Notice: All Boston.com forums will be retired as of May 31st, 2016 and will not be archived. Thank you for your participation in this community, and we hope you continue to enjoy other content at Boston.com.

Post Draft Blues

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Re: Post Draft Blues

In response to Muzwell's comment:

In response to 42AND46's comment:

In response to Muzwell's comment:

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

You have NEVER won an argument with me here. NEVER. Not a single one. I own you. I always have. I always will. And your goofy little fake accounts can't change that.

You're starting to sound like a Taylor Swift song.

didnt know u were a fan muzz

I have daughters.

ah yes that would explain it! i am betting in the 10-15 range?

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

In response to ATJ's comment:

Quite frankly the problem is BB's incessant stubborness in refusing to defer to the unquestionably higher football intellect that is TexasPat.  I mean what is BB's problem?  He continues to squander picks on choices that the observational intelligentsia like Mel Kiper know without question will produce nothing but mediocrity on the field. 

Just makes you shake your head, doesn't it?

Yet another brilliant, well reasoned response, from a hopeless homer...LOL!!!  

If making the perfectly idiotic assertion that perhaps, just maybe, on the outside chance that Belichick knows a skosh more about evaluating football talent than you do, TP, makes me a hopeless homer then feel free to address me as HH.  Trust me, I don't monitor your every post (some of the ones I have read are quite well reasoned and well presented, by the way) but for the past two years at least you've gone off the deep end over one pick in the draft.  You claim to know with absolute certainty that both Wilson and Harmon would have been available in later rounds and therefore Belichick squandered the picks used to draft 'em.  Were anyone to challenge you to provide to this forum the insider info that you would have to have in order to make that assertion what would you be able to show us? 

As so many other 'hopeless homers' have pointed out the draft is not now nor will it ever will be an exact science, even in the early rounds.  And to be clear I'm not questioning your right to express your opinion; I'm simply challenging the unrelenting absolutism of your disagreement.  Wouldn't it make make more sense simply to wait and see what the kid does on the field before declaring him yet another BB tomato can?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

Quite frankly the problem is BB's incessant stubborness in refusing to defer to the unquestionably higher football intellect that is TexasPat.  I mean what is BB's problem?  He continues to squander picks on choices that the observational intelligentsia like Mel Kiper know without question will produce nothing but mediocrity on the field. 

Just makes you shake your head, doesn't it?

Yet another brilliant, well reasoned response, from a hopeless homer...LOL!!!  

If making the perfectly idiotic assertion that perhaps, just maybe, on the outside chance that Belichick knows a skosh more about evaluating football talent than you do, TP, makes me a hopeless homer then feel free to address me as HH.  Trust me, I don't monitor your every post (some of the ones I have read are quite well reasoned and well presented, by the way) but for the past two years at least you've gone off the deep end over one pick in the draft.  You claim to know with absolute certainty that both Wilson and Harmon would have been available in later rounds and therefore Belichick squandered the picks used to draft 'em.  Were anyone to challenge you to provide to this forum the insider info that you would have to have in order to make that assertion what would you be able to show us? 

As so many other 'hopeless homers' have pointed out the draft is not now nor will it ever will be an exact science, even in the early rounds.  And to be clear I'm not questioning your right to express your opinion; I'm simply challenging the unrelenting absolutism of your disagreement.  Wouldn't it make make more sense simply to wait and see what the kid does on the field before declaring him yet another BB tomato can?

Agreed in full here.  To the constant glass-half-empty crowd - who would you take in place of BB as GM if hiring a new GM meant that you no longer had BB as a coach?  I'd take BB the GM any day since it means BB is also the coach.  He is constantly scutinised, but I think we're all a bit spoiled and irrational in that BB is constantly held to the ridiculously high standard that BB himself set.  The Pats were minutes away from being 5 time superbowl winners - to take nothing away from the Giants who did enough to ensure that the Pats are 3-2 in the Superbowl in the BB era.  That they were in 5 Superbowls and 2(?) AFC championship games is a fact lost on a lot of people around here.    

BB has a lot power here and gets to pick and choose who he thinks fits his system.  The results have not been terrible on the field, even if I will grant you that a lot of draft capital has been used in ways that make us scratch our heads sometimes.  I guarantee you in a decade, maybe 5 years, we will be pining for the days of BB's crazy drafts and competitive teams.  Stop and smell the roses boys.     

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Spot on!!

But you are trying to reason with a whiny little cry baby that didn't get his way in the draft. His only response is calling everyone homers while he cries about one pick. It's just human nature really....some of us choose to look at the bright side, while others wimper like a 3rd grade girl that thinks life just isn't fair. Wah wah wah...I didn't get Mel's best mock pick....our team is doomed, I know more than BB, blah blah blah......

Keep enjoying the miseryTP....perhaps you could start being a Lions fan where your ranting posts would be a better fit....care for another kleenex?

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

TrollPat.  Since 2005 the guys BB has drafted have gone to a combined 3 1st team all pro teams, 5 2nd team all pro teams and 12 pro bowls.  The guys Colbert has drafted have gone to a combined 3 1st team all pro teams, 5 2nd team all pro teams and 12 pro bowls.  The guys Thompson has drafted have gone to a combined 2 1st team all pro teams, 2 2nd team all pro teams and 11 pro bowls.  If I had counted special teams guys BB would have gotten credit for Ghost and Slater both making pro bowls and all pro teams as special teamers.

You want to talk about missed picks?

Colbert swung and missed on:

Trai Essex 93rd overall

Anthony Smth 83rd overall

Willie Reid 95th overall

Matt Spaeth 77th overall

Bruce Davis 88th overall

Limas Sweed 53rd overall

Rashard Mendenhall 23rd overall

Kraig Urbik 79th overall

Curtis Brown 95th overall

Cameron Heyward 31st overall

Sean Spence 86th overall

Not to mention I've given him the benefit of the doubt on a number of guys like Ziggy Hood and Jason Worilds who have yet to show they were worthy of their draft position and had they been drafted by NE you would have declared them busts already. Or the numerous mediocre offensive lineman they've drafted over the years which has gotten Roethlisberger nearly killed.  In addition virtually none of their 2012 draft class had any impact last season.

Thompson swung and missed on:

Terence Murphy 58th overall

Darryn Colledge 47th overall

Aaron Roues 89th overall

Brandon Jackson 63rd overall

Justin Harrell 16th overall

Brian Brohm 56th overall

Patrick Lee 60th overall

Mike Neal 56th overall

Derek Sherrod 32nd overall

Alex Green 96th overall

Nick Perry 28th overall

Jerel Worthy 51st overall

Hell I could have included Bryan Bulaga 23rd overall on this list and it's not like AJ Hawk has lived up to his draft position at 5th overall.

Both of these guys are considered top personnel men in the league.  I guess they should be fired too.  How anyone with a brain can argue BB is average as a GM is beyond me.  Acquaint yourself with the facts TrollPat and then get back to me.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

TrollPat.  Since 2005 the guys BB has drafted have gone to a combined 3 1st team all pro teams, 5 2nd team all pro teams and 12 pro bowls.  The guys Colbert has drafted have gone to a combined 3 1st team all pro teams, 5 2nd team all pro teams and 12 pro bowls.  The guys Thompson has drafted have gone to a combined 2 1st team all pro teams, 2 2nd team all pro teams and 11 pro bowls.  If I had counted special teams guys BB would have gotten credit for Ghost and Slater both making pro bowls and all pro teams as special teamers.

You want to talk about missed picks?

Colbert swung and missed on:

Trai Essex 93rd overall

Anthony Smth 83rd overall

Willie Reid 95th overall

Matt Spaeth 77th overall

Bruce Davis 88th overall

Limas Sweed 53rd overall

Rashard Mendenhall 23rd overall

Kraig Urbik 79th overall

Curtis Brown 95th overall

Cameron Heyward 31st overall

Sean Spence 86th overall

Not to mention I've given him the benefit of the doubt on a number of guys like Ziggy Hood and Jason Worilds who have yet to show they were worthy of their draft position and had they been drafted by NE you would have declared them busts already. Or the numerous mediocre offensive lineman they've drafted over the years which has gotten Roethlisberger nearly killed.  In addition virtually none of their 2012 draft class had any impact last season.

Thompson swung and missed on:

Terence Murphy 58th overall

Darryn Colledge 47th overall

Aaron Roues 89th overall

Brandon Jackson 63rd overall

Justin Harrell 16th overall

Brian Brohm 56th overall

Patrick Lee 60th overall

Mike Neal 56th overall

Derek Sherrod 32nd overall

Alex Green 96th overall

Nick Perry 28th overall

Jerel Worthy 51st overall

Hell I could have included Bryan Bulaga 23rd overall on this list and it's not like AJ Hawk has lived up to his draft position at 5th overall.

Both of these guys are considered top personnel men in the league.  I guess they should be fired too.  How anyone with a brain can argue BB is average as a GM is beyond me.  Acquaint yourself with the facts TrollPat and then get back to me.

Good post pcmIV, this is just a drop in the bucket of what I was alluding to on another thread. All GM's have draft misses, bad drafts, Belichick is no differen't but for some reason he keeps drafting winners and keeps winning.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

I was a little disappointed at first, but as a week has passed, I'm feeling better and better.  We didn't get any of the "names" I'd hoped for, but does BB ever go for names?  It seems like he really went for need: (2) receivers with smarts and speed for the outside, just what we needed, (2) de or lbs with speed to cover tight ends, something we've needed for a while, and (2) dbs one of which can do the former (cover a te) and both of whom can add needed depth in an area we're improving.  And a power back (Blount).  I don't think this is sexy draft for us, but three years from now, I think people will be talking about how well we did--without too many bullets.

Sections
Shortcuts