Re: Post Draft Blues

In response to ATJ's comment:

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

In response to jri37's comment: 

This doesn't even take into account last years haul.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/decade-the-making-the-ultimate-nfl-draft-grades/2419/

That CHFF piece has been thoroughly discredited here in the past.

By whom?  Simply because you don't like the facts presented in an objective and highly credible analysis doesn't equate to it being 'discredited.'  If you've got another equally credible analysis that disputes what is presented in the link let's see it.

Why do you fashion the peice as credible in the first place? Comey is nothing more than a small time blogger. He admits a far more recognized expert than himself disagrees with him. His criteria is full of holes. Make a case that this is not so if you like.

Absence of a credible refutation noted.

I've already pointed out the author as nobody with any high level credibility whatsoever, but that seems to mean little or nothing to you.

If you want a specific.....

His first measure is "pro bowlers". By his criteria Ed Reed, a 9 time pro-bowler and 5 time all-pro counts no more than a Brandon Meriweather.

You consider that credible?

I can provide you more if you like. But you really don't care about that, do you? You just want to embrace anything that makes BB look like the hero you have fashioned him in your mind no matter how flimsy the evidence.

You've yet to provide an objective authoritative source that refutes the coldhardfootballfacts piece and yes I do consider the author credible.  All that you've ever done with respect to this piece is repackage the same response that provides nothing but your own subjective criteria.

Ah, no.

Pointing out that giving Reed who has provable superiority to Meriweather the same influence on his measuring stick is the epitome of objectivity.

And pointing out that the author is not in any way capable of being construed as an expert of any sort on the matter is also using objectivity.

If you want to just say things that are dead wrong and call them facts then let the reader beware.

Obviously you have no interest in a serious discussion of the merits of the piece in question but rather simply want to rubber stamp it because it suits your agenda.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

TexasPat's comment:

Seventeen misses on top 100 picks over the past seven years is far too many.  

Truly a dreadful record there, and the deciding factor that brings his overall work as a GM into the ordinary. A reasonable man can not deny this.

Funny, that "homerism definition is the exact same definition for a "fan". More proof that you are not a fan of the Pats.

Yeah, yeah...In Bill We Trust...LOL!!! Whatever, you blind homer.

Believe it or not...I was once an "In Bill We Trust" guy, two. But, after the 2006 Chad Jackson disaster, the 2008 draft, in which Bill selected an injured CB, Terrence Wheatley, and Shawn "Betty Grable" Crable...I began to somewhat question. The final straw for me came with the 2009 draft...with the Patrick Chung selection at #34...and the subsequent disasters named Brace and Butler.  I can remember catching the same heat from homers like you then, too...when I question the choice, because I didn't feel that Chung could cover. At that point, BB no longer got a pass from me. My trust in Bill was gone...regarding his ability to select talent in the draft.

Fortunately, since then, he has done better. The 2010 draft netted Gronk, McCourty, Spikes, Hernandez, and Mesko. In 2011, BB made the right choice at #17 with Solder. But, the draft was marred by the Ras-I Dowling pick at #33. In the 2012 draft, just as I was beginning to feel a bit better about Bill's judgment, he pulled the Tavon Wilson fiasco, with the 48th overall pick.

All the whines about how Harmon "fits BB's system", and is therefore somehow worthy of the 91st overall pick, is a bunch of horse dump. It's just a way of giving BB another pass. I suppose that the same "fits the system" tag also applied to Brandon Meriweather, Terrence Wheatley, Darius Butler, atrick Chung, and Ras-I Dowling selections, too.  Sorry...far too many misses.    

But, be my guest, rtuinila. If you wish to continue to worship at the "In Bill We Trust" altar...knock yourself out.

In closing, you claim that I'm not a Pats' fan because I am at times critical of BB's draft selections. Quite the contrary, I criticize Bill, and spend so much time doing so, because I am a fan...a frustrated one...who badly wants to see the Patriots win another championship.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to jri37's comment: 

This doesn't even take into account last years haul.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/decade-the-making-the-ultimate-nfl-draft-grades/2419/

That CHFF piece has been thoroughly discredited here in the past.

By whom?  Simply because you don't like the facts presented in an objective and highly credible analysis doesn't equate to it being 'discredited.'  If you've got another equally credible analysis that disputes what is presented in the link let's see it.

Why do you fashion the peice as credible in the first place? Comey is nothing more than a small time blogger. He admits a far more recognized expert than himself disagrees with him. His criteria is full of holes. Make a case that this is not so if you like.

Absence of a credible refutation noted.

I've already pointed out the author as nobody with any high level credibility whatsoever, but that seems to mean little or nothing to you.

If you want a specific.....

His first measure is "pro bowlers". By his criteria Ed Reed, a 9 time pro-bowler and 5 time all-pro counts no more than a Brandon Meriweather.

You consider that credible?

I can provide you more if you like. But you really don't care about that, do you? You just want to embrace anything that makes BB look like the hero you have fashioned him in your mind no matter how flimsy the evidence.

You've yet to provide an objective authoritative source that refutes the coldhardfootballfacts piece and yes I do consider the author credible.  All that you've ever done with respect to this piece is repackage the same response that provides nothing but your own subjective criteria.

Ah, no.

Pointing out that giving Reed who has provable superiority to Meriweather the same influence on his measuring stick is the epitome of objectivity.

And pointing out that the author is not in any way capable of being construed as an expert of any sort on the matter is also using objectivity.

If you want to just say things that are dead wrong and call them facts then let the reader beware.

Obviously you have no interest in a serious discussion of the merits of the piece in question but rather simply want to rubber stamp it because it suits your agenda.

Seriously, Babe, I'd enjoy discussing the matter with you.  I responded to your claim, made in absolute terms, that the coldhard piece had been refuted on here, by asking by whom and in what objective analysis.  And you have yet to provide that analysis.  Your responses are confined to your own opinions.  And if that's your refutation, ok; it's neither objective nor analytical but ok.  If you've got an independent link then I'm happy to look at it an respond otherwise I simply disagree that the coldhard piece has been refuted.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

TP, please don't insult the English language by your useage of the word 'objectivity'.  You've been repeatedly challenged to explain how you can possibly know what round a player would have been selected and you've yet to respond to that challenge other than by repeating the same speculative and highly subjective mantra:  "BB squandered that pick."

RESPONSE: It's my opinion...and, I might add, it's the consensus opinion!! Prior to a draft, mock drafts are run by the pro teams in order to get a feel as to who will be available to their team, in each round. Last year, the excuse that the Pats used to take Tavon Wilson at #48 was that San Diego allegedly wanted him at #49. We don't know if that's true. This year, I've heard nothing about any other team being even remotely interested in Harmon! In any event, who cares whether some other team would have taken him? The Patriots, in my opinion, had better options at #91, then taking a flier on a safety, who might add depth, and contribute on special teams.   

Ah, so it's your opinion, got it. So you acknowledge that you don't know that Harmon could have been chosen later, got it.

RESPONSE: So...I take it that you fully support the Harmon pick, right? Why?

And you've heard nothing about any other team being interested in Harmon, got it.

RESPONSE: So...I understand that you understand what I said...got it. Have you heard anything to the contrary?

And you think that there were players better suited for Belichick's system than the one Belichick chose; got it.

RESPONSE: If you have bothered to read my previous posts, I've listed several players who were, in my opinion...and the opinion of every draft analyst I heard from (including Mike Reiss), and every draft publication I've read (OurLads, Kiper, and ProFootball Weekly)...that there were more talented players available, based on their body of work in college, than Harmon. Do you agree with that or disagree?

I was also of the opinion that, at #91, and with QBs Matt Barkley and Ryan Nassib available, that the Pats should have taken a flier on one of them...rather than take a low rated safety, who would likely be available much later, or go undrafted...and who would be nothing more than a reserve, and/or special teams fodder. Got it? 

I guess that pretty much sums it up: Belichick didn't draft per TP's criteria therefore his second pick in the third round was 'absurd.

RESPONSE: "In Bill We Trust". Got it.  

Get off it, TP.  Disagree with how the Pats drafted; that's your right as a fan.  But don't even think about suggesting that you know more about how it should be done than does Belichick.  That's just plain silly.

RESPONSE: Thank you, Mr. Homer. How dare I question a BB decision? That's plain silly! Got it!! 

TP, please.  I've repeatedly said that as a fan you should feel free to challenge and question anything BB does.  But to take it to the point where you are taking the analysis of talking heads and concluding that BB squandered a pick because they must know more than him simply doesn't pass the common sense test.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

TP, please.  I've repeatedly said that as a fan you should feel free to challenge and question anything BB does.  But to take it to the point where you are taking the analysis of talking heads and concluding that BB squandered a pick because they must know more than him simply doesn't pass the common sense test.

You are wasting your time responding to this little cry baby. He clearly thinks that he knows more than BB just because he reads a bunch of draft articles by the "supposed" experts. TP would probably cry & whine if he won the lottery because someone didn't do it his way. He is a fraud fan. I actually used to like his weekly grades for the games, until I figured out a while back that this guy will NEVER be happy.....EVER. So let him fester in his little pool of misery, while the rest of us homers actually enjoy this whole process.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to BassFishingII's comment:

In response to tanbass' comment:

You are wasting your time responding to this little cry baby. He clearly thinks that he knows more than BB just because he reads a bunch of draft articles by the "supposed" experts. TP would probably cry & whine if he won the lottery because someone didn't do it his way. He is a fraud fan. I actually used to like his weekly grades for the games, until I figured out a while back that this guy will NEVER be happy.....EVER. So let him fester in his little pool of misery, while the rest of us homers actually enjoy this whole process.

Great post.

Why do you attack me, though?   Serious question. You and I seem to agree on who the trolls are and the obvious agendas, but then you attack me.  Odd.

Rusty....I think you are knowledgable on many football things...although I don't agree with everything you say...which is fine.

The one thing that pisses me off about you is the (need) to argue with the same people about the same stuff ruining many threads here. You seem to have this same "need" to win an argument no matter what it takes...name calling...whatever. It just gets old.

Who cares who wins the argument between you and Babe or Kkarp or whoever...it just doesn't matter....but for some reason, you resort to the name calling BS...and people are tired of it. Who cares who started it. State the facts you have...and move on.

For example...I call out TP on this thread because he sounds like a complete miserable whiner when it comes to a couple picks that don't go his way. He sounds like a spoiled little baby. You sound the same with some of the arguments that you get into with many here. You don't need to get into the pissing contest to get your point across....whether people agree with it or not.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

The problem with some of the people on this board is that they always have to sound like everything is so extreme.....pure black & white.

If TP had come out and said, "I really was hoping for a different pick, but let's see how this one works out"...he probably wouldn't have been called out by anyone.

He chooses to be dramatic, and make it look like the sky is falling over one pick that he didn't like.

This is football....we all will disagree on certain things. But at the end of the day, how much does all this stuff really matter? Compared to family, work, etc....football really doesn't mean squat. I never lose sleep over it...and never will. It's a sport...not a life.

Just wish others wouldn't make these arguments here seem like it's the most important thing intheir lives.....just a little perspective....

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

TexasPat's comment:

Truly a dreadful record there, and the deciding factor that brings his overall work as a GM into the ordinary. A reasonable man can not deny this.

Funny, that "homerism definition is the exact same definition for a "fan". More proof that you are not a fan of the Pats.

Believe it or not...I was once an "In Bill We Trust" guy, two.

You were. But objectivity prevailed. That's to your credit.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Great post.

Why do you attack me, though?   Serious question. You and I seem to agree on who the trolls are and the obvious agendas, but then you attack me.  Odd.

Rusty....I think you are knowledgable on many football things...although I don't agree with everything you say...which is fine.

The one thing that pisses me off about you is the (need) to argue with the same people about the same stuff ruining many threads here. You seem to have this same "need" to win an argument no matter what it takes...name calling...whatever. It just gets old.

Who cares who wins the argument between you and Babe or Kkarp or whoever...it just doesn't matter....but for some reason, you resort to the name calling BS...and people are tired of it. Who cares who started it. State the facts you have...and move on.

For example...I call out TP on this thread because he sounds like a complete miserable whiner when it comes to a couple picks that don't go his way. He sounds like a spoiled little baby. You sound the same with some of the arguments that you get into with many here. You don't need to get into the pissing contest to get your point across....whether people agree with it or not.

And what are you? Some kind of ray of forum sunshine? LMAO@U

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Who has been the better GM (or even remotely as great overall) in the cap era as a GM?

Bill Polian?

Name one GM and then back your case.

DO you realize how ridiculous you sound claiming there is a better GM out there?

Since the inherited defensive stars BB had got old he is 0 for 8 in winning SBs.

How the hell does that make him the greatest GM in the cap era?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Since the inherited defensive stars BB had got old he is 0 for 8 in winning SBs.

What? We lost 8 superbowls under BB? Geez...I must have missed a few because I only remember losing 2 under BB. ;-)

If BB isn't the best, who is? Whose better? Anyone?

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

TexasPat's comment:

Believe it or not...I was once an "In Bill We Trust" guy, two. But, after the 2006 Chad Jackson disaster, the 2008 draft, in which Bill selected an injured CB, Terrence Wheatley, and Shawn "Betty Grable" Crable...I began to somewhat question. The final straw for me came with the 2009 draft...with the Patrick Chung selection at #34...and the subsequent disasters named Brace and Butler.  I can remember catching the same heat from homers like you then, too...when I question the choice, because I didn't feel that Chung could cover. At that point, BB no longer got a pass from me. My trust in Bill was gone...regarding his ability to select talent in the draft.

Fortunately, since then, he has done better. The 2010 draft netted Gronk, McCourty, Spikes, Hernandez, and Mesko. In 2011, BB made the right choice at #17 with Solder. But, the draft was marred by the Ras-I Dowling pick at #33. In the 2012 draft, just as I was beginning to feel a bit better about Bill's judgment, he pulled the Tavon Wilson fiasco, with the 48th overall pick.

All the whines about how Harmon "fits BB's system", and is therefore somehow worthy of the 91st overall pick, is a bunch of horse dump. It's just a way of giving BB another pass. I suppose that the same "fits the system" tag also applied to Brandon Meriweather, Terrence Wheatley, Darius Butler, atrick Chung, and Ras-I Dowling selections, too.  Sorry...far too many misses.    

But, be my guest, rtuinila. If you wish to continue to worship at the "In Bill We Trust" altar...knock yourself out.

In closing, you claim that I'm not a Pats' fan because I am at times critical of BB's draft selections. Quite the contrary, I criticize Bill, and spend so much time doing so, because I am a fan...a frustrated one...who badly wants to see the Patriots win another championship.

TP,

I've been on this board for longer than I care to admit and you have never been anything but critical of the Pats. Oh, you will mention that one thing about them isn't so bad but then you will reel off 4 things that, in your opinion, are so horrible it means the Pats are doomed to cause the end of civilization as we know it. You are not a fan, you are a critic.

As for worshipping BB, I don't. I just realize he knows a lot more about the situation than anybody not name BB and with his track record being the best in the league over the last decade, I wll always give him the benefit of the doubt. I also understand that he is human, that he doesn't have the benefit of 20-20 hindsight and thus not everyone he picks will be the next probowler. I'll give him a pass when people don't work out. I also see the advantage in BB's system of not usually going for the "impact players" but I bet you don't.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

TP, please don't insult the English language by your useage of the word 'objectivity'.  You've been repeatedly challenged to explain how you can possibly know what round a player would have been selected and you've yet to respond to that challenge other than by repeating the same speculative and highly subjective mantra:  "BB squandered that pick."

RESPONSE: It's my opinion...and, I might add, it's the consensus opinion!! Prior to a draft, mock drafts are run by the pro teams in order to get a feel as to who will be available to their team, in each round. Last year, the excuse that the Pats used to take Tavon Wilson at #48 was that San Diego allegedly wanted him at #49. We don't know if that's true. This year, I've heard nothing about any other team being even remotely interested in Harmon! In any event, who cares whether some other team would have taken him? The Patriots, in my opinion, had better options at #91, then taking a flier on a safety, who might add depth, and contribute on special teams.   

Ah, so it's your opinion, got it. So you acknowledge that you don't know that Harmon could have been chosen later, got it.

RESPONSE: So...I take it that you fully support the Harmon pick, right? Why?

And you've heard nothing about any other team being interested in Harmon, got it.

RESPONSE: So...I understand that you understand what I said...got it. Have you heard anything to the contrary?

And you think that there were players better suited for Belichick's system than the one Belichick chose; got it.

RESPONSE: If you have bothered to read my previous posts, I've listed several players who were, in my opinion...and the opinion of every draft analyst I heard from (including Mike Reiss), and every draft publication I've read (OurLads, Kiper, and ProFootball Weekly)...that there were more talented players available, based on their body of work in college, than Harmon. Do you agree with that or disagree?

I was also of the opinion that, at #91, and with QBs Matt Barkley and Ryan Nassib available, that the Pats should have taken a flier on one of them...rather than take a low rated safety, who would likely be available much later, or go undrafted...and who would be nothing more than a reserve, and/or special teams fodder. Got it? 

I guess that pretty much sums it up: Belichick didn't draft per TP's criteria therefore his second pick in the third round was 'absurd.

RESPONSE: "In Bill We Trust". Got it.  

Get off it, TP.  Disagree with how the Pats drafted; that's your right as a fan.  But don't even think about suggesting that you know more about how it should be done than does Belichick.  That's just plain silly.

RESPONSE: Thank you, Mr. Homer. How dare I question a BB decision? That's plain silly! Got it!! 

Again...I don't base my opinions solely on what the so-called "talking heads" say. I base it on a combination of what I've seen, what I read, what I've heard, and common sense. Sometimes, the "talking heads" and I agree. Most of the times, we do not. The "talking heads" didn't say that BB didn't squander 17 high picks between 2006-12. I did. From what I've read lately, Mike Reiss seems to agree with me. Is he one of your "talking heads"? I find him to be pretty knowledgable, and creditable.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

I can answer this one for you, Rusty. Tanass attacked you even though he agrees with you because he's nuts...just like you.

LOL!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

This from WalterFootball.com: New England Patriots: B- Grade

Goals Entering the 2013 NFL Draft: It's odd to see the Patriots with only three picks in the first six rounds. It's a good thing then that they don't need to do much in the draft. Finding help at receiver, defensive tackle and cornerback is New England's primary goal.

2013 NFL Draft Accomplishments: The Patriots uncharacteristically had a massive shortage of picks, so they did a good job of moving out of the No. 29 pick to obtain more selections from the Vikings.

New England used those extra choices on receivers in an attempt to fill their greatest position of need. Bill Belichick took two of them in the first four rounds, Aaron Dobson and Josh Boyce. However, if recent history is any indication, both of these players will be busts. Belichick has done a terrible job of drafting receivers, so it's no surprise that he signed Emmanuel Sanders to an offer sheet a few weeks ago. That plan wasn't successful, so he had to grab a pair of rookies. It's not a good sign that both Dobson and Boyce were chosen a round earlier than their projection.

Elsewhere, the Patriots took prospects like Jamie Collins, Logan Ryan and Michael Buchanan right where they were supposed to go. However, they really reached on one of their third-rounders, Duron Harmon, a safety out of Rutgers. Harmon told the media that he was watching the NFL Draft as a fan, and he was completely shocked to hear his name called. New England could have obtained Harmon in the seventh round, so I don't know what the front office was thinking with that one.

The Patriots did an OK job overall with this class. They turned three picks in the first six rounds into five, and only one was an egregious reach.

1. New England Patriots: Duron Harmon, S, Rutgers: MILLEN NURSING RUSSELL WESTBROOK BACK TO HEALTH VIA KIELBASA Grade
      The Patriots apparently love their Rutgers defensive backs. I liked the Logan Ryan pick, but this one is pretty ridiculous. I don't know anyone who considered Duron Harmon to be a draftable prospect. New England probably could have selected him in the seventh round.

Just saying...homers.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

This from WalterFootball.com: New England Patriots: B- Grade

Goals Entering the 2013 NFL Draft: It's odd to see the Patriots with only three picks in the first six rounds. It's a good thing then that they don't need to do much in the draft. Finding help at receiver, defensive tackle and cornerback is New England's primary goal.

2013 NFL Draft Accomplishments: The Patriots uncharacteristically had a massive shortage of picks, so they did a good job of moving out of the No. 29 pick to obtain more selections from the Vikings.

New England used those extra choices on receivers in an attempt to fill their greatest position of need. Bill Belichick took two of them in the first four rounds, Aaron Dobson and Josh Boyce. However, if recent history is any indication, both of these players will be busts. Belichick has done a terrible job of drafting receivers, so it's no surprise that he signed Emmanuel Sanders to an offer sheet a few weeks ago. That plan wasn't successful, so he had to grab a pair of rookies. It's not a good sign that both Dobson and Boyce were chosen a round earlier than their projection.

Elsewhere, the Patriots took prospects like Jamie Collins, Logan Ryan and Michael Buchanan right where they were supposed to go. However, they really reached on one of their third-rounders, Duron Harmon, a safety out of Rutgers. Harmon told the media that he was watching the NFL Draft as a fan, and he was completely shocked to hear his name called. New England could have obtained Harmon in the seventh round, so I don't know what the front office was thinking with that one.

The Patriots did an OK job overall with this class. They turned three picks in the first six rounds into five, and only one was an egregious reach.

Just saying...homers.

Yeah that is a real objective analysis troll.  The section I bolded is particularly amusing.  You are just as much of a biased "anti-homer" as the people you call "homers" on this board.  And the jab about Dobson and Boyce being picked "before they should have been" is amusing given that the geniuses at WalterFootball had Nassib going 8th overall to the Bills (you know the guy that went in the 4th round).

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

According to the "BB puts hammer down" thread, the Duron Harmon selection was all BB's, and he over-ruled objections from this scouting team that Harmon could be had. 

I'm sure this stuff goes on all the time, but still it's an interesting peek at a controversial selection that actually shows whether you can fault or praise either side. 

If Harmon becomes a quality starter, BB needs some big ups. If he fails, BB has gotta own that.

It's not terribly high stakes though... a really low third is generally a low expectations selection from my standpoint. If the kid becomes a ST standout I'm really happy, considering the vasy majority of low 3rds are out of the NFL in a few seaons. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

What? We lost 8 superbowls under BB? Geez...I must have missed a few because I only remember losing 2 under BB. ;-)

If BB isn't the best, who is? Whose better? Anyone?

haha No.

Who is better? Anybody who built a team that has won a SB in the last 8 years.