Possible Andre Carter fits.???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Possible Andre Carter fits.???

The Carter signing is a little head scratcher. The D seems deep at rusher. Maybe Nink's groin is worse than we thought. Maybe BB doesn't like Bequette anymore. I think there's a possibility that carter goes to the DE and they move Nink up to LB. I also think carter may play DT in certain situations. I can't see any other reason to pick him up. Good player but doesn't fit what we may need right now. Lets see what BB has in store

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: Possible Andre Carter fits.???

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Well there's a couple of problems I see with Carter...one, he's old. Two, he's coming off an injury since the last time we saw him and three, he never throughout his career was considered diverse. This guy played defensive end (weak side), he didn't like playing standing up and unlike Chandler Jones, doesn't look like you can throw him in the middle on occasion in rushing situations.

I disagree that we are deep at outside rusher. It looks like Buchanon has leveled off a bit too me (although I'd give him more time) and Nink is giving them nothing in the pass rush from his side. We all know Bequette is a bust and for some reason they are dead set against rushing Hightower from the edge (probably because he'd suck at it, like he is in coverage). So we needed something...unfortunately all that's left is Carter. 

I like the young defensive tackles as pass rushers a little bit, but unfortunately they have to be on the field too much and are getting pounded in the run game. We are one miracle drive by Brady from losing three games in a row...something has to change. I think we'll start to see much more in the coming weeks, like Hightower being taken out of that roll they had him in last week.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wasecl. Show wasecl's posts

On IR after two games. Then the big re-signing of Albert Haynesworth.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Plusses:  experienced and knows the Patriots system.  BB is really getting pushed at defensive line due to the recent absence of both Vince Wilfork and Tommy Kelly.  More good (fair) players on the roster allows the D-line to rotate more, saving the best guys for the fourth quarter or for overtime.  BB is starting some real sketchy guys these days and Andre Carter might be better than one of them, especially if one of them is currently playing injured.  You never know.

Minuses:  last week, nobody wanted him.

He might stick.  He might get tossed in a week or less.  He might get hired one week, fired the next week because BB needs an extra cornerback or something on the roster, then rehired the week after that.  Who else in the NFL is going to hire Andre Carter away?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Carter appears to be the 4-3 DE role by default. It's what Abraham was going to be, but didn't want to be here.

Buchanan is young and Bequette looks like a bust, so it's a good veteran add to help out.

He has some 3-4 experience, too, so that can be a help in certain back to back downs, switching back and forth in and out a 4-3 and 3-4.

[/QUOTE]

so if he's a DE sub who is going to lose snaps between Jones and Nink??

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Carter appears to be the 4-3 DE role by default. It's what Abraham was going to be, but didn't want to be here.

Buchanan is young and Bequette looks like a bust, so it's a good veteran add to help out.

He has some 3-4 experience, too, so that can be a help in certain back to back downs, switching back and forth in and out a 4-3 and 3-4.

[/QUOTE]

so if he's a DE sub who is going to lose snaps between Jones and Nink??

[/QUOTE]

BB has kicked Jones to DT a lot this year for interior 3rd down push. Considering Ds are doubling Jones, you know the double comes where Jones is.

3rd down 4-3:

Nink, Kelly/Vellano/Chris Jones, C. Jones, Andre Carter/Buchanan

Collins/Fletcher, Spikes, Hightower

Should be interesting when Kelly returns and maybe if Armstead can be worked in.

[/QUOTE]

yeah makes sense i guess. alot of playing time to dole out if everyone gets healthy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Plusses:  experienced and knows the Patriots system.  BB is really getting pushed at defensive line due to the recent absence of both Vince Wilfork and Tommy Kelly.  More good (fair) players on the roster allows the D-line to rotate more, saving the best guys for the fourth quarter or for overtime.  BB is starting some real sketchy guys these days and Andre Carter might be better than one of them, especially if one of them is currently playing injured.  You never know.

Minuses:  last week, nobody wanted him.

He might stick.  He might get tossed in a week or less.  He might get hired one week, fired the next week because BB needs an extra cornerback or something on the roster, then rehired the week after that.  Who else in the NFL is going to hire Andre Carter away?

[/QUOTE]

Agree, if anywhere on the field you can make up for 2nd level talent, old or slighlty undersized players by platooning extra bodies it is on the defensive line. One of the contributions Wilfork  provided was extra roster spots for other postions because he was a many down player.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Carter signing is a little head scratcher. The D seems deep at rusher. Maybe Nink's groin is worse than we thought. Maybe BB doesn't like Bequette anymore. I think there's a possibility that carter goes to the DE and they move Nink up to LB. I also think carter may play DT in certain situations. I can't see any other reason to pick him up. Good player but doesn't fit what we may need right now. Lets see what BB has in store

[/QUOTE]

I do not agree on the depth issue. Nink and Jones are playing almost every snap. Buchanon is showing flashes in the pass rush, but BB wants the ends to set the edge first, and Buchanon is grading very poorly against the run. Bequette does not play at all. So actually, there is a huge need for some depth at the edges.

I would love to see Collins emerge, take snaps in the sub package, and allow Hightower to play the edge some of the time...

Injuries have hurt the team no doubt, but to make matters worse Pats are playing with a 40 man roster...too many guys the coaching staff does not trust to play.

Sections
Shortcuts