Pre-Game discussion: Patriots at Broncos

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Irkillendem. Show Irkillendem's posts

Re: Pre-Game discussion: Patriots at Broncos

I think the Pats win big too, take away the run game and they Broncos are as good as beat. I think Denver's D is a bit overrated too, Dallas' o line wasn't exactly amazing last weekend and we know about the other crappy teams they beat to get to 4-0.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Josh McDaniels has had precious little time to get all the players he really wants.  He's happy enough getting rid of Cutler for Orton and a good future draft pick.  In the end, the Broncos are going down.

The Broncos have the best home field advantage in the NFL.  They have 20% less air to breathe at that altitude.  It wears down the opposition.  The screaming fans are helpful too, especially for a 4-0 team.

The Broncos will have a limping, unpracticed running back even if he plays.  A damaged running game is not a good omen when playing BB.  Not that the Patriots don't have the deepest D-Line in the NFL.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leon98. Show Leon98's posts

I don't know the pats schedule like all you guys know the Jets schedule but wasn't Welker on the sidelines for 2 games this year supporting his teammates?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

Dumervil
    Dumervil
    Dumervil

If the OL can keep him away from Brady, we'll win. This guy's been a beast with 8 sacks in the 1st quarter of the season.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

I have the Pats winning this one 24 - 14. I see defenses controlling most of the game difference is Orton will make more mistakes than Brady.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

In Response to Re: Pre-Game discussion: Patriots at Broncos:
    [QUOTE]after reviewing game footage from all 4 of their wins, it's obvious that this is the most Patriot-like team that any belicheck protege has been able to coach up thus far.  offensively they run a precision short pass attack similar to the 03, 04 patriots team with a lot of 3,4 and 5 receiver sets coupled with a definitive ablility to gain hard nosed ground yards from many formations, utilizing tight ends dan graham and tony shefter well. defensively they run a pretty basic 3-4 and get pass penetration with superior rushing skills from linebackers andra davis and elvis dumerville, while being able to sit  on receivers in man with stingy corners champ bailey and renaldo hill, allowing their safeties to be creative in blitz and zone schemes, which suits brian dawkins perfectly. in order to defeat the broncos the patriots have to beat them at their own game which means virtual mistake free ball on offense, utilizing underneath routes and maintaining a healthy commitment to the run.  the bl;ocking of running backs will be key as denver likes to blitz corners and safeties from time to time.  tackles matt light and nick kaczer must have stand out games against what is perhaps the best outside rush in the game.  defensively, sound tackling is paramount as receivers ed royal, brandon stokely and brandon marshall are all exeptional runners after the catch.  knowshon moreno is a threat receving and running as well.  holding lanes and keeping to respective responsibilities is key.  all of denvers big plays have come from capitalizing on some garbage tackling and blown assignments, so they can be contained by playing sound fundamental ball.  with the quick strike pass attack, i wouldn't expect to see nearly the amount of blitzing as we did against baltimore, as they will probably give orton his underneath stuff and try to pull out what i expect to be a low scoring, hard hitting, close ballgame. final score- Patriots 17, Broncos 14.
    Posted by beastplant[/QUOTE]

Wow, a post with real insight and analysis.  Nicely done.  You really think Denver's pass rush is that good?  I've never heard anything good about Elvis Dummervil before this year.  How has Denver done against the run this year?  In our game last year, Denver's run defense was non-existent.  Can we count on it again this Sunday?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastplant. Show beastplant's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pre-Game discussion: Patriots at Broncos : Wow, a post with real insight and analysis.  Nicely done.  You really think Denver's pass rush is that good?  I've never heard anything good about Elvis Dummervil before this year.  How has Denver done against the run this year?  In our game last year, Denver's run defense was non-existent.  Can we count on it again this Sunday?
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

thanks theymightypatriotz.  one of the most significant stories of 09, of which there are so many, is the stark turnaround not only of denvers' defensive play, but the fact that they also changed their entire philosophy from 4-3 to 3-4.  last year dummervil was a 4-3 d-end, this year an outside linebacker in a 3-4 with 8 sacks in 4 games.  the broncos, after having an anemic defense in 08, are allowing less than 7 points a game this year.  are those stats exagerated due to the quality of their opponents (bengals, browns, raiders, cowboys?) most likely, but by how much.  this weekend in denver will be a truly revealing contest for both sidelines.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

I just can't wait to see all the former Pats. Let's see, LaMont Jordan, Jabar Gaffney, Chad Jackson, Daniel Graham, Russ Hochstein, Lonie Paxton, LeKevin Smith, and I think Brandon Gorin is on the team too. Am I missing anyone?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

Hey Leon1976  How sre the saints doing??

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

It sounds like they play an attacking 3-4 like the Chargers and Ravens (regularly rushing the outside linebackers).  I don't think you get 8 sacks by accident, but it's tough to tell.  I'm interested to see if Dumervil is for real - I think we already know what to expect from Matt Light (good for the most part, but vulnerable to the speed rush).  I also wonder if Dumervil can hold his ground and set the edge against a decent rushing attack.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I just went looking to see who Denver beat for their 4-0.  I'm more impressed with them beating Cincinatti (3-1) than anyone else.  Of course they were losing that game and got a miracle.

Dallas (2-2) really struggled against the Carolina Panthers until desperation time gave them a good cushion, they were losing to the Giants after 3 quarters (and lost), and Tampa Bay is 0-4.  That's why I don't respect Dallas that much this year.

In any case, Denver squeaked out a victory against Dallas, and it was kind of close.  Denver also beat two of the league's primo bunnies, Oakland and Cleveland.  Do these victories count?  Yes in the playoff seedings, but not too much in my book. 

I conclude that Denver has not convincingly beat anybody of good quality in the last four games.  They have pretty much struggled and lucked out against the only two middle-ranked teams that they have faced.  For 4-0, this is not much of a resume.  Nor is Denver's 8-8 record from last year convincing.  At least Baltimore had an 11-5 record from last year, and at least Baltimore won a pretty tough away game versus San Diego this year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastplant. Show beastplant's posts

tampa and denver haven't played this year paul, but there's no doubt denver has had 4 of the weakest teams in the league with OAK, CLE,DAL, and CIN (who is the best of the bunch).  strength of schedule can be misleading tho.  i always refer back to the great niners teams of the eighties.  all those championships coming from a team that played in the perenial AA league afc west.  one can overestimate that 4-0 record, but one can underestimate it by focusing too much on the opponents as well.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from paob. Show paob's posts

In Response to Pre-Game discussion: Patriots at Broncos:
    [QUOTE]I figured I'd make a place where we can get a head start on discussing the Patriots at the Broncos. Kyle Orton as a quarterback - weakness (career passer rating of 74.1)?  Or strength (25-12 W-L in 37 career starts; 97.7 passer rating this year; 5 TD's, 0 INT's, 69/117 - 59%) Broncos' receivers versus our new-look secondary - Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal form one of the most athletically talented tandems in football and both can torch you deep; Brandon Stokley is a good slot receiver; Leigh Bodden has looked up to the task thus far, but it should be interesting to see how Springs, Wilhite, and Butler do.  Merriweather and Sanders may also be tested.  I hope our open field tackling does better than Dallas' did. Brady versus Champ Bailey; Moss versus Bailey - the last time the Patriots visited Denver in the AFC Divisional playoffs in early 2005, Bailey almost took one to the house; a battle between Moss and Bailey should be good, especially with Bailey coming off of the momentum of two big passes defensed last week to win the game.  I bet Bailey gets extra motivation to falling from the limelight with the rise of Nmandi Asomugha and Darrelle Revis. Elvis Dumervil versus Matt Light - Dumervil has started the year off quickly with 5 sacks already; Light got beat last week for a strip sack Junior Seau 3.0 - he just can't quit the Patriots, and I for one am happy to have him back; it should be interesting to see what he can bring to the table on defense and whether the Patriots are able to show more looks to confuse Orton with him on the roster... but the signing has yet to be announced Ty Warren vs. Ryan Clady - this should be one heck of a matchup between two young players who are excellent at their craft; I've seen Clady touted by some as the best young left tackle in the league; Warren came up big on 3rd and 1 against the Ravens and is a stud Maroney sighting? - his dancing is inexcusable (and it was particularly clear on his kickoff returns last week).  I'm looking for him to step up this week if he has the chance because Mike Reiss reports in his mailbag that Fred Taylor is a little beat up. Galloway sighting? - I'm intrigued to see how the veteran reacts to his first ever healthy scratch from a football game.  Does he come out and torch the Broncos for 100+yds?  Does he implode?  We'll see, and soon.  Bill Belichick vs. Josh McDaniels - I'm just guessing, but I bet McDaniels still has much he could have still learned from Belichick, whose lifetime of football analysis is unrivaled.  I'm especially interested in seeing what the Patriots do against the Denver offense, which I think is loaded.
    Posted by NickC1188[/QUOTE]

Let the chess match begin!!! There are always fireworks when these teams play. The Broncos are loaded with expatriates. MacDaniels' has them undefeated and appears to have taken control of that locker room after some pre-season missteps. They have a solid receiving core and a QB who hasn't made much errors yet. 
    As for the Patriots, I don't know what to make of Laurence Maroney. I've defended him in the past, but it doesn't seem he's learning from Taylor. As a veteran, hopefully with some pride - you'd think/hope Galloway wants to have a great game and prove Bill was mistaken in benching him. As for Light - we all realized the OL was not as good as advertised and the SB against the Giants was proof positive. But that's the past. Bill is known for taking away the other team's best offensive threat, we'll see come Sunday how Josh parries that move.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

[QUOTE]I just can't wait to see all the former Pats. Let's see, LaMont Jordan, Jabar Gaffney, Chad Jackson, Daniel Graham, Russ Hochstein, Lonie Paxton, LeKevin Smith, and I think Brandon Gorin is on the team too. Am I missing anyone?
    Posted by IndianaPatsFan[/QUOTE]

Isn't Bledsoe on their team?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

In Response to Pre-Game discussion: Patriots at Broncos:
    [QUOTE]I figured I'd make a place where we can get a head start on discussing the Patriots at the Broncos.

Overall the Broncos defense is ranked third. They're holding QBs to an average of 56.0 passer rating. They're only giving up 77.3 rushing yards per game. They held Cincinatti to a touchdown at Cinci. I thought the defense was also very good against Dallas. I think Dallas and Cinci were both quality wins and in the end it doesn't matter that they beat Cinci on a fluke play; they kept it close enough for that to be possible.  They have 15 sacks so far, second in the league and they are for real. This is not the equivalent of last year's Buffalo Bills. They have defensive playmakers like Bailey and Dumervil. I'm less concerned with individual matchups in this game since both teams win with team play and not stud play.

Denver runs the ball well meaning its offensive line makes holes for its backs. The passing game isn't as good but Orton doesn't turn the ball over. The offense is good enough to win games; kind of like the Pats.

The Patriots will attack this team by mixing formations and running out of passing formations like the shotgun. They will run on third downs since they're showing that they'll go for it on fourth and short situations and they also want to use clock whenever possible on offense. They will definintely have a game plan but I'm sure the play calling will be fluid taking advantage of having fresh running backs to throw in every series or so and wrong-footing Denver as much as this excessively studied offense can do. On defense the Pats will do the exact same thing as last week I hope. I'll take that effort any day.

On offense the Broncos will try to be Jets, establish the run and then open up the game with play-action and wide receiver screens. Denver knows if the game is close and they have the ball at the end of the game they can win.

All in all I'm confident the Pats can win this game but I wouldn't be surprised if Denver keeps it close, takes advantage of a turnover and wins by three or four points. If NE can't get at least ten points a half I think they'll lose this game. If Brady is on in this game the Pats win easy.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

In Response to Pre-Game discussion: Patriots at Broncos : [QUOTE]I figured I'd make a place where we can get a head start on discussing the Patriots at the Broncos. Overall the Broncos defense is ranked third. They're holding QBs to an average of 56.0 passer rating. They're only giving up 77.3 rushing yards per game. They held Cincinatti to a touchdown at Cinci. I thought the defense was also very good against Dallas. I think Dallas and Cinci were both quality wins and in the end it doesn't matter that they beat Cinci on a fluke play; they kept it close enough for that to be possible.  They have 15 sacks so far, second in the league and they are for real. This is not the equivalent of last year's Buffalo Bills. They have defensive playmakers like Bailey and Dumervil. I'm less concerned with individual matchups in this game since both teams win with team play and not stud play. Denver runs the ball well meaning its offensive line makes holes for its backs. The passing game isn't as good but Orton doesn't turn the ball over. The offense is good enough to win games; kind of like the Pats. The Patriots will attack this team by mixing formations and running out of passing formations like the shotgun. They will run on third downs since they're showing that they'll go for it on fourth and short situations and they also want to use clock whenever possible on offense. They will definintely have a game plan but I'm sure the play calling will be fluid taking advantage of having fresh running backs to throw in every series or so and wrong-footing Denver as much as this excessively studied offense can do. On defense the Pats will do the exact same thing as last week I hope. I'll take that effort any day. On offense the Broncos will try to be Jets, establish the run and then open up the game with play-action and wide receiver screens. Denver knows if the game is close and they have the ball at the end of the game they can win. All in all I'm confident the Pats can win this game but I wouldn't be surprised if Denver keeps it close, takes advantage of a turnover and wins by three or four points. If NE can't get at least ten points a half I think they'll lose this game. If Brady is on in this game the Pats win easy.
    Posted by TheFantasyBaron

Nice post!  I think the Bengals offense was legit with Palmer, Ochocinco, Coles, Andre Caldwell, and Cedric Benson reborn, so holding them to so few points was, in my view, legitimate.  I also think that Dallas' running game is legitimate, even if Romo may have forgotten that it was fourth down at the end of the game.  Dallas has one of the biggest offensive lines in the game and three legitimate running backs (Barber, Felix Jones, Tashard Choice).  They also still have a decent group of receivers (Witten from tight end, Roy E. Williams, Miles Austin, Patick Crayton).  I don't think they should be so easily dismissed unless/until proven otherwise.  I particularly worry about Dumervil running right by Matt Light and think he should be tested to see if he can anchor against the run or if he just runs upfield like ESPN's Gregg Estabrook noted Terrelle Suggs did on the Sammy Morris touchdown last week.

I liked the effort and I don't think Orton is as good of a QB as Flacco, but their receivers are legit.  I'd like to see them keep tipping passes because at some point Patriots defenders are going to start being in position to catch them.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

Should be the game of the week.  Everyone seems to agree that Denver is not the strongest of the 4-0 teams, but it's obvious that they've gotten much better this year.  They believe they can win, which is always a challenge for a team that had such a disasterous end to the season.  I'm hoping NE can pull this one out and leave my Colts as the sole undefeated team in the AFC.  (It might only be for a couple of hours, since that Tennessee game is going to be tougher than most imagine.  Think about it: the Colts can't defend the Wildcat, and the Titans can throw an unknown form of the Wildcat at the Colts that features Chris Johnson, LenDale White, and Vince Young.  Danger!)  At any rate, I'm going to say that the Patriots knock off Denver 24-17.  It's one of those games where I'll be happy no matter what happens since I'd like both NE and Denver to get a loss and one of them will...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DenverBroncosRock. Show DenverBroncosRock's posts

Broncos will take it hands down!!!

The Broncos will fare a lot better than the Patsy's this weekend, it will be very cold in Denver so dress warm, the Patriots will lose this game and the Broncos will go on a great run, the Bronco Nation can feel it, change is good from the head coach to the new players we have the best set-up in the NFL to win all of our games and win the Superbowl. So come on Patriots fans, jump on the Bronco Nation bandwagon and cheer with us.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

ah no Leon

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

Re: Broncos will take it hands down!!!

In Response to Broncos will take it hands down!!!:
    [QUOTE]The Broncos will fare a lot better than the Patsy's this weekend, it will be very cold in Denver so dress warm, the Patriots will lose this game and the Broncos will go on a great run, the Bronco Nation can feel it, change is good from the head coach to the new players we have the best set-up in the NFL to win all of our games and win the Superbowl. So come on Patriots fans, jump on the Bronco Nation bandwagon and cheer with us.
    Posted by DenverBroncosRock[/QUOTE]

First of all New England is located way up above the Mason-Dixon line. If you look at a map of the US it all the way on the right top. Its cold up here a lot. But thinks for the tip I'll let the Pats know via my red glowing Pat Phone that they need to bring their Under Armour.

For the prediction I'll give you a 2, for the hazing I'll give you a 2 and for originality I'll give you a 1.

Here's your first test, beat the Pats convincingly and your dreams may come true. Then again Orton might turn back into a pumpkin this close to Halloween.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: Broncos will take it hands down!!!

In Response to Broncos will take it hands down!!!:
    [QUOTE]The Broncos will fare a lot better than the Patsy's this weekend, it will be very cold in Denver so dress warm, the Patriots will lose this game and the Broncos will go on a great run, the Bronco Nation can feel it, change is good from the head coach to the new players we have the best set-up in the NFL to win all of our games and win the Superbowl. So come on Patriots fans, jump on the Bronco Nation bandwagon and cheer with us.
    Posted by DenverBroncosRock[/QUOTE]

So, no mention of WHY the Broncos will beat the Patriots other than "..it will be very cold in Denver..."?  Patriots play in cold weather too.  That is quite a boast that your Broncos have the best set-up in the NFL to win it all.  How so?  My two cents...

They have started out great, few mistakes, the D is playing quite well.  Your offense isn't awe inspiring.  As mentioned in this string, the Broncos caught a break in the Bengals game with the tipped pass for the winning TD.  The Cowboys game, can't say if it is all Broncos or the Cowboys actually just aren't playing well.  But, in the end, you can't take away from what they've done to date.

As for the Patriots, they have now defeated two teams, back to back, that many pundits in the nation, fans too, picked to lose.  The defense is a lot better than expected holding a Ravens offense, which was second in the league in scoring at the time of that game, to only 14 points.  The offense is becoming more balanced and the Broncos will have to figure out which way the Pats go.  All in all, the Pats improving game to game bodes well for a Pats win in Mile High.  If the Broncos have an advantage, it is their 12th man, the fans, they are loud and boisterous!