(Pre-season) Game Thoughts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

(Pre-season) Game Thoughts

I know it's just pre-season, but here are a few things that stood out to me in the Pats' pre-season opener:

(1) Julian Edelman - I thought he did a good job.  There were times where he didn't go straight up field, but he sure did on his punt return for a score.  He looked pretty good in the passing game, too.  One thing I noticed was he's picked up the Wes Welker round-about move (catch, then loop slightly backwards to try to get around defenders).  It didn't always work, but it looks like he's learning fast.

(2) Pass protection - Granted Philly just lost their defensive coordinator a month previous to cancer, I don't even recall Brady being hit.  He was hurried and got to experience the pocket closing in on him, and I think this was a good thing.  I think it's just a matter of experiencing firsts as he comes back from injury (first time he gets hit, first time he underthrows someone, first time he throws a pick, etc, etc.)

(3) No. 12 - Boy is it a sight for sore eyes to see Brady even just talking to Belichick on the sideline in full uniform, let alone the fact that he played (well, for the most part).  Better to perfect the long ball when wins and losses aren't on the line.  For the most part, he looked sharp (completed a high percentage of his passes)

(4) Chris Baker the receiver - For all that's made of his blocking, the guy looked fairly atheltic in catching 2 touchdowns.  He reminded me of Daniel Graham speed-wise (and Graham was also a tight end with a reputation for good blocking)

(5) Pass rush - We sacked Donovan McNabb twice and hurried him on numerous occasions.  We also managed to keep him in the pocket for the most part.

(6) 4-3 - I don't know if they played it just against Philly (like in Super Bowl XXXIX) to help maintain pass rush lane integrity and contain McNabb within the pocket, or if they intend to play more 4-3 this year (like I believe they mentioned on TV, while referecing the fact that defensive coordinator Dean Pees had more experience with it), or if they were just trying to evaluate their greater depth of defensive linemen (whereas the competion at linebacker isn't considered quite as intense), but I'm curious to find out what our base defense will be this year.

(7) Coverage - I think our corners are a HUGE step up from Deltha O'Neal, and seemed to be knocking the ball away early on in the game.  I was also impressed by Wilhite, who I think looked particularly good defending the first deep ball Philly tried on him to DeSean Jackson.

(8) Receivers who block - I first noticed it with Joey Galloway clearing the way for Julian Edelman's first swing/screen pass (about 12:30 remaining in the 1st qtr), but it stuck and I noticed it all night: our receivers are pretty active in the run game, too.  I guess I never really apprecieated that before about htis team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Re: (Pre-season) Game Thoughts

Also, Dave Thomas played H-Back, which stood out to me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 00chief00. Show 00chief00's posts

Good post nick, I was going to create one of these myself....

1. Endleman shined, poor man's wes welker vs wes welker who is a rich man's wes welker. thanks, I'll be in town all week Laughing 
    When the season gets going, I see him making more of an impact on special teams.....

2. Chris Baker looks to have taken the edge on the starting te position.

3. They played a 4-3 defence last night due to the plethera of DL guys
    was impressed and hope they play a 4-3 mix once the seson starts to go with thier standard 3-4

4. Galloway looked lost/disinterested...Wasn't too happy with what I saw from him last night TBH.

5. DB's were fairly solid, need some seasoning, but like thier potential.

6. brady to Moss I could watch all day long.

7. Maroney still dancing, but didn't see enough of him to grade him too harshly just yet.....

8. Thomas at FB, good point, if he makes the team it'll be BC of that. I see him doing alot of lead blocking this year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I also think Pat Chung is going to be a stud.  He always seems to be around the ball and will be a beast on special teams.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Myron Pryor looked pretty good and TBC looked fast off the edge.  Edelman stole the show.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I'm watching the repeat broadcast on the NFL Network from the ABC affiliate in Philadelphia right now. It's Hermm Edwards and something called Hugh Douglas and Keving Reilly on the call. Reading these threads while I'm listening to the Philly homers describe the action is kind of funny. It doesn't seem like they're watching the same game you guys were.

Best take so far: Belichick left Brady in the entire first half so the Pats could run up the score in retribution for the Iggles crunching the Pats in the third preseason game last year.

Where do they find these guys?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

I didn't see the game but read that these were our starting down linemen: 

DE: Le Kevin Smith
    DT: Myron Pryor
    DT: Vince Wilfork
    DE: Richard Seymour

I don't understand this.  It seems like 4 run stuffers (except for Seymour who can do it all).  In a 4-3, shouldn't the ends be smaller, quicker guys like Burgess and TBC, or even Jarvis Green?  Did this four man front get any pressure on McNabb?  I heard it wasn't even that good against the run, so what gives?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

the defense looks the same as it was the last couple of years.cant stop the run,or stop the short slant passes.its only pre-season.so hopefully they can get it corrected.other then that its nice to see brady back to himself.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEforever. Show NEforever's posts

This team seems to be a lot better this year than last. What ever happended to delta oneal?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

I think Galloway might take a little while to get on the same page as Brady.  He's also going to have to adjust to not being the number 1 receiver, BUT I think he could do wonders in burning defenses deep when they want to roll their coverage too much to Randy Moss's side of the field.

And I also agree that Thomas being able to block out of the backfield might lead to 4-5 TE's being on the roster.

@prairiemike, LOL gotta love Philadelphia.  I'm just beyond words.

On the 4-3, I think it's just a different kind of look.  I DON'T think they were focusing the most on stopping the run - I think they were trying to CONTAIN McNabb.  I'll wait to pass judgment, but I think they held the Eagles down when it counted (2 FG's, no TD's against the starters).  Also, I wouldn't write off Richard Seymour as a pass rusher.  Myron Pryor also had a sack - didn't watch the line of scrimmage to say anything elseabout him because I wanted to see DB's in coverage, and I thought they looked good - McNabb is a good quarterback, but they were right in the middle of the action when it counted.

Another thing that I overlooked: Philadelphia played abnormally sloppy ball.  They got a LOT of penalties, and I think that helped the Pats.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Here is the enemy's take on the game.  Kind of interesting how their perception of Mayo differed from most Pats fans: (Source is Eagle Tribune)

Hector Longo's Big Shows & No-Shows

Big Shows

1. Julian Edelman — The seventh-round pick, a converted QB from Kent State, raced 75 yards for a punt-return touchdown and caught a team-high five passes for 37 yards.

2. Gary Guyton — In the new 4-3 defense, Guyton stands at No. 2 or 3 on the linebacker depth chart, playing next to Jerod Mayo, opposite Adalius Thomas. He had two solo tackles.

3. Pat Chung — The rookie safety stuck his nose into the action, banging people around with four solo tackles and an assist. A great foundation game.

No-shows

1. Jerod Mayo — The Patriots are putting him in the middle of the 4-3. Despite some nice protection from Richard Seymour, Vince Wilfork and even Myron Pryor, Mayo made five solo tackles on Philly gains of 6,7,19,3 and 7 yards, hardly the stuff that a Brian Urlacher is made of.

2. Eric Alexander/Pierre Woods — Both of these guys have been around for years, supposedly the linebackers of the future for this team. Neither stepped up in extended playing time last night. Alexander had two tackles, both coming in the second half against the third- and fourth-teamers. Woods cashed in for one assist.

3. Ellis Hobbs — Old L.S. was back at it again, losing receivers, getting caught in traffic and allowing big gains in coverage. What? He's an Eagle now? Oh, never mind. Sorry, old habits are hard to break.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikec645. Show mikec645's posts

One thing I think about a lot during the preseason games is that Belichick isn't focused on just winning, he wants to evaluate his players in a variety of situations to see how they react in a real game atmosphere.  I figure with the depth they have on the D Line right now they'll be doing 4-3 until they narrow down the pool a bit.  There was a lot to take away from this game but a lot of the negatives I wouldn't worry about just yet.  Belichick needs to see what all of these newcomers weaknesses and strengths are so he can be sure how to use them.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostOfLombardi. Show GhostOfLombardi's posts

I would add that Sanders and Meriweather both looked stronger, physically. 

Vollmer also stood out--that guy is BIG and did not look lost. 

That said, run-blocking was somewhat lacking--hard to ask any RB to get anything when there aren't any gaps in the line. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostOfLombardi. Show GhostOfLombardi's posts

In Response to Re: (Pre-season) Game Thoughts:
    One thing I think about a lot during the preseason games is that Belichick isn't focused on just winning, he wants to evaluate his players in a variety of situations to see how they react in a real game atmosphere.  I figure with the depth they have on the D Line right now they'll be doing 4-3 until they narrow down the pool a bit.  There was a lot to take away from this game but a lot of the negatives I wouldn't worry about just yet.  Belichick needs to see what all of these newcomers weaknesses and strengths are so he can be sure how to use them.
    Posted by mikec645

I would agree--it seems as though he uses pre-season to try different looks.  If the season started next weekend at Philly again, there would be an entirely different gameplan in place. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2.. Show Tcal2.'s posts

"I think our corners are a HUGE step up from Deltha O'Neal"

Stephen Hawking would be a huge step up from O'Neal.

Sections
Shortcuts