220) S WVU -   Great size/speed combo, good instincts and ball skills, aggressive yet secure tackler, reads, reacts and fills downhill quickly, versatile and can play down in the box or the deep half/third.   He could allow BB to get creative and utilize him in some sort of S/LB hybrid type role and could be the long term compliment to Chung in the NE secondary. 96 (Own)- Thomas Keiser (6-5 250) OLB Stanford - Has the size that BB looks for, new to the position after moving from DE when Stanford moved to the 3-4 but had a solid first year with 5.5 sacks and 9.5 TFL.   Smart kid and brings it on every down.   He does provide some scheme versatility if they run some 4-3 sub-packages as he was a 1 st Team Freshman All-American at DE in 2008 with 6 sacks and 7 TFL and followed that up with 8 sacks and 15 TFL in 2009.   I look forward to researching this kid further to get a better read on his first step and ability to operate in space/coverage. -Or- Brooks Reed (6-3 255) OLB/DE Arizona - Great first step and quickness off the snap, has the ability to set the edge,   shows the ability to be disruptive and pressure the pocket from the outside, good awareness and ability to re-direct and plays the game like a man on fire.    He should draw comparisons to Clay Mathews in appearance, motor/aggression and Pac 10 pedigree.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Does he project to OLB or ILB? I just watched some youtube clips on him (including him shoveling snow with the nuns) and he looks like a great character guy at the very least.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Positions filled with first 6 Pats Picks? : If not for cancer he would have been a top 10 player last year. He's rated as one of the top LB's in the draft even given his recovery from cancer. Someone will be more then willing to spend a 2nd maybe even a late 1st on a kid with such a high upside and value. If there is no concern about him fully recoverying from cancer it would be hard to find a single team who wouldn't want to grab a top 10 talent in the 2nd

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Does he project to OLB or ILB? I just watched some youtube clips on him (including him shoveling snow with the nuns) and he looks like a great character guy at the very least. In Response to Re: Positions filled with first 6 Pats Picks? :
    Posted by Rockdog1293000[/QUOTE]

He's better suited in a 4-3 playing all 3 LB spots. If forced into a 3-4 he'd be a weak side OLB

With the draft it's considered a good draft, not nearly as great as last years but a good draft. There aren't very many 1st round grades but there's a lot of depth in areas of the Pats needs. The main depth comes in the 2nd and 3rd round grades thatflow well into the 4th

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I could see some trading down or even out to next year. I think this team potentially only has room for a few impact guys or quality players if you are being realistic and assume more improvement from the class of 09 and 10 (which I think is a good assumption). Also gaining back Bodden and Warren (if he still wants to and can actually play) should solidify some spots without adding any payroll or using any draft picks. They are in a position of strength.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Positions filled with first 6 Pats Picks? : He's better suited in a 4-3 playing all 3 LB spots. If forced into a 3-4 he'd be a weak side OLB With the draft it's considered a good draft, not nearly as great as last years but a good draft. There aren't very many 1st round grades but there's a lot of depth in areas of the Pats needs. The main depth comes in the 2nd and 3rd round grades thatflow well into the 4th

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from westga. Show westga's posts

1.DE
    2.OLB
    3.DE
    4.OL
    5.OL
    6.RB
     The first 3 picks to get after the QB, and to get in the backfield for tackles for loss. The Pats have no pass rush, and haven't for awhile. They would have beat the Giants if they had one then. Pats could have won the super bowl this year if they had one now. Picks 4 and 5 on OL. Gotta protect the QB, and gotta get depth, and gotta get younger. The sixth pick on a big RB. A pile mover, a north-south runner who gets three tough yards every time. A bigger version of BJGE. Sammy Morris did little for us this year, and Fred Taylor has done nothing for the Pats since he signed here.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I hear what you are saying, but if the pats said 'Okay pick 1 is DE so let's pick the highest rated guy at that position' then they wouldn't have drafted McCourty.

It would be great to get some pass rush with your base defense, which was a huge plus during many of the superbowl years. How many times last year did a D lineman overpower a blocker in the base defense? Very rarely by my count. You did have some sacks in obvious passing situations, but not enough. 

[QUOTE]1.DE 2.OLB 3.DE 4.OL 5.OL 6.RB  The first 3 picks to get after the QB, and to get in the backfield for tackles for loss. The Pats have no pass rush, and haven't for awhile. They would have beat the Giants if they had one then. Pats could have won the super bowl this year if they had one now. Picks 4 and 5 on OL. Gotta protect the QB, and gotta get depth, and gotta get younger. The sixth pick on a big RB. A pile mover, a north-south runner who gets three tough yards every time. A bigger version of BJGE. Sammy Morris did little for us this year, and Fred Taylor has done nothing for the Pats since he signed here.  
    Posted by westga[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]MB, great stuff as always. How do you assess the overall talent in this draft? I know last year was very good in terms of talent based on results and the way many coaches (BB included) gushed about the draft. Is this year close to last years quality? In Response to Re: Positions filled with first 6 Pats Picks? :
    Posted by Rockdog1293000[/QUOTE]

Thanks man!  This draft class isn't generating the same kind of buzz as last years and I don't see the same kind of overall depth.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

There is a ton of talent in the draft this year.  Lotta younger guys declared.  Many of the deeped areas are where we need help, so that is big. I see it like last year for BB, lotta depth in the 2nd and 3rd rds.  If the right person isnt there at 17 and 33 I can see us dropping back with both picks and gaining more for next year like usual.  Particularly with pick 33

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

In Response to Positions filled with first 6 Pats Picks?:
    [QUOTE]List your predicted Patriots draft positions in order for the first 3 rounds (regardless of if they move up or down) and your reasoning if desired. I'll compile and see how we all did after the draft.    1. DE  - desparately need pass rush. some franchise players available early 2. OL  - free agency could expose a big crack 3. OLB - need a consistent impact player and leader here 4. RB  -  Imagine how more balanced our O would be with an actual legit RB 5. WR -  Branch is old, Welker is ?? need a fast tall strong deep threat 6. CB -   need strong bench/replacement for predictable injuries at this position
    Posted by Eldunker[/QUOTE]

To me 1 and 2 are the same.  However OLB or the Elephant OLB is the priority.  Then OL then everywhere else. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

[QUOTE]Here's my early pre-combine/all-star game/pro-day projection. 17 (Oak)-   Cameron Jordan (6-4 287) DL Cal or JJ Watt (6-6 300) DL Wisconsin - Both are big tough, strong and disruptive kids that really get after it, are strong at the POA,   can split the double and are scheme diverse which is a huge value.   Both would represent a big upgrade to the NE DL and are potential impact players up front. 32 (Own)-   Mike Pouncey (6-5 309) C/OG Florida - BB continues to convert Foxboro into Gainesville North.   This kid has great size and strength, he’s versatile and can potentially start at all three interior OL positions.   He’s also a smart kid, has a ton of experience, comes with a championship pedigree and is proven against top competition.   Pittsburgh will be hard after this kid too, to pair up with his twin brother Maurkice who they drafted in Rd 1 of   2010 draft.   He’s worked out really well for them.   33 (Car )- Mark Herzlich (6-4 247) LB BC - I think he’s more valuable to a team like NE that’s generally high on a player’s character.   He was generally regarded as a top 10 type talent before he got and beat cancer and should regain that form as his body continues to heal from treatment.   He’s big, tough, versatile, physical, smart and instinctive; the kind of blue-collar type player that you want on your roster and in your locker room.   I think he’d be great addition to the NE LB corp.   64 (Own)-   Randall Cobb (5-11 186) WR/RB/KR/PR/QB/DB Kentucky - You want versatile?   This kid could be the most versatile player in America.   He has the quickness, agility and suddenness that BB likes in his WR’s, is tough after the catch with big play ability which fits their offense and also gives them value as a RB/KR/PR and emergency CB, heck he had two tackles on D this year and has the SEC pedigree.   He was ultra productive with 144-1661-13 as a receiver, 228-1313-22 on running plays, 2 return TD’s and 5 passing TD’s in his career.  I think his stock will continue to rise, especially with Blackmon, Broyles and Floyd staying in school and you could eventually see him come off the board in the early portion of Rd 2 similar to Dexter McCluster who went 36th overall to KC last year. 74 (Min)- Robert Sands (6-5 220) S WVU -   Great size/speed combo, good instincts and ball skills, aggressive yet secure tackler, reads, reacts and fills downhill quickly, versatile and can play down in the box or the deep half/third.   He could allow BB to get creative and utilize him in some sort of S/LB hybrid type role and could be the long term compliment to Chung in the NE secondary. 96 (Own)- Thomas Keiser (6-5 250) OLB Stanford - Has the size that BB looks for, new to the position after moving from DE when Stanford moved to the 3-4 but had a solid first year with 5.5 sacks and 9.5 TFL.   Smart kid and brings it on every down.   He does provide some scheme versatility if they run some 4-3 sub-packages as he was a 1 st Team Freshman All-American at DE in 2008 with 6 sacks and 7 TFL and followed that up with 8 sacks and 15 TFL in 2009.   I look forward to researching this kid further to get a better read on his first step and ability to operate in space/coverage. -Or- Brooks Reed (6-3 255) OLB/DE Arizona - Great first step and quickness off the snap, has the ability to set the edge,   shows the ability to be disruptive and pressure the pocket from the outside, good awareness and ability to re-direct and plays the game like a man on fire.    He should draw comparisons to Clay Mathews in appearance, motor/aggression and Pac 10 pedigree.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Looked them up ...thanks. 

Draft is tough to predict..whither Bobby Carpenter and Clay Matthews. 

Time will tell.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

Justin Houston from Georgia??  anyone??

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

schwank many here like him a ton.  Many would be very happy to grab him late first or early 2nd.  I dont think he will last to our 2nd 2nd rd pick