Post Draft Blues

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: Post Draft Blues

In response to BassFishingII's comment:

Breweries? The better question is, why are you buying cheap beer?  Since you're in college, you get a pass.  All is forgiven.  Carry on.

Not in college, but I also guess it depends on your definition of cheap.  I think you can get pretty good craft beer at a decent price at some places.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to tanbass's comment:

In response to TexasPat's comment:

How dare I question or criticize BB. Got it...LOL!!!

Your posts aren't anywhere near "questioning" or "criticizing"....you simply continuously cry over not getting a few of (your) preferred picks.

RESPONSE: I'm crying?? LOL!!! I'm merely giving my opinion. Why don't you give us another "In Bill We Trust"...you psychotic homer??

And because the Pats haven't won 8 out of the last 10 superbowls, you feel the need to whine & cry like this team is a complete failure.....at least that's how most of your rants come across. Doom & Gloom, all the time......Yet we are all homers because we view the team in more of a positive light? I don't remember too many posts here saying this team is perfect.

RESPONSE: Wow. This is how you moan and whine when I criticize BB? I wonder how would you behave if your special someone Rusty ran off with a stranger? LOL!!! 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

4.50 a pint is about low as I see here in NC and this place is loaded with microbreweries. One of the best states in the country for that, actually.

Maybe 3.75 in rare occurrences, but on average you're looking at 5.00 or 5.50.  Also, the higher the alcohol content like a tasty Bell's Two Hearted out of Kalamazoo, MI is never going to drop under $5.00 for a pint.

My point is that if I can afford those prices surely the prolates of the world who live in Canada and fly to NE for home games can as well!

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

Yes. Mickey Loomis is an average GM. I just showed what it looks like .... the average GM swings and misses more often than not ... in the first round. That is what it is like for fans outside of NE. Polian has an amazing history as a team builder ... but his last few years were some of his worst, he was at best average over that span as the team decayed.

I'm first to be critical of the mistakes BB has made ... but he's been great at drafting recently as well. The offensive picks he has made have been amazing. He's done a great job sourcing LBer talent in the 4-3 transition. 

The second question is irrelevant.

1.) You (or someone) defined the period as the last few seasons, because it was about "anyone who has won a superbowl in the last 8 years has been better. Most of those players you named were drafted outside that span. 

2.) The question has nothing to do with drafting itself, unless by "ace-in-the-hole" you are implying you think Quarterbacks play some role in drafting for their HC. 

We are talking about drafting ... not winning. 

My response was basically what it was .... I have a huge amount of respect for what Reese has done and Colbert, and have always thought highly of Newsome. If there is a guy who has performed worse or as good as BB of the three it's Newsome, as many of the "stars" for his team were guys that were drafted before he was there, a long time ago. But he has a really strong track record. 

But Polian and Loomis over the last 8 years. I dismiss that out of hand. It's really just a joke. They can't draft a thing. Their teams are a mess. 

I can do this with team after team. Look at the Eagles, Raiders, Jets. These are all teams that are more or less "average" and over the last 8 seasons have literally drafted more first round busts than players that have "hit."

That is the reality of what mediocre is in the NFL drafting process.  

BB has had a recent poor track record of drafting WR and DB, with some mixed results on the defensive line/OLB. But he is classes above those guys.

And simply saying " a team won the SB ergo ... their GM is a better drafter over that time span" is just not right. I live in New Orleans .... Loomis is average to below average. His superbowl was this: he picked up Darren Sharper on the FA wire, and Sharper had an MVP caliber season at safety after he was supposed to be washed up. End of story. 

If Adrian Wilson does that .... you won't be saying BB suddenly became a better drafter. You'd be saying, he hit it in the vet FA pool big time. That's what happened on that one magical ride for NOLA. 

RESPONSE: You're really selling Mickey Loomis short. He tranformed the Aints to the Saints...and won a SB in the process. For openers, you're omitting his role in out-hustling the Dolphins in signing QB Drew Brees. That move alone turned the franchise around...from a joke to a repectable team. He also hired coach Sean Payton...one of the best in the game...Bountygate notwithstanding. 

Yes...there were some draft misses. But there were also the followng hits, since 2006:

1.) 2006: SS Roman Harper (43rd overall pick), OG Jahri Evans (108th overall pick), DE Rob Ninkovich (135th overall), WR Marques Colston (252nd overall); 

2.) 2007: LT Jermon Bushrod (125th overall);

3.) 2008: CB Tracy Porter (40th overall), OT Carl Nicks (164th overall);

4.) 2009: P Thomas Morstead (164th overall);

5.) 2010: CB Patrick Robinson (32nd overall); TE Jimmy Graham (95th overall);

6.) 2011: DE Cameron Jordan (24th overall);

7.) 2012: Busted out.

You have Ninkovich, Porter, and Robinson as "hits"?

Really, I live here. Those are what you call busts. 

A 2nd and 1st round corner with 15 picks in 8 seasons between them, no Pro-Bowls? By your logic, then, Patrick Chung wasn't a bust. He's got as many turnovers created as Porter in one less season, and one less than Robinson in his first three. Not to mention Robinson was actually a much higher draft selection.

And people will always love the play Porter made in the SB, but no one was sad to see him go, because he wasn't very good as a player. He was essentially an average nickel corner, but had for a high second. He now plays for another team on an average contract. 

Chung = those guys. 

And trust me, Harper is what Meriweather was in NE. He is a player that makes big plays but frustrates the bejeesus out of half the fans. Yeha, he is on ESPN but he isn't disciplined.  

And if Ninkovich, a role player for another team, isn't a bust, then neither is David Thomas for BB, who plays a good deal for New Orleans. 

Not to mention you left out 2005 where the Saints also "busted out." 

3 good offensive lineman, an awesome TE and a good WR and a solid, but over-rated safety. If I am selling Loomis short, you are selling BB waaaay short.

He's been quite a bit better than Loomis. Criminy, what the New Orleans fans would do to have something as simple as Ridley ...they've said as much watching Pats games with me, after being tortured with ridiulously high busts like Ingram and Bush, neither of whom eclipsed 602 yards for the Saints as runners.

And that is a hjuge part of the key. Loomis has had so many high selections over that span, and missed with many. The team is constantly trying to jetison useless first round contracts.  

Solder, Vollmer, Mankins, Ridley, Gronkowski, Hernandez, Jones, Dennard, DMC, Spikes, Mayo, Ghostowski, Mesko, Slater, Meriweather (+ I guess I can count Chung and Thomas as "hits" because they are more or less equivalent to players you are calling "hits" for NOLA).

Loomis hasn't been terrible, but he's been average. BB's been above what Loomis has been. So he has been above average. 

The only haul over that span that I would take over BB's haul is the Giants' and possibly Steelers. 

No, BB isn't the unquestioned greatest drafter in NFL history like some people here say. I don't even think he is the best over the last 8. I reserve that for a couple other guys who have had amazing draft runs over that period. I will personally contend that his failures drafting to the defensive side of the ball have really hindered this team, making it one dimensional. But he also isn't "average" or "terrible" as some people here say as well. 

He's one of the best in the league. If he weren't NE wouldn't be this good so consistently. 

NE has a great offense, if that doesn't work, their defense can't pick them up. But the thesis that a SB win makes a better drafter, is not true at all. 

The pure symmetry of this is amazing and it really begs a question before this season: I would love an answer to the question.

In 2009 the Saints grabbed vet FA Darren Sharper, a 34 year old 5 time Pro-bowl safety who saw limited time and diminished results in Minnesota. He exploded for 9 picks, three for TDs in the regular season. He made their mediocre defense "good enough" for one season. They haven't been remotely as good since he left. With him calling signals, they forced 9 turnovers that post-season alone, (New England has created a grand total of 7[!!!!!] since 2007 in the playoffs over three times as many games) and won three games in a row despite committing 4 turnovers themselves. Before Sharper they didn't even make the playoffs, and since he's left they've missed it once and made it twice, and basically lost games they should have won because their defense doesn't create turnovers anymore in big games (3 in three games, on the strength of 2 against the Lions). 

Along comes a 34 year old vet FA safety, with 5 Probowls, but who also saw less success and playing time in his team last season. His name is Adrian Wilson. If Adrian Wilson has a rennaissance season like Sharper did, actually gathering MVP votes, and basically dominating the backfield, and all of a sudden NE's defense has one magical season, they actually close a couple playoff games out, maybe grab 8 or 9 playoff turnovers (essentially doubling their total from the last five years combined) Superbowl Parade and all that .... would that make BB a better drafter all of a sudden?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

A 2nd and 1st round corner with 15 picks in 8 seasons between them, no Pro-Bowls? By your logic, then, Patrick Chung wasn't a bust. He's got as many turnovers created as Porter in one less season, and one less than Robinson in his first three. Not to mention Robinson was actually a much higher draft selection.

And people will always love the play Porter made in the SB, but no one was sad to see him go, because he wasn't very good as a player. He was essentially an average nickel corner, but had for a high second. He now plays for another team on an average contract. 

Chung = those guys. 

And trust me, Harper is what Meriweather was in NE. He is a player that makes big plays but frustrates the bejeesus out of half the fans. Yeha, he is on ESPN but he isn't disciplined.  

And if Ninkovich, a role player for another team, isn't a bust, then neither is David Thomas for BB, who plays a good deal for New Orleans. 

3 good offensive lineman, an awesome TE and a good WR and a solid, but over-rated safety. If I am selling Loomis short, you are selling BB waaaay short.

He's been quite a bit better than Loomis. Criminy, what the New Orleans fans would do to have something as simple as Ridley ...they've said as much watching Pats games with me, after being tortured with ridiulously high busts like Ingram and Bush, neither of whom eclipsed 602 yards for the Saints as runners.

And that is a hjuge part of the key. Loomis has had so many high selections over that span, and missed with many. The team is constantly trying to jetison useless first round contracts.  

Solder, Vollmer, Mankins, Ridley, Gronkowski, Hernandez, Jones, Dennard, DMC, Spikes, Mayo, Ghostowski, Mesko, Slater, Meriweather (+ I guess I can count Chung and Thomas as "hits" because they are more or less equivalent to players you are calling "hits" for NOLA).

Loomis hasn't been terrible, but he's been average. BB's been above what Loomis has been. So he has been above average. 

The only haul over that span that I would take over BB's haul is the Giants' and possibly Steelers. 

No, BB isn't the unquestioned greatest drafter in NFL history like some people here say. I don't even think he is the best over the last 8. I reserve that for a couple other guys who have had amazing draft runs over that period. I will personally contend that his failures drafting to the defensive side of the ball have really hindered this team, making it one dimensional. But he also isn't "average" or "terrible" as some people here say as well. 

He's one of the best in the league. If he weren't NE wouldn't be this good so consistently. 

NE has a great offense, if that doesn't work, their defense can't pick them up. But the thesis that a SB win makes a better drafter, is not true at all. 

The pure symmetry of this is amazing and it really begs a question before this season: I would love an answer to the question.

In 2009 the Saints grabbed vet FA Darren Sharper, a 34 year old 5 time Pro-bowl safety who saw limited time and diminished results in Minnesota. He exploded for 9 picks, three for TDs in the regular season. He made their mediocre defense "good enough" for one season. They haven't been remotely as good since he left. With him calling signals, they forced 9 turnovers that post-season alone, (New England has created a grand total of 7[!!!!!] since 2007 in the playoffs over three times as many games) and won three games in a row despite committing 4 turnovers themselves. Before Sharper they didn't even make the playoffs, and since he's left they've missed it once and made it twice, and basically lost games they should have won because their defense doesn't create turnovers anymore in big games (3 in three games, on the strength of 2 against the Lions). 

Along comes a 34 year old vet FA safety, with 5 Probowls, but who also saw less success and playing time in his team last season. His name is Adrian Wilson. If Adrian Wilson has a rennaissance season like Sharper did, actually gathering MVP votes, and basically dominating the backfield, and all of a sudden NE's defense has one magical season, they actually close a couple playoff games out, maybe grab 8 or 9 playoff turnovers (essentially doubling their total from the last five years combined) Superbowl Parade and all that .... would that make BB a better drafter all of a sudden?

Another brutal takedown of Tex.  A point that I don't think is made enough that you touch on is that BB is a lot more ruthless at cutting the cord on guys who he doesn't think are working.  Had guys Harper or Porter been drafted by BB they would have been cut and declared busts by guys like TP whereas guys like Chung and Meriweather would probably still be playing for that horrible D in NO.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Chung = those guys. 

Another brutal takedown of Tex.  A point that I don't think is made enough that you touch on is that BB is a lot more ruthless at cutting the cord on guys who he doesn't think are working.  Had guys Harper or Porter been drafted by BB they would have been cut and declared busts by guys like TP whereas guys like Chung and Meriweather would probably still be playing for that horrible D in NO.

Please leave me out of that. I'm not "brutally taking Tex down." I respect his opinion. the guy is one of my favorite posters on the board. 

I even agree with him, that Harmon is a questionable decision. I think he has the right to say that. Especially on the strength of reports that even BB's scouts thougt so, and concensus of draft experts. 

Harmon could have probably been had later. BB wanted him there. BB knows a ton more about the Patriots than I do. Whatever. 

Moreover, as a decades long fan, I can sympathize with the frustration over the inability of this team's scouting unit to staff their defense with enough capable players. They've had amazing success on offense, but have not shown well drafting DT, CB, S, and OLB/DE. the last few drafts look more promising, but it took a whole lot of misses to get there. 

But I have a lot of experience watching the Saints. I also reject the notion that the Saints and Colts Superbowls in the last seven years or whatever make them better drafters than BB. They have not been. Their team has more holes than N E. Terrible runners. Worse pass protection. Bad corners, safeties, DE, Lbers, DT ... their defense is a mess. And they haven't come up with the hits NE has the last few seasons to even make it very promising. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Chung = those guys. 

I DO agree that if many of the fans here were looking at Saints drafts, they would be really upset about players they consider quality for purpose of an argument. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

In response to wozzy's comment:

Again until you can answer or even acknowledge the enigma of how the greatest QB of his generation (Dan Marino) and the winningest coach of all time (Don Shula) never won a Super Bowl than this idea that QB's make great coaches or teams is complete garbage. 

I already thoroughly answered this.

As far as those names vs Brady, I left out Rodgers for a reason. Because he is Brady's only equal. The others are a notch below him.

You've not only not answered this, but in every post including this one you've ignored, dodged or deflected it repeatedly?

If all it takes is a franchise QB and great coach to win, than why didn't the greatest QB of all time  and winningest coach of all time win a single ring together?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Please leave me out of that. I'm not "brutally taking Tex down." I respect his opinion. the guy is one of my favorite posters on the board. 

I even agree with him, that Harmon is a questionable decision. I think he has the right to say that. Especially on the strength of reports that even BB's scouts thougt so, and concensus of draft experts. 

Harmon could have probably been had later. BB wanted him there. BB knows a ton more about the Patriots than I do. Whatever. 

Moreover, as a decades long fan, I can sympathize with the frustration over the inability of this team's scouting unit to staff their defense with enough capable players. They've had amazing success on offense, but have not shown well drafting DT, CB, S, and OLB/DE. the last few drafts look more promising, but it took a whole lot of misses to get there. 

But I have a lot of experience watching the Saints. I also reject the notion that the Saints and Colts Superbowls in the last seven years or whatever make them better drafters than BB. They have not been. Their team has more holes than N E. Terrible runners. Worse pass protection. Bad corners, safeties, DE, Lbers, DT ... their defense is a mess. And they haven't come up with the hits NE has the last few seasons to even make it very promising. 

There is a difference between questioning the Harmon decision and arguing that BB is a bad GM or that he would have been fired if he was not HC.  I used to be like you trying to keep the debates as civil as possible and for the most part I think I do, but I am tired of arguing with Tex about this.  I don't think he objectively evaluates the performance of other GMs in the NFL and for the most part all he does now is resort to calling people that disagree with him homers or koolaid drinkers.  I enjoy your posts and I'm not trying to get you into a flame war.  I have just found Tex to be frustrating to argue with on this topic.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Post draft blues . . . what you get after you finish your beer and realize you don't have enough money for another.

Where do you buy beer that it is so expensive?

Canada . . . 

or Gillette Stadium . . .

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

4.50 a pint is about low as I see here in NC and this place is loaded with microbreweries. One of the best states in the country for that, actually.

Maybe 3.75 in rare occurrences, but on average you're looking at 5.00 or 5.50.  Also, the higher the alcohol content like a tasty Bell's Two Hearted out of Kalamazoo, MI is never going to drop under $5.00 for a pint.

My point is that if I can afford those prices surely the prolates of the world who live in Canada and fly to NE for home games can as well!

Good point. Maybe Pro only goes into a bar with cash only, in order to curb his major drinking problem, and once he runs out, he's done.

Sort of like a self training mechanism.  hehe

A good paying job wipes away a whole bunch of blues . . . but I still remember where I came from . . .

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

RESPONSE: Wow. This is how you moan and whine when I criticize BB? I wonder how would you behave if your special someone Rusty ran off with a stranger? LOL!!! 

Notice he never even whimpers in protest when the village idiot slams the greatest player in team history.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I have a theory, impossible to prove I suspect, that certain position coaches are excellent at evaluating talent for their particular position. A Dante S on board seems to assure we practically never pick a bad lineman for example. And the Steelers seem to always find good LBs, etc. Or maybe I'm stating the obvious. What do you think of that proposition?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Again until you can answer or even acknowledge the enigma of how the greatest QB of his generation (Dan Marino) and the winningest coach of all time (Don Shula) never won a Super Bowl than this idea that QB's make great coaches or teams is complete garbage. 

I already thoroughly answered this.

As far as those names vs Brady, I left out Rodgers for a reason. Because he is Brady's only equal. The others are a notch below him.

You've not only not answered this, but in every post including this one you've ignored, dodged or deflected it repeatedly?

If all it takes is a franchise QB and great coach to win, than why didn't the greatest QB of all time  and winningest coach of all time win a single ring together?

I really don't know where you're getting that I said it takes a franchise QB and great coach to win a SB. I have repeatedly stated the current mediocre team with a great QB and great HC is NOT enough to win it unless things really fall your way.

As a matter of fact I have posted the formula on more than one occasion that....

Great QB + Stout D = Very good chance to win it all.

I am not as enamored of the great HC being a key as you are. If you have the players a solid HC can accomplish about as much as a great one in my opinion. A poor HC can dramatically reduce the effectiveness of a team though.

But I did address the Marino/Shula situation before...

As I stated, in the heyday of Marino/Shula they had to contend with Kelly/Thomas/Smith/Levy in the same division nearly every year of Marino's career. BB has no such obstacle, to say the least.

That's 3 HOFers for the Bills wozz!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Post draft blues . . . what you get after you finish your beer and realize you don't have enough money for another.

Canada . . . 

Complete socialism ain't cheap. And of course no major league venue is cheap.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I rather enjoyed the bitchslapping of TexasTroll.  Has he ever said where in New England he is from?

He keeps dodging a very simple question down there in Texas.

Just zip it goofball. You don't live here and we tolerate you.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I used to be like you trying to keep the debates as civil as possible and for the most part I think I do,

Not really. You pretty much have always sucked.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I have a theory, impossible to prove I suspect, that certain position coaches are excellent at evaluating talent for their particular position. A Dante S on board seems to assure we practically never pick a bad lineman for example. And the Steelers seem to always find good LBs, etc. Or maybe I'm stating the obvious. What do you think of that proposition?

Sure. It is impossible to prove, but BB doesn't hand research every player they draft. He doesn't have time. No GM or HC does. The other coaches and scouts give their say. The final responsibility for every selection (good or bad) is BB's because it's his team, but sure. 

I've actually posted before about what losing Mangini (may he burn in the abyss forever) might have meant. When he was here, with Crennel, NE drafted decent corners. I used to consider it a strength when they were drafting at least competent players like Hobbs, finding quality UDFA 4th corner types like Randall Gay, drafting very good corners like Asante Samuel, and coaching up WRs like Troy Brown into decent nickel guys. 

I think Daboll was the last guy to draft a competent WR. 

On most fronts, I'm NOT happy with Chad O'She and Josh Boyer. They have done terrible jobs bringing young players along in my opinion. Believing they aren't good at giving BB reliable input on their respective rosters? I could see that. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Canada . . . 

Canada isn't socialist, and while Canadians complain a lot about the cost of beer, in actuality it's not realy very expensive.  In fact a bottle of Chimay which cost me $13 in Massachusetts costs me just $6 at the LCBO. 

Now Gillette, that's pure capitalism.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to jri37's comment:

Canada . . . 

Canada isn't socialist, and while Canadians complain a lot about the cost of beer, in actuality it's not realt very expensive.  In fact a bottle of Chimay which cost me $13 in Massachusetts costs me just $6 at the LCBO. 

Now Gillette, that's pure capitalism.

Yeah at gillettes prices I am reduced to one beer in the stadium.

We had the beers of New England cart just outside our section (308) last season.  I think a cup of Magic Hat #9 was $8.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Canada . . . 

Canada isn't socialist, 

Okay, okay, communist.... sheesh.