Power Ratings, Entering Week 8

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Re: Power Ratings, Entering Week 8

In Response to Re: Power Ratings, Entering Week 8:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Power Ratings, Entering Week 8 :      Bolt does have a point. For some reason, the Colts have not been able to handle his Chargers over the past several years.
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]
    The colts did beat the bolts last year in SD.  Lets not forget.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Power Ratings, Entering Week 8 : Strong words from the fan of a 3-3 team.  Please explain the excellence of 3-3.
    Posted by underdogg[/QUOTE]

Please explain 2-0
    Playoffs

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mick48. Show Mick48's posts

[QUOTE]Not real big on power ratings... reminds me too much of the BCS. I think you pointed out your own flaw.  Unless and until the Broncos fall behind the Patriots, they win the tiebreaker. And picking which bad team is the worst is just painful.  I choose the Titans because I think the Bucs team the Pats faced Sunday would beat them.  The Lions have won a game and shouldn't be last under the Bucs and Titans.  Cleveland is just plain awful - I'm pretty certain they've set the league back 10 years. -Titans -Bucs -Lions -Cleveland -Washington (2-4, but organizationally defunct) Anyhow, the only power rankings that matter are the ones decided in the playoffs.
    Posted by NickC1188[/QUOTE]

I have been a Pat's fan all my life but lets get real.  We only beat one good team so we have not earned the 4 spot in the power rankings.  We feasted on 2 of the worst teams in the NFL. If we lose our next game which is very possible and the Jets win we are in second place and out of the playoffs at that point.  I would be very happy if we were in the 4 spot or better after our next 5 games.
    GO PATS !!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Power Ratings, Entering Week 8 : Please explain 2-0 Playoffs
    Posted by jbolted[/QUOTE]

Past history.  Lets work in the here and now. 

Currently the colts are tracking their 8th straight playoff appearance and 10th in the last 11.  The Chargers are tracking a post holiday vacation anywhere their money will take them. 

With 5 tough remaining games and a record 3.5 games behind the division leader, the chargers can ill afford to lose more than 2 games over the next 10.  The good news is they've also got 5 cupcakes. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Power Ratings, Entering Week 8 : had to work a little to find reason in that one, huh?

No. Actually the logic should be obvious to any objective fan.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Power Ratings, Entering Week 8 : Actually as a power ranking thread comparing the colts to the pats is relevant, especially since within the thread you put your pats above the colts.   As for a number one ranking, I have never said the colts should be #1.  Without a doubt the saints should be there.  I'd put the colts at 3 and if you want the vikes there and the colts 4, thats fine, but not the pats above the colts.    As for comparing the colts and pats, the record of the opponents that the pats have beaten is 10-22.  Is that really a better record than the record of the colt opponents.  As far as Seattle being one of the worst three worst teams in the league, I disagree.  Detroit, Tampa (one of your opponents that is certainly worse than seattle and may be worse than St. Louis), Cleveland, Oakland, and KC are all worse and you could argue Washington and Carolina may be worse.   So, first, by indicating that Seattle was worse than Tampa is only homerism.   Then, you went on to say that the colts beat a slumping Arizona team.  Now I don't know how that could be the case when Arizona won on the road by 14 the prior week, but then you've shown that your mind works in mysterious and not always accurate ways.  Additionally, the Cards had all of their playmakers, and they have not lost a game since.  Homerism Then suggesting that Baltimore is very good when they struggled at home to beat only defeated KC (The teams were tied with 5 minutes to go in the 4th), and barely beat a mediocre San Diego team, and have lost 3 straight is only attempting to make NE look better.  I don't care where you put Indy in your (and yours alone) rankings.  Put Indy 31 if you like, but if you do that, in your rankings NE better be 32.

Congatulations! You wrote 8 rambling paragraphs of colts rah-rah but never answered either of the questions that I posed and competely ignored the ground rules I set.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Your ground rules? OK, master of nothing.  Please reiterate your ground rules in the thread to which I responded. 

I stated my case very well and have done so throughout the thread.  Feel free to reread if you can't remember.  These posts and my response do answer your questions. 

Now if you are thinking of another post that you wrote, well I did not respond to that.  Would you like me to?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Power Ratings, Entering Week 8 : No. Actually the logic should be obvious to any objective fan.
    Posted by unclealfie[/QUOTE]
    objective fan - oxymoron?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Power Ratings, Entering Week 8 : The colts did beat the bolts last year in SD.  Lets not forget.

Showing your bias here, Dogg. Lets' not forget that the Colts lost to a mediocre Charger team last year in a rematch...when it counted. For whatever reason, the Bolts seem to have the Colts' number. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Power Ratings, Entering Week 8 :      Showing your bias here, Dogg. Lets' not forget that the Colts lost to a mediocre Charger team last year in a rematch...when it counted. For whatever reason, the Bolts seem to have the Colts' number. 
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]
    I concur.  You are right.  I'll say this however, I would welcome an opportunity in the playoffs much more against the Chargers this year than the Pats.

Scifres will never have a punting day like he did.  We won't have to worry that our 12-4 record sends us to 8-8 SD.  And Kenton Keith is no longer around to drop a gift pass at the 5 which turns into an INT.

If it sounds like I am making excuses, it may be because I am.  Coming to terms with those 2 losses have been difficult.  And that does not take anything from SD.  They were a good team, but the ball did not "bounce the colts way" in either of those games.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Power rankings do not win football games and these all turn into more of a pi**ing contest than anything else among fans.  Let's harken back to the 2007 season...

Pats did not lose a game until the SB, finishing 18-1.  By all rational accounts, does that ONE loss to a 10-6 team make that 10-6 team the best team in the NFL that season?  Most are going to say yes, as most hated the Pats and wanted to see them lose.  If the Steelers, Colts, or any other team were in the place of the Pats that year, we would have seen many arguments the Giants got lucky and the best team in football only lost one game. The Giants played the game of their lifetime in that game, everything worked in their favor including many miraculous plays.  The Pats beat the Giants comfortably in their house the last game of the 2007 season and the Giants played, by all accounts, the most incredible string of games in the playoffs that have ever been seen.  They, too a degree, lucked out in their games against the Cowboys and Packers to get to the SB.  They played well, true, but, I saw that team get more breaks that I have ever seen in that run.  In the end, the Pats were doomed by that oft said phrase..  " karma seems to be following the Giants. "  It was one of those things that can happen.  If a rematch were to have occurred between these two teams that year, it wouldn't surprise me that the Pats would have smoked the Giants in a rematch.  A great team can have a sub-par game and it doesn't make them no longer a great team.  Power ranking are a popularity contest, that's all. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Power Ratings, Entering Week 8 : I concur.  You are right.  I'll say this however, I would welcome an opportunity in the playoffs much more against the Chargers this year than the Pats. Scifres will never have a punting day like he did.  We won't have to worry that our 12-4 record sends us to 8-8 SD.  And Kenton Keith is no longer around to drop a gift pass at the 5 which turns into an INT. If it sounds like I am making excuses, it may be because I am.  Coming to terms with those 2 losses have been difficult.  And that does not take anything from SD.  They were a good team, but the ball did not "bounce the colts way" in either of those games. AGAIN

Scifres is the best punter in the league. He has quality games every week. Last week for example a 57 yarder with no return. I also like how you throw in the 'were' a good team statement at the end there dogg. The Chargers played better than your Colts last week. Could've put up 50 in KC while giving up only 1 score and 200 yards on defense. They're coming around. I noticed your Colts gave up 300 to STL, the worst OLINE in the league. Steven Jackson rushed for 134? Against good teams this will end up costing the Colts in JAN. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

#'s 4 and 5 render the your list irrelavent.  Sorry but a Zero loss team who has beaten a 2 loss team cannot be ranked below them.  I don't care about your "who do you want coming to town" side of things, I care about what has happened on the field.  Sorry but that is just homerism weakness.  I still think the Cowboys are the 3rd best team in that division.  I know the Gmen have lost 2 straight but that doesn't change the fact they went into Dallas and won.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Power Ratings, Entering Week 8 : Scifres is the best punter in the league. He has quality games every week. Last week for example a 57 yarder with no return. I also like how you throw in the 'were' a good team statement at the end there dogg. The Chargers played better than your Colts last week. Could've put up 50 in KC while giving up only 1 score and 200 yards on defense. They're coming around. I noticed your Colts gave up 300 to STL, the worst OLINE in the league. Steven Jackson rushed for 134? Against good teams this will end up costing the Colts in JAN. 
    Posted by jbolted[/QUOTE]
    Jbolt - I will be very willing to admit my mistake about the bolts being a good team by the end of the year if, in fact, that turns out to be the case.  I am still eating personal crow over my prediction that Denver would s uck. 

Scifres is one of the best in the league.  He is good, but last year's playoff game against the colts had to have been one of his best, if not his best, ever.  It is not always about distance.  He pinned the colts inside the 10 like 4 or 5 times and some were inside the 5. 

Finally, projecting who is better in a given week when the colts and chargers play different teams is meaningless. 

As for the colts run D, it is not the best.  Never has been.  They are undersized on the interior, BUT Jackson ran for only 33 yards in the first half.  The colts went in 21-3.  In the second half, the colts turned their pass rush loose which opened lanes for Jackson's big gains.  134 yards in a 42-6 loss is meaningless.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

Underchick:

I love how you want to live in the here and now:

You constantly discuss how in past meetings the Colts have beaten teams to help explain why they don't stink now, which we all know thay do.

Now you say, when Bolts brings up a true statement, that the past a-- whippings the bolts put on your sorry a-- team do not count

Gotta pick a side doggy

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Casportsfan. Show Casportsfan's posts

A fairly balanced list, although I am not sure how you can put the Patriots, who have beaten only 1 team with a winning record, ahead of Minnesota and the Broncos, each of whom owns a better record than the Pats . . . . the broncos are 5-0 and beat the Pats.  That means they are two games up in the loss column and already proved who was better in head to head competition.  Is this slot really even debateable??

Real test is to see how the Pats fair against Indy and New Orleans, who are really the only two legitimate NFL contending teams left on the schedule.  It's somewhat puzzling how people on this board continually reference the 2-4 Dolphins, with Chad Henne, as a test.  Any team with a #4 ranking in a power schedule should sweep that series.

#1 Saints

#2 Colts

#3 Vikings

#4 Broncos

#5 Steelers (Simply out of respect that they won the superbowl, who is playing  
         QB, and their defense)
    #6  Bengals, Pats, Ravens, Cardinals etc. etc. etc., all about the same 
         mid-level divisional playoff type teams.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Casportsfan. Show Casportsfan's posts

"
    AgcsBill wrote:

"Power rankings do not win football games and these all turn into more of a pi**ing contest than anything else among fans.  Let's harken back to the 2007 season... Pats did not lose a game until the SB, finishing 18-1.  By all rational accounts, does that ONE loss to a 10-6 team make that 10-6 team the best team in the NFL that season?  Most are going to say yes, as most hated the Pats and wanted to see them lose.  If the Steelers, Colts, or any other team were in the place of the Pats that year, we would have seen many arguments the Giants got lucky and the best team in football only lost one game. The Giants played the game of their lifetime in that game, everything worked in their favor including many miraculous plays.  The Pats beat the Giants comfortably in their house the last game of the 2007 season and the Giants played, by all accounts, the most incredible string of games in the playoffs that have ever been seen.  They, too a degree, lucked out in their games against the Cowboys and Packers to get to the SB.  They played well, true, but, I saw that team get more breaks that I have ever seen in that run.  In the end, the Pats were doomed by that oft said phrase..  " karma seems to be following the Giants. "  It was one of those things that can happen.  If a rematch were to have occurred between these two teams that year, it wouldn't surprise me that the Pats would have smoked the Giants in a rematch.  A great team can have a sub-par game and it doesn't make them no longer a great team.  Power ranking are a popularity contest, that's all. 
    Posted by agcsbill"

Uhh, that ONE game that they lost happened to be the superbowl. In general, the NFL schedules the superbowl to settle the debate of who is the best team.  I know it's a bizarre concept, but the trophy is actually given to the team that wins the game.

I hate to tell you this, but a week earlier the San Diego Chargers were only down 14-12 late in the 4th quarter to the Pats with no Thomlinson and an injured Merriman and Rivers.  So, while the Giants win was a bit suprising, it wasn't really inconceivable.  

The first thing that I noticed, which I actually said allowed before the game was, "Brady looks scared coming out of the tunnel".  And if you're not a homer, you'd probably agree.  The pressure of 19-0 got to him and the entire team.  If the arrogance of the team, coaching staff, and fanbase hadn't fueled the pursuit of perfection and caused the team to treat every game like it WAS the superbowl, maybe the Pats would have won.  MAYBE.

MAYBE because Brady got pounded the entire game dude.  That's not luck.  That's not something that just happens once when two teams play . . . . .it happens when one team is superior upfront to another team.  By that point in the season the Giants were . . . . . Get over it, THE BETTER TEAM WON.   

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]Underchick: I love how you want to live in the here and now: You constantly discuss how in past meetings the Colts have beaten teams to help explain why they don't stink now, which we all know thay do. Now you say, when Bolts brings up a true statement, that the past a-- whippings the bolts put on your sorry a-- team do not count Gotta pick a side doggy
    Posted by gmbill[/QUOTE]
    Gumby -

Ash whippings, I don't know.  If they were, then the colts/pats rivalry is no longer, because 4 of 5 close wins for the colts  (similar to colts/ bolts) represents nothing less than that.  So which will it be Gumby?  Were they ash whoppin's or not?

Current season games are meaningful to the quality of current year teams. 
    I said the bolts were good, but at 3-3 they are currently mediocre.  Can't beat decent teams but do beat bad ones.  They are nothing better than a C in my grade book at this time. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Power Ratings, Entering Week 8 : Jbolt - I will be very willing to admit my mistake about the bolts being a good team by the end of the year if, in fact, that turns out to be the case.  I am still eating personal crow over my prediction that Denver would s uck.  Scifres is one of the best in the league.  He is good, but last year's playoff game against the colts had to have been one of his best, if not his best, ever.  It is not always about distance.  He pinned the colts inside the 10 like 4 or 5 times and some were inside the 5.  Finally, projecting who is better in a given week when the colts and chargers play different teams is meaningless.  As for the colts run D, it is not the best.  Never has been.  They are undersized on the interior, BUT Jackson ran for only 33 yards in the first half.  The colts went in 21-3.  In the second half, the colts turned their pass rush loose which opened lanes for Jackson's big gains.  134 yards in a 42-6 loss is meaningless.

Never, I mean never, eat your personal crow.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

LMAO!!   Still LMAO!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Jintsfan, Casportsfan... it is what it is....   it's in the history books.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Power Ratings, Entering Week 8 : Great as always, Tex! While I think you are putting my Giants too far down the list, the fears I had are coming to the surface. Thay are down a starter at LB and two on the backline and that makes them very vulnerable to passing offenses right now, ie: Cards and Saints. This also puts undue pressure on the front four to get the QB, but they have also been average there. Where is my boy OSI? This guy averaged 14 sacks 3 years in a row and was making an early case for Canton; now he has-what, 3 or 4 sacks in 7 games? Not getting it done!

RESPONSE: Amen! The "D" is not getting it done. For whatever reason, their front seven is not getting pressure on opposing passers anymore. Their injuries are no excuse. They still have Osi, Justin Tuck, and Mathias Kiwanuka. Where I see them hurting is at DT. Cofield and Fred Robbins aren't getting the push in the middle that they once did. Both DTs are coming off offseason surgery. Perhaps they are not at 100%? The return of Chris Canty may help. They also undoubtedly miss former DC Steve Spagnuolo.   

Eli has also been inconsistent after a strong start, and they are still beaten up up a bit at WR.

RESPONSE: Have to wonder if that foot injury is affecting Eli.
         WR was thought to be a weak spot for the Giants going into the season. Mario Manningham has been a pleasant surprise. But now, he's got a bum shoulder. Steve Smith is a good player, but is not #1 receiver material. Smith is a slot-receiver type, best used underneath. Rookie Hakeem Nicks has the physical skills to emerge, but needs seasoning. In short, the Giants still miss Plax. 

Jacobs got rolling last week, and Danny ware will be back, which are great, but Ahmad Bradshaw has a broken bone in his foot and will not practice. Injuries are part if the game and they are certainly a large part of the Jints troubles now but they are also underperforming lately and that has to change.

RESPONSE: Jacobs is a bull when healthy. But, he's rarely healthy. No doubt the broken bone in Bradshaw's foot is taking some toll. The other thing is the play of their OL. Teams have been able to pressure Eli of late...perhaps in part because the Giants have been playing from behind of late. RT Reggie McKenzie has been hampered by injury.

Overall, I'd rather get the inconsistencies and injuries happening now and hopefully be healthy and clicking in Dec and Jan. As I've said all along, it's weeks 12-16 and the Playoffs I worry about a lot more than the early season or week-to-week.

RESPONSE: Unless the "D" gets untracted, there may be no playoff for the Giants.

Tough one against a Philly team that always plays them tough this week, too. I am hoping for a complete effort and a bounce back win.
    Posted by JintsFan[/QUOTE]

Todays' game is huge for the G-men. Philly has an explosive pass offense. The Giants must be able to apply pressure to Donavan McNabb. In addition, its' important for their offense to establish the run. Look for Philly to try to take that away...and make Eli beat them over the top.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Power Ratings, Entering Week 8 : Scifres is one of the best in the league.  He is good, but last year's playoff game against the colts had to have been one of his best, if not his best, ever.  It is not always about distance.  He pinned the colts inside the 10 like 4 or 5 times and some were inside the 5.  

The Colts playoff loss last year to SD marked the first time I've ever seen a punter dominate a game. Scifres was sensational.