Possible DC For Next Year?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Possible DC For Next Year?

Did acquisition of Talib save Patricia's job?

With some teams cleaning house, are there any coaches that would fit here in N.E.?

Thoughts on Rob Ryan; if he becomes available?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Re: Possible DC For Next Year?

I don't think Patricia's job was at risk 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

With some teams cleaning house, are there any coaches that would fit here in N.E.?

Rob was here before as the LB coach if I remember correctly but I don't think Patricia gets the pink slip. Imagine the headlines if Rob is brought back to the Pats staff with Rex still in New York, assuming he keeps his job.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to Rodimus77's comment:

Rob was here before as the LB coach if I remember correctly but I don't think Patricia gets the pink slip. Imagine the headlines if Rob is brought back to the Pats staff with Rex still in New York, assuming he keeps his job.

I agree.  If Rob Ryan does become available, is he good enough to be DC here? Would he be around long enough for hire or would he get scooped up well before the SB is played?

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Who really knows what BB thinks of Patricia?  I don't think he would have named him DC if he didn't trust him.  The media have been all over this "BB is more involved in the defensive gameplan" story, and the camera shots where he seems to be spending more time coaching players on the sideline certainly feeds into it.

I doubt any changes are made, but if BB thinks that bringing in Crennel as a consultant helps his team , I am sure he'd do it, egos or feelings aside. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

Who really knows what BB thinks of Patricia?  I don't think he would have named him DC if he didn't trust him.  The media have been all over this "BB is more involved in the defensive gameplan" story, and the camera shots where he seems to be spending more time coaching players on the sideline certainly feeds into it.

I doubt any changes are made, but if BB thinks that bringing in Crennel as a consultant helps his team , I am sure he'd do it, egos or feelings aside. 

I agree. If Kraft and BB thinks there's room for improvement, why wouldn't he hire a legit DC if it helps the team reach its goals?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Rob Ryan is more overrated than Rex is! And who knows maybe he likes feet to!! Plus he needs a haircut! No thanks!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Could it be that this was a young defense that didn't really start gelling until midseason?  Could it be that Belichick defense's always seem to improve before the post season?  Could it be that this defense was never bad at all, they might have played poorly at times but the talent level was always there?

What happens if we win a Super Bowl, are we still in the coach hunt?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Could it be that this was a young defense that didn't really start gelling until midseason?  Could it be that Belichick defense's always seem to improve before the post season?  Could it be that this defense was never bad at all, they might have played poorly at times but the talent level was always there?

IMO, it happened later than mid-season.  I'm thinking that they performed better AFTER acquiring Talib.  Again, if there's an opportunity to improve the team for the future, why not look at a different DC if it improves the team?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Rob Ryans teams in Oakland and Dallas play defense similar to the Jets teams. The CB's press and are left on islands, and there is constant changing of blitz alley's to pressure the QB.

The Pats dont have the defensive personel to play that type of defense imo. While Talib is a big upgrade over what has been here, he has been in the league for 4 years, and has proven to be average, making mental errors/lapses in judgement on and off the field. Dennerd has played in what 5 games?

I simply dont see a defensive system built the way Rob and REx coach while BB is the Coach/GM.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

They played just as well because Dennard was at the opposite corner spot, don't get me wrong Talib is a real talent and our ability to press cover with he and Dennard substantially improved our defense, but than so did putting McCourty at FS to clean up their mess.  

One player didn't turn this around, the improvement of the unit as a whole did.  I'd love it if they resigned Talib, but if they don't another physical corner will be found in free agency or through the draft or Ras will come back healthy to play the position he was originally brought here to play.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I happen to think that regardless of the SB outcome, the PAts stay with PAtricia. But to say that this defense never played bad at all? The talent level was always there? I think BB changing all 4 defensive back field players mid season spoke volumes on what he thought.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

They played just as well because Dennard was at the opposite corner spot, don't get me wrong Talib is a real talent and our ability to press cover with he and Dennard substantially improved our defense, but than so did putting McCourty at FS to clean up their mess.  

One player didn't turn this around, the improvement of the unit as a whole did.  I'd love it if they resigned Talib, but if they don't another physical corner will be found in free agency or through the draft or Ras will come back healthy to play the position he was originally brought here to play.

true, but BBs options were limited prior to Talibs presence. IMO, when the time comes where we need to have solid man-to-man coverage - Talib is the key for that to happen. Without Talib, the defense as a whole can't be as aggressive.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

IMO, it happened later than mid-season.  I'm thinking that they performed better AFTER acquiring Talib.  Again, if there's an opportunity to improve the team for the future, why not look at a different DC if it improves the team?

FWIW, the Pats acquired Talib right at 'mid-season.'  Obviously, acquiring Talib has helped this defense progress with not only being able to move McCourty to Safety, but the emergence of Dennard.  I think the young defense was already progressing, so I woudn't necessarily give all the credit to the acquisition to Talib.  They happened simultaneously.  BB's defenses are notorious for starting out vanilla and slow in the beginning and then emerging late into the season.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

If Ras didn't get hurt he would have ascended, Arrington would have moved back to his natural slot position and this defense would have gotten better anyway.  The Pats acquired Talib because Ras got hurt.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

If Ras didn't get hurt he would have ascended, Arrington would have moved back to his natural slot position and this defense would have gotten better anyway.  The Pats acquired Talib because Ras got hurt.

Dowling has a history of injuries. 9 games played in two years.  BB knew that, gambled, and lost. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

FWIW, the Pats acquired Talib right at 'mid-season.'  Obviously, acquiring Talib has helped this defense progress with not only being able to move McCourty to Safety, but the emergence of Dennard.  I think the young defense was already progressing, so I woudn't necessarily give all the credit to the acquisition to Talib.  They happened simultaneously.  BB's defenses are notorious for starting out vanilla and slow in the beginning and then emerging late into the season.

first game w/ patriots wasn't until week 11...so, I'll concede it was around midseason...lol :)

No, I'm not saying the young defense didn't improve, but I think the above average quality of Talib was the move that allowed BB to make changes in where people played

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

do we know that BB is unhappy with Patricia?  If not then MP is not going anywhere.  The in-game coaching may be a natural division of duties they have arrived at during this year with MP doing all the pre-game prep and game planning.  The thing is,,,WE DON'T KNOW

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

If anything it did the opposite by showing it was the personel not the coaching. An improved secondary frees up the front 7 for more blitz packages.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

Dowling has a history of injuries. 9 games played in two years.  BB knew that, gambled, and lost. 

Anonymous is dead spot on...that was a draft fail, especially with Dowling's history.  Until it changes...it was a fail.  If Dowling this, Dowling that....To quote BB: "If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, it'd be Christmas everyday!"

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Wouldn't mind seeing Lovie Smith as DC here. That guy has built nothing but solid D's everywhere he's gone.

Even playing in the relatively high-scoring NFC North, the Bears had the 3rd ranked scoring defense in the NFC...and contributed significantly to the Points For column for D Bears.

Sections
Shortcuts