potential weaknesses of this D.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

potential weaknesses of this D.

just wondering where the chinks in the armor might be. perhaps vs shifty running backs. Ellis might get beat to the edge on his side, speedwise, and Carter, Anderson, and Cunningham are all unexceptional setting the edge. if Spikes is going to man the mlb spot, his lack of range will be exposed. guyton should do okay outside, but mayo might need to play in the middle. who else can play outside in a 43? Fletcher? our dbs are all good against the run, so big runs outside should be limited. Reggie Bush, Spiller from Buf, LT to a much less extent. i'm wondering if Chung could play a lbish role in some packages. linebacker would appear to be the biggest weakness right now, followed by de run defense. not that i would trade this d for any other in the league. pretty freaking exciting.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: potential weaknesses of this D.

yeah outside linebacker could be a problem because if we stay in a 34, they really haven't improved there...I don't know how Carter or Anderson would fare. And if they go the 43 route, we have guys that generally don't play in that system. Mayo and Guyton did it in college, but Fletcher didn't. I don't know if Nincovich has the speed and range for it and Spikes could get exposed alone in the middle. For all the the moves we made (and I like them), there is a lot of questions and I'm sure things that will need to be tweaked and worked out over the course of the season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Anybody know how this udfa is doing in camp? he seems like he has nice potential and a good opportunity here. "The reported signing of linebacker Jeff Tarpinian is definitely an interesting one. At 6'2", 235, he is a little bit undersized compared to the typical 3-4 inside linebacker for the Patriots. However, he has tremendous athleticism, and is stronger than you'd give him credit for (and is willing to take on blocks). He is also effective in coverage. At his Pro Day, he ran a 4.56 second 40 yard dash, 4.1 second shuttle, and a 6.78 second time in the three cone drill. The main concern surrounding Tarpinian is his health: he had a really hard time staying on the field for the Hawkeyes. However, when healthy, he really produced."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I worry a bit about how our ends will do vs. the run

When we play 3-4 we'll have a lot of Wright and Ellis, thats decent.

When we play 4-3 we'll have a lot of Anderson, Cunningham, Moore and Carter at the ends and I don't know how they'll perform. The pass-rush from those 4 should be great tho.

Guyton and Mayo have never asked to be 4-3 OLB's yet... I think they will do ok. Spikes full-time might get his lack of speed picked on.

The coaches seem to be concerned about safety.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: potential weaknesses of this D.:
    [QUOTE]Anybody know how this udfa is doing in camp? he seems like he has nice potential and a good opportunity here. "The reported signing of linebacker Jeff Tarpinian is definitely an interesting one. At 6'2", 235, he is a little bit undersized compared to the typical 3-4 inside linebacker for the Patriots. However, he has tremendous athleticism, and is stronger than you'd give him credit for (and is willing to take on blocks). He is also effective in coverage. At his Pro Day, he ran a 4.56 second 40 yard dash, 4.1 second shuttle, and a 6.78 second time in the three cone drill. The main concern surrounding Tarpinian is his health: he had a really hard time staying on the field for the Hawkeyes. However, when healthy, he really produced."
    Posted by arodrambone[/QUOTE]

eer heard of him, but whenever I see them sign a guy like that I immediately think special teams type of player, however with the possibility of the 43...who knows? No idea how this guy is, but the size and speed is everything you could ask for in a 43 outside linebacker. God knows if we are going to the 43, we need more at that spot.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I'm not concerned as much about our 4-3 LB's....Mayo can play either in our out and do exceptional at either. Guyton has the speed to play the other side, and I think Fletcher can hold it down on the edge as well. Spikes in my mind is the big question mark. He's a tad slow to man the middle by himself as some have said. However, I'm thinking if we shade him with a safety who knows.

I don't know if ACarter, Moore or Anderson can play OLB. I tend to doubt it. MCarter may give us a good look outside as well.

My guess is we'll see Guyton & Mayo outside, maybe Spikes/Fletcher inside, or swap Mayo for Fletcher and we would have a decent LB corps when we line up 3.
    Perhaps our best option would be to use more 4-2-5, where we can bring a safety down.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

If there's any real weakness in the D, it will be the same weakness that currently is popping up all over the NFL in record like numbers, that being health and injury concerns. 

If this group can stay healthy it will be monstrous, but I can't see that happening with such a reduced (or non existant) off season program and the fact that we have so many old veterans on our team. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to potential weaknesses of this D.:
    [QUOTE]just wondering where the chinks in the armor might be. perhaps vs shifty running backs. Ellis might get beat to the edge on his side, speedwise, and Carter, Anderson, and Cunningham are all unexceptional setting the edge. if Spikes is going to man the mlb spot, his lack of range will be exposed. guyton should do okay outside, but mayo might need to play in the middle. who else can play outside in a 43? Fletcher? our dbs are all good against the run, so big runs outside should be limited. Reggie Bush, Spiller from Buf, LT to a much less extent. i'm wondering if Chung could play a lbish role in some packages. linebacker would appear to be the biggest weakness right now, followed by de run defense. not that i would trade this d for any other in the league. pretty freaking exciting.

It's much too early to speculate how good this "D" will be. Much depends on how Haynesworth plays.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to potential weaknesses of this D. :      It's much too early to speculate how good this "D" will be. Much depends on how Haynesworth plays.  
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

That about wraps it up.

If Albert Haynesworth plays as well as he can, this defense will transform itself overnight. He and Wilfork paired up will free up everyone around them to make plays in the running game and pass defense.

Players like Mayo, Spikes, and Chung will blossom in ways they couldn't, simply because they have spent so much time wading through trash and trying to make up for the fact that Ne had to send five or six to get any pressure. In short, the margin for error in the backfield will shrink, and the 'space' to make plays on the ball and ballcarrier (ints & ff's) will grow.

If Haynesworth is a shell of himself, or is mentally erratic, then the defense will only be marginally improved.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

some quality dls are going to get cut. hope most of the young guys are able to make it, so we're not needing to draft more next year. Love is depth at nose, brace might be top dt backup on first two downs, and deadrick is signed for 3 more years, i believe.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

Pretty Simple.  Age (wearing down over full season) and injuries.  Already Haynesworth has missed 3 straight practices, brace is on PUP as usual, Spikes is out, Wright is coming of a serious concussion, bodden coming back from missing a full year.  Mayo missed half a season with knee.  Pats seem to have trouble staying healthy.

Seriously if anything happens to Wilfork, watch out.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

Pretty Simple.  Age (wearing down over full season) and injuries.  Already Haynesworth has missed 3 straight practices, brace is on PUP as usual, Spikes is out, Wright is coming of a serious concussion, bodden coming back from missing a full year.  Mayo missed half a season with knee.  Pats seem to have trouble staying healthy.

Seriously if anything happens to Wilfork, watch out.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Pretty Simple.  Age (wearing down over full season) and injuries.  Already Haynesworth has missed 3 straight practices, brace is on PUP as usual, Spikes is out, Wright is coming of a serious concussion, bodden coming back from missing a full year.  Mayo missed half a season with knee.  Pats seem to have trouble staying healthy. Seriously if anything happens to Wilfork, watch out.
    Posted by Patsman3[/QUOTE]

If anything happens to Troy Polamalu...if anything happens to Clay Matthews...if anything happens to DeMarcus Ware...if anything happens to Darrelle Revis...etc. All teams would be in trouble if they lose key players to injury.

Really guys, it's much too early to project what this seemingly revamped defense can do. It will be a work in progress. How the "D" plays in September isn't nearly as important as how the unit fares in December.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

The stitching in the seams of Vince and Albert's Pants.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: potential weaknesses of this D. : That about wraps it up. If Albert Haynesworth plays as well as he can, this defense will transform itself overnight. He and Wilfork paired up will free up everyone around them to make plays in the running game and pass defense. Players like Mayo, Spikes, and Chung will blossom in ways they couldn't, simply because they have spent so much time wading through trash and trying to make up for the fact that Ne had to send five or six to get any pressure. In short, the margin for error in the backfield will shrink, and the 'space' to make plays on the ball and ballcarrier (ints & ff's) will grow. If Haynesworth is a shell of himself, or is mentally erratic, then the defense will only be marginally improved.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

In a nut shell, you hit the nail right on the head - all these other things really will become moot if this guy doesn't pan out. That's putting a lot of your eggs in one very shaky basket. I would of felt a bit better if some of these free agents were younger or we drafted a defensive front seven player early.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Mike Reiss on Haynesworth not practicing:

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- There have been a lot of questions from followers on Twitter about defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth and missing practice. Haynesworth hasn't been on the field for the last three sessions, and given his reputation, the absence has garnered headlines. That's fair.

This somewhat reminds me of 2007 training camp with Randy Moss.

Moss lit things up early in camp before slightly tweaking his hamstring. The Patriots played in safe, shutting him down until the regular season. There were questions throughout the preseason if Moss would be ready, then in the season opener against the Jets, they were answered with authority when he raced through triple coverage on a long-bomb 51-yard strike.

Haynesworth, like Moss, had a strong start to camp in 2011.

On his first play, he exploded past a blocker in a half-line running drill, blowing up the play in a glimpse of the type of disruption he could create when motivated. There were a few other plays like that before his workload was reduced.

Why was the workload reduced?

I think Tom Curran of Comcast SportsNet was on to something when he reported on Haynesworth's "history of summer knee maintenance" over the weekend, and how that maintenance has probably extended into training camp because of the lockout.

As reported by the Washington Post in 2009, Haynesworth has received an offseason injection of Synvisc, which is similar to natural knee fluid, since his final two years in Tennessee (2007-2008).

Haynesworth was in good enough shape to pass his physical when the Patriots acquired him in a trade, which is important context here. Then in practice, there wasn't anything noticeable that happened from an injury perspective, although Haynesworth certainly seemed to be trying to get his legs under him.

Much like Moss in 2007, my sense is that Haynesworth's absence isn't anything close to a sound-the-alarms situation for Bill Belichick. I think Belichick views it more in the all-important "managing players' health" category following the lockout.

I don't expect to see Haynesworth Thursday night against the Jaguars in the preseason opener, but at this point, I'd be surprised if he's not ready for the season opener Sept. 12 in Miami.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Mike Reiss on Haynesworth not practicing: FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- There have been a lot of questions from followers on Twitter about defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth and missing practice. Haynesworth hasn't been on the field for the last three sessions, and given his reputation, the absence has garnered headlines. That's fair. This somewhat reminds me of 2007 training camp with Randy Moss. Moss lit things up early in camp before slightly tweaking his hamstring. The Patriots played in safe, shutting him down until the regular season. There were questions throughout the preseason if Moss would be ready, then in the season opener against the Jets, they were answered with authority when he raced through triple coverage on a long-bomb 51-yard strike. Haynesworth, like Moss, had a strong start to camp in 2011. On his first play, he exploded past a blocker in a half-line running drill, blowing up the play in a glimpse of the type of disruption he could create when motivated. There were a few other plays like that before his workload was reduced. Why was the workload reduced? I think Tom Curran of Comcast SportsNet was on to something when he reported on Haynesworth's " history of summer knee maintenance " over the weekend, and how that maintenance has probably extended into training camp because of the lockout. As reported by the Washington Post in 2009 , Haynesworth has received an offseason injection of Synvisc, which is similar to natural knee fluid, since his final two years in Tennessee (2007-2008). Haynesworth was in good enough shape to pass his physical when the Patriots acquired him in a trade, which is important context here. Then in practice, there wasn't anything noticeable that happened from an injury perspective, although Haynesworth certainly seemed to be trying to get his legs under him. Much like Moss in 2007, my sense is that Haynesworth's absence isn't anything close to a sound-the-alarms situation for Bill Belichick. I think Belichick views it more in the all-important "managing players' health" category following the lockout. I don't expect to see Haynesworth Thursday night against the Jaguars in the preseason opener, but at this point, I'd be surprised if he's not ready for the season opener Sept. 12 in Miami.
    Posted by apdynasty23[/QUOTE]

There's all kinds of wild speculation going on now. Most of the players aren't anywhere near in game shape. Be patient, and let the pre-season take it's course. We'll have a much better inkling on what's going on with the team by Labor Day.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

daquan bowers, akeem ayers, bruce carter, martez wilson, all would have been better roster upgrades than dowling and vereen. makes me think the apparent 43 change has everything to do with haynesworth. bowers plus wilson would been sweet, or at least flyer on romeus.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from samshile. Show samshile's posts

Hanesworth is busy conditioning. Atkins and treadmill

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

DE-Doesn't matter which side you wan to talk about. Carter or Ellis will be the starters opposite Cunningham. Two of the three are old and could be liablities while Cunningham has to show he can be a difference maker.

LB-If Fletcher, Guyton or Nink don't step up and fill in we could just get attacked.

S-Meriweather is not as good as advertised

Other than that I feel pretty good about the D

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: potential weaknesses of this D. :      If anything happens to Troy Polamalu...if anything happens to Clay Matthews...if anything happens to DeMarcus Ware...if anything happens to Darrelle Revis...etc. All teams would be in trouble if they lose key players to injury.      Really guys, it's much too early to project what this seemingly revamped defense can do. It will be a work in progress. How the "D" plays in September isn't nearly as important as how the unit fares in December.
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Disagree with your point.  First off, I was mentioning all the guys THAT HAVE ALREADY BEEN HURT and if how will they play/are they healed.  Brace is still on PUP and Wright is not practicing.  Bodden is coming of a year layoff.  Pats have been very injury prone the last few years. 

Also I think the Steelers, Packers, and Cowboys survive alot better then the Pats if an injury occurs to Vince vs. the players you metnioned.  Outside of Brady, Vince is the most important person on this team.  The whole D is being revamped around him and if he goes down there is a huge hole in the middle of that D.  (haynesworth wouldnt paly NT in Washington).

So yea do to the age and past history of injuries on the pats i do consider it a potential weakness.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In Response to potential weaknesses of this D.:
    [QUOTE]just wondering where the chinks in the armor might be. perhaps vs shifty running backs. Ellis might get beat to the edge on his side, speedwise, and Carter, Anderson, and Cunningham are all unexceptional setting the edge. if Spikes is going to man the mlb spot, his lack of range will be exposed. guyton should do okay outside, but mayo might need to play in the middle. who else can play outside in a 43? Fletcher? our dbs are all good against the run, so big runs outside should be limited. Reggie Bush, Spiller from Buf, LT to a much less extent. i'm wondering if Chung could play a lbish role in some packages. linebacker would appear to be the biggest weakness right now, followed by de run defense. not that i would trade this d for any other in the league. pretty freaking exciting.

I think it will depend on how much pressure we can put on the QB, and whether we can get off the field on 3rd down.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

as an offense, what do you do when you see this front seven?

Ellis   folk   albert   warren

cunningham mayo  guyton

speed in the lb's,  and power up front.  If they decide to blitz a 5th guy who is there to block them.  Albert and folk will certainly tie up 3 guys between the 2 of them...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogbones. Show dogbones's posts

potential weaknesses of this D, as compared to last years?.  

the only relative potential is the # of points this team wins by per game.

Sections
Shortcuts