Poster Perfect

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Poster Perfect

In response to zbellino's comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I hate to single anyone out because there are lots I like to read, but I think many would agree that zbellino is probably the best of all to read if you want to learn more about football.  

Funny. If I was going to say someone who "thought like me" was here it would be Prolate. There are a lot of things that go into winning and losing. A lot of fans like to try and boil it down to a "philosopher's stone."

Genuine intellectual curiosity rules that out. Prolate gets that.

I'd also add, in recent years, I like exchanges with guys like Hurl (when he's not arguing), Bredbru, PCMV, and Wozzie. All of whom, I've had exhanges with, but are solid posters who take the board seriously and know what they are talking about.

And (I say this at least once a year, increasingly to raspberries) TexasPat. Guy runs an eval thread for every game and for the draft. He's been doing it for the best part of a decade. That is a bunch of dedication.  

I'll file Gints in there too. When he isn't trading shots with people over nonsense, he actually *compliments* the Patriots, BB, Brady et al more than a lot of fans do, and he has a good grasp on what's going on around the league. 

Thanks Z, but you know way more about football than I do . . . I read your posts because I learn so much from them. 

I do think we share a similar intellectual curiousity.  I might put PatsEng in the same group, too.  And Wozzy's got some of that.  Also pcmv and mia and jri . . . all guys who seem more interested in understanding what's happening than in promulgating some kind of agenda.  There are probably others I'm missing, but based on recent conversations those stand out. 

There are other types of posters I like a lot too.  Tcal, for just one example, cracks me up.  Almost always get a laugh out of his one liners . . .

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to palookaski's comment:

I'll vote for my MVP (Most Valuable Poster).  My choice PatsEng. He closely mirrors my own way of thinking Pats Football and things in general. Articulate, motivated and thorough.

Runnerups:

2) Favorite Second runnerup(s), if close to no.1 ......... Prolatespheroid

3) Favorite no hassle guy, with just great Pats/specific FB info ...... wozzy, mia76

Lots of good people ..... 

Thank you palook it's an honor just being mentioned by someone, you too Pro.

Depending on the time of year and topic at hand I tend to most agree with different posters at different times.

TFB - I tended to agree with early in the offseason

Z - I'm tending to agree with a lot recently, though that wasn't always the case

Rusty - sad to say before Rusty went off the deep end during the season I tended to agree with offensive philosophy (just not when involving Brady)

But in general I'd say in general I seem to agree most with MB and Pro on a lot of topics throughout the year

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I will add that I like both Rusty and Babe (am I bipolar or something?) The guys I mentioned in the post above I like because it's pure (and objective) football  with them. But  Rusty and Babe are both a lot of fun to talk with too. On football, I agree with Babe an awful lot; with Rusty it's more mixed. On politics, it's the opposite, Rusty's my guy, and Babe and I rarely see eye to eye.

Since there are so many boycott Rusty threads, I'll come to his defense.  What I like about Rusty is that he pushes you to think harder.  He's argumentative and he throws out insults, but in my opinion that only challenges you to come back with an even stronger argument.  That helps me refine my thoughts and get smarter, so I see it as useful.  Plus, I think at heart (beneath all the egomanaical behaviour) Rusty's an okay guy who really doesn't have any malice toward anyone, despite his over-the-top language.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Absolutely love reading Prolate and zbellino's posts. Each one is thoughtful, insightful, well written, and thought provoking. It's clear that both have a strong understanding of the game of football, and they're in a select minority here who seem to understand that football is indeed a team game; they don't blame a philosophical approach, or one particular player. Rather, they look at the whole picture, attempt (to the best of their ability) to analyze what happened, and determine why we won or lost.

Objective, intelligent, thoughtful.... doesn't get much better than that. Two guys I'd love to have a beer (or a coffee) with and talk Pats football

Let's go Pats!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

I will add that I like both Rusty and Babe (am I bipolar or something?) The guys I mentioned in the post above I like because it's pure (and objective) football  with them. But  Rusty and Babe are both a lot of fun to talk with too. On football, I agree with Babe an awful lot; with Rusty it's more mixed. On politics, it's the opposite, Rusty's my guy, and Babe and I rarely see eye to eye.

Since there are so many boycott Rusty threads, I'll come to his defense.  What I like about Rusty is that he pushes you to think harder.  He's argumentative and he throws out insults, but in my opinion that only challenges you to come back with an even stronger argument.  That helps me refine my thoughts and get smarter, so I see it as useful.  Plus, I think at heart (beneath all the egomanaical behaviour) Rusty's an okay guy who really doesn't have any malice toward anyone, despite his over-the-top language.

+1  Both Rusty and Babe add good stuff.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to Bunker Spreckles' comment:

In response to dreighver's comment:

Absolutely love reading Prolate and zbellino's posts. Each one is thoughtful, insightful, well written, and thought provoking. It's clear that both have a strong understanding of the game of football, and they're in a select minority here who seem to understand that football is indeed a team game; they don't blame a philosophical approach, or one particular player. Rather, they look at the whole picture, attempt (to the best of their ability) to analyze what happened, and determine why we won or lost.

Objective, intelligent, thoughtful.... doesn't get much better than that. Two guys I'd love to have a beer (or a coffee) with and talk Pats football

Let's go Pats!

The flaws with them, which really compromises what you  just said, is they think Brady can do no wrong and they transpose his flaws and poor play recently over to the younger and inexperienced defense.

I've said it many times..They are clearly intelligent people, which is why they're refusal to admit Brady has let our team down as much any player on our team lately, is so annoying. They just gloss right over it and then scapegoat others, eventually putting it on BB's plate as if BB can control Brady's in-play QB moves or passes or Welker's drops.

It's just bizarre to see two intelligent people sort of not care why this continues to happen. 

Then, a troll like Gunty whips in and sees an angle and says something like "my D played great!  You just can't admit the other team played well!"

Well, no, Gunty, our own team, our own offense literally choked on slam dunk, EASY plays which let your overrated SB winning teams off the hook.  

I disagree Rusty. I think Prolate ZB tend to acquit Brady of any fault, because as of late, he hasn't been deserving of any significant blame.

I understand that statistically speaking, and as far as the eye-test goes, Brady's play has dropped off in the playoffs. I will grant you that. With that said, I feel confident saying (although I haven't looked at the statistics myself) that this is the case for most quarterbacks in the NFL. When the playoffs begins, nerves kick in, and as a result players drop more passes, timing is thrown off, and you begin to play better defenses in an environment and under circumstances that lend themself to defensive football. Naturally, offensive production drops, and the production of the quarterbacks drop as well.

To win in the playoffs, and this has been demonstrated time and time again, you need to have a strong defense, and perhaps more importantly, a defense which can force turnovers in big games, and bow their necks in crunch time. Unfortunately, recent iterations of the Patriots' defense has failed to do this. They're wonderful at forcing turnovers in the regular season, but when the playoffs kick in, they seem to lose their magic touch. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

[QUOTE]

Let's go Pats!

The flaws with them, which really compromises what you  just said, is they think Brady can do no wrong and they transpose his flaws and poor play recently over to the younger and inexperienced defense.

I've said it many times..They are clearly intelligent people, which is why they're refusal to admit Brady has let our team down as much any player on our team lately, is so annoying. They just gloss right over it and then scapegoat others, eventually putting it on BB's plate as if BB can control Brady's in-play QB moves or passes or Welker's drops.

It's just bizarre to see two intelligent people sort of not care why this continues to happen. 

Then, a troll like Gunty whips in and sees an angle and says something like "my D played great!  You just can't admit the other team played well!"

Well, no, Gunty, our own team, our own offense literally choked on slam dunk, EASY plays which let your overrated SB winning teams off the hook.  

I disagree Rusty. I think Prolate ZB tend to acquit Brady of any fault, because as of late, he hasn't been deserving of any significant blame.

I understand that statistically speaking, and as far as the eye-test goes, Brady's play has dropped off in the playoffs. I will grant you that. With that said, I feel confident saying (although I haven't looked at the statistics myself) that this is the case for most quarterbacks in the NFL. When the playoffs begins, nerves kick in, and as a result players drop more passes, timing is thrown off, and you begin to play better defenses in an environment and under circumstances that lend themself to defensive football. Naturally, offensive production drops, and the production of the quarterbacks drop as well.

To win in the playoffs, and this has been demonstrated time and time again, you need to have a strong defense, and perhaps more importantly, a defense which can force turnovers in big games, and bow their necks in crunch time. Unfortunately, recent iterations of the Patriots' defense has failed to do this. They're wonderful at forcing turnovers in the regular season, but when the playoffs kick in, they seem to lose their magic touch. 

That's fair except they really don't say that Brady must improve. They just gloss over it.  They want to focus more on 1st or 2nd year players on D who just graduated college.

Brady's 2011 AFC title game or SB 46 isn't enough for him to get some blame? How does that make sense? BY his own admittance, he said he sucked and then he made colossal errors in the 4th qtr in two crucial spots that were actually easy decisions not to make or being somewhat lazy on a throw to Welker.

As for the D, Spikes picked Flacco in 2011 and that should have pretty much been the game, but what did Brady do on 1st down?  An INT! 

Last year, I think we all can agree if Talib and Jones are there, that game is clearly going to be closer and we might win it.

Our D is strong and getting stronger and deeper in every year since BB started the rebuild with youth into the lockout in 2010.  What hasn't happened is Brady is not shedding his repeated mistakes and flaws as a QB.

The D is trending up and quick and the offense, led by Brady, not so much.  Offense wins championships in Goodell's era. Sound, balanced, smart offense.

[/QUOTE]

Brady clearly struggled in the 2011 AFC Title game, and the defense played relatively well. 

But Super Bowl 46, I don't see how you could possibly place the blame at the feet of Brady for that one. If Welker catches that pass, or the defense stops the Giants on their final drive, Brady is going to be the MVP of that game, and it really wasn't close.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I like the folks you can disagree with and leave it at that. No personal insults, no running to moderators. You know, grown ups. Lots of smart folks on here, most of their names have been mentioned. A couple I ddin't see are Low-FB-IQ and mbeaulieu. I'm not much of a draftnik myself, but those are two guys who know their football.  I tend to disagree with TexasPat more often than not, but I can't deny the guy is bright and puts a lot of effort into his posts on here. Alot more than I do...

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

eh....all his nastiness and personal judgements and disparaging comments is not something you should abide or rationalize pro- call it what it is, don't excuse it as "useful" and "challenging"...that's enabling to a tee

i disagree beneath the surface-maybe ur right but...all i see and hear and read is a condescending blowhard  in love with himself who is about 90% head and 10% heart ie: he lacks the ability to empathize and considers common courtesy, respect for others and general decency irrelevant and of little use to him and like spock it just does not compute

i distinctly remember a thread about feeling good for the colts winning a game for pagano with him sitting in the booth, recovering from cancer...and who is the only one to reply with "stop trolling this doesn't belong here"...on a post talking about a coach with cancer and his team winning a game for him-even the pats fans called him on it-tells me what really lies "below the surface"...

and really who is this w*nker to judge ANYBODY in the first place? to be honest the stuff he gets away with here that people defend or turn a blind eye to or enable is unreal-typical of his type but unreal

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

eh....all his nastiness and personal judgements and disparaging comments is not something you should abide or rationalize pro- call it what it is, don't excuse it as "useful" and "challenging"...that's enabling to a tee

i disagree beneath the surface-maybe ur right but...all i see and hear and read is a condescending blowhard  in love with himself who is about 90% head and 10% heart ie: he lacks the ability to empathize and considers common courtesy, respect for others and general decency irrelevant and of little use to him and like spock it just does not compute

i distinctly remember a thread about feeling good for the colts winning a game for pagano with him sitting in the booth, recovering from cancer...and who is the only one to reply with "stop trolling this doesn't belong here"...on a post talking about a coach with cancer and his team winning a game for him-even the pats fans called him on it-tells me what really lies "below the surface"...

and really who is this w*nker to judge ANYBODY in the first place? to be honest the stuff he gets away with here that people defend or turn a blind eye to or enable is unreal-typical of his type but unreal

So you're saying rusty is the poster who is most like you?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

Can't get enough of Faucetman; too bad he's just around during draft time.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

So you're saying rusty is the poster who is most like you?

really dig?

show me any post where i judged someone based on their job? their education level? age?

show me where i have been banned a dozen times- show me where i routinely engage in name calling, personal attacks and a consistent condescending nature- show me where i boast of my supposed 152 IQ, my paycheck and my overall "superior" abilitiy to think

and really what kind of a person would have a problem with a thread celebrating a coach fightng cancer and his team rallying around him by saying "stop trolling, this doesn't belong here"

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

really dig?

show me any post where i judged someone based on their job? their education level? age?

show me where i have been banned a dozen times- show me where i routinely engage in name calling, personal attacks and a consistent condescending nature- show me where i boast of my supposed 152 IQ, my paycheck and my overall "superior" abilitiy to think

and really what kind of a person would have a problem with a thread celebrating a coach fightng cancer and his team rallying around him by saying "stop trolling, this doesn't belong here"

It's my thread and I asked the question what poster from this forum is most like you.  You posted about rusty. I realize you were responding to prolate and I was just having fun with you. This was supposed to be a feel good thread. So be good.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Thanks. May I ask what you mean by "over the top language"? Just curious.

I've already admitted that people's ignorance or horrendous reading comprehension, after articulating the bejesus out of my point, is annooying, which in turn may lead me to use something like "Corky" at the end of a sentence.  You have to admit, if soemone takes the time to counter your point and then the discussion is way, way above their heads, they look pretty silly, somewhat trolling the thread.

Either engage with your homework pretty much done or just read and learn/move on.

I just don't think it's that difficult of a concept.

PS Sometimes you or anyone coming back with a "different" argument means your original one was flawed and you lost. hehe

By over the top I mostly mean the insults, though part of it is also the way of viewing everything as a contest in which there are winners (always you in your mind) and losers (anyone who doesn't  agree with you).  

And as far as your last statement, I might humbly suggest that coming back with a "refined" argument is sometimes a better strategy than digging your heels in and defending a flawed argument to the point of absurdity.