Potential Busts?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from elDunker2. Show elDunker2's posts

Potential Busts?

Potential Busts according to various media mock draft sources: Who do you think could be busts and the Pats should avoid? Poe - good size and natural talent but no drive Coples - lacks drive and commitment Claiborne -  dumb (Merriweather and Ocho?) Tannehill - unimpressive stats,  experience Blackmon - poor separation (Crabtree) Upshaw - size. Can a tweener be OLB? Jenkins - off field issues Kirkpatrick. - drug arrest S.Hill - separation and drive Floyd - same as above Reyes - no proven competition Irvin - overhyped. MCClellin - unimpressive film. Crick

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: Potential Busts?

It depends on how you define bust, but here are my takes:

Poe wasn't that productive in college.  I doubt he is there when the Pats pick, but he has huge bust potential.  I'd stay away.

I think Coples is better suited for the 4-3, although he definitely doesn't play up to his athletic gifts.  Again I don't think he will be around when NE picks, but I'd stay away.

Claiborne will be a good player.  Wonderlic is a silly way to evaluate players.  Again he is projected as a top 5, but I'd take him if given the opportunity (which won't happen).

Tannehill might be a decent prospect, but will get overdrafted.  Also there is no way NE is drafting a QB in the first round.

I think Blackmon will be a good receiver in the NFL, but not as dominant as he was in college.

I'm not super high on Upshaw, but I think he will be a solid player.  I don't think he'll be a bust although he could get overdrafted.

Jenkins has huge bust potential just because of his off the field issues.  I think he busts, but I wouldn't be horrified at taking a shot at him late in the 2nd or in the 3rd.

Kirkpatrick will be a good player.  The drug arrest is overblown imo.  He isn't JJ.

I think Hill will be a bust just because he didn't play in a conventional offense in college.  Even if he turns into a good receiver I think the learning curve will be so high for him that by the time he could become productive his rookie contract will be closer to being done and you wonder whether it was worth drafting him with a high pick.

I don't think Floyd will be a bust if he stays healthy.  I don't want NE drafting him, but I think he will be a good player.

I think Reyes could be a solid player, but I don't think he'll be a star.

I love Irvin.  I think he has huge potential and just needs more coaching.  I'd love for the pats to grab him although I think it would have to be with a 2nd rounder at the earliest.

I like McClellin.  I think he would be a good pickup for NE.

I think Crick is going to be a bust.  He reminds me a lot of Ron Brace (not in terms of measurables or position), but that he benefitted from playing alongside a beast (Raji for Brace and Suh for Crick) in college.  I also think Crick is a 4-3 player so I wouldn't want NE to touch him anyways.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 15315k. Show 15315k's posts

I think maybe Poe for the same reason. Some of those guys will be busts, its always hard to figure it out. Hopefully the Jets draft another bust like they did with Gholston that year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

First, Claiborne isn't dumb he has a reading disability that hindered his wonderlick test. By all accounts (including his teachers) he's an extremely hard working intelligent student who spends hours after class and with tutors to overcome his learning disability.

Short of that the players I think will be busts are:

Poe - Physical specimen that doesn't play up to his ability and just doesn't have the drive or motivation to be a consistent player in the league

Jenkins - Whether he gets kicked out for substance abuse of off-field issues cause him to no fully concentrate on the field I think this player will be a major tease. He'll show flashes of dominance but in the end just won't be able to pull it together for and consistent amount of time

Tannenhill - He'll be drafted by the Phins, if he wasn't raw enough and needs help beign tossed into the Phins situation will be enough to sink him before he even starts

Crick - I'm not sure if you can even call him a bust because I don't think he gets drafted until the 3rd-4th round range. It's hard to call him a bust being drafted that late

Irvin - See Jenkins, similar situation

Couples - See Poe, just lacks drive no matter the talent

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Dontari Shrimpy-Arms Poe.  His other problem is super-slow reaction time. 

Daddy Jenkins might be able to play but he can't work very well.

I see a Stone-Hips Upshaw.  He can't cover, he has limited ability to get around the tackle and he's way too small to bull-rush every single time. 

I wouldn't call Albert McClellen a sure bust.  He has had major injury issues and he certainly isn't a 242 pound defensive end, but as a linebacker he can cover, and he has a quick first step.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him make someone's practice squad while he gets stronger, and then he could stick.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

elDunker gets my vote. Must be a sad existance heralding someone elses failure.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from elDunker2. Show elDunker2's posts

In response to "Re: Potential Busts?":
    elDunker gets my vote. Must be a sad existance heralding someone elses failure. Posted by rtuinila
    Aww. Did I bring up bad memories rtuinila...? Go look up the actual definition of heralding, change your panties, then come back and cry me a river.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Potential All Pro's...

Poe - good size and natural talent but no drive
    Coples - lacks drive and commitment
    Claiborne -  dumb (Merriweather and Ocho?)
    Tannehill - unimpressive stats,  experience
    Blackmon - poor separation (Crabtree)
    Upshaw - size. Can a tweener be OLB?
    Jenkins - off field issues
    Kirkpatrick. - drug arrest
    S.Hill - separation and drive
    Floyd - same as above
    Reyes - no proven competition
    Irvin - overhyped. 
    MCClellin - unimpressive film. 
    Crick

Welcome to your first NFL draft...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Potential Busts?:
    In Response to Potential Busts? : you do realize Tom Brady would have been on this list in 2001, right? on many of these lists with the terms slow and unathletic and citing how bad his combine was...how'd that work out? come back in 3-5 years, that's the only way to tell a bust from a success
    Posted by JintsFan

Yeah but Jints, Brady was expected to be a day 3 pick from the get go. Most of these guys are expected to be 1st round picks. I think his premise was which day 1 players do you think won't make it in the Pro's

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Bust is a very realitive term - first round draft picks are supposed to be sure things. By the second round the hit rate is down to about 50%, and by the 4th round it is more like 15% So calling a player a bust after the first round really doesn't mean much - you are certainly hoping for production, but at a 50% hit rate you aren't all that surprised if a player never develops. So ...my list:
    Tannhill - may be fabulous down the road, but if he gets drafted top ten then he is likely expected to start this year and he will bomb early - the question is will he mentally survive the pounding and the backlash from fans. His best hope is that Chiefs or Eagles or similar team takes him and lets him sit for a year or two.
    Upshaw/Perry - potential busts because they do not have natural positions - will depend on the system they get drafted into and how early they are taken - they are more likely situational players than 3/4 down players. If they go early, they will be expected to be 3/4 downers and could really struggle.
    Poe - classic workout warrior - nice potential, but no tape.
    Blackmon/Floyd - will be good pros but will not be in the top five at WR and fan expectation based on where they are drafted could turn sour.
    Jenkins - a gamble in the first, a calculated risk in the second round. I actually think he may come up trumps - I get the sense he is not a jerk like some with his 'flags' but was immature.
    The hardest thing in the first round is projecting which is why you see more busts with DE/OLB WRs and QBs because they are coming from mostly different systems than they will play as pros so you are 'guessing' and guessing with a first round pick is something you do not want to do. Probably why BB drafts the way he does in the first.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Kendall Reyes is undersized

I'm not sold on the idea of drafting a Mike Wright / Myron Pryor type in the first round when we've found the aforementioned in the 6th-undrafted rounds

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from elDunker2. Show elDunker2's posts

In response to "Re: Potential Busts?":
    Potential All Pro's... Poe - good size and natural talent but no drive Coples - lacks drive and commitment Claiborne -  dumb (Merriweather and Ocho?) Tannehill - unimpressive stats,  experience Blackmon - poor separation (Crabtree) Upshaw - size. Can a tweener be OLB? Jenkins - off field issues Kirkpatrick. - drug arrest S.Hill - separation and drive Floyd - same as above Reyes - no proven competition Irvin - overhyped.  MCClellin - unimpressive film.  Crick Welcome to your first NFL draft... Posted by wozzy
    Thanks Wozzy. I aspire to be a self professed expert, just like you, one day.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I hope one day to be able to read into the future like you and Ms. Cleo...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from elDunker2. Show elDunker2's posts

Well, good luck with that one. I'm sure you will think you have mastered that ability too, in your own mind. Oh, and props on such a clever retort. We can coninue this squabble or just move on. I'm good either way, just looking out for your best interests. BTW - exactly what are your credentials that makes you think your opinion on the draft (and apparently everything else) is sooo special? Please tell us your unique qualifications.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In Response to Re: Potential Busts?:
    In response to "Re: Potential Busts?": Aww. Did I bring up bad memories rtuinila...? Go look up the actual definition of heralding, change your panties, then come back and cry me a river.
    Posted by elDunker2

Yup looked it up and found the definition fits. No panties, just don't like negative nancys and their "I've never done anything so I'm gonna rank on someone that has to make myself feel better" posts.

Sections
Shortcuts