Possible veteran WR's the Pats can sign...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tamayo2431. Show tamayo2431's posts

Possible veteran WR's the Pats can sign...

Id start out with D. Branch if he gets cut by Seattle. His contract is pretty big, hes been injured and they have a new regime coming in. All signs point to him being released. We all know how much trust Brady has in him and how much it hurt the both of them when he left the Pats. Im sure Brady would lobby for him coming back. It is imperative we get someone that Brady trusts because I dont believe Welker will play the 1st half of the season.

I wouldn't rule out D.Stallworth. Yes he had a horrible off field issue but he handled it with class and was very remorseful for it, even reaching out to the victim's family. I read somewhere that he wants out of CLE (nobody likes that rat manginA) and wants to return to NE.

Anyways, those are the two most logical choices I can think of because they have previous ties to the Pats. What do you guys think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

Re: Possible veteran WR the Pats can sign...

Branch is toast, we need youth at the WR position. Stallworth wasn't worth the money when he was here before.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Re: Possible veteran WR's the Pats can sign...

Good thread.  Branch is not toast.  He is oft injured but he's healthy now and the chemistry he has with Brady could be very good for this offense on a short money deal, while younger receivers develop.  An off season that includes the acquisition of Branch, along with a receiver in the draft, such as LaFell, Decker, Price, Williams, etc., and the development of Edelman and Tate would go a long way for this offense.

Another guy I'd love to see in New England is Malcom Floyd from San Diego.  He's a huge, physical receiver with the ability to stretch the field.  Stallworth is an interesting thought but I don't see that happening for various reasons.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tamayo2431. Show tamayo2431's posts

We have youth in J.Edelman (a keeper and possibly Welker's eventual replacement) and B.Tate (we need to see how he recovers and develops before writing him off so fast). We need a solid 2/3 WR that can play opposite Moss while Welker recovers but can be a competent 3rd when Welker returns. Part of the criteria needs to be someone Brady can trust. As we saw last year with Galloway and G.Lewis, that trust doesn't just come over one offseason.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

I wouldn't be opposed to Stallworth coming back. He was decent here and is a threat the other teams will need to watch for. If we sign him for a cheap deal it would give the receiving corps depth. We also know he can play, so in case Tate doesn't work out we'd still have a good WR.

I think Edelman will be solid, especially after a year of learning the WR position. He was the Pats player of the game in the Baltimore loss. I think he's going to be great and can fill in for Welker until he's healthy again.

I think Branch is done.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Branch is a possibility on the cheap but I would not go for him unless he came cheap.  There are several beter choices out there if your looking for veteran WR's than Stallworth. Not to mention I think the team needs to look to the draft this year late second or third round for a WR and then possibly draft another high next year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

Stallworth would be okay. He did provide a legit 3rd option. Branch could do that as well. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

We need a legit 2nd option at WR. Edelman is NOT a legit #2 option at WR in the NFL. He is a nice slot receiver, with good quickness, but can't separate the way Malcolm Floyd or Antonio Bryant (for example can). he also can't stretch the field...If Moss was Moss of 2-3 years ago, i might sing a different tune. But Randy is running out of gas, and we need depth at that position badly. I would not count on Welker for the 1st half of the year..that means day 1, we need 2 good, quality WR's in addition to Moss and Edelman on the roster. 

Branch would fill the bill at #3 for short term, we still need a #2. The wildcard is Tate. if he can have a good offseason, perhaps we are good. But we won't know this until long after the draft and FA. So, we need to move now. Tate would be gravy, and given his pedigree, he would be the #3/#4, with Edelman falling in the depth charts if we go after Branch or someone like that. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

With Welker and Moss being the top 2 recievers, I'd like to see some youth for the future.  Maybe Edelman and Tate are the guys who step into those roles in the next few years, maybe not.  A legit 3rd reciever from FA and O-lineman can make this offense the best in the NFL.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

I'd take Branch back for the right $$....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dplav. Show dplav's posts

if stallworth has been on the wagon since the accident and has been training since,he could have a good year if let back into the nfl

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"Bryant didn't have a great season last year but who can blame him, he played for the University of Tampa Bay Bucs.  He would add more leadership than Branch and I think he would be a less risky pickup for the right $"

Bryant's been a headcase most of his career.  Kind of like Braylon Edwards.  He wanted big money after his breakout yr 2 yrs ago and was ultimately franchised by TB.  He's far from a sure thing and probably won't be happy with a team friendly deal.  Can't see why you wouldn't consider him risky or why you say he would add leadership.  I strongly disagree with both those opinions.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

No more patchwork...get a real 2nd option.

I like the idea of Floyd and Stallworth.  I dont know what happened to Deion.  He has been consistently injured since he left NE.

I would like NE to draft a Big WR in april.

Edelman is good for the slot and we do not know whats up with Tate.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

i take the news of moss playing injured as a sign that he will have a great season next year. therefore, no need to hit the panic button on an old wr. i'd rather be patient with the younger wrs currently on the team. perhaps draft a wr in 4th or 5th round.

seeing branch with the seahawks, i am mixed about the idea of bringing him back to the pats. i don't think ne can still benefit from his game. imo, you would only bring him back to provide some leadership. in welker's absence, moss is the only vet in the receiving corps. we all know he's good but not a leader.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coolguy55220. Show Coolguy55220's posts

I dont get the fascination people have with Branch... He's had 1 season where hes played a full season... And now that hes 30, i dont think that is going to improve..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Can someone tell me what Im missing here? Im serious, why the hell would anyone want Branch, I wouldnt take him for a ham sandwhich. This guy is always hurt, Im not gonna waste my time looking up his putrid stats, but I think hes played 8 years and only finished a full 16 twice. And even then he was playing hurt. Im so sick of hearing about his rapport with 12, how overrated is that. Guys come to new teams every year and blow up. Seriously thats all you got, 12 trust him, they have a good relationship LOL. Granted Im not a fan, but I dont need to be. If I think a guy will help this team bring him in, I dont care if hes "bad guy" or if hes a fav of mine. None of that BS matters to me, I care about making this team better, period.Branch has had 2 DECENT seasons, emphasis on decent. What did he have 998 and 4/5 TD's, another year with, lets call it 800 and 2/3 TD's. And if my memory serves me right those werent even back to back. The guys had 2/3 OK years, this team doesnt need him. This team needs a rec. that can take pressure of 81, even when Welk was here we didnt have that. Teams are all to happy with giving up the underneath stuff all day. I think Edelman is a solid 2/3 guy and can be as good as Wes, the only thing he needs is a lil' more PT, get somemore reps and develop those same instincts that made WW great. IMHO thats what made WW, instincts, reaction, and toughness, not so much his physical gifts. Edelman has the same skill set and then some, I think hes actually quicker and faster then WW. This team needs a another guy that can put up 6, Branch has never done that and isnt beating anyone with his speed anymore. And Ill say it again, why not bring in Marshell? Amazes me, you guys want Deion F'in Branch and I love Q, but hes also injury prone. Hey Ill take him, but just think Marshell is that much better. Hes been the man on his team, theres no q's about who the number one is in Denver. I think he'd fit in beautifully here, this team has been missing the X for a long time. I dont see any problems with him and Moss, in terms of the amount of targets each get. They play different position and are two of the best at them. Can you imagine what a rec. corp with Moss/Marshell/Edelman would do? Your talking about 180-200 receptions, 24-2800yards, and 20-25TD's for the next 3-4 years while Moss is here. And if/when Moss leaves Marshell can step right in and be the true #1. We would have two guys who are both 6 4' , one weighing 210lbs and the other going 220/230lbs. Both can stretch the field, catch the ball and what you want most, get in the end zone. And Edelman would thrive playing with them, I know, who wouldnt. But he'd be getting S's and sometimes even LB's because of all the attention paid to 81/15, teams would still double Moss and Marshell to an extent. You would have the other teams 3-4 best defenders in the secondary on both, leaving half the fieldand a lessor defender on Edelman. Sometimes we ignore the obvious to much in society and I think were doing that here.   
    LOL LOL LMFAO, Deion Branch...you said Deion Branch. Id rather have Deion Warwick running crossing patterns than Deion Branch!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Seriously, Deion Branch? Im with coolguy here, what is it about him, certainly not that good of a player...at all. Your telling me we cant find someone else to haul in 7-800 yards and 3/4 TD's. A healthy Tate will give you at least 750 and 5/6 TD's. And we still have the draft and 3 numbers 2's , If we want we can target a Tate, Benn, Lafell, Williams, Decker, Shipley. Or if hes high on our board why not target Bryant, if hes around at 12-15, why not. He has everything you would want in a number one rec and true number ones are exetremly rare. IMHO theres only 7, maybe 8 in the entire league. Getting him at 12/15 would be a steal if hes a 11-1200/10TD a year guy. IMHO a true number one is someone who D's game plan around, they spend the whole week preparing and trying to contain that one guy. Thus paying extra attention to him and putting their best secondary defenders on him. A true number one will consistently give you 11/1200 yards/8-10 TD's. And also will make others better by just being on the field, taking one the best DB so others have a lessor DB. By getting a double team so others have more space to work with and dont have to worry about taking on two DB's. If we do decide to target him or if by chance he falls, we can still address the pressing issues on D. Theres no way more 2/3 projected OLB's will go in the first, Ive been waiting for teams to lay off em' and it looks like last year they started to do just that. Its crazy how many bust there have been in the first round the last 4-5 years. Taking a rec. in the first is very risky, and theres hundreds of reasons why. Ultimately Id pass unless he falls, I really like Benn, Williams, LaFell, Gilyard and Tate who looks like he has a lil' D-Jackson/Santana Moss in him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tamayo2431. Show tamayo2431's posts

First things first, we have a great #1 in Moss and we will have a great #2/3(depending how you want to call it) in Welker when he is up to full speed which should be aroung mid-season. With Edelman proving to be solid (and he will only get better) and not being able to fully judge B.Tate yet, we have a couple decent young WR's. The problem is having a guy who can be the solid #2 until Welker gets back. We don't need to sign a big name or anything. Just someone solid to hold down the fort while Welker gets back.

Also, one point not really touched upon yet was that this year, the TE had to stay to block a lot of the time. If we can improve the O-line slightly we will be able to incorporate the TE into the passing game a bit more.

I would love to say that we should and could draft a decent WR in the 2-4 rd range, but we have seen how poorly we are at drafting WR's. I wouldn't be 100% certain that if we took a WR with our first or second 2nd Rd pick, he would be a lock to be a good player. Drafting Offensive players is not a strength of our staff, except for O-linemen.