Post Draft Blues

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Post Draft Blues

In response to 42AND46's comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

In response to TexasPat's comment:

The Pats will regret passing up an opportunity to take QB Matt Barkley, Ryan Nassib, or Tyler Wilson at #91...instead of reaching for Duron Harmon: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-05-08/matt-barkley-eagles-michael-vick-chip-kelly-russell-wilson-seahawks-usc

You were doing the same thing with Tavon Wilson last year.  Go back and look at the next 30 or so picks made after Wilson last year.  Maybe six of them are arguably better picks: Russell Wilson, Zach Brown, Lavonte David, Kelechi Osemele, Dwayne Allen, and Casey Hayward. The rest were probably not as good as Tavon or about equal to him. That tells you that Belichick was picking appropriately at that spot regardless of what Mel Kiper and Kiper's TexParrot thought . . .

nice win for your leafs today pro! here's hoping for a game 7 upset

Thanks.  We'll see.  I thought the Bruins were the better team going into this series, but I'm starting to think the Leafs are better than I thought.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

The Pats will regret passing up an opportunity to take QB Matt Barkley, Ryan Nassib, or Tyler Wilson at #91...instead of reaching for Duron Harmon: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-05-08/matt-barkley-eagles-michael-vick-chip-kelly-russell-wilson-seahawks-usc

You were doing the same thing with Tavon Wilson last year.  Go back and look at the next 30 or so picks made after Wilson last year.  Maybe six of them are arguably better picks: Russell Wilson, Zach Brown, Lavonte David, Kelechi Osemele, Dwayne Allen, and Casey Hayward.

RESPONSE: These above listed picks named were "arguably" better than Tavon Wilson? Arguably better?? Spare me. Can't we just say they were far better than Wilson...and you just listed 6 guys off the top of your head.

The rest were probably not as good as Tavon or about equal to him. That tells you that Belichick was picking appropriately at that spot regardless of what Mel Kiper and Kiper's TexParrot thought . . .

RESPONSE: When will you idiot homers realize that I don't usually adhere to whatever Kiper says. My opinions are my own. He and I just occasionally agree. I'll get into this with you about the Wilson pick and the ridiculous Harmon pick in far greater detail later. But, work beckons.

RESPONSE: Please take the hockey talk elsewhere. But, while we're on the subject...even if the Bruins win thi series gainst the Leafs, they're going nowhere. The Bs can't score. They made that ridiculous trade to obtain the 59 year old Jagr...for two prospects and a conditional second round pick (sorry...was wrong about saying that he was traded for a first rounder: (http://espn.go.com/boston/nhl/story/_/id/9124995/dallas-stars-trade-jaromir-jagr-boston-bruins-source-says). The guy is worthless...as most 59 year old hockey players are. Boston could have and should have disposed of the Leafs in 5. They are one big time scorer away from being a serious Stanley Cup contender.

Now please...take this hockey talk to where it belongs...the Bruins' forum.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

You were doing the same thing with Tavon Wilson last year.  Go back and look at the next 30 or so picks made after Wilson last year.  Maybe six of them are arguably better picks: Russell Wilson, Zach Brown, Lavonte David, Kelechi Osemele, Dwayne Allen, and Casey Hayward.

RESPONSE: These above listed picks named were "arguably" better than Tavon Wilson? Arguably better?? Spare me. Can't we just say they were far better than Wilson...and you just listed 6 guys off the top of your head.

The rest were probably not as good as Tavon or about equal to him. That tells you that Belichick was picking appropriately at that spot regardless of what Mel Kiper and Kiper's TexParrot thought . . .

RESPONSE: When will you idiot homers realize that I don't usually adhere to whatever Kiper says. My opinions are my own. He and I just occasionally agree. I'll get into this with you about the Wilson pick and the ridiculous Harmon pick in far greater detail later. But, work beckons.

Six were all I could find who seemed clearly better (and I looked at the next 35 or so) and some of those (QB, TE) would not be priority picks for the Pats.  Plus talent evaluation isn't an exact science so all you can hope for is to get a guy who contributes at about the same level as what others available when he was picked contributed.  By that standard the Wilson pick seems so far to have been a good one.  He's done better than any of the other safeties who were available when he was picked and is certainly among the top quarter of those picked later in his round and at the top of the next round.  That's pretty reasonable value.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

RESPONSE: Please take the hockey talk elsewhere. But, while we're on the subject...even if the Bruins win thi series gainst the Leafs, they're going nowhere. The Bs can't score. They made that ridiculous trade o obtain the 59 year old Jagr...for whom I believe they parted with a future first round pick. The guy is worthless...as most 59 year old hockey players are. Boston could have and should have disposed of the Leafs in 5. They are one big time scorer away from being a serious Stanley Cup contender.

Hey Tex...dont into Rusty man...a little back and forth re: hockey is not a mortal sin ok? it's may off season hockey playoffs and a few comments mixed in on any forum-because after all we are all SPORTS fans-is no big deal so lighten up ok?

i expect that self-important crap from Queenie-not you

and I believe Jagr is only 58

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to jri37's comment:

RESPONSE: Please take the hockey talk elsewhere. But, while we're on the subject...even if the Bruins win thi series gainst the Leafs, they're going nowhere. The Bs can't score. They made that ridiculous trade o obtain the 59 year old Jagr...for whom I believe they parted with a future first round pick. The guy is worthless...as most 59 year old hockey players are. Boston could have and should have disposed of the Leafs in 5. They are one big time scorer away from being a serious Stanley Cup contender.

Hey Tex...dont into Rusty man...a little back and forth re: hockey is not a mortal sin ok? it's may off season hockey playoffs and a few comments mixed in on any forum-because after all we are all SPORTS fans-is no big deal so lighten up ok?

uh-oh everybody the board police is in the house. everyone be on your best behavior or you might be reported for whatever our resident board cop deems inappropriate. I will say this I was wrong about 42 he is no teenage girl... more like a pre-teenage girl... smiley face

* busted *

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

RESPONSE: Don't turn into Rusty?? That idiot is ruining this forum by diverting threads to suit whatever crazed whim he has, on that particular day...wouldn't you agree?  

Sorry about Jagr. I really thought he was 59...LOL!!! Also...I was wrong about Jagr being  obtained for a first round pick. The Bs got him for two prospects, and a conditional second round pick: http://espn.go.com/boston/nhl/story/_/id/9124995/dallas-stars-trade-jaromir-jagr-boston-bruins-source-says  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Much better QBs next year, even in the second round.

Really? Please name them. Besides, do you really want to see the Pats reach for a QB in rounds one or two, next season? Barkley, Nassib and Wilson were all available at the 91st overall pick. What QB better than them will the Pats be able to get with their late third round pick, next year?

That said Seattle...what would you have said last year to anyone who told you that the Seahawks would be as good or better than the Patriots by 2013? Hard to believe how far the Seahawks have come, in such a short time. It just goes to show how valuable a franchise QB is. Russell Wilson turned that team around. This is why I'm so disappointed that the Pats reached at pick #91 for a safety that they could have gotten in round 7...rather than taking a flier on one of the aforementioned QBs, who might become the next Russell Wilson. 

Bridgewater, McCarron, Murray, Manziel, Mariota, Boyd, to name a few.

Even the second tier guys are comparable if not better than the top QBs of 2013. You want someone who has Kellen Moore's accuracy but can throw the ball harder? Go look at the QB in Nevada.

Of the 2013 QBs, Barkley was the only one I would have considered. He was the only one who's had a signature game (vs Luck). At least that tells you can perform on a big stage. However, he has not been able to replicate. He was a better college QB than TEN's Locker, who, to my surprise, is not doing bad.

There was no urgency to get a QB in 2013. The starter is still playing well. The back up is arguably a first round talent. There was nobody compelling enough to throw one of the very few picks they had onto.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

RESPONSE: Currently, Bridgewater or DE Clowney from South Carolina are the projected choices for the #1 overall pick in the 2014 draft. But, who can really say? At this time last year, Matt Barkley was projected as the #1 overall pick...and look what happened with him. Furthermore, even if each of the six guys you list above have great years, will any of them be available to be had with the 91st overall pick? Barkley would have been a great value pick at #91.  

Even the second tier guys are comparable if not better than the top QBs of 2013. You want someone who has Kellen Moore's accuracy but can throw the ball harder? Go look at the QB in Nevada.

RESPONSE: Again, Barkley, Nassib, and Tyler Wilson are all good evelopmental prospects...and all were available at pick #91. I doubt that there will be better QB prospects available next year at pick #91...than those three.  

Of the 2013 QBs, Barkley was the only one I would have considered. He was the only one who's had a signature game (vs Luck). At least that tells you can perform on a big stage. However, he has not been able to replicate. He was a better college QB than TEN's Locker, who, to my surprise, is not doing bad.

RESPONSE: I liked Barkley and Nassib best. Barkley had a rough senior year at USC, playing behind an injury riddled OL, and playing for a vastly overrated coach. Though Nassib didn't face a similar grade of competition than Barkley, he has a stronger arm, bid hands, and showed leadership skills. Still, on has to wonder why his former coach, Doug Marone, passed on him for the more physically gifted E.J. Manuel. 

There was no urgency to get a QB in 2013. The starter is still playing well. The back up is arguably a first round talent. There was nobody compelling enough to throw one of the very few picks they had onto.

RESPONSE: Mo urgency? Tom Terrific turns 36 next season. Both Barkley and Nassib fell to the Pats at pick #91. Would you prefer that BB waits to Tom is on his last legs in a couple of years before he gets a QB? Or, doesn't it make far more sense to grab a good prospect like Barkley now, and see what he can do. If he shows ability, the Pats are in a great position in which Barkley could sit and learn for several years...much like Aaron Rodgers did, behind Bret Favre. If he's a bust, move on and keep looking.

There is no more important position on a team than starting QB. Without a good one, a team is doomed. With a good one, a team almost immediately becomes a playoff contender. Look no further than the Seahawks, and the impact that Russell Wilson had with them. Brady can't go on forever. The Pats need to transition away from him and find a capable replacement, if they are to continue to be a playoff team in the upcoming decade, from 2015-2025.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

RESPONSE: Currently, Bridgewater or DE Clowney from South Carolina are the projected choices for the #1 overall pick in the 2014 draft. But, who can really say? At this time last year, Matt Barkley was projected as the #1 overall pick...and look what happened with him. Furthermore, even if each of the six guys you list above have great years, will any of them be available to be had with the 91st overall pick? Barkley would have been a great value pick at #91.  

RESPONSE: Again, Barkley, Nassib, and Tyler Wilson are all good evelopmental prospects...and all were available at pick #91. I doubt that there will be better QB prospects available next year at pick #91...than those three.  

RESPONSE: I liked Barkley and Nassib best. Barkley had a rough senior year at USC, playing behind an injury riddled OL, and playing for a vastly overrated coach. Though Nassib didn't face a similar grade of competition than Barkley, he has a stronger arm, bid hands, and showed leadership skills. Still, on has to wonder why his former coach, Doug Marone, passed on him for the more physically gifted E.J. Manuel. 

RESPONSE: Mo urgency? Tom Terrific turns 36 next season. Both Barkley and Nassib fell to the Pats at pick #91. Would you prefer that BB waits to Tom is on his last legs in a couple of years before he gets a QB? Or, doesn't it make far more sense to grab a good prospect like Barkley now, and see what he can do. If he shows ability, the Pats are in a great position in which Barkley could sit and learn for several years...much like Aaron Rodgers did, behind Bret Favre. If he's a bust, move on and keep looking.

There is no more important position on a team than starting QB. Without a good one, a team is doomed. With a good one, a team almost immediately becomes a playoff contender. Look no further than the Seahawks, and the impact that Russell Wilson had with them. Brady can't go on forever. The Pats need to transition away from him and find a capable replacement, if they are to continue to be a playoff team in the upcoming decade, from 2015-2025.  

They have Mallett. Unless you are saying he will be a bust, then there is no point in taking a back up. You want them to pick up  value QB in the third round. You don't think that was a good idea yet you are saying they should have taken a QB under a similar circumstance. Why do you think Barkley would make a better value pick than Mallett was?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

They have Mallett.

RESPONSE: Mallett is not an option. He will be a restricted free agent next year, and an UFA in 2015. If the Patriots don't trade him, they'll end up losing him to another team...and will get nothing in return.

Unless you are saying he will be a bust, then there is no point in taking a back up.

RESPONSE: Do you really think that Mallett will replace Brady in a year lor two? If not, than he's gone through free agency. No way that the Pats are going to pay him big money to stay on as a back-up. Plus, even if the Pats were so willing, Mallett is going to leave anyway...to go play for a team, where he can compete for a starting role.

You want them to pick up value QB in the third round. You don't think that was a good idea yet you are saying they should have taken a QB under a similar circumstance.

RESPONSE: Mallett, taken with the 74th overall pick in the 2011 draft, was a good risk. The Pats scouting department had him rated as the top QB in that draft class. Unfortunately, Mallett has shown little in preseason games over the past two years. That's why the Pats couldn't trade him this off-season...even in a supposedly weak QB draft class year. Had Mallett shown something in preseason games, the Pats could have gotten much in return in a trade. 

In the case of Barkley, he would have been another great risk to take at #91. Relatively speaking, he would have been a low risk...but very high reward, if he showed he could cut it. The Pats could have groomed Barkley behind Brady for three years, before being faced with another free agency decision. Tom Brady will need to be replaced in the next 3-4 years. 

Why do you think Barkley would make a better value pick than Mallett was?

RESPONSE: Cheaper price (91st overall pick), while Mallett, as mentioned above, went 74th overall. I'm not saying that Barkley or Nassib will be stars. But, as I've stated many times before in previous posts...QB is the most important position on the field. If a team has a good one, you're likely looking at a playoff team. Don't have one...and a team usually is done. Brady must be replaced in the next 2-4 years. If the Pats had selected Barkley at #91 and he developed into, say, another Drew Brees...the Patriots would likely be looking at another decade of NFL dominance. Isn't that worth the risk of a low third round pick? Doesn't doing that make far more sense than reaching for Duron Harmon, in hopes of developing him into a decent safety?  Isn't that as much of a long shot as Barkley and/or Nassib evolving into franchise QBs?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Here's an article that discusses some of the draft selections by the AFC East teams. Though I don't agree with some of it, I think you'll find it to be an interesting read: http://withthefirstpick.com/2013/05/16/2013-nfl-draft-review-afc-east/