Possibly 1st openly gay NFL player!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Possibly 1st openly gay NFL player!

BREAKING: Missouri DE Michael Sam, SEC co-Defensive Player of the Year, says he is gay; could become first openly gay NFL player

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter 10m

Missouri DE Michael Sam, a projected mid-round pick, said today he's gay. Story now on ESPN2.

James Christensen @NEPatriotsDraft 3m

I admire Michael Sam's (LB/DE, Missouri) courage. I really don't care about his sexuality.

James Christensen @NEPatriotsDraft 2m

When he drops to the 4th-6th round, I'm not looking forward to the "Is the NFL Homophobic?" narrative. I just don't think he is that good.

James Christensen @NEPatriotsDraft 32m

RT @mikefreemanNFL: NFL scout texts top 5 best locker rooms for Michael Sam: Seahawks, Patriots, Green Bay, Colts, Giants.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: Possibly 1st openly gay NFL player!

On CBSsports.com he is a projected 3rd rounder but I guess Christensen thinks otherwise.

maybe the NFL does go homophobic so BB can find a steal of this guy in the mid rounds? that would be cool. get a value  pick on him.

he did win SEC D player of the year

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'll tell you, football is a different breed of people, I don't know how this guy is going to be accepted. I hope it works out for him, but I'd feel better for him if he was going into the NBA or MLB.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'll tell you, football is a different breed of people, I don't know how this guy is going to be accepted. I hope it works out for him, but I'd feel better for him if he was going into the NBA or MLB.

[/QUOTE]

completely agree there. People on here (including me) were talking about maybe bringing in Incognito for OL help, imagine that whole situation

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

I think he'll be fine. I'll be glad to finally see him get drafted so it's not a taboo anymore.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

WEll good thing hes not a center or QB that could get wierd.Just saying lol

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

completely agree there. People on here (including me) were talking about maybe bringing in Incognito for OL help, imagine that whole situation

[/QUOTE]

I kind of wonder how Incognito really is, I watched him in interviews after his suspension and I must say he handled himself very well, I was totally shocked at how nice and normal he sounds.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Anyone watch this kid play? He's pretty good...certainly no worse a talent than Cunningham was when he came out (of the draft, not the closet). I'd be surprised if this guy is still around past the 4th round, in fact I think he'd be a steal in the 4th.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[/QUOTE]

I kind of wonder how Incognito really is, I watched him in interviews after his suspension and I must say he handled himself very well, I was totally shocked at how nice and normal he sounds.

[/QUOTE]

I really feel like Incognito is just one of the dudes. but he's that d!ick. we all have that friend who is cool and we love to be around but also can be a total douccher too but we still like him. that's incognito imo. he seems fine to me just has a mouth when he plays sports, some guys are  just like that

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agreed

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

Anyone watch this kid play? He's pretty good...certainly no worse a talent than Cunningham was when he came out (of the draft, not the closet). I'd be surprised if this guy is still around past the 4th round, in fact I think he'd be a steal in the 4th.

[/QUOTE]

that's what I'm saying. websites project him to go around the 3rd. if coming out helps him fall back and he's there round 4, i would be estatic to grab him

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The only thing is he started producing his senior year. He wasn't that good the 3 years prior so it kind of leads to, is he a one hit wonder or just a late bloomer. I say 4th is right around where he should be picked.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

What team is going to want to take on this can of worms, even if they are the most gay loving team in the world? It will be a huge distraction.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

He's very good... I would even say underrated.

It would be itneresting if he gets drafted now; where he's drafted; whether he actually makes the team; whether his teammates will accept him. Too many hurdles before he sees the fiels in a reg season game.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to APpats22's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The only thing is he started producing his senior year. He wasn't that good the 3 years prior so it kind of leads to, is he a one hit wonder or just a late bloomer. I say 4th is right around where he should be picked.

[/QUOTE]

Ok, but that's not unheard of, a lot of these guys are like that. If you watch him against Florida he looks like a first round pick, in others it looks like he needs to add some pass rush moves (reminded me of Cunningham in that sense, except Cunningham was worse). He never stops hustling though and he's got very long arms...this whole thing is going to be interesting.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What team is going to want to take on this can of worms, even if they are the most gay loving team in the world? It will be a huge distraction.

[/QUOTE]

somebody has to eventually because there are gay players out there and some have NFL talent...at the end of the day if u can play and a team has that need then someone will draft u

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Why feel the need to come out and declare it? I don't understand why folks do this. Russ, can you please explain it to me? What is gained by doing so? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

somebody has to eventually because there are gay players out there and some have NFL talent...at the end of the day if u can play and a team has that need then someone will draft u

[/QUOTE]

It may take HOF caliber talent to break this barrier. Just some college kid probably won't get it done.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

maybe the NFL does go homophobic so BB can find a steal of this guy in the mid rounds? that would be cool. get a value  pick on him

I could go farther...

Maybe a team could sign a bunch of gay players and get a real home team discount on the contracts.

That team could come out with..a  more stylish high end set of NFL clothing and accessories to cater to their legions of new gay fans.

Maybe an all gay team should be created. Maybe the cheerleaders could be men...or optionally lesbian women.

hmm but what would this team be called? Any ideas?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why feel the need to come out and declare it? I don't understand why folks do this. Russ, can you please explain it to me? What is gained by doing so? 

[/QUOTE]

oh so u know what it's like to have to hide who u really are every day of ur life? To act like u don't feel the way you do, even act the opposite to fit in? To lie in bed every nite knowing ur living a lie?

yeah I didn't think so

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

Better that he comes out now rather than at some later point.  Players and management are either going to respect that or not but it's out there.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to stillgridlocked's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Better that he comes out now rather than at some later point.  Players and management are either going to respect that or not but it's out there.

[/QUOTE]

all said

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

Who cares! The only thing that may change is something like what Brian Billick did to Rodney Harrison - the smooch smooch thingy - that might be considered PC incorrect and gone viril. Would Goodall fine him for it? Maybe so. Would giving him - a DE- #69 be offensive?  Could be by many, huh? Do you turn down his wedding invitation? Do you buy his jersey? All eyes are upon you, today. This crap never ends and it's not the straights doing it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to palookaski's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Who cares! The only thing that may change is something like what Brian Billick did to Rodney Harrison - the smooch smooch thingy - that might be considered PC incorrect and gone viril. Would Goodall fine him for it? Maybe so. Would giving him - a DE- #69 be offensive?  Could be by many, huh? Do you turn down his wedding invitation? Do you buy his jersey? All eyes are upon you, today. This crap never ends and it's not the straights doing it.

[/QUOTE]

what do the straights have to gripe about? Then again white males have never had much too b*tch about but all they seem to do is b*tch

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to APpats22's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ok, but that's not unheard of, a lot of these guys are like that. If you watch him against Florida he looks like a first round pick, in others it looks like he needs to add some pass rush moves (reminded me of Cunningham in that sense, except Cunningham was worse). He never stops hustling though and he's got very long arms...this whole thing is going to be interesting.

[/QUOTE]

I'd give him a shot but I don't think he'd fit on the team. He'd be moved to LB but how will he be in coverage.