Possible FA Target?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Re: Possible FA Target?

I think pats go hard after d. GoLdson again.  This year though they land him.  It's been a mess since Harrison left here....no reed please too old.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NotPickinPeyton. Show NotPickinPeyton's posts

Hey there is a WR as good as Calvin Johnson available he became available today....JUST ASK HIM!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

No way you tag Talib - the tag number is like 10M for CBs, and no one is paying Talib that kind of money. He is good, but not that good and too much baggage. And nobody is giving him 45M either.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Desmond Bryant is an interesting idea but I think the point of letting Seymour walk is because of the production after he went down by Bryant and others... rather have Seymour or use that draft pick on DT which is a very deep position in this year's draft.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

In response to bredbru's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

In response to mia76's comment:

Just looked through the FA list and at this point there is not a whole lot that excites me. I don't know how much the Pats really have to spend depending on how they deal with their own but realistically the top end is going to be beyond them $ wise. The Pats do not like to spend more on FAs than they have on their home grown talent.

Top money for pass rushers DT/DE tends to be 10M/year in FA. Pats might stretch to 5M if they really like someone, but I doubt they look above that. 

Top money for CBs is in the same neighborhood. Again, they aren't going that high. Second tier where I think Talib resides is where they look again around 5M/year

WR - Welker at 7M/yr or someone else around 5M/yr.

Safety is one area they may really look at the top end - they are cheaper than the others at around 5M for top ten talent. That is why a lot of teams use the franchise on their FA safeties. Goldsen might be the only youngish top talent safety to make FA because he played this past year on the tag and will cost 120% on a tag next year.

Guards, Centers, and RTs are also cost effective FAs.

On a side note - I know there is this love fest between BB and Reed, but I wonder if he is really a fit for the Pats defense. His biggest strength is his freelancing ability - knowledge of the game and reading QBs. Generally BB doesn't want his DBs freelancing.

Honestly - I think we should be prepared for BB to bottom feed again - looking for the next Carters/Andersons rather than making big splash signings.

Yeah I kind of agree, there really isn't that much out there except Goldson and I'd go for it with him. He's the right age, size and fills a big need. I'd rather pay him than Talib because I don't trust Talib to stay healthy, work hard and stay out of trouble. I think if anything Goldson has shown that he loves to play football at a very very high compete level. I'd have to think Goldson would impact the defense in a way that very few in this free agent class could. Now having said that, I don't think we get him...he'll cost probably somewhere around 45 plus million in total contract numbers, but I'd rather have him than a risky Talib at 40 million.

we can tag talib, sign vollmer replace welker with a #1 big ouside wr in draft(or retain at a lower cost if he chooses). my offseason includes keeping talib and drfting a big cb. gettign a pass rusher in fa or draft and teh aformentioned big outside wr and cb.

So who is that guy? How many WR's in the last 5 years became number 1 WR immediately after getting drafted? Then, how many of them were drafted at the end of the first round or later?

I don't even know the strength of this WR class, but WRs typically take time to develop, even Dez Bryant took about 3 years. Can't assume you can replace Welker with a rookie WR

if you watched college ball this year there are many, and several also in small schools who may be that. available near the bottom of rd 1 may be a guy like deandre hopkins.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=108645&draftyear=2014&genpos=WR

there are several others., for that you cna check out the recievers i and others have pointed out on the draft thread.

re replace him, not my intention, replace the 3-4 yard welker dive with a legit outside threat that will open up everyone else in the offense including the back, if josh is smart enough eventually to run  a package he can suggest the threat of all the weapons we possess, so that defenses cant guess or know ahead of time. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

No way you tag Talib - the tag number is like 10M for CBs, and no one is paying Talib that kind of money. He is good, but not that good and too much baggage. And nobody is giving him 45M either.

well, "nobody" includes me, nfl experts, nfl gms and maybe bb(re 10 m or 40-50 m). we'll see. 

10 m for a  #1 cb, which is what he is, and keeping a real defense vs the gimicks bb has been trying to run till we got him, will be well worth it. 

if we let him walk, we need 2 good cbs one who can cover elite wrs. talib is the top cb in fa. 

suffice it to say, we disagree. huuuugely.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to NOISE's comment:

I think pats go hard after d. GoLdson again.  This year though they land him.  It's been a mess since Harrison left here....no reed please too old.  

golton or byrd would be nice.

could go s in rd 3 in draft as well. 

i prefer pass rusher, safety and maybe cover lb in fa

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to nomadfan's comment:

Maybe should digest the signing of Armond Armstead first. There are other more pressing areas of need to address.

Yes a CFL player that no one wanted last year and could of had a for song and dance is the solution to the lack of an interior rush.

Call me crazy but I don't think that fills the need and I could argue that interior rush is still our biggest pressing need since or pass rush still was towards the bottom of the league last year. Love is no starter and the D takes a hit when he spells Wilfork, Deadrick couldn't pass rush through a wet paper bag, and Cunningham couldn't make the team without help from his little friends

if we had the picks, we need a dt and elite de.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Just looked through the FA list and at this point there is not a whole lot that excites me. I don't know how much the Pats really have to spend depending on how they deal with their own but realistically the top end is going to be beyond them $ wise. The Pats do not like to spend more on FAs than they have on their home grown talent.

Top money for pass rushers DT/DE tends to be 10M/year in FA. Pats might stretch to 5M if they really like someone, but I doubt they look above that. 

Top money for CBs is in the same neighborhood. Again, they aren't going that high. Second tier where I think Talib resides is where they look again around 5M/year

WR - Welker at 7M/yr or someone else around 5M/yr.

Safety is one area they may really look at the top end - they are cheaper than the others at around 5M for top ten talent. That is why a lot of teams use the franchise on their FA safeties. Goldsen might be the only youngish top talent safety to make FA because he played this past year on the tag and will cost 120% on a tag next year.

Guards, Centers, and RTs are also cost effective FAs.

On a side note - I know there is this love fest between BB and Reed, but I wonder if he is really a fit for the Pats defense. His biggest strength is his freelancing ability - knowledge of the game and reading QBs. Generally BB doesn't want his DBs freelancing.

Honestly - I think we should be prepared for BB to bottom feed again - looking for the next Carters/Andersons rather than making big splash signings.

Yeah I kind of agree, there really isn't that much out there except Goldson and I'd go for it with him. He's the right age, size and fills a big need. I'd rather pay him than Talib because I don't trust Talib to stay healthy, work hard and stay out of trouble. I think if anything Goldson has shown that he loves to play football at a very very high compete level. I'd have to think Goldson would impact the defense in a way that very few in this free agent class could. Now having said that, I don't think we get him...he'll cost probably somewhere around 45 plus million in total contract numbers, but I'd rather have him than a risky Talib at 40 million.

we can tag talib, sign vollmer replace welker with a #1 big ouside wr in draft(or retain at a lower cost if he chooses). my offseason includes keeping talib and drfting a big cb. gettign a pass rusher in fa or draft and teh aformentioned big outside wr and cb.

Talib is a good player, no doubt, but did you see the article on him today about the Patriot's concerns with his work ethic? I mean if this guy doesn't like to work hard, gets hurt and has a history of many many off field problems...is it a good idea to hand him 45 million? 

hey brother,

the reason i said TAG TALIB, no commitment beyond this year (can evaluate if you want to let him walk after year or a contrat with stipulations after year).

Gotcha, and what would that cost? Might not be a bad idea, but Imagine it would cost them 10 million and that doesn't leave a lot of room to pay many others.

yes 10 mil. 

cap can be manuevered to keep our low end guys and talib and vollmer if we wish talib, vollmer and welker could be costly, but even then finagled. possibel we let 2 of the top 3 go. if we think volmers bakc will be an issue, we can move to replace. welker is the odd man out (unless he take a very low per year offer) ive been offering 6 per year, but even that is pushing it with the other 2 top fa we have to keep. of course i take a shot at contracts on all 3, but talib is the priority. hes the one if you take off the team the team ability drops the most.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

well, "nobody" includes me, nfl experts, nfl gms and maybe bb(re 10 m or 40-50 m). we'll see. 

10 m for a  #1 cb, which is what he is, and keeping a real defense vs the gimicks bb has been trying to run till we got him, will be well worth it. 

if we let him walk, we need 2 good cbs one who can cover elite wrs. talib is the top cb in fa. 

If he had no issues then $10mil for a true #1 would be about right however, Talib has a number of issues:

1) If he fails another drug test he gone for half the year

2) Injures are pilling up on him and he's never played a full season

3) He got kicked off of TB because of off-field issues, essentially. A team that desperately needed DB help was more then willing to trade a #1 CB doesn't give the best sense of confidence in the CB

When you bundle it all together there is no chance someone would give #1 CB money to Talib. Think closer to $20-24mil over 4 years with 8mil guarantied and incentives to drive it up to $27. If Talib and BB were smart they'd both settle at $12mil over 2 years with 6mil guarantied. The reason I'd say it would be smart on both parts is it fixes an immediate need for the Pats for relatively cheap with the option to resign once the cap increases. For Talib it's a prove it contract to increase his value back to #1 CB money right as the cap expands and he'll still be under 30 so he'd be able to cash in one more big payday.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

I see Vollmer, Talib and Welker all ask high reward and high risk signings.  Vollmer has back issues.  Talib just has issues and Welker is a big risk.  Welker will want big money and long term.  I believe he is one crossing route from done.  I like Talib but am not sure of his work ethic.  This year is supposed to be a strong year for DT and S in the draft.  I think try to draft these positions.  Sign Hartline from Miami.  Resign Edleman.  Than look at the draft or free agency to fill the outside wr position.   BB has success in drafting DL so let him do that instead of drafting a WR.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

While we have multiple needs and seem to differ about our biggest need let's not be overly excited about the adequacy of our DL.  With the exception of Vince Wilfork we don't have a complementary defensive lineman that makes our line especially dominant.

The newest CFL addition may have been overlooked last year but his rising dominance in the CFL got several NFL teams competing for his services.  Will he prove to be the missing piece we've wanted?  Perhaps, but also taking advantage of a highly regarded DL that falls to us in the first round seems entirely sensible as well.

We should all understand the defensive importance of  collapsing the pocket to disrupt offensive flow and how that contributes to the effectiveness of our secondary.  While our team strength seems to be on the offensive side of the ball we seem crippled when facing teams with dominant defensive front sevens.

I would favor looking for help in the secondary in the second round and trading our third round for a 4th and 5th round selection (hopefully near the top of each round).  We should be able to double dip on wr in those rounds.

As in all drafts the quality of what's available in each round will ultimately dictate our selections regardless of what we treasure most.  Drafting for need can be self defeating when reaching for talent.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

If he had no issues then $10mil for a true #1 would be about right however, Talib has a number of issues:

3) He got kicked off of TB because of off-field issues, essentially. A team that desperately needed DB help was more then willing to trade a #1 CB doesn't give the best sense of confidence in the CB

When you bundle it all together there is no chance someone would give #1 CB money to Talib. Think closer to $20-24mil over 4 years with 8mil guarantied and incentives to drive it up to $27. If Talib and BB were smart they'd both settle at $12mil over 2 years with 6mil guarantied. The reason I'd say it would be smart on both parts is it fixes an immediate need for the Pats for relatively cheap with the option to resign once the cap increases. For Talib it's a prove it contract to increase his value back to #1 CB money right as the cap expands and he'll still be under 30 so he'd be able to cash in one more big payday.

PatsEng - thanks for laying out the Talib issues so clearly - I agree completely, including the possibility of a short deal to allow him to improve his rep. One other point - he got pretty low grades from PFF grading of CBs - I know stats can be misleading, but I was surprised with how poorly he graded out in their review.

I absolutely think we need a good CB FA or draft pick and would like Talib back, but only at the right price.

On the CFLer - NFL teams don't typically bring in guys who have had heart attacks at age 20. The CFL gave him a chance to prove that it was not an issue and was probably due to faulty medical care and not a 'congenital' issue. Prior to the heart attack, he was pretty highly regarded, but had been off the field for a full year prior to last years draft - out of sight, out of mind.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

In response to msteven's comment:

I see Vollmer, Talib and Welker all ask high reward and high risk signings.  Vollmer has back issues.  Talib just has issues and Welker is a big risk.  Welker will want big money and long term.  I believe he is one crossing route from done.  I like Talib but am not sure of his work ethic.  This year is supposed to be a strong year for DT and S in the draft.  I think try to draft these positions.  Sign Hartline from Miami.  Resign Edleman.  Than look at the draft or free agency to fill the outside wr position.   BB has success in drafting DL so let him do that instead of drafting a WR.

Every player in football is one play away from ending his career - all you can really go on is past performance, and Welker has been amazingly durable for a slot receiver. Except for the blow-out of his knee (from which he return in half a year!) I don't think he has missed a game for the Pats. Edelman has yet to complete a single year, Amendola (who gets identified as a younger Welker) has not completed either of the last two years. Welker is getting old, but his production and durability is amazing.

I am not in favor of paying him top WR money to come back, but if he will sign for 7M/year with 14M guaranteed, I think you have to sign him. And I am not sure anyone else would give him much more than that.

I don't want Hartline - he is looking for big money (#1 receiver money) and he is not that good. Not sure what Boldin is looking for but if it is reasonable I much prefer his body type. Heck, I would take Randy back before Hartline.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

PatsEng - thanks for laying out the Talib issues so clearly - I agree completely, including the possibility of a short deal to allow him to improve his rep. One other point - he got pretty low grades from PFF grading of CBs - I know stats can be misleading, but I was surprised with how poorly he graded out in their review.

I absolutely think we need a good CB FA or draft pick and would like Talib back, but only at the right price.

On the CFLer - NFL teams don't typically bring in guys who have had heart attacks at age 20. The CFL gave him a chance to prove that it was not an issue and was probably due to faulty medical care and not a 'congenital' issue. Prior to the heart attack, he was pretty highly regarded, but had been off the field for a full year prior to last years draft - out of sight, out of mind.

Normally I agree but then you have the case with Cannon where BB basically red shirted him with cancer in his blood stream and there are plenty of cases where medicals sent up red flags but teams were willing to sign them to PS and red shirt them in an attempt to find a diamond. Even before the heart attack there were injury red flags as well as motor concerns which was having him drop to day 2 if he was drafted. It wasn't just the heart attack that dropped him completely off the radar and there was little interest from teams throughout the season and even for future contracts past a contract he signed with the Pats. The contract he signed with the Pats is also a vet min type of deal so if they chose to dump him in preseason it might not even count against the cap as it would have to be greater then every other 53man contracts inorder to do so. In reality the contract he received meant zero risk to the Pats so if he was so valuable as some assume wouldn't other teams be willing to take slightly more cap risk inorder to obtain his services? Right now I'd treat him as a UDFA camp body as that's what the contract he signed was warrented. There is no chance I would pencil him in to fill any needs at this time until he actually sees NFL competition, since in reality the CFL might not even be able to compete with some of the better SEC schools

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Normally I agree but then you have the case with Cannon where BB basically red shirted him with cancer in his blood stream and there are plenty of cases where medicals sent up red flags but teams were willing to sign them to PS and red shirt them in an attempt to find a diamond. Even before the heart attack there were injury red flags as well as motor concerns which was having him drop to day 2 if he was drafted. It wasn't just the heart attack that dropped him completely off the radar and there was little interest from teams throughout the season and even for future contracts past a contract he signed with the Pats. The contract he signed with the Pats is also a vet min type of deal so if they chose to dump him in preseason it might not even count against the cap as it would have to be greater then every other 53man contracts inorder to do so. In reality the contract he received meant zero risk to the Pats so if he was so valuable as some assume wouldn't other teams be willing to take slightly more cap risk inorder to obtain his services? Right now I'd treat him as a UDFA camp body as that's what the contract he signed was warrented. There is no chance I would pencil him in to fill any needs at this time until he actually sees NFL competition, since in reality the CFL might not even be able to compete with some of the better SEC schools

I can't think of a player who had both not played at all the year before the draft and had such a huge red flag. Cannon had just completed a full year of high level play and still dropped to the bottom.

And the contract is guaranteed first year money so not a typical late round/UFA contract - they were competing against a number of other teams for him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

Is there justification for the optimism surrounding the Patriots signing Armond Armstead?  PatsEng seems to think that Armstead should be viewed as the equivalent of an UDFA.  I thought his analogy too demeaning in view of the widespread interest in AA by other NFL teams.  Did his CFL performance rise to the level of "cream of the crop" among CFL DL?

It could be assumed that Armstead's CFL on-the field performance was exceptional.  Was it?

Evaluating Armstead's  statistical on-the-field performance (as a DE) has been rated as average among CFL defensive linemen.  His size and speed were considered exceptional among that peer group but with a +5 speed would be considered too slow for the NFL.  In the CFL he was a man among boys but among NFL DEs mediocre at best.

At 6'4/5" with excellent reach and good jumping ability his quick first step could work as an interior lineman except that his 290# weight is too light.  Yet with the frame to accomodate another 10-15 pounds of muscle he could function as a situational penetrating lineman. Among that peer group his +5 speed and quick first step could give him a speed advantage.  His height and jumping ability could swat-down passes.

Armond Armstead was signed because he showed flashes at USC and the CFL as a situational pass rusher.  Whether he develops into that role and to what degree he excells in that role will ultimately determine the significance of his signing. PatsEng may have been right in his assesment as we watch further developments.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to moskk's comment:

Is there justification for the optimism surrounding the Patriots signing Armond Armstead?  PatsEng seems to think that Armstead should be viewed as the equivalent of an UDFA.  I thought his analogy too demeaning in view of the widespread interest in AA by other NFL teams.  Did his CFL performance rise to the level of "cream of the crop" among CFL DL?

It could be assumed that Armstead's CFL on-the field performance was exceptional.  Was it?

Evaluating Armstead's  statistical on-the-field performance (as a DE) has been rated as average among CFL defensive linemen.  His size and speed were considered exceptional among that peer group but with a +5 speed would be considered too slow for the NFL.  In the CFL he was a man among boys but among NFL DEs mediocre at best.

At 6'4/5" with excellent reach and good jumping ability his quick first step could work as an interior lineman except that his 290# weight is too light.  Yet with the frame to accomodate another 10-15 pounds of muscle he could function as a situational penetrating lineman. Among that peer group his +5 speed and quick first step could give him a speed advantage.  His height and jumping ability could swat-down passes.

Armond Armstead was signed because he showed flashes at USC and the CFL as a situational pass rusher.  Whether he develops into that role and to what degree he excells in that role will ultimately determine the significance of his signing. PatsEng may have been right in his assesment as we watch further developments.

I mean, I'm not a scout, but I've watched enough drafts...watched enough highlights...read enough draft publications over the years...watched enough football, to form an opinion  that may not be that far off. What I've seen and read on Armstead has impressed me...he's big and moves better than any big defensive lineman we have on the roster right now. His weight isn't "too small" to play as an inside pass rusher in the 43. And his combination of height and weight are the right size as a 34 defensive end - so just from prototypical size standpoint - he's right there. Now i have no idea if he's strong enough to hold his ground in the run game (although I've read he is), or if he has enough refinement to beat guards and centers in the pass rush, but honestly you can say the exact same thing about 90% of the defensive lineman drafted in the first round every year. To me there's no doubt that he has late first, to mid second round talent, but that is no guarantee that he will turn into anything.