Post Draft Blues

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Re: Post Draft Blues

Maybe I'm the lost guy here, but though  I had no idea who Harmon was  I had heard of Brandon Jones and Logan Ryan as they had distinguished themselves very well while at Rutgers,Harmon played in the box and made the tackles while Jones and Ryan ballhawked. So you have to look at all aspects of the draft and UDFA's and then include FA signings along with returning players before you can evaluate the make up of the team. Last year when they drafted T.Wilson everyone lost it but what they didn't get was they may have reached for Tavon but the got Dennard for a 7th round pk! So flip the two guys and you have the proper position of The acquisition. The same thing holds true again this year, they take the unknown Harmon in the 3rd round  and pick up Jones as a UDFA reverse the two guys would you be happy? By the way Jones signed as an undrafted FA, here's a little of what his 2012 stats looked like 5 int's,9 passes defended,I don't have his tackle stats but that alone is an outstanding season. So it's not the where you are taken that counts, it's what you do with the opportunity!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

Sure no big names this year in the draft, but when in the draft was Brady taken? Maybe one of these guys drafted will surprise us all. Let's have some faith.

Go Pats!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Best comment about the Draft and grading and evaluating it, on D+C show.

"Its like a farmer who plants his seeds, then next day he grades and evaluates, the seeds he planted."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

The bottom line is that Mr know it all TP gets all upset about 1 pick that wasn't on anyone's radar. He cried for months after we drafted Tavon last year, and here we go again.

Here's a couple of reality check for you Mr know it all.... The Pats draft unknowns EVERY YEAR....get over it.

Just because most rational fans aren't crying like you doesn't mean that BB is God in our eyes. We do however know that there is not a better person in the NFL at the position to have in our corner. Apparently, year after year, you feel that your picks would have been better. Perhaps you should apply for Nick's job?

So go brush your teeth big boy, and kiss the poster of yourself good night....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

In response to Brady2Moss07's comment:

Texas pat, why not find a team who's draft you liked and root for them. It's hard not to trust in BB  given he will likely go down as the greatest coach in history. 

The likes oF Kiper, McShay, etc... Don't build teams. They grade individual players. Do you go back and see how many times draft prognosticators where wrong?

Tex

I think you need to change your focus to how a team built vs. evaluating individual players in isolation. It's is hard to resist the draft-niks and sites that promote individual evaluations but team building is quite different. The axiom, 'the whole is greater than the sum of the parts' is true and this is the key to the Pats success.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to newenglanderinexile's comment:

In response to Brady2Welker47's comment:

I will answer that question for you.

BC most of us are tired of NE and BB trading down for solid players and not going for the can't miss type of player...We are all well aware of Brady's window closing and.we would prefer going all in..quality over Quantity...I love what BB has done and I understand that BC of him the Pats have continued excellence but the Brady window is closing and we would like impact players..just an opinion ..go Pats!!!

So who are these can't miss impact players available at the very end of the first round, where the Patriots usually pick?  If the draft is such an easy matter, how come some NFL teams have never even been in a Super Bowl?   

RESPONSE:
         You may find this portion of the following article of interest:

New England Patriots – Yeah, yeah, Bill Belichick is the smartest coach who has ever lived and I am nothing but a bumbling sports writer who should bow to his greatness. … Got any other good ones, Pats fans? Look, I'm one of Belichick's biggest fans in the media and one of the few who has defended many of his moves. At the same time, I'm perplexed by some of the things he does in the draft. From drafting too many guys to moving out of the draft at key moments, Belichick oftentimes is a guy who is too smart for his own good. The Pats traded out of the No. 29 spot even though safety Matt Elam was there and Elam fits the profile (hence, Baltimore took him three spots later). The Pats, who are entering the winter of Tom Brady's glorious career, need guys who can help NOW, not in three years. Sure, the Pats picked up a couple smart-guy receivers in second-rounder Aaron Dobson and Josh Boyce, but they would have gotten Dobson anyway and could have easily gotten Boyce with a lesser trade later. In other words, they bypassed Elam for no great reason. http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--2013-nfl-draft-winners-losers--sam-bradford-fully-equipped--bill-belichick-thinking-too-hard-233525109.html

Apparently, the Pats still thought that they were hurting at safety, even after signing Adrian Wilson, and spending the 48th overall pick in last years' draft on Tavon Wilson...so much so that they spent the 91st overall pick to reach for more help at safety, in Harmon. At #29, they could have solidified the SS position by drafting the highly rated Matt Elam of Florida. Elam was eventually taken 32nd overall by the Ravens, and is projected to start for them. Is Harmon a projected starter? How many more draft choices are the Patriots going to squander on their secondary?

Lets' see now...they spent their 24th overal pick in 2007 on safety Brandon Meriweather, their 62nd overall pick in 2008 on Terrence Wheatley, their 34th and 41st overall picks on Patrick Chung and Darius Butler in 2009, their 33rd overall pick on Ras-I Dowling in 2011, their 48th overall selection on Tavon Wilson in 2012, and their 91st overall pick on Harmon this year.

The Pats used their 48th overall pick last year on Tavon Wilson, and signed free agent Adrian Wilson...yet BB still thought that he had such a problem there, that he felt inclined to reach for Harmon at #91. Cole's point is if the team felt a need to use such a high choice to reach for yet another safety...why not just solidify the position with Elam...who can step in and play immediately? WR Dobson could have been had at #59. 

What Cole doesn't consider is that Collins likely would not have lasted to pick #91. But, his point is that the Pats needed to draft impact players, since the Pats window of opportunity is closing. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to tanbass's comment:

The bottom line is that Mr know it all TP gets all upset about 1 pick that wasn't on anyone's radar. He cried for months after we drafted Tavon last year, and here we go again.

Here's a couple of reality check for you Mr know it all.... The Pats draft unknowns EVERY YEAR....get over it.

Just because most rational fans aren't crying like you doesn't mean that BB is God in our eyes. We do however know that there is not a better person in the NFL at the position to have in our corner. Apparently, year after year, you feel that your picks would have been better. Perhaps you should apply for Nick's job?

What a hopeless homer...LOL!!!     

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

Maybe I'm the lost guy here, but though  I had no idea who Harmon was  I had heard of Brandon Jones and Logan Ryan as they had distinguished themselves very well while at Rutgers,Harmon played in the box and made the tackles while Jones and Ryan ballhawked. So you have to look at all aspects of the draft and UDFA's and then include FA signings along with returning players before you can evaluate the make up of the team. Last year when they drafted T.Wilson everyone lost it...

RESPONSE: WHAT??? According to Tanass and the other homers, I thought that I was the only one who lost it...because "The rational people" understand that BB always picks unknowns, and accepts that"...LOL!!!

but what they didn't get was they may have reached for Tavon but the got Dennard for a 7th round pk! So flip the two guys and you have the proper position of The acquisition. The same thing holds true again this year, they take the unknown Harmon in the 3rd round  and pick up Jones as a UDFA reverse the two guys would you be happy?

RESPONSE: Come on, Sports...your better than that. Just because a team gets lucky in round 7 doesn't excuse a horrible reach in the earlier rounds.

By the way Jones signed as an undrafted FA, here's a little of what his 2012 stats looked like 5 int's,9 passes defended,I don't have his tackle stats but that alone is an outstanding season. So it's not the where you are taken that counts, it's what you do with the opportunity!

RESPONSE: If Jones is so great, then why didn't BB pick him at #91...and why wasn't he drafted?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Well, let's not let one curious 3rd round selection ruin it. 

To be frank I wanted NE to trade out. This was a garbage draft. I'll bet anyone a six pack that picks 16-60 will make the pro-bowl at the exact same clip. It was a long second round. 

I have disliked trading down in the past. This year I like it. 

Trade down in cr@ppier drafts ... stand pat when there is talent worth paying 1st round money. 

I never took Patterson serisouly as a 1st rounder and was amazed at the hype a couple of my friends gave him ... Tank Carradine? Is that really what we want? Investing more money into a defender who slippe because of an injury (Wheatley, Dowling, a bit?) and a guy at that who I thought was overrated to begin with? 

No one who was taken after 15 or so (Trufant maybe notwithstanding) is any better a prospect for *what NE needs* than Collins or Dobson, who are both second round talents. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

So not freaking out and crying about one questionable pick makes me a hopeless homer huh?

Billiant TP!! Simply brilliant.

Should we all buy stock in Kleenex this month since you will be crying about 1 pick for the next 2-3 months? I guess I'd rather be a homer than a whiney little school girl who didn't get his way....

Keep enjoying the misery train.....I see how we have it so bad here in NE!! Moron!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Probably just another Rusty account.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:

So not freaking out and crying about one questionable pick makes me a hopeless homer huh?

Should we all buy stock in Kleenex this month since you will be crying about 1 pick for the next 2-3 months? I guess I'd rather be a homer than a whiney little school girl who didn't get his way....

Keep enjoying the misery train.....I see how we have it so bad here in NE!! Moron!!

TP forgot more about this game than you will ever know goofy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Hardly....just very tired of all the crying & whining here.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Hardly....just very tired of all the crying & whining here.

Big deal. Some are scrutinizing a guy who has a checkered draft history. Don't squeeze out a kitten over it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Big deal. Some are scrutinizing a guy who has a checkered draft history. Don't squeeze out a kitten over it.

You mean like all you fools that are crying their eyes out over 1 questionable pick? Spare me.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

No. I think the implication is that attacking someone outright because they disagree with something NE does makes you a homer. 

You even finish it with the trite and tried "thank your stars because NE is good." It's irrelevant. I didn't agree with TP's original premise ... I explained, using logic and facts why the draft was ok. He actually accepted my position on the topic, even saying the draft was pretty good. 

Being a "homer" means running around the forum using personal attacks to stifle dissent with moves NE does from a franchise perspective. 

Let the guy have his opinion, challenge it respectfully with facts, move on.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

You mean like all you fools that are crying their eyes out over 1 questionable pick? Spare me.

I'm not crying about anything, except the mediocre team BB has managed to put around Brady since the great D players he inherited got old.

As far as this draft: who knows? I have to go with the track record without seeing something that stands out as different. And the track record is not all that hot.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

Oh, come on Z.  TPat has always come across like a pink helmet attention wh8re here.  I question if he is even from New England. He seems like a bandwagon type who looks for entertainment on this board here, simply because it gets a lot of traffic.

Same schtick and routine, as predictable as it is, every year.  I don't even read his little weekly pick em crap.

Zip it junior. You are the LAST person who should point the "predictable" finger.

And your idiotic "pink hat" accusation has become like you, nauseating.

You haven't answered my  question dumbkoff. How many times have you been banned? 20 yet?

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Oh, come on Z.  TPat has always come across like a pink helmet attention wh8re here.  I question if he is even from New England. He seems like a bandwagon type who looks for entertainment on this board here, simply because it gets a lot of traffic.

Same schtick and routine, as predictable as it is, every year.  I don't even read his little weekly pick em crap.

Zip it junior. You are the LAST person who should point the "predictable" finger.

And your idiotic "pink hat" accusation has become like you, nauseating.

You haven't answered my  question dumbkoff. How many times have you been banned? 20 yet?

Considering my banishments were never even legit, especially considering how many board rules your break here with the namecalling yourself, it doesn't matter how many times.

What matters, is that you realize you lost the elephant in the room debates.   That and you leaving the board so the real fans can have discussions in peace without you and your clique crapping on them, left and right.

Every single draft pick since 2010 here, the quality FAs he's brought in here, will be waiting to see how Brady plays in January and crossing their fingers in February.

Get over it. It's the truth and sometimes it hurts. You seem to have a problem admitting what realiy is.

Personally, I don't think they banned you upteen times because of violations. I think they just get to a point that they can't endure your stupidity any longer and need a break.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

It was an underwhelming draft at best, though it is possible to talk yourself into believing in the upside of Collins and Dobson.

Personally, I was disappointed in not getting Carredine because I thought he had the most upside of any player outside the top 15. We'll see.

It was interesting to see some of the players who were loved on this board - specifically Jesse Williams and Da'Rick Rogers fall so far.

Do I wish we could switch drafts with the 49ers - you bet I do. But we have to live with this so time to swallow it and move on.

Sections
Shortcuts