Post Season Brady?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Post Season Brady?

Not to ignore the obvious weakness of the Pats D here because we all know they are average at best. ...even while being very opportunistic.

The fact of the matter is that Brady has not been consistently good in the post season in a while.

Yes I know matchups play a key role and what happened last season, two seasons ago or over the last 4-8 post season games is no indicator of what will happen this post season. I still am uneasy remembering the facts.

Tom Brady, Postseason Career (excludes last year which was also not great)

1st 10 Games     Last 8 Games
    W-L                 10-0                   4-4
    TD-Int              14-3                 14-12
    Int pct               0.9                    3.9
    Passer rating     91.1                   79.4

Tom Brady in First Quarter, Postseason Career (excludes last year which was also not great)

1st 10 Games     Last 8 Games
    Comp pct           62.2                  52.9
    Pass yds            534                    314
    TD-Int               3-0                    1-3
    Passer rating      93.2                   52.0

Its a lot of pressure for Tom but he's going to have to handle it.

The team in 2009 was flawed, bad locker room, welker hurt going into playoffs, team giving up a long run TD right out of the gate, etc. Still Brady can not have a series of events like in that game where he fumbled, went 3 and out, then INT, INT. The Patriots would have a hard time over coming that in the post season in any year.

Here is some other stats i pulled together from this season with regards to the most potent offenses and their QB's. Also how those QB's faired in their most recent post season appearances.

Brady and Pats

2011* Held under 30 points 4 times

2010 post season only scored 21 and lost
    (2 TD, 1 INT) (Opp D Rank, 3rd)

2009 post season only scored 14 and lost
    (2 TD, 3 INT) (Opp D Rank, 3rd)

2007 post season scored 31, 21, 14 and W,W(lucky),L
    (6 TD, 3 INT) (Opp D Ranks, 12th, 14th, 7th)

Rogers and GreenBay

2011* Held under 30 points 5 times

2010 post season scored 21, 48, 21, 31 and W, W, W, W
    (9 TD, 2 INT) (Opp D Ranks, 12th, 16th, 9th, 2nd)

2009 post season scored 45 and L
    (4 TD, 1 INT) (Opp D Rank, 20th)

Brees and Saints

2011* held under 30 points 6 times

2010 post season scored 36 and L
    (2 TD, 0 INT) (Opp D Rank, 27th)

2009 post season scored 45, 31, 31 and W, W, W
    (8 TD, 0 INT) (opp D Rank, 20th, 6th, 18th)

Seems Brady has thrown more INT's in the last 4 or 5 recent post season games than Rogers and Brees combined. That can't happen for the Pats to be successful, which I know is stating the obvious.

Brady has only put up more than 30 points once in his last five post season appearances and that was in a game where Jacksonville decided not to even attempt to come after him and let Brady pick them apart all game.

I think what everyone else has been saying is probably close to accurate. Brady will have to pull a consistency of Drew Brees 2009 post season and score 30+ everytime to have a better than avg chance.
    Here are the problems with that.

1) In 2010 the Pats were only held under 30 1 more time than this season(2011) and yet still did not score 30 in the post season, as has been the case. They only scored a lowly 14 points two of the past five visits to the post season and one of those was with a record setting offense with tons of weapons. Yes I know the OL got man-handled in that game.

2) 6 or 7 of the top rated(statistically) defenses this year are all in the AFC. SF is the only NFC team. The Pats will most likely be facing one of them at some point in the post season again.

Here's to my New Years wish of Brady being on fire for the post season!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mighty2012. Show mighty2012's posts

Re: Post Season Brady?

It is of no concern.  Soon the NFL will be crushed and the 4th Lombardi will be ours.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: Post Season Brady?:
    [QUOTE]Your point is?  The Pats lose when scoring fewer points than the opposition?
    Posted by Patsfansince1966[/QUOTE]

No my point is only that Tom's inconsistency in the post season concerns me.

The Pats D has not been great in quite a while but generally speaking they play very similarly in the post season as they do in the regular season. Even if the same is not great.

The Pats O on the other hand has been great, for the most part (excluding 2009 2nd halfs), in the regular season but they have not consistently matched that play in the playoffs.

My worry is I have far less of an idea what Offense will show up than I do what defense will show up for the Pats.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think something that jumps out in your observation is that Brady faced the following ranked defenses (3rd, 3rd, and 7th) in all his loses. Yet he still managed to put up 21, 14 and 14. Not great, but I think it proves the point that defense wins championships, which we don't have. If we DO win a Championship this year - rest assured it will be because of Brady, not our 32nd ranked defense.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]I think something that jumps out in your observation is that Brady faced the following ranked defenses (3rd, 3rd, and 7th) in all his loses. Yet he still managed to put up 21, 14 and 14. Not great, but I think it proves the point that defense wins championships, which we don't have. If we DO win a Championship this year - rest assured it will be because of Brady, not our 32nd ranked defense.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

well, yeah - our D gives up tons of yardage between the 20's, but lately they've gotten lucky with some turnovers and takeaways lately.  Now, it may or may not be signficant because they were against teams we're supposed to beat.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

The O-line has been a big issue in more recent playoff history. Given decent protection, Brady is the best.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Post Season Brady? : Right and running the ball has nothing to do with offsetting said pressure on Brady? Did you miss how Charlie Weis called games in 3 SB wins, Einstein? It's very clear some of you here are new fans who started watching this team in 2007.   There is no debate anymore. You've proven your lack of knowledge on this topic.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII[/QUOTE]

Brilliant analysis Albert. Of course we should have handed the ball to Maroney more in the Giants' SB to keep the pressure off Brady. His 2.5 yards a carry that game was a secret weapon the rest of us all forgot about. Duh.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]I think something that jumps out in your observation is that Brady faced the following ranked defenses (3rd, 3rd, and 7th) in all his loses. Yet he still managed to put up 21, 14 and 14. Not great, but I think it proves the point that defense wins championships, which we don't have. If we DO win a Championship this year - rest assured it will be because of Brady, not our 32nd ranked defense.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

Yes I agree, that's my point. It will depend if Brady and the offense spits the bit playing a decent defense in the post season or not. His track record has not been terrific in the post season as of recent years but hoping this year is completely different.

There is no use worrying about the defense in the post season because we already know they are what they are. Not remotely great. If they play better its just a bonus.

Just comes down to expectations I guess.

I personally have none for the D in the post season because they haven't shown otherwise in the regular season.

The Pats O on the other hand has shown they are great almost the entire year in the regular season. Same as last year so I would hate to see them drive the field and have Brady throw a ridiculous INT and go into a funk again like last post season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]The O-line has been a big issue in more recent playoff history. Given decent protection, Brady is the best.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

That's certainly part of it for sure and it's everyone involved in the offense not just Brady. WR, RB, OL, OC, HC but the INT's, time or not, have been a problem for Brady in the post season and that more often is strictly decision making.

For better or worse the team is constructed for Brady to carry them as far as they will go. So hoping he's on this post season more than past recent ones is all.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.