Post Draft Blues

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Post Draft Blues

In response to BassFishingII's comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

In response to jri37's comment:

Okay, financially sound banks. 

TD = Toronto Dominion

Odd that the Bruins play in the Toronto Dominion Garden.  Hasn't helped the Leafs any though . . .

What a hockey game tonight... Playoff hockey is unbelievable

Great game despite being a Leafs fan . . . 

Why are you a Leafs fan if you are from the burbs of Boston?    The traitor antics are bothersome.

A disgrace up there this past week with that "Toronto Stonger" sign, too.

Because I never really watched hockey till I moved to Canada.  So I don't have any real loyalty to the Bruins.  Sox-Jays do leave me conflicted because I'll always love the Sox but I like the Jays too since I go to the games a lot (I work three blocks from the Rogers Centre).

Was also never a big Celtics fan.  Liked the Braves as a kid (thanks to Ernie DiGregorio) and then moved to Chicago during the Jordan years so kind of began to follow the Bulls.  Raptors, though, are dull as dirt. 

You grew up in MA and didn't watch hockey and you love football? Wow.   Very unusual, but thanks for the response.

I hate to say this, but you sort of just bandwagon to different teams, it appears. Did you like the Pats since you were a kid or did you branch off the Bears in the 90s when moved to Chicago?

Just curious. This was sort of explain your lack of perspective that some of us had in the lean Sullivan years as diehards or family having season tickets sitting on steel benches watching utter garbage on the field for most seasons.

No, football has always been my favorite sport and the Pats my favorite team going back to the Jim Plunkett era.  I've been a big Red Sox fan since the 1970s too, but swore off of them when Grady Little failed to pull Pedro in game seven of the 2003 ALCS. Since then, I've pretty much ignored baseball except when I can see it live. My father grew up in the deep south, so hockey wasn't really big in our family, though living in Canada has changed that for me.

No one in my family ever had tickets to the Pats, so I didn't go to Foxboro till I moved back to Boston from New York (lived there after Chicago) in the mid 90s and had a job so I could afford my own tickets. I was going to games regularly when Parcells was coach and, after paying way too much through Seacoast Tickets and Ace, decided to get on the waiting list for season tickets around 1998.  I've been to most home games and several away games since then.

Ok, I was just wondering.  My favorite game, arguably of my entire life for any sports, including many classic Sox or Bruins games, may have been the first home AFC title game in Foxborough in 1996.

I never heard that place so loud.  What an atmosphere.

Was that the Jax game? The fog game against Pittsburgh was a great one Too. And who will ever forget Troy Brown's catch on his back that got them to the playoffs.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

My father grew up in the deep south

Does that explain your love of hunting or has Canada done that for you too?  I seem to recall you posting about hunting in one of those just for fun off topic threads.  Do you live in Toronto?  I haven't been since I was pretty young, but it's a great city.

No, my father-in-law from Packerland got me into hunting.  I work in Toronto and live in the suburbs.  We love it here.  Great city--large with a lot happening, but very liveable.  Still love Boston and Chicago too (Rusty and I agree on Chicago).  New York's fun to visit but didn't like living there much.  Really would like to live in London sometime.  That's maybe my favourite of all cities I've been to. 

London? Wow. Reminds me a bit of NY. Lots of crowds, tough to get around and hustle and bustle. Cool history and fun, but a bit overrated in terms of liveable environment. Plus, the weather blows most of the year.

London is dirty like NY, too. Toronto is super clean as is Vancouver. Really, all of the Canadian cities are clean, apparently.

I laugh at how you've adopted the Olde English versions of a word like "favorite" too.  Favourite.

ahhaaa

Is it like going to Missouri and the people there pronounce it "Missour-ah" and if you don't, they look at you funny?

When I started working up here, the company I work for had an ad to stress we weren't just some American company that didn't know the Canadian environment.  One phrase in that ad was "and we spell colour like you do."  At that point, I figured I better get used to Canadian spelling pretty darn fast. 

I like London because (as you say) it has all the hustle and bustle of New York, but in my opinion in a much more attractive package with wider streets and with more human-scale buildings that don't all leave you feeling like you're living in a canyon with no room to breathe.  Of course I've been lucky to stay in the nicer parts of London so maybe I've got a skewed impression. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Yeah!  Great goal there!

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Yeah!  Great goal there!

Please don't troll as a Leafs fan. Terrible goal.  For some reason, the B's forgot that Reimer sucks and can't stop anything high.

You're right, I'll stay quiet on this one Smile

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Yeah!  Great goal there!

Please don't troll as a Leafs fan. Terrible goal.  For some reason, the B's forgot that Reimer sucks and can't stop anything high.

They've been shooting low or 5 hole all night which is angering me.  Then, the Bs score, on what? A high shot. WHat a shocker!

The guy goes down on every single shot. 

Bruins are turning it on now and Leafs are fading.  We'll see.  Bruins are clearly the better team, but I like the Leafs fight. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Yeah!  Great goal there!

They've been shooting low or 5 hole all night which is angering me.  Then, the Bs score, on what? A high shot. WHat a shocker!

Bruins are turning it on now and Leafs are fading.  We'll see.  Bruins are clearly the better team, but I like the Leafs fight. 

B;s were snakebit all game handling the puck and made poor shooting choices. Overall, good job by the Leafs, taking advantage of those opps.

Great game for a young team.  Still think the Bruins will win this series, but nice to see the Leafs on the way up.  

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

Okay, financially sound banks. 

TD = Toronto Dominion

Odd that the Bruins play in the Toronto Dominion Garden.  Hasn't helped the Leafs any though . . .

What a hockey game tonight... Playoff hockey is unbelievable

Great game despite being a Leafs fan . . . 

Why are you a Leafs fan if you are from the burbs of Boston?    The traitor antics are bothersome.

A disgrace up there this past week with that "Toronto Stonger" sign, too.

Because I never really watched hockey till I moved to Canada.  So I don't have any real loyalty to the Bruins.  Sox-Jays do leave me conflicted because I'll always love the Sox but I like the Jays too since I go to the games a lot (I work three blocks from the Rogers Centre).

Was also never a big Celtics fan.  Liked the Braves as a kid (thanks to Ernie DiGregorio) and then moved to Chicago during the Jordan years so kind of began to follow the Bulls.  Raptors, though, are dull as dirt. 

btw Pro never did know ur name was the official shape of a football till somewhat recently believe it or not! I never gave it much thought but still

and I saw one of those "How It's Made" shows a few months back and it was all about how they make official NFL footballs...amazing to watch, fascinating to see it done step-by-step, from raw uncut leather to the final product

that show makes making anything fascinating

lol

Leave it to you not know that. Maybe if you read books on the game, you'd know more?  See, this is what I mean. Some know more than you do, so you become intimidated, don't like being put in your place as a troll, and then lash out, trolling.

Try reading The Big Scrum: How Teddy Roosevelt Saved Football if you want to learn about the origins of the game with everything you'd ever want to know.

Superb book.

my comment to Pro was trolling? ok...

not that interested in the origins of the game to be honest-have read fairly extensively about the history of baseball and the Negro Leagues-that interests me...origins of other sports, eh-although I do have some cool old games on DVD and have done the ol' pick and choose in the other sports, mostly bio's or certain events

and knowing the actual name of the shape of a football qualifies as something I should read to find out about? That's what you consider knowing the "history" of the game? Gee I wonder how many players today or in the past, even the greats, actually know this? So I guess if Joe Montana doesn't know the exact shape of a football he needs to read more huh?

I can just see it:

Rusty: Hey Tom what's the name of the shape of a football?

Tom Brady: huh? what? get outta here kid you bother me!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Yeah!  Great goal there!

B;s were snakebit all game handling the puck and made poor shooting choices. Overall, good job by the Leafs, taking advantage of those opps.

Great game for a young team.  Still think the Bruins will win this series, but nice to see the Leafs on the way up.  

Classic Bruins.   Have a chance to win a series at home and make it tough on themselves.

Of course, they still have a chance to win the series at home . . . if they do the Leafs a favour and lose Sunday . . . 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Yeah!  Great goal there!

Classic Bruins.   Have a chance to win a series at home and make it tough on themselves.

Of course, they still have a chance to win the series at home . . . if they do the Leafs a favour and lose Sunday . . . 

watching rangers-caps as we type...caps can fly, blue shirts would be down 4 or 5 -1 if not for lundqvist

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

They will wrap it up on the road , would have been nice tonight but I think they play even better on the road.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Yeah!  Great goal there!

No "favours". I want them to bury it on Sunday night. Of course, I will be out Sunday night at a concert, so it's probably a good thing I'll miss it.

Have fun.  Who you hearing?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Yeah!  Great goal there!

No "favours". I want them to bury it on Sunday night. Of course, I will be out Sunday night at a concert, so it's probably a good thing I'll miss it.

New Kids On The Block Reunion?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Yeah!  Great goal there!

You know I used to live across the street from Joey McIntyre's parents and sister in Jamaica Plain?  Nice people.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Yeah!  Great goal there!

You know I used to live across the street from Joey McIntyre's parents and sister in Jamaica Plain?  Nice people.  

caps-rangers OT...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Yeah!  Great goal there!

caps-rangers OT...

Kings-Blues are on here.  time for bed I guessLaughing

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

In response to TexasPat's comment:

In response to rtuinila's comment:

Folks...most of you are excited that the Pats took WR Aaron Dobson at #59. But, was he the right choice for this team? As we all know, the Patriots need a deep threat WR who can stretch the field...forcing those safeties to play honest...away from the line of scrimmage. Is Dobson really the answer? Most draft publications peg him as an intermediate route runner, who is quicker rather than fast...has small hands, and has problems getting separation on vertical routes. 

On the other hand, there's Markus Wheaton, who was drafted by the Steelers, 20 spots lower, at #79. Though a couple of inches shorter than Dobson, Wheaton has the deep play, deep strike ability that the Pats have lacked since Randy Moss began to slow, and fade.

Lets hope that this isn't a Brandon Tate/Mike Wallace rehash.  

Forget the comparisons of Tate/Wallace.

If the Pat's offense philosophy was to throw the ball deep down filed and they were reliant on the WR's to outrun the D after the QB broke the pocket and scrambled until someone broke open then yes it would be a good criticism.

Since they run a precision passing offense that calls for good route runners  and sure handed recievers I for one feel pretty good about the pick.

Hope you're right. But, I don't see it. Dobson ran a limited tree route in college...and was hurt for much of his senior year. Wheaton, in addition to being a speed merchant, is also a good route runnerhurt . It appears he would have been the better choice.

Abviously you don't understand physics any more than you know football. BB was looking for non-smurf receivers. A non-smurf receiver can learn a new route tree. A smurf receiver can't learn tall!!!

Quickness and blazing speed can't be coached, either. 

Actually that is a fallacy, blazing speed can be coached/trained, just look at the combine every year.  I also have two relatives that have been very good track coaches and they say if someone hasn't been taught to run properly they can make them considrably faster. Quickness is also affected by strength to some degree so that can be trained too. Height on the other hand cannot be trained.

RESPONSE: LOL!!! Yeah, right. That's why the Miami Dolphins paid Mike Wallace what they paid him. If speed can be so easily coached, why didn't the Dolphins simply manufacture their own Mike Wallace? Why hasn't BB done the same?      

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Yeah!  Great goal there!

Have fun.  Who you hearing?

Ryan Bingham. 

Think Bob Dylan meets Willie Nelson and Steve Earle with a bit of Texas country rock as the backdrop.  Now that I think of it, it sounds really nothing like them, which is why this is a no brainer artist/band to follow and see live.     Saw him and the Dead Horses (his original backing band) in bar for $5 at Schubas in Chicago (ever go there? Corner of Southport and Belmont near where I lived). 

Couldn't believe it.   We thought we had stumbled across the next legend.   He may not be a legend, but killer voice, songwriter and he just gets it.   It was a Sunday night in August in 2007, the band and us were at the bar pre show drinking whiskey. Just good folk, too.  No crap, legit people and musicians. Incredible songwriter.  Genius, really.

No one knows who he is and it's the best $20 on the live touring circuit right now next to Mofro.

Years later, he wins an Oscar for a movie soundtrack piece and refuses to sell out to that Nashville crap and never will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o181GOT8Vg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWD7hyOoRC8

WHAT DO YOU MEAN HE "GETS IT"? sounds like snobby bs

what is there to get and who are u to judge anyway?

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts