Positive from the embarrassing loss to the Browns, lessons that can't be coached!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Positive from the embarrassing loss to the Browns, lessons that can't be coached!

I'll start with, I don't have the link yet where I'm getting some of the quotes and what was said by Vince and Brady but will try to find it.  Read it yesterday but here it goes.

Vince said he felt all week in practice that the wooping was coming.  They had a very sloppy week of practices and just about everyone was making mental mistakes. Believe it is he who says people were reading about themselves.

BB said the same, pointed out how important the week's preparation was and how it translates to Sundays.

I know this was embarrassing but in the article they ask if BB let this happen if this was a costly lesson to teach the young players.  Were their head so big for having the best record in the NFL that they thought just because they are 6-1 now teams would give them anything?

I don't know BB let it happen but I believe this is a very important lesson for 1st and 2nd year players to learn.  Nothing is given, practices are as important as game day.  I don't think this happens again in all honesty.  Doesn't mean they won't loss again but don't think they loss because they just played as bad as they did.

Sometimes you (I have coached for years) can tell your players what its going to happen when they get too confident but it doesn't sink in.  They are young and once in a while a butt wooping is needed to get them back to reality.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: Positive from the embarrassing loss to the Browns, lessons that can't be coached!

Interesting, but I can't believe BB "let this happen" to teach the young guys a lesson. The margin of error is to tight to throw a game away as a teaching lesson. We are back in 2nd place in our division, with 2-3 tough games in a row...every win counts. 

If the young guys were not focused during practice last week and reading about themselves, why didn't BB, Vince, TB and others step up, pull them aside and give them a good lashing? Perhaps they did, I don't know...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PerryM. Show PerryM's posts

Re: Positive from the embarrassing loss to the Browns, lessons that can't be coached!

7393, Here ti is, I read this and came away with the same feeling. Also I had a duty weekend and missed the game but had it taped, and just before I got released some jerk yelled out the Pats were getting crushed 34-14. so I went home and watched it and not with the excitement of not knowing, but was able to sit and really try to analyze the game and the sloppiness was apparent. I remember during one of our SB years we were cruising along and played Miami and stunk up the game losing 20-0. After that they were a different team, I hope it works out that way again, I know BB will have them practicing different this week.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/columns/story?columnist=reiss_mike&id=5778661

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: Positive from the embarrassing loss to the Browns, lessons that can't be coached!:
    Interesting, but I can't believe BB "let this happen" to teach the young guys a lesson. The margin of error is to tight to throw a game away as a teaching lesson. We are back in 2nd place in our division, with 2-3 tough games in a row...every win counts.  If the young guys were not focused during practice last week and reading about themselves, why didn't BB, Vince, TB and others step up, pull them aside and give them a good lashing? Perhaps they did, I don't know...
    Posted by PatsLifer

Like I said I don't think he let it happen, but maybe saw it coming and guys didn't respond.  You know young guys, when they believe something not too many people can change their mind.  Not letting it happen but using it as a very tough lesson.

Still looking for the article and quotes, Vince and those guys did speak up but again someone can tell you until they are blue on their face a fire is hot but you don't know how hot until you get burned.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

I read the same stuff. Even Meriweather on WEEI said the same thing: practice was sloppy.

Somewhere in our first 8 games, there were two losses. Even with Moss and a healthy Welker. While we were playing with house money against Cleveland, a young team played down to their opponent. A sign of a great, championship-calibur team is that it wins the games its supposed to win but we're young and this will be a great learning lesson.

The other interesting thing is the players were expecting Belichick to come in and drop f-bombs but he basically said "look, that's not who we are so let's just eliminate bad football and we'll be ok."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Cleveland had a week+ to prepare and played their SB, totally outplaying NE.

It happens. NE still gets everyone's A game, it's just that when you are rebuilding like this, there will be a bump or two.

Cleveland came out hot and played very well for 4 quarters.  That's what happened.

I think people over-analyze.  In no way, should any game be considered a "should win".

Every game is of course winnable, but it;s the execution, no turnovers, clean play, etc, that puts this team into a position to win.

We know they have the playmakers and coaching, they just need to set it up so they aren't behind an 8 ball.

I have confidence they'll up their focus and come in ready to try to smack Pitt in the mouth.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I hope this kick-starts this team and refocuses them. 

I am actually pleasantly surprised in terms of how BB handled it, and how he brought a calmness to the situation, just simply saying, "this is not how we play and we are better than that"...This is actually more powerful and motivating than dropping f-bombs on the young guys. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: Positive from the embarrassing loss to the Browns, lessons that can't be coached!:
    7393, Here ti is, I read this and came away with the same feeling. Also I had a duty weekend and missed the game but had it taped, and just before I got released some jerk yelled out the Pats were getting crushed 34-14. so I went home and watched it and not with the excitement of not knowing, but was able to sit and really try to analyze the game and the sloppiness was apparent. I remember during one of our SB years we were cruising along and played Miami and stunk up the game losing 20-0. After that they were a different team, I hope it works out that way again, I know BB will have them practicing different this week. http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/columns/story?columnist=reiss_mike&id=5778661
    Posted by PerryM

Perry first thanks for you service.

thanks for posting the article, that's the one I had read.  Sometimes this is needed to get focused, BB didn't need to blow up on the team.  I think they know what happened.

even Crump went on big brother mode sticking up for Gronk, this team is becoming a very tight unit. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to Positive from the embarrassing loss to the Browns, lessons that can't be coached!:
    I'll start with, I don't have the link yet where I'm getting some of the quotes and what was said by Vince and Brady but will try to find it.  Read it yesterday but here it goes. Vince said he felt all week in practice that the wooping was coming.  They had a very sloppy week of practices and just about everyone was making mental mistakes. Believe it is he who says people were reading about themselves. BB said the same, pointed out how important the week's preparation was and how it translates to Sundays. I know this was embarrassing but in the article they ask if BB let this happen if this was a costly lesson to teach the young players.  Were their head so big for having the best record in the NFL that they thought just because they are 6-1 now teams would give them anything? I don't know BB let it happen but I believe this is a very important lesson for 1st and 2nd year players to learn.  Nothing is given, practices are as important as game day.  I don't think this happens again in all honesty.  Doesn't mean they won't loss again but don't think they loss because they just played as bad as they did. Sometimes you (I have coached for years) can tell your players what its going to happen when they get too confident but it doesn't sink in.  They are young and once in a while a butt wooping is needed to get them back to reality.
    Posted by Pats7393

BB admitted that nearly every weeks preparation is sloppy at times. It's nothing new. They happened to face a buzz saw last week.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

Cleveland had a week+ to prepare and played their SB, totally outplaying NE. It happens. NE still gets everyone's A game, it's just that when you are rebuilding like this, there will be a bump or two. Cleveland came out hot and played very well for 4 quarters.  That's what happened. I think people over-analyze.  In no way, should any game be considered a "should win". Every game is of course winnable, but it;s the execution, no turnovers, clean play, etc, that puts this team into a position to win. We know they have the playmakers and coaching, they just need to set it up so they aren't behind an 8 ball. I have confidence they'll up their focus and come in ready to try to smack Pitt in the mouth.
    Posted by BBReigns

Only the Giants and Ravens can try to smack Pitt in the mouth. Certainly not the Patsies. Keep dreaming. Defensively they are more physical at every position.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

In Response to Positive from the embarrassing loss to the Browns, lessons that can't be coached!:
    I'll start with, I don't have the link yet where I'm getting some ........
    Posted by Pats7393

I was lmao when u said we were going to go 14-2, wishful thinking.
    its a young team they r going to lay an egg every now and then

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Positive from the embarrassing loss to the Browns, lessons that can't be coached! : I was lmao when u said we were going to go 14-2, wishful thinking. its a young team they r going to lay an egg every now and then
    Posted by akius

Glad I could give you a good laugh, yeah 14-2 looks tough but hey I look at teams on the schedule and I can make an argument why they should win each one.  Adding them up individually they added up to 14-2, still look at the schedule and by game make an argument they can win each individual game.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Lets all hold this thought until after Sunday night. Then we can talk 'lesson learned'

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Lets all hold this thought until after Sunday night. Then we can talk 'lesson learned'
    Posted by Evil2010

a win over pitt is good but i am not neccessarily looking for one this week. i want them to show a bit more maturity on the field and stay close...no costly mistakes and everyone doing thier job. i want to see pitt really have to grind it out if the pats lose. i just don't want them mgetting clobbered too much because you don; want the young guys to lose  confidence/composure.

i trust in bb to figure out how to beat them if they meet in the playoffs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The coaches learned that Jake Ingram has lost all his confidence for some reason, and he has been cut from the team.  That solves one problem for next Sunday. 

The coaches learned that Logan Mankins is extremely rusty after 10 months of no training camp.  Much of that will be gone next Sunday against Pitt.

They learned that Gronk is an enthusiastic (er, stupid) rook.  For that matter, Hernandez was dropping the greased pig too. 

We learned that Vince Wilfork was playing just plain awful, like he was playing injured.  Lets hope that his apparent injury gets better by next Sunday.  For that matter, Brandon Deaderick, McCourty and Cunningham were all lousy too.  Brandon Spikes was kind of bad.  You'd think that Cleveland blew drugs into the visitor's locker room air vents.  But then Sebastian Vollmer and Matt Light were playing just fine this week. 

Sections
Shortcuts