Postive Things About The Patriots-Titans Game

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Postive Things About The Patriots-Titans Game

First of all, Nashville is a pretty cool city and lived up to Music City.  It seemed like wherever you turned, someone was playing live music.  LP stadium was really nice, clean, had a good variety of fast food expected at these kinds of venues, a cover band playing an hour or so before the game, free fan pictures for their first game of the season, friendly tailgators of fans from both teams. Ended up sharing a beer w/ a fellow Patriot fan from Framingham. The Titan fans were very classy (in other words, noone was swearing at us or throwing glass bottles at us).

I thought it was a solid all around game, not perfect, but each phase of the game showed up (except for maybe kick/punt returns phase of special teams).

Things that make me very excited about the rest of the season:
    Was the unpredictable play calling (for the most part).  This is something that several people have been ranting and raving about for a while. In fact, I think it's one of the better games that I can recall McDaniels calling.  Now, my memory is bad, but I recall McD being a fairly predictable play calling OC in his early years who went pass happy in 2007 because of the tools he got (namely Moss). Even w/ Cassell as QB, he and BB kept things simple, but I wouldn't say he was unpredictable.

I saw some misdirection plays: movement of TEs to a running formation going heavy on one side, play action, and throwing to the opposite side.  I saw the offense managing the clock during the second half when they were up 21 points by successfully running the ball.

Now, one could argue - that Ridley/the running game benefitted from having a lead; but, I'm gonna go with a more unpredicatable plan of attack for the offense...lol.

The defense (except for the secondary that had a couple of breakdowns) did reasonably well; except for when the Patriots appeared to go to a cover two early....and played the safeties deep; leaving the middle of the field open. The Titans scored on that drive.

I see some folks are picking on Welker and Woodhead on the offense. Woodhead had one decent run that I remember, but he couldn't seem to weave thru traffic like he used to be able to.

Another thing I saw was Ridley in play action, shedding blocks, and getting open underneath coverage. This happened several times where he was wide open, but am guessing that he wasn't the first option and was a check down.

Anyways, overall - there's really not much to complain about. It really was a solid outing by everyone. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Postive Things About The Patriots-Titans Game

Good point about the misdirection plays.  I thought the misdirection (or counter) plays were the most confusing thing about the offensive plays early in the game.  It was pretty hard to figure out where the ball was going.  And there seemed to be lots of TE drag routes going against the grain as well.  The deep pass to Lloyd, even though it was incomplete, seemed to add a completely different dimension, adding a vertical stretch when most of the earlier plays seemed to be working more horizontally.  I can't wait to look at the coaches film.  It was a really different offensive look, especially in the first quarter than what we've seen in the last two years.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Good point about the misdirection plays.  I thought the misdirection (or counter) plays were the most confusing thing about the offensive plays early in the game.  It was pretty hard to figure out where the ball was going.  And there seemed to be lots of TE drag routes going against the grain as well.  The deep pass to Lloyd, even though it was incomplete, seemed to add a completely different dimension, adding a vertical stretch when most of the earlier plays seemed to be working more horizontally.  I can't wait to look at the coaches film.  It was a really different offensive look, especially in the first quarter than what we've seen in the last two years.  

there was an article (can't find it this sec) that just mentioned how opposing defenses are seeing similar formations, but different looks/stances, and movement along the line of scrimmage; making it harder to tell where the ball is going.  Good news for our offense.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Of the Brady’s 32 dropbacks, eight utilized play-action fakes to the running back (which makes the rushers hesitate) and another six were bubble screens or quick passes to receivers. That’s 43.8 percent “deception plays.”