Post Draft Blues

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: Post Draft Blues

In response to jri37's comment:

In response to TexasPat's comment:

Folks...most of you are excited that the Pats took WR Aaron Dobson at #59. But, was he the right choice for this team? As we all know, the Patriots need a deep threat WR who can stretch the field...forcing those safeties to play honest...away from the line of scrimmage. Is Dobson really the answer? Most draft publications peg him as an intermediate route runner, who is quicker rather than fast...has small hands, and has problems getting separation on vertical routes. 

On the other hand, there's Markus Wheaton, who was drafted by the Steelers, 20 spots lower, at #79. Though a couple of inches shorter than Dobson, Wheaton has the deep play, deep strike ability that the Pats have lacked since Randy Moss began to slow, and fade.

Lets hope that this isn't a Brandon Tate/Mike Wallace rehash.  

Forget the comparisons of Tate/Wallace.

If the Pat's offense philosophy was to throw the ball deep down filed and they were reliant on the WR's to outrun the D after the QB broke the pocket and scrambled until someone broke open then yes it would be a good criticism.

Since they run a precision passing offense that calls for good route runners  and sure handed recievers I for one feel pretty good about the pick.

Hope you're right. But, I don't see it. Dobson ran a limited tree route in college...and was hurt for much of his senior year. Wheaton, in addition to being a speed merchant, is also a good route runnerhurt . It appears he would have been the better choice.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Folks...most of you are excited that the Pats took WR Aaron Dobson at #59. But, was he the right choice for this team? As we all know, the Patriots need a deep threat WR who can stretch the field...forcing those safeties to play honest...away from the line of scrimmage. Is Dobson really the answer? Most draft publications peg him as an intermediate route runner, who is quicker rather than fast...has small hands, and has problems getting separation on vertical routes. 

On the other hand, there's Markus Wheaton, who was drafted by the Steelers, 20 spots lower, at #79. Though a couple of inches shorter than Dobson, Wheaton has the deep play, deep strike ability that the Pats have lacked since Randy Moss began to slow, and fade.

"Most draft publications . . . " 

Nuff said.  

At this point we just need to see what these guys do on the field, then judge.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

If the Pat's offense philosophy was to throw the ball deep down filed and they were reliant on the WR's to outrun the D after the QB broke the pocket and scrambled until someone broke open then yes it would be a good criticism.

Since they run a precision passing offense that calls for good route runners  and sure handed recievers I for one feel pretty good about the pick.

Hope you're right. But, I don't see it. Dobson ran a limited tree route in college...and was hurt for much of his senior year. Wheaton, in addition to being a speed merchant, is also a good route runnerhurt . It appears he would have been the better choice.

Abviously you don't understand physics any more than you know football. BB was looking for non-smurf receivers. A non-smurf receiver can learn a new route tree. A smurf receiver can't learn tall!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Don't even pretend you have the knowledge and expertise to really judge.  You're just making inferences from "draft publications" many of them written by people who have pretty limited expertise themselves.

Two problems you face in making any meaningful assessment:

First, you're not a scout with detailed knowledge of the different players' skills.  You're completely reliant on the Mel Kipers of the world.

Second, you have no idea what BB and McDaniels are thinking of doing with the offense next year.  Yes, stretching the field vertically is good, but that can be accomplished in many ways, and intermediate routes can be effective too as long as they force safeties and LBs to drop back deeper.  Plus Dobson has 4.40 speed (not much different than Wheaton's) and "most draft publications" think he has more reliable hands than Wheaton plus better lower body strength to compete for the ball against physical defenders.  Besides Boyce is the speed guy, faster than Wheaton.  Maybe Wheaton was on the Pats radar too and would have been picked over Boyce had he still been available, but between Dobson and Boyce the Pats have a good pair of prospects roughly equivalent to Wheaton.  Now it's time to see who excels on the field.  Trying to judge who's better now based on what Mel Kiper and friends said is just a bunch of mental masturbation.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

There ya go.  Somehow, and I could be wrong here, I don't think Belichick relies too heavily on them, as unimpeachably accurate as they unfailing are.  

But what do I know?  I'm nothing more than an HH.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to BassFishingII's comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Okay, financially sound banks. 

TD = Toronto Dominion

Odd that the Bruins play in the Toronto Dominion Garden.  Hasn't helped the Leafs any though . . .

What a hockey game tonight... Playoff hockey is unbelievable

Great game despite being a Leafs fan . . . 

Why are you a Leafs fan if you are from the burbs of Boston?    The traitor antics are bothersome.

A disgrace up there this past week with that "Toronto Stonger" sign, too.

Because I never really watched hockey till I moved to Canada.  So I don't have any real loyalty to the Bruins.  Sox-Jays do leave me conflicted because I'll always love the Sox but I like the Jays too since I go to the games a lot (I work three blocks from the Rogers Centre).

Was also never a big Celtics fan.  Liked the Braves as a kid (thanks to Ernie DiGregorio) and then moved to Chicago during the Jordan years so kind of began to follow the Bulls.  Raptors, though, are dull as dirt. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

TD = Toronto Dominion

Odd that the Bruins play in the Toronto Dominion Garden.  Hasn't helped the Leafs any though . . .

Why are you a Leafs fan if you are from the burbs of Boston?    The traitor antics are bothersome.

Because I never really watched hockey till I moved to Canada.  So I don't have any real loyalty to the Bruins.  Sox-Jays do leave me conflicted because I'll always love the Sox but I like the Jays too since I go to the games a lot (I work three blocks from the Rogers Centre).

Was also never a big Celtics fan.  Liked the Braves as a kid (thanks to Ernie DiGregorio) and then moved to Chicago during the Jordan years so kind of began to follow the Bulls.  Raptors, though, are dull as dirt. 

btw Pro never did know ur name was the official shape of a football till somewhat recently believe it or not! I never gave it much thought but still

and I saw one of those "How It's Made" shows a few months back and it was all about how they make official NFL footballs...amazing to watch, fascinating to see it done step-by-step, from raw uncut leather to the final product

that show makes making anything fascinating

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Why does everyone think Blount was bought in for short yardage?  Brady is the short yardage back when u need 2 yards or less. Have any of you seen Blount play?? He has the size of a short yardage back, but has a knack for breaking outside and would rather hurdle a defender than run him over so I dont know about that. I would still say that is Ridleys or Boldens role. Blount is just a guy that maybe wont put it on the floor when hit by a safety but odds are he is cut anyway...Just keeping it real. Dont mean to burst any bubbles. he was undrafted for a reason, had a nice rookie campain and has gotten worse every year since.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

The only miseryville around here is suffering the inane blatherings of goofs like you and Rusty.

But yet you left, only to come back for more....If life is so rough for you here in the forum, I'm pretty sure most of us wouldn't be too offended if you decide to leave AGAIN.....you fraud.

I'll come and go as I please, and announce it or not as I please, and take a healthy dump on your opinion about that as I please.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

TD = Toronto Dominion

btw Pro never did know ur name was the official shape of a football till somewhat recently believe it or not! I never gave it much thought but still

and I saw one of those "How It's Made" shows a few months back and it was all about how they make official NFL footballs...amazing to watch, fascinating to see it done step-by-step, from raw uncut leather to the final product

that show makes making anything fascinating

somehow "prolate spheroid" seemed better than "inflated urethane bladder."  But the latter might work for some other posters . . . Surprised

The ball shall be made up of an inflated (12 1/2 to 13 1/2 pounds) urethane bladder enclosed in a pebble grained, leather case (natural tan color) without corrugations of any kind. It shall have the form of a prolate spheroid and the size and weight shall be: long axis, 11 to 11 1/4 inches; long circumference, 28 to 28 1/2 inches; short circumference, 21 to 21 1/4 inches; weight, 14 to 15 ounces. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

Abviously you don't understand physics any more than you know football. BB was looking for non-smurf receivers. A non-smurf receiver can learn a new route tree. A smurf receiver can't learn tall!!!

Quickness and blazing speed can't be coached, either. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

There ya go.  Somehow, and I could be wrong here, I don't think Belichick relies too heavily on them, as unimpeachably accurate as they unfailing are.

RESPONSE: Apparently, he doesn't rely too heavily on his own scouting department, either.

But what do I know?  I'm nothing more than an HH.

RESPONSE: At last we agree...LOL!!!

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

TD = Toronto Dominion

You grew up in MA and didn't watch hockey and you love football? Wow.   Very unusual, but thanks for the response.

I hate to say this, but you sort of just bandwagon to different teams, it appears. Did you like the Pats since you were a kid or did you branch off the Bears in the 90s when moved to Chicago?

Just curious. This was sort of explain your lack of perspective that some of us had in the lean Sullivan years as diehards or family having season tickets sitting on steel benches watching utter garbage on the field for most seasons.

No, football has always been my favorite sport and the Pats my favorite team going back to the Jim Plunkett era.  I've been a big Red Sox fan since the 1970s too, but swore off of them when Grady Little failed to pull Pedro in game seven of the 2003 ALCS. Since then, I've pretty much ignored baseball except when I can see it live. My father grew up in the deep south, so hockey wasn't really big in our family, though living in Canada has changed that for me.

No one in my family ever had tickets to the Pats, so I didn't go to Foxboro till I moved back to Boston from New York (lived there after Chicago) in the mid 90s and had a job so I could afford my own tickets. I was going to games regularly when Parcells was coach and, after paying way too much through Seacoast Tickets and Ace, decided to get on the waiting list for season tickets around 1998.  I've been to most home games and several away games since then.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

My father grew up in the deep south

Does that explain your love of hunting or has Canada done that for you too?  I seem to recall you posting about hunting in one of those just for fun off topic threads.  Do you live in Toronto?  I haven't been since I was pretty young, but it's a great city.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:

The only miseryville around here is suffering the inane blatherings of goofs like you and Rusty.

But yet you left, only to come back for more....If life is so rough for you here in the forum, I'm pretty sure most of us wouldn't be too offended if you decide to leave AGAIN.....you fraud.

I'll come and go as I please, and announce it or not as I please, and take a healthy dump on your opinion about that as I please.

No. We'd like you to take your diapers and leave. You are smelly.

The mods have forced you to leave 20+ times, but like a bad penny....

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

Quickness and blazing speed can't be coached, either. 

Actually that is a fallacy, blazing speed can be coached/trained, just look at the combine every year.  I also have two relatives that have been very good track coaches and they say if someone hasn't been taught to run properly they can make them considrably faster. Quickness is also affected by strength to some degree so that can be trained too. Height on the other hand cannot be trained.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

My father grew up in the deep south

Does that explain your love of hunting or has Canada done that for you too?  I seem to recall you posting about hunting in one of those just for fun off topic threads.  Do you live in Toronto?  I haven't been since I was pretty young, but it's a great city.

No, my father-in-law from Packerland got me into hunting.  I work in Toronto and live in the suburbs.  We love it here.  Great city--large with a lot happening, but very liveable.  Still love Boston and Chicago too (Rusty and I agree on Chicago).  New York's fun to visit but didn't like living there much.  Really would like to live in London sometime.  That's maybe my favourite of all cities I've been to. 

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts