possible landing spots for vick

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTLadyluvsPats. Show CTLadyluvsPats's posts

Re: possible landing spots for vick

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=4175491 I cant beleive clayton would even consider the pats bringing in vick.does he deserve to come back and play in the NFL?sure he did his time,but it dosent mean animal lovers like myself has to agree on him playing again.they had something saying vick,and the spca are teaming up,and he is gonna talk to teens about how wrong it is to have dog-fighting.now its one thing to do this if you were a person who cares about animals,but in this case,he is only doing it so he can play foot-ball again.
    Posted by mosseffect43

As my S.O. puts it, "A scumbag is a scumbag. F* Vick".

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctpat. Show ctpat's posts

ctladyluvzpats, what is your view on the larger argument concerning hunting? you clearly have strong views on the subject of vick and dog torture, does it extend beyond dogs?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Wow. There certainly are a lot of stong feelings on this subject. I've stated my stance on Vick, I won't bore you again. On the hunting issue, it's a bit more complex. As for myself, I could never shoot an animal, not even if I was starving or broke. I'd probably steal food first. And I am repulsed by people who hunt for "the thrill of the kill", or to hang dead heads on their den wall (I'd rather have a picture of the animal free in it's habitat). Down here in SC a lot of people hunt. The few I know personally eat what they kill, and usually share and not "overkill". But Taz is dead on that hunting can never be compared to what Vick did, regardless of the animal involved. I, too, feel a bit guilty throwing a T-bone on the BBQ about the plight of farm raised animals bred for food. It's a touchy subject, and I'm glad to see the posters here have been respectful, even in disagreement. If vick is indeed reinstated (and someone signs him) I hope he flops big time. More sacks and INTs than completions. Maybe he'll face Jason Taylor (who is a spokesperson for the ASPCA and does TV ads with his dog), and Taylor will say w. t. f. and not worry about a 15 yarder! I still think Goodell will make him serve a further suspension. But I think we all here agree at least on one point...in the dictionary under scumbag it says "See Michael Vick". And that none of us would want to see him in a Patriots uniform!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctpat. Show ctpat's posts

mvp,

I hope you understand that we are totally in agreement when it comes to the subject of dog torture and murder. my views/scope on the subject simply extend further. That extension does not diminish my passion concerning the agreed upon subject matter.

you said that what vick did to these animals "was worse then death." well, make that distinction to anyone or thing that needs to decide between a group that comes to their neigborhood with the intent to kill them and their family with well intentioned blasts from a 30-06 and the group that plans to abduct them and transform them into fighting machines through torture. either way, your life is about to take a turn for the worse. when you are talking in conclusive terms of murder and torture you are usually in the sentencing phase of a trial and the only issue for debate is how severe the punishment. trust me if you someone close to you was murdered for the sake of the killer's thrill and someone close to you was  tortured and murdered for that person's thrill you would not view them all that differently.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctpat. Show ctpat's posts

bubthegrub,

I agree that if you are talking about hunting and eating the animal we have a whole new debate. i am talking about taking a life for the sake of the rush. your statement of "Taz is dead on that hunting can never be compared to what Vick did, regardless of the animal involved" is odd. my only question is why is taz dead on? why can't the two be compared? what is the difference? legal standards? social norms? legally speaking murder is more serious than torture. why can someone blast a wild animal and be considered a good ol' boy and someone who trains a domesticated animal to fight is the worst of the worst?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

It might be worth mentioning here that we in the United States do not generally eat dog (knowingly), but a large portion of the rest of the world does.

From a larger perspective, most of the world would view the way the friendly people at Perdue treat chickens as far more disturbing than what Vick and his buddies did with their dogs (except, of course, for the fact that they didn't eat them afterward).

I'm not sure what this means in the larger context of the argument, but I don't think there is any such thing as a universal standard for barbarism.

When I was a wee tad, I used to run trap lines with my Canadian cousins, and I can tell you that drowning or electrocution would look like a pretty good day at the beach compared to some of the sh*t those muskrats went through.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from paparui. Show paparui's posts

I think if guys like Leonard Little can get back in a league when he killed a actual person than Vick should get his chance if he meets Goddells requirements to get back. PacMan Jones paralyzed a guy and still got chances to play so why should it be different for Vick. The guy lost more than both those guys combined. Most of the dog killing was by the hands of the people working under him that snitched his dogfighting ring out. Those guys got less jail time and press than Vick only cause he's a recognizable face to the Media. I know what Vick did was one of the most terrible things you can do but the guy has been punished and is nearly bankrupt so he should be able to pursue what work he desires to make a good living. Dogfighting is a serious problem down south and Vick just happened to grow up in a place where it was accepted. Hopefully the guy can help put a stop to it by teaching people what's wrong with dogfighting within his own community and beyond. Vick can't take back what he did but if people give him a chance maybe he can correct the wrongs he did by helping young people not make the same mistake.

Also like to say hunting isn't much different. I know some people eat the food they hunt but you also have people that can legally kill animals for sport. Like people hunting Wolves and coyotes for the fun of it. I think that's just as bad as killing dogs if you ask me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x45. Show sday4x45's posts

but why football?.........He should be able to seek work........but what right has he earned to make millions again?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

bubthegrub, I agree that if you are talking about hunting and eating the animal we have a whole new debate. i am talking about taking a life for the sake of the rush . your statement of "Taz is dead on that hunting can never be compared to what Vick did, regardless of the animal involved" is odd. my only question is why is taz dead on? why can't the two be compared? what is the difference? legal standards? social norms? legally speaking murder is more serious than torture. why can someone blast a wild animal and be considered a good ol' boy and someone who trains a domesticated animal to fight is the worst of the worst?
    Posted by ctpat

The difference is (IMO) that hunting is done for food, and not intentionally cruel. What they do to these poor dogs is in my mind murder, with no regard whatsoever towards the life involved. Hunting for sport is pretty much the same as what Vick did, only (hopefully) without the "torture" element. Only this makes it a lesser "evil" (again, IMO) than the murder of the dogs. And I don't "condone" hunting, even as a means of procuring food. There are plenty of grocery stores, and unless you live in an extremely remote spot (such as Alaska), hunting is not "necessary" for survival. I simply accept the fact that it is legal for people to hunt, much like there are other things I personally am against (such as abortion) but they are "legal". In the case of the dog fighting, there is a maliciosness there which is not present in hunting for food. I believe that is the point Taz was trying to stress in his posts. As I said before, it is a touchy subject.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WoburnPaulie. Show WoburnPaulie's posts

You are 100% right sday... why football? Because that's what he was "trained" to do all his life? Well how godbamned ironic that he, a trained animal, has now forfeited his right to entertain us in the entertainment industry huh? Must feel like torture what he's going through. Darn shame. Oh well, he's now in the construction business instead of the destruction business. The former pays, and the latter he is paying for. Sweet justice!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

bub - worse is that Ive heard that they put down the dogs (that are perfectly good dogs) that don't end up being the good fighters they envisioned. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

bub - worse is that Ive heard that they put down the dogs (that are perfectly good dogs) that don't end up being the good fighters they envisioned. 
    Posted by underdogg

That is true, too. And I just thought of another difference which I overlooked before. While hunting for sport is in my mind senseless killing, the deaths incurred in dogfighting are indeed caused by greed. Those dogs who are subpar fighters are killed merely because the owners do not want to have to pay to feed and house them. So this torture and murder is committed mainly for financial gain. And in Vick's case it's worse, as in no way did he "need" the money, already having a $100 million plus contract.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctpat. Show ctpat's posts

I'm enjoying the conversation and everyone's perspective. always fun to analyze the thinking behind folk's opinions (mine included). so often community norms dictate what is outrageous and what is acceptable behavior. anyone challenging those views are usually dismissed simply because it is easier to keep one's paradigm in tact. Funny how I often i tend to hold onto a view simply because i invested a lot of time believing in it and almost feel some loyalty to the belief.

This is an interesting subject because based on what i have written you would think i would treat a sport hunter the same way i would an avid dog fighter and that is simply not the case. i could, and am, friends with people who are occasionally sport hunters and i certainly would never involve myself with anyone even remotely involved in dog fighting. I think your points, bub, are the reason why there is this disconnect between my words and actions. (the lack of specific intent to torture and the fact that one is legal and the other is not). However, i recently read a book that touched on the sport of dog fighting and its place in other cultures (the book was a fighter's heart by sam sheridan-not a great book in my opinion, but some worth while nuggets here and there), it came out before the vick news. Again, interesting the role cultural norms have in determining what acceptable behavior is. the search for absolute morality is elusive indeed!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

This is the second sportswriter to say that the Pats are a possible team for Vick. It can't come to fruition....can it? We the fans just won't let it happen, I don't care how good the wildcat O would be....no,no, NO!
    Posted by Harleyroadking111
    everyone talks about the wildcat.yes it surprised a lot of teams this past year,but i dont think a team needs to run it to compete.just learn how to read it,and defend it,and you dont have to worry about it anymore.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vladtheimpaler1. Show Vladtheimpaler1's posts

the funny thing is we have not heard the pats say they are not intreasted.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

We live in a time when companies are finding that it is good business to have a social conscience.

Corporate sponsors will withdraw local and national advertising dollars from the NFL and whatever team signs Vick.

Local TV network affiliates will see ads withdrawn when Vick is involved in a televised game.

I wouldn't be surprised if some affiliates refuse to broadcast a game Vick is involved in.  Example: Minnesota affiliate broadcasts Heidi rather than show a game between New Orleans and Carolina with Vick involved.

Animal rights groups will organize boycotts of advertisers products.

Vick's new employer may find corporate luxury suites and season tickets cancelled.

So aside from the moral issues, it's just not smart business to hire this punk.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

I got the perfect landing spot.  How about the sidewalk after a 30 story plunge.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTLadyluvsPats. Show CTLadyluvsPats's posts

ctladyluvzpats, what is your view on the larger argument concerning hunting? you clearly have strong views on the subject of vick and dog torture, does it extend beyond dogs?
    Posted by ctpat

Yes, my view does extend beyond dog fighting. I have very, very strong opinions on hunting. I have a great respect for the Native Americans in this country, and their understanding of "man's" place in the circle of life. As such, I can "live" with hunting for survival (even though it is difficult for my soul to accept). However,...so-called "sport" hunters. Oh don't even start me on that subject.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Native Americans hunted for food, but also used the entire animal (meat, skins, bones) for necessities. They also only killed what they needed so the herds would thrive. It was only when US settlers came west (after the calvary drove the natives out) that the buffalo began to decline. I'm not even a fan of hunting for food...unless maybe in Alaska where there isn't a Food Lion (or Shaws, or Lucky, or Publix, etc.) nearby to purchase meat. People with heads on their den walls make me sick. I'm like you, Laurie, I could never hurt any animal. I don't even like watching Animal Planet due to the suffering they seem to "highlight". I feed all the animals by my house, even squirrels. I love it when the deer graze through the field across the street just before dawn. I'll go to Food Lion or Piggly Wiggly when I want meat!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTLadyluvsPats. Show CTLadyluvsPats's posts

Native Americans hunted for food, but also used the entire animal (meat, skins, bones) for necessities. They also only killed what they needed so the herds would thrive. It was only when US settlers came west (after the calvary drove the natives out) that the buffalo began to decline. I'm not even a fan of hunting for food...unless maybe in Alaska where there isn't a Food Lion (or Shaws, or Lucky, or Publix, etc.) nearby to purchase meat. People with heads on their den walls make me sick. I'm like you, Laurie, I could never hurt any animal. I don't even like watching Animal Planet due to the suffering they seem to "highlight". I feed all the animals by my house, even squirrels. I love it when the deer graze through the field across the street just before dawn. I'll go to Food Lion or Piggly Wiggly when I want meat!
    Posted by bubthegrub2

That's the whole point Bub. They took what they needed and nothing more. They were respectful of ALL the creatures on this planet. Sadly, our ancestors can not claim the same. Therein lies my problem with d*ck head "sport" hunters that do "hunt" to make thier **** hard. Some macho BS. I'll tell ya what. Take away the weapons and then we'll see who is REALLY at the top of the food chain. Oh good grief...this is a whole new can of worms Bub. lol ;)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTLadyluvsPats. Show CTLadyluvsPats's posts

That's the whole point Bub. They took what they needed and nothing more. They were respectful of ALL the creatures on this planet. Sadly, our ancestors can not claim the same. Therein lies my problem with d*ck head "sport" hunters that do "hunt" to make thier **** hard. Some macho BS. I'll tell ya what. Take away the weapons and then we'll see who is REALLY at the top of the food chain. Oh good grief...this is a whole new can of worms Bub. lol ;)
    Posted by CTLadyluvsPats

P.S. Bub. We are the same way in our home. We feed the birds and the squirrels. We APPRECIATE their beauty and place in the circle of life. We would no sooner harm a creature than we would ourselves. Unfortunately, when it comes to humans it's far too evident just how destructive and self-centered our species has become. Again, human arrogance. That's why I have such a big problem with Vick. He is all that I abhor and then some. Exploitation of another species for our own entertainment....disgusting, at best.

If brain size is indicative of intelligence, would that not leave us way lower as compared to the great whales of the seas? Nuff said. Humans need to get over themselves. If we have to start with a**wipes like Vick, well, you have to start somewhere.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Those type of people don't like a fair fight. I can't see the senseless killing, though. I'd rather have a photo of the animal in the wild, running free than have a dead head on my wall! And those who do hunt just to get a woody as you suggest have probably not got much in the first place, and nowhere to put it, either!

I was trying to attach pictures of my "herd", but it won't let me do it! I've done it earlier, I don't know what is wrong with this d*** board!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

I'm not a hunter.  I never hunted.  I could not kill an animal.  I also have nothing against Hunters or Hunting.

When you bite into that Hamburger/sausage/hotdog this weekend think of the sporting chance that cow/pig/? had.

Slaughter houses are real nice places for animals to die.  That Turkey getting it's head crushed behind Sarah Palin was really enjoying the experience.  I seen the smile on it's little beak.

If your not a Vegan then STFU.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

I am not trying to be confrontational, but what is the difference in hunting animals for food or going to the grocery store and buying meat that was killed at a slaughter house? I myself have no problem with hunting as long as it is not for sport. I am not trying to be a jerk, I just don't understand your reasoning, Bub.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I'm hunter hater and I'm not afraid to say it. Here in VT it's turkey season were hunters use shotguns against birds that come right out in the open, feed from bird feeders, and stand in the fields. What really turns my stomach is hunters planting deer food aptly named rapeseed just a few yards from their deer stands....real he-men.  Laurie you mention circle of life....sounds very Wiccan which is a good thing
    Posted by Harleyroadking111

When I was much younger I had a friend with a place in upstate New York, around Ticonderoga, where he used to put a salt lick in the back yard and shoot deer from his kitchen window. I never actually saw him do this, but I can't imagine why anyone would make a story like that up. I think if you really want to consider yourself a sport hunter, you should only hunt bear  (or possibly mountain lion)  . . .

. . .  with a knife.

Cool

Out.

Sections
Shortcuts