Post Draft Blues

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Post Draft Blues

In response to BassFishingII's comment:

In response to TexasPat's comment:

One final word on the Patriots' 2013 draft: the Pats' did the right thing in trading down from pick #29. Though they could have landed a possible starter at safety or an intriguing WR prospect, they instead received four (4) draft choices, three of which were amongst the top 102 players. In a draft that was low on blue chip prospects, but deep in good, developmental type prospects, BB made the right decision.

As for BB's selections...the success of this draft hinges primarily on LB Jamie Collins. It's expected that he'll develop into a good starter by year two...and will possibly replace Rob Ninkovich next year, when Nink becomes an UFA.

Like most here, I liked the Dopson pick. The kid is a big WR, that the Pats haven't had throughout BB's reign in New England, with the exception of Randy Moss. Make no mistake...Dopson is a boom or bust type player. But, he's worth the gamble.

CB Ryan Logan at #83 was an okay choice at that spot. Though I don't see him as anything special, he should contribute, and be a solid player in the Pats' system. 

As y'all know, I hated the Harmon pick at #91. I can't understand why BB saw it as imperative to take this unheralded prospect with such a high pick. Sometimes, a coach falls in love with a player...or, in BB's case, the Rutger's program. Whatever the reason, this guy should never have been selected so early, at #91. The Pats missed a golden opportunity to invest in QBs Matt Barkley and Ryan Nassib. Whether you homers want to face it or not, Tom Brady turns 36 soon. Current back-up QB Ryan Mallett has not impressed during his preseason opportunities, and will soon be hitting free agency. Finding an eventual replacement for Brady is a must, if the Patriots hope to stay among the elite teams, over the next decade. Other good prospects available and passed on for Harmon were WR Stedman Bailey, CB Will Davis, DE/LB Alec Okafor, S Shamarko Thomas, QB Tyler Wilson, OC/OG Barrett Jones, and DT Jesse Williams. 

The Boyce pick is intriguing, because of the kid's speed. A good risk at #102, for a team that's desperate for good, young WRs.

I liked the 7th round picks of Buchanan and Beauharnais very much.

Grade: B- 

Your analysis with the logic on taking a QB in this draft absolutely horrendous.

This was the worst QB class, arguably, of my life.  Awful. I don't see any of these QBs having a career as a starter and many will never hold on to even a back up job.

Barkely is small and won't make it.  Nassib is a project.

Kind of comical you say Brady will be 36 and Mallet sits there. Mallet will be dealt before next year's draft and BB will have yet again taken a draft pick and gotten good return on it.

And, if he wants to go QB next year, he can.  The draft class has got to be better than this one.

Nassib's own head coach felt he had peaked already. Wake up.

Well that's nice, but of course then we will have to spend yet another draft pick to replace Mallett. And if by some miracle we get a second rounder for him, we then will most likely spend a fourth or fifth to replace him...so it's like we are trading a fourth and Mallett for a second...doesn't make sense or provide value when you consider Brady will then be 37 and the QB we draft will have no experience in our system...compared to Mallett's four years experience. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Zip it troll. I will partake in whatever conversations I please. And I will bludgeon your lies and insanity as I please.

This is trolling, right here, folks.^^^

Trolling at its finest. Anyone who aligns with Babe is also a troll. Period.

PS Notice how he tries to use my words and phrases to try to sound smart or gain leverage. lmao

Your typical insane view of the world. I proclaim I have the right to respond freely to what I please here, and you call that trolling. Your every word condemns you.

You have a copyright on words now dumbkoff? I use your term to mock you. Because the only one who gets bludgeoned every day here is you nutjob.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

One final word on the Patriots' 2013 draft: the Pats' did the right thing in trading down from pick #29. Though they could have landed a possible starter at safety or an intriguing WR prospect, they instead received four (4) draft choices, three of which were amongst the top 102 players. In a draft that was low on blue chip prospects, but deep in good, developmental type prospects, BB made the right decision.

As for BB's selections...the success of this draft hinges primarily on LB Jamie Collins. It's expected that he'll develop into a good starter by year two...and will possibly replace Rob Ninkovich next year, when Nink becomes an UFA.

Like most here, I liked the Dopson pick. The kid is a big WR, that the Pats haven't had throughout BB's reign in New England, with the exception of Randy Moss. Make no mistake...Dopson is a boom or bust type player. But, he's worth the gamble.

CB Ryan Logan at #83 was an okay choice at that spot. Though I don't see him as anything special, he should contribute, and be a solid player in the Pats' system. 

As y'all know, I hated the Harmon pick at #91. I can't understand why BB saw it as imperative to take this unheralded prospect with such a high pick. Sometimes, a coach falls in love with a player...or, in BB's case, the Rutger's program. Whatever the reason, this guy should never have been selected so early, at #91. The Pats missed a golden opportunity to invest in QBs Matt Barkley and Ryan Nassib. Whether you homers want to face it or not, Tom Brady turns 36 soon. Current back-up QB Ryan Mallett has not impressed during his preseason opportunities, and will soon be hitting free agency. Finding an eventual replacement for Brady is a must, if the Patriots hope to stay among the elite teams, over the next decade. Other good prospects available and passed on for Harmon were WR Stedman Bailey, CB Will Davis, DE/LB Alec Okafor, S Shamarko Thomas, QB Tyler Wilson, OC/OG Barrett Jones, and DT Jesse Williams. 

The Boyce pick is intriguing, because of the kid's speed. A good risk at #102, for a team that's desperate for good, young WRs.

I liked the 7th round picks of Buchanan and Beauharnais very much.

Grade: B- 

Your analysis with the logic on taking a QB in this draft absolutely horrendous.

This was the worst QB class, arguably, of my life.  Awful. I don't see any of these QBs having a career as a starter and many will never hold on to even a back up job.

Barkely is small and won't make it.  Nassib is a project.

Kind of comical you say Brady will be 36 and Mallet sits there. Mallet will be dealt before next year's draft and BB will have yet again taken a draft pick and gotten good return on it.

And, if he wants to go QB next year, he can.  The draft class has got to be better than this one.

Nassib's own head coach felt he had peaked already. Wake up.

Well that's nice, but of course then we will have to spend yet another draft pick to replace Mallett. And if by some miracle we get a second rounder for him, we then will most likely spend a fourth or fifth to replace him...so it's like we are trading a fourth and Mallett for a second...doesn't make sense or provide value when you consider Brady will then be 37 and the QB we draft will have no experience in our system...compared to Mallett's four years experience. 

Yeah. I'm actually all for hanging on to Mallett. Brady won't play forever, and even if he retires at 38 (let's say) then Mallett would have an Aaron Rogers-esque 4 seasons of tutelage. It's better than just getting "a guy" off the street the day Brady retires. 

I loved Mallett's potential at Arkansas, and hated LSU playing against him. Evne though he kind of had a rep as a meathead jock type, he has the prototypical qualities of a starting NFL QB of a  very high caliber. 

Either way, it's *blank* or get off the pot with developing another QB. If it's not going to be Mallett NE needs to spend a pick next draft.

Also, I don't have any problems with NE using a pick on a QB every other draft. It's the hardest roster spot to fill with quality, the NFL is a chaotic, random, and violent sport where anyone can be injured, and taking shots with 4th to 7th round picks to see if you strike gold or just to bolster yourself against calamity is a good idea. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Zip it troll. I will partake in whatever conversations I please. And I will bludgeon your lies and insanity as I please.

This is trolling, right here, folks.^^^

Trolling at its finest. Anyone who aligns with Babe is also a troll. Period.

PS Notice how he tries to use my words and phrases to try to sound smart or gain leverage. lmao

Your typical insane view of the world. I proclaim I have the right to respond freely to what I please here, and you call that trolling. Your every word condemns you.

You have a copyright on words now dumbkoff? I use your term to mock you. Because the only one who gets bludgeoned every day here is you nutjob.

No, you don't.  You think by adopting my words or phrases it will make you sound like you've regained footing.

lmao

Pink Brady underwear, today, Babe or purple?

^^^^^ Madman ranting.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Seventeen misses on top 100 picks over the past seven years is far too many.  

Truly a dreadful record there, and the deciding factor that brings his overall work as a GM into the ordinary. A reasonable man can not deny this.

Kentucky Babe...as you can tell from his rude and dogmatic posts above, and from your own dealings with him, reasoning is foreign to large mouth Bass. Therefore, he'll never admit that BB has a poor drafting history. According to large mouth, the last three BB drafts were "A+" drafts!

Time once again to dust off that splendid definition you gave in another thread of  "homerism":

"Homerism is a term that describes blind loyalty to a degree that objectivity is not possible."

LOL!!!!  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to jri37's comment: 

This doesn't even take into account last years haul.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/decade-the-making-the-ultimate-nfl-draft-grades/2419/

That CHFF piece has been thoroughly discredited here in the past.

By whom?  Simply because you don't like the facts presented in an objective and highly credible analysis doesn't equate to it being 'discredited.'  If you've got another equally credible analysis that disputes what is presented in the link let's see it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

TP, please don't insult the English language by your useage of the word 'objectivity'.  You've been repeatedly challenged to explain how you can possibly know what round a player would have been selected and you've yet to respond to that challenge other than by repeating the same speculative and highly subjective mantra:  "BB squandered that pick."

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/decade-the-making-the-ultimate-nfl-draft-grades/2419/

By whom?  Simply because you don't like the facts presented in an objective and highly credible analysis doesn't equate to it being 'discredited.'  If you've got another equally credible analysis that disputes what is presented in the link let's see it.

Why do you fashion the peice as credible in the first place? Comey is nothing more than a small time blogger. He admits a far more recognized expert than himself disagrees with him. His criteria is full of holes. Make a case that this is not so if you like.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

TP, please don't insult the English language by your useage of the word 'objectivity'.  You've been repeatedly challenged to explain how you can possibly know what round a player would have been selected and you've yet to respond to that challenge other than by repeating the same speculative and highly subjective mantra:  "BB squandered that pick."

Numerous experts have attested to the prospect that certain picks would have come much later. Do you question such estimations at every juncture, or just when they pertain to BB?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Why do you fashion the peice as credible in the first place? Comey is nothing more than a small time blogger. He admits a far more recognized expert than himself disagrees with him. His criteria is full of holes. Make a case that this is not so if you like.

Absence of a credible refutation noted.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Numerous experts have attested to the prospect that certain picks would have come much later. Do you question such estimations at every juncture, or just when they pertain to BB? 

Every juncture, regardless of which team made the pick, unless the 'expert' has direct insider information.  The Mel Kipers of the world can't possibly know what goes on in 32 war rooms across the league. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I've already pointed out the author as nobody with any high level credibility whatsoever, but that seems to mean little or nothing to you.

If you want a specific.....

His first measure is "pro bowlers". By his criteria Ed Reed, a 9 time pro-bowler and 5 time all-pro counts no more than a Brandon Meriweather.

You consider that credible?

I can provide you more if you like. But you really don't care about that, do you? You just want to embrace anything that makes BB look like the hero you have fashioned him in your mind no matter how flimsy the evidence.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Every juncture, regardless of which team made the pick, unless the 'expert' has direct insider information.  The Mel Kipers of the world can't possibly know what goes on in 32 war rooms across the league. 

The fact that you didn't answer my question is noted.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

RESPONSE: It's my opinion...and, I might add, it's the consensus opinion!! Prior to a draft, mock drafts are run by the pro teams in order to get a feel as to who will be available to their team, in each round. Last year, the excuse that the Pats used to take Tavon Wilson at #48 was that San Diego allegedly wanted him at #49. We don't know if that's true. This year, I've heard nothing about any other team being even remotely interested in Harmon! In any event, who cares whether some other team would have taken him? The Patriots, in my opinion, had better options at #91, then taking a flier on a safety, who might add depth, and contribute on special teams.   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

its funny.  Most of you guys trash me for being a colts fan and pointing out some of the fallacies of your fandom (which I have as well - and you point them out to me), but does anyone on this board trash the pats more than TexasPat who actually attempts to pose as a pats fan?

Having an honest perspective is one thing.  That's the angle most of my criticisms come from.  TP rarely (and I think that's being generous) has a positive thing to say about the pats.  That tells me his positions are less than honest on a regular basis. 

RESPONSE: Well, well, well, well...what have we here? Little puppy dog has come to play. I must confess Dog(ggggg), that I'm touched by your deep concern for our Patriot fans here, regarding my alleged negativity...whereby, according to you,  seldom is heard an encouraging word from me, on the New England Patriots.  

That aside...as we here understand, in the weeks and months leading up to the draft, misinformation and even lies are doled out by teams, to throw other teams off on certain players. Character issues are embellished, and rumors of injuries...true or not, are sometimes spread.

In this regard, I wish to congratulate you for being hired by the Indianapolis Colts as the Director of Misinformation (DIM) for the 2013 NFL Draft. Your job description was to spread lies and misinformation on certain players that the Colts were interested in. My understanding is that certain Colts fans who visit this forum took note of your years of contributions here...in which you have consistently lied and misinformed. This led them to recommend you to Colts management for that position.

Well done, my friend. If ever you need a reference to further verify these skills for next years' DIM position, I shall be happy to endorse you!

Adios, Pinocchio...LOL!!!!! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I've already pointed out the author as nobody with any high level credibility whatsoever, but that seems to mean little or nothing to you.

If you want a specific.....

His first measure is "pro bowlers". By his criteria Ed Reed, a 9 time pro-bowler and 5 time all-pro counts no more than a Brandon Meriweather.

You consider that credible?

I can provide you more if you like. But you really don't care about that, do you? You just want to embrace anything that makes BB look like the hero you have fashioned him in your mind no matter how flimsy the evidence.

You've yet to provide an objective authoritative source that refutes the coldhardfootballfacts piece and yes I do consider the author credible.  All that you've ever done with respect to this piece is repackage the same response that provides nothing but your own subjective criteria.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

RESPONSE: It's my opinion...and, I might add, it's the consensus opinion!! Prior to a draft, mock drafts are run by the pro teams in order to get a feel as to who will be available to their team, in each round. Last year, the excuse that the Pats used to take Tavon Wilson at #48 was that San Diego allegedly wanted him at #49. We don't know if that's true. This year, I've heard nothing about any other team being even remotely interested in Harmon! In any event, who cares whether some other team would have taken him? The Patriots, in my opinion, had better options at #91, then taking a flier on a safety, who might add depth, and contribute on special teams.   

Ah, so it's your opinion, got it. So you acknowledge that you don't know that Harmon could have been chosen later, got it. And you've heard nothing about any other team being interested in Harmon, got it.  And you think that there were players better suited for Belichick's system than the one Belichick chose; got it.  I guess that pretty much sums it up: Belichick didn't draft per TP's criteria therefore his second pick in the third round was 'absurd.'

Get off it, TP.  Disagree with how the Pats drafted; that's your right as a fan.  But don't even think about suggesting that you know more about how it should be done than does Belichick.  That's just plain silly.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Ah, so it's your opinion, got it. So you acknowledge that you don't know that Harmon could have been chosen later, got it.

RESPONSE: So...I take it that you fully support the Harmon pick, right? Why?

And you've heard nothing about any other team being interested in Harmon, got it.

RESPONSE: So...I understand that you understand what I said...got it. Have you heard anything to the contrary?

And you think that there were players better suited for Belichick's system than the one Belichick chose; got it.

RESPONSE: If you have bothered to read my previous posts, I've listed several players who were, in my opinion...and the opinion of every draft analyst I heard from (including Mike Reiss), and every draft publication I've read (OurLads, Kiper, and ProFootball Weekly)...that there were more talented players available, based on their body of work in college, than Harmon. Do you agree with that or disagree?

I was also of the opinion that, at #91, and with QBs Matt Barkley and Ryan Nassib available, that the Pats should have taken a flier on one of them...rather than take a low rated safety, who would likely be available much later, or go undrafted...and who would be nothing more than a reserve, and/or special teams fodder. Got it? 

I guess that pretty much sums it up: Belichick didn't draft per TP's criteria therefore his second pick in the third round was 'absurd.

RESPONSE: "In Bill We Trust". Got it.  

Get off it, TP.  Disagree with how the Pats drafted; that's your right as a fan.  But don't even think about suggesting that you know more about how it should be done than does Belichick.  That's just plain silly.

RESPONSE: Thank you, Mr. Homer. How dare I question a BB decision? That's plain silly! Got it!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Where is our hero...the Colts' fan who cares more about the feelings of Patriots' fans than they themselves do? Of course, I'm referring that well known bringer of lies and misinformation...UD6, a/k/a "The Dog(ggggg)", a/k/a Pinocchio.

LOL!!!!  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Yeah but TP, your opinion counts less than mine and I'm ok with that Harmon pick.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Seventeen misses on top 100 picks over the past seven years is far too many.  

Truly a dreadful record there, and the deciding factor that brings his overall work as a GM into the ordinary. A reasonable man can not deny this.

Kentucky Babe...as you can tell from his rude and dogmatic posts above, and from your own dealings with him, reasoning is foreign to large mouth Bass. Therefore, he'll never admit that BB has a poor drafting history. According to large mouth, the last three BB drafts were "A+" drafts!

Time once again to dust off that splendid definition you gave in another thread of  "homerism":

"Homerism is a term that describes blind loyalty to a degree that objectivity is not possible."

LOL!!!!  

Funny, that "homerism definition is the exact same definition for a "fan". More proof that you are not a fan of the Pats.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Harmon was NOT a value pick, as BB always prides himself in making.  However, a gamble with a late 3rd round pick isn't as bad as a gamble in the 1st round where BB has had a pretty strong track record.   So, there is that.

By most accounts, this draft was deep all the way through the first 3 rounds and even into the 4th round.  Many felt there was little talent separation between many 1st rounders and 3rd rounders.  The Pats had 5 selections (granted one was Harmon) in the top 102, most of any team.  So following this logic, the Pats did okay in the draft.

I admit I wasn't very knowledgeable about Collins but now that I've had time, I think he could be a very solid player and his selection, and subsequent selections, makes me think we could be returning to the 3-4.  Dobson and Boyce have real shots at becoming stars, especially with Brady throwing them the ball.  Buchannan and Beauharnais are great value picks in the 7th as they were talented enough to go in the 4-5th rounds.  BB has been very successful in the 7th round which makes up for his shortcomings in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Logan Ryan will compete for that 4th or 5th CB spot and could surplant Dowling, if Dowling has another injury.  So, I like our picks except for Harmon AND I am particularily excited about the UDFAs we got.  Typically one makes the team and contributes each year; Boldin, Fletcher, BJGE, etc.  This year we could see 3-4 UDFA make the team (PS included).  I am very high on TJ Moe, Elvis Fisher, Chris McDonald and Punter Allen could stick if he's close to Mesko for financial considerations.