Potential cap casualties

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Potential cap casualties

I was bored at work and decided to go through Miguel's to figure out who could become potential cap casualties. Here's the list I came up with:

Nick Kaczur OT/G - With his recent back problems and play that has not justified his high cap number I expect him to be released once they sign another T or they see what Solder can do. Cap savings $3.1 mil

TBC OLB - with this latest injury they are forced to bring in a new OLB. Roth sounds like the best bet with Lawson being the darkhorse. Either Roth or Lawson will instantly become a starter across from Cunningham essentially making TBC's role minimized to a backup/situational role. Provided no further injuries to the OLB core before TBC is set to come back I can't imagine them paying his contract for depth expect him to be traded/released a week after he comes back or after PuP'd. Cap savings $1.9 mil

James Sanders S - This one would shock me initially given his vet status and all around ability. He is good and solid no matter where you put him but with a log jam at S can his high cap number be spent on other positions of need. I expect BB to see what he has with all those young S's that have been IR'd the last 2 years and if 2-3 show promise with little chance of re-injury Sanders could be traded/released. If he is released I don't expect it until after pre-season game 4. Cap Savings $2.5 mil

All other potential cap casualties will have minimum affect on the overall cap so I didn't bother going through the list. However, with only 7.5 mil (not including RFA tenders or rookie contracts but including Mankins tag) that doesn't leave much room for FA signing. Releasing those 3 guys frees up 7.5 mil in cap space making it a total of 15 mil of cap space. That's enough to sign the Rook's, get a number of UDFA's, resign your depth player FA's, go get a Roth/Lawson, and go get a Floyd/Sims-Walker, as well as getting some vet OL/DL players.

With a number of expected cuts in the pre-season these vets might not make the cut.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lombardi479. Show lombardi479's posts

Re: Potential cap casualties

So, what is the cap set at with the new CBA $120Mil?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dna53. Show dna53's posts

I Think Kazur is gone...and Warren is on the hot seat...Here's a good list of guys
    http://www.60maxpowero.com/patriots/content/welcome-coffin-corner

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I would assume Kaczur isn't going anywhere until the Makins/Light situation is orted out or the Pats sign additional pieces for the OL.
    I am of the impression that a healthy Kaczur is more advanced than Connely, who in my observations struggles in tight situations. He is better in space, but Kaczur to me is more well rounded.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In Response to Re: Potential cap casualties:
    Where you have you seen Kazcur play Guard? Toledo?
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

Yes. Similiar to Makins style, he w/b more effective in straight ahead run game. He would be acceptable in pass blocking, nothing outstanding (similiar to Makins). He would struggle at time pulling (Conelly's strength).
    Sound similiar to S Neal? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

If TBC's cap number is too high for a role player then why did the Pats give him the contract? They knew what they had in him and they gave him that deal anyways. That to me says the team feels differently about his worth.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

What King has said. He was their best OLB at the time and there was no one to take over his role. They were kind of forced to resign him. Also the role player comment comes in to affect only if they sign a Roth or Lawson.

Would you play TBC over Roth/Lawson or Cunningham? If not then he becomes a backup/situational role player at that point and his cap number is rather high for his role. If they don't sign someone who can replace him then he isn't a backup/role player at that point and his salary is justified.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Don't forget Ninkovich. He's not the most sexy player but he's dependable, durable, and has made some big plays. If you put a decent DE that can rush the passer near him I bet his sack totals would climb.

In Response to Re: Potential cap casualties : What King has said. He was their best OLB at the time and there was no one to take over his role. They were kind of forced to resign him. Also the role player comment comes in to affect only if they sign a Roth or Lawson. Would you play TBC over Roth/Lawson or Cunningham? If not then he becomes a backup/situational role player at that point and his cap number is rather high for his role. If they don't sign someone who can replace him then he isn't a backup/role player at that point and his salary is justified.
    Posted by PatsEng

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

I don't see any of those guys being cut as they are not particularly expensive and fill a role on the team. Kazcur may be vulnerable but they still need depth at tackle and may need to hold on to him for now. 

McGowan is definitely gone. Doesn't free up much but I don't see him staying. 

I'd like to see the Pats go after an OLB and see what they have to pay to get a decent one. If they can get Roth at a reasonable price then they have to make the hard decision. 

I gotta be honest here. I think you see Mankins go if they need to free up space to sign a big free agent. I know you all hate to see that happen. I hate to see that happen as well, but that's the real choice. Sign Mankins or go after Roth. Given that choice I say move Kaz inside and get Roth if possible. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Don't forget Ninkovich. He's not the most sexy player but he's dependable, durable, and has made some big plays. If you put a decent DE that can rush the passer near him I bet his sack totals would climb. In Response to Re: Potential cap casualties :
    Posted by Rockdog1293000

You're right Rock, Nin and Moore are the reasons that TBC as a role player becomes expendable. If they sign Roth, which imo is only a matter of time, then you're backup's are Nin, Moore, Murrell (once resigned), and TBC. Everyone of those players listed are not only cheap but in their roles have excelled. TBC is the better overall player then the 3 listed but when you have him essentially only to rush the passer or to set the edge is TBC that much better at setting the edge then Nin? Or, is TBC that much a greater situation pass rusher then Moore given their salaries? If you can add 1.9 mil of cap space and use that towards resigning players or towards improving other areas of need is that more valuable then having TBC in that backup role? IMO, it depends on what they do with that 1.9mil but say they use it to resigning the young DB's, towards Mankins contract, or to get that top WR in blue and silver then those are much more valuable then just having TBC in a backup role

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

So you think Roth walks in tomorrow and is just the starter? He does not have to earn that spot? Thats how you would run this team if you were coach? The veterans would love playing for you let me tell ya lol TBC and Ninc have both played in THIS system so that get the benefit of the doubt IMO. If Roth comes in and takes the job from them, that is great and im excited but im not just going to assume he is going to take their jobs. Thats all im saying.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

TBC is missing all of pre-season. You can't release or trade an injured player so you have the entire pre-season to evaluate Roth. If you don't think a player like Roth has the ability to come in and take over a position in 4 weeks of pre-season then that's your opinion but I'd have to disagree with it as it seems most around here would.

Given his playing career and the systems he played in, it's not a stretch at all to think he couldn't come in and take the starting job day 1. But thanks for assuming I meant he would come in right away and have the job without the pre-season to earn it.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

All I said is that right now, as in today I would start the guys who have played in this SYSTEM over Roth who has not. I didnt say that he wouldnt start over them after a few weeks of practice and what not, but someone asked me a direct question which would I start Roth over TBC and that was my answer. If TBC was healthy right now I would start him over Roth until  Roth proved he was the better choice. Thats smart coaching. So why im being pushed on this I dont know because thats just good coaching. You cant just assume a free agent will come in and take the job. Sometimes we are wrong about a guy. Do I think we are? No I like Matt Roth im just saying im not going to assume he will take the job. I want to see him do it first. See what im saying?
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

I see you back tracking. You came out trying to call me out about think Roth could eventually take over a starting position without thinking about TBC not being around and healthy for 4-5 weeks if not longer. Of course he's not coming in day 1 taking a starter spot but the fact is given that we know TBC isn't coming back for the pre-season and that Roth has more talent and ability then Nin that it's not a stretch to believe that Roth could take over the starting spot. If that happens then my question becomes valid but instead of thinking about it you instantly dismissed it and decided to insult me with your sarcasm.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

I don't think anyone said Roth walks in to start. He would have to prove he can make an impact. I think most people feel he would improve a position that has been weak. That's all you can hope for. That Pats have signed some real busts at that position obviously.

We like Moore and Nin. Both show promise. That's the problem. You develop players that have promise but the Pats need a bit more impact now. 

Nin was effective the 1st half of the season and he dropped off enough that I'd say he was a non factor and non playmaker from mid year on. 

I think WR is actually a bit higher priority than OLB but I don't think there is a good option in FA. 

Historically speaking the best Pats free agent pick ups have always been lower cost under the radar guys. They have been better off (or would have been better off in a lot of cases) by keeping the in house talent (known quantities). So a good argument could be made to sign what we got and go after some lower cost FA to fill some gaps. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

Ty Warren

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

MVP - King and I were making similiar statements so I hope you can see how I assumed you were talking about me since I started the thread but when you say

"So you think Roth walks in tomorrow and is just the starter? He does not have to earn that spot? That's how you would run this team if you were coach? The veterans would love playing for you let me tell ya lol"

it is insulting to who ever it's directed at. Your sarcasm saying this is how you would run this team, and that veterans would love playing for you then laughing is not suppose to be taken any other way?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Thinking the same as Wiz, Ty Warren if he's not 100%.  He hasn't been the old Ty Warren in a long time and makes big dough.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from geadie5025. Show geadie5025's posts

In Response to Potential cap casualties:
    I was bored at work and decided to go through Miguel's to figure out who could become potential cap casualties. Here's the list I came up with: Nick Kaczur OT/G - With his recent back problems and play that has not justified his high cap number I expect him to be released once they sign another T or they see what Solder can do. Cap savings $3.1 mil TBC OLB - with this latest injury they are forced to bring in a new OLB. Roth sounds like the best bet with Lawson being the darkhorse. Either Roth or Lawson will instantly become a starter across from Cunningham essentially making TBC's role minimized to a backup/situational role. Provided no further injuries to the OLB core before TBC is set to come back I can't imagine them paying his contract for depth expect him to be traded/released a week after he comes back or after PuP'd. Cap savings $1.9 mil James Sanders S - This one would shock me initially given his vet status and all around ability. He is good and solid no matter where you put him but with a log jam at S can his high cap number be spent on other positions of need. I expect BB to see what he has with all those young S's that have been IR'd the last 2 years and if 2-3 show promise with little chance of re-injury Sanders could be traded/released. If he is released I don't expect it until after pre-season game 4. Cap Savings $2.5 mil All other potential cap casualties will have minimum affect on the overall cap so I didn't bother going through the list. However, with only 7.5 mil (not including RFA tenders or rookie contracts but including Mankins tag) that doesn't leave much room for FA signing. Releasing those 3 guys frees up 7.5 mil in cap space making it a total of 15 mil of cap space. That's enough to sign the Rook's, get a number of UDFA's, resign your depth player FA's, go get a Roth/Lawson, and go get a Floyd/Sims-Walker, as well as getting some vet OL/DL players. With a number of expected cuts in the pre-season these vets might not make the cut.
    Posted by PatsEng

Sections
Shortcuts