Possible FA Target?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Possible FA Target?

Desmond Bryant DT from the Raiders.  Went undrafted and started for the 2nd half of the season when Seymour went on IR.  Has good size and has shown an ability to rush the passer collecting 3.5 sacks in the 2nd half of the season as a starter.  Can play 1 tech and 3 tech.  Smart kid who went to Harvard.  Probably won't be too expensive and is still young at 27.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Re: Possible FA Target?

I agree......

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

Maybe should digest the signing of Armond Armstead first. There are other more pressing areas of need to address.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Bryant was born in Shorewood, Illinois to Alton and Lillian Bryant. He graduated from East Bladen High School at Elizabethtown, North Carolina in 2004. In his senior season, Bryant helped his high school football team to a 13-1 record. That was his only year playing high school football in North Carolina; Bryant played football and basketball for three years while attending high school in Middletown, Delaware and played for the East Bladen basketball team for two seasons. With a weighted 4.2 grade point average and 1830 SAT score, Bryant chose Harvard despite offers by Duke, Florida A&M, and Towson State. As Ivy League schools do not offer athletic scholarships, Bryant received an academic scholarship.[2] Harvard coach Tim Murphy thought that Bryant could be a four-year starter and potentially a professional player and compared Bryant to a Southeastern Conference player.[3] At Harvard, Bryant majored in economics and played 32 games in four seasons. In his senior season, Bryant was named second team All-Ivy League after leading Harvard with eight quarterback hurries and 4.5 tackles leading to losses.[4]

Bryant is the 29th Harvard Crimson football player to play in the NFL.[3] In April 2009, Bryant signed a free agent contract with the Oakland Raiders.[5] Bryant played all 16 games of his rookie season and had 24 solo and 8 assisted tackles. The next season, Bryant made 2.5 sacks.[4]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to nomadfan's comment:

Maybe should digest the signing of Armond Armstead first. There are other more pressing areas of need to address.

I don't agree at all.  The interior of our DL is paper thin.  The whole reason I brought up this guy is because he isn't a household name and theoretically could be signed while conserving cap space for other needs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

I don't agree at all.  The interior of our DL is paper thin.  The whole reason I brought up this guy is because he isn't a household name and theoretically could be signed while conserving cap space for other needs.

DT personnel is not paper thin.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4739293/positional-review-defensive-tackle

"2013 Personnel Preview: All four of the players (Wilfork, Love, Deaderick and Cunningham ) listed above are under contract for 2013, meaning the team is in good shape from a retention standpoint. The team already has gone to work in beefing up the position in signing highly coveted CFL product Armond Armstead, who has some scouts buzzing about his pro potential. He seems to be a player that could provide a pass rush boost in 2013.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Cunningham is not a true DT.  Deaderick and Lovie are not consistent.  Armstead is an unknown.  Wilfork is the best interior DL in the league.  Whoever is playing next to him should be making more of an impact than the guys we have now.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

pcmIV

Desmond Bryant is not as much of an unknown as you made him out to be. He led the Raiders in sacks this year. When he was a restricted free agent last year, the Raiders tendered him as a second rounder. He is listed at position 19 among the top 50 free agents hitting the markets this year, 2 positions below Wes Welker at 17. The thought is that Seynour is gone from Oakland, and the Raiders is placing re-signing of Bryant as high priority and may shed Kelley's 7 years, 50 million dollars contract or ask for a pay cut in order to  keep Bryant.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

The interior DL in a 4-3 consists of a DT and a NT. We already have a good DT for running downs in Kyle Love and te Pats are hoping Armstead can be the pass rushing DT they were looking for last season. 

The Pats need a slot CB(if they don't resign Aqib, they'll need an outside CB), a real deep threat WR and a SS for McCourty to team up with. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

The interior DL in a 4-3 consists of a DT and a NT. We already have a good DT for running downs in Kyle Love and te Pats are hoping Armstead can be the pass rushing DT they were looking for last season. 

The Pats need a slot CB(if they don't resign Aqib, they'll need an outside CB), a real deep threat WR and a SS for McCourty to team up with. 

My neighbor texted me this morning that he was on a flight with BB and his gorgeous wife. I told him to tell BB to sign Welker and Talib, a big, fast receiver and an all pro safety. Oh, and to give him my consulting bill of $50000.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

my understanding is he may be one of the most desired free agent d lineman, and not cheap hterefore

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Cunningham is not a true DT.  Deaderick and Lovie are not consistent.  Armstead is an unknown.  Wilfork is the best interior DL in the league.  Whoever is playing next to him should be making more of an impact than the guys we have now.

+1

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:

My neighbor texted me this morning that he was on a flight with BB and his gorgeous wife. I told him to tell BB to sign Welker and Talib, a big, fast receiver and an all pro safety. Oh, and to give him my consulting bill of $50000.

Belichick is divorced and has not remarried. He was traveling this morning with his tight end.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

my understanding is he may be one of the most desired free agent d lineman, and not cheap hterefore

I'm not saying there isn't going to be interest in the guy, but he's never started a full season before and does not play a flashy position.  I mean I don't expect him to cost peanuts, but not Seymour or Wilfork money.  I guess we'll find out.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

I'm not saying there isn't going to be interest in the guy, but he's never started a full season before and does not play a flashy position.  I mean I don't expect him to cost peanuts, but not Seymour or Wilfork money.  I guess we'll find out.

understood

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Just looked through the FA list and at this point there is not a whole lot that excites me. I don't know how much the Pats really have to spend depending on how they deal with their own but realistically the top end is going to be beyond them $ wise. The Pats do not like to spend more on FAs than they have on their home grown talent.

Top money for pass rushers DT/DE tends to be 10M/year in FA. Pats might stretch to 5M if they really like someone, but I doubt they look above that. 

Top money for CBs is in the same neighborhood. Again, they aren't going that high. Second tier where I think Talib resides is where they look again around 5M/year

WR - Welker at 7M/yr or someone else around 5M/yr.

Safety is one area they may really look at the top end - they are cheaper than the others at around 5M for top ten talent. That is why a lot of teams use the franchise on their FA safeties. Goldsen might be the only youngish top talent safety to make FA because he played this past year on the tag and will cost 120% on a tag next year.

Guards, Centers, and RTs are also cost effective FAs.

On a side note - I know there is this love fest between BB and Reed, but I wonder if he is really a fit for the Pats defense. His biggest strength is his freelancing ability - knowledge of the game and reading QBs. Generally BB doesn't want his DBs freelancing.

Honestly - I think we should be prepared for BB to bottom feed again - looking for the next Carters/Andersons rather than making big splash signings.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I agree 100%, but I will say I'm high on this Armstead kid and it's just from my untrained eye based off his highlight stuff. I'll tell yeah, if you watch his stuff, you will be impressed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mia76's comment:

Just looked through the FA list and at this point there is not a whole lot that excites me. I don't know how much the Pats really have to spend depending on how they deal with their own but realistically the top end is going to be beyond them $ wise. The Pats do not like to spend more on FAs than they have on their home grown talent.

Top money for pass rushers DT/DE tends to be 10M/year in FA. Pats might stretch to 5M if they really like someone, but I doubt they look above that. 

Top money for CBs is in the same neighborhood. Again, they aren't going that high. Second tier where I think Talib resides is where they look again around 5M/year

Safety is one area they may really look at the top end - they are cheaper than the others at around 5M for top ten talent. That is why a lot of teams use the franchise on their FA safeties. Goldsen might be the only youngish top talent safety to make FA because he played this past year on the tag and will cost 120% on a tag next year.

On a side note - I know there is this love fest between BB and Reed, but I wonder if he is really a fit for the Pats defense. His biggest strength is his freelancing ability - knowledge of the game and reading QBs. Generally BB doesn't want his DBs freelancing.

Honestly - I think we should be prepared for BB to bottom feed again - looking for the next Carters/Andersons rather than making big splash signings.

Yeah I kind of agree, there really isn't that much out there except Goldson and I'd go for it with him. He's the right age, size and fills a big need. I'd rather pay him than Talib because I don't trust Talib to stay healthy, work hard and stay out of trouble. I think if anything Goldson has shown that he loves to play football at a very very high compete level. I'd have to think Goldson would impact the defense in a way that very few in this free agent class could. Now having said that, I don't think we get him...he'll cost probably somewhere around 45 plus million in total contract numbers, but I'd rather have him than a risky Talib at 40 million.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Yeah I kind of agree, there really isn't that much out there except Goldson and I'd go for it with him. He's the right age, size and fills a big need. I'd rather pay him than Talib because I don't trust Talib to stay healthy, work hard and stay out of trouble. I think if anything Goldson has shown that he loves to play football at a very very high compete level. I'd have to think Goldson would impact the defense in a way that very few in this free agent class could. Now having said that, I don't think we get him...he'll cost probably somewhere around 45 plus million in total contract numbers, but I'd rather have him than a risky Talib at 40 million.

we can tag talib, sign vollmer replace welker with a #1 big ouside wr in draft(or retain at a lower cost if he chooses). my offseason includes keeping talib and drfting a big cb. gettign a pass rusher in fa or draft and teh aformentioned big outside wr and cb.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

we can tag talib, sign vollmer replace welker with a #1 big ouside wr in draft(or retain at a lower cost if he chooses). my offseason includes keeping talib and drfting a big cb. gettign a pass rusher in fa or draft and teh aformentioned big outside wr and cb.

Talib is a good player, no doubt, but did you see the article on him today about the Patriot's concerns with his work ethic? I mean if this guy doesn't like to work hard, gets hurt and has a history of many many off field problems...is it a good idea to hand him 45 million? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Talib is a good player, no doubt, but did you see the article on him today about the Patriot's concerns with his work ethic? I mean if this guy doesn't like to work hard, gets hurt and has a history of many many off field problems...is it a good idea to hand him 45 million? 

hey brother,

the reason i said TAG TALIB, no commitment beyond this year (can evaluate if you want to let him walk after year or a contrat with stipulations after year).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

So who is that guy? How many WR's in the last 5 years became number 1 WR immediately after getting drafted? Then, how many of them were drafted at the end of the first round or later?

I don't even know the strength of this WR class, but WRs typically take time to develop, even Dez Bryant took about 3 years. Can't assume you can replace Welker with a rookie WR

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Yes a CFL player that no one wanted last year and could of had a for song and dance is the solution to the lack of an interior rush.

Call me crazy but I don't think that fills the need and I could argue that interior rush is still our biggest pressing need since or pass rush still was towards the bottom of the league last year. Love is no starter and the D takes a hit when he spells Wilfork, Deadrick couldn't pass rush through a wet paper bag, and Cunningham couldn't make the team without help from his little friends

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

hey brother,

the reason i said TAG TALIB, no commitment beyond this year (can evaluate if you want to let him walk after year or a contrat with stipulations after year).

Gotcha, and what would that cost? Might not be a bad idea, but Imagine it would cost them 10 million and that doesn't leave a lot of room to pay many others.

Sections
Shortcuts