Pre-Season wk III - Who Impressed the Most/Least?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Pre-Season wk III - Who Impressed the Most/Least?

OK, week three in the books. Going to take some guys to the woodshed now too.

Who looked good:

1.) Easy call. Tom Brady. He has been great all pre-season. Last night, in just 28 snaps he tossed three touchdowns, including a rainbow bomb to Moss that was classic. Without him, that game would have been irredeemable. Like Rogers, he is on fire. The three QB stories of the pre-season will be Brady and Rogers in MVP form, and how surprisingly well Bradford has played.

2.) Gronk. Minus Hernandez, Gronk shined. A pair of touchdowns, including one where he literally runs right past James (the Animal) Laurinaitis, and then simply rejects his shoestring tackle by dragging him and stretching across the goal line. This kid is scary fast for someone who is also scary huge, with scary good hands. This kid seems to be worth the selection they used on him.

3.) Moss. Still is as fast as lightning. Still got way behind the Rams defense all too easy. He added another couple receptions, building on what has been a very good preseason.

4.) Crump. Made one catch that was more athletic than seems logically possibly for a keg like him. It was also more athletic than anything any of NE's previous five or six TEs ever did in their life. This from a guy who looks like he might have trouble tying his shoelaces?

5.) Brace, who was moved all over the line, is actually looking like a bon-a-fide NFL starter. He gather one sack, and provided some good interior pressure.

Honorable mention -- TBC,who applied good pressure (perhaps too good, grabbing a penalty for RTP.)

Who looked bad?

1.) Bodden. He didn't look the worst, but he is a vet. And he is a vet who kept talking about how he was going to be prepared when they called his number. He was not. To his credit, BB had him lined up at safety a few times, and all over the field in what seemed like a night where he shuffled the DBs into different spots on a down by down basis.

2.) Wilhite. Still looks like a liability. A b-i-g liability. 

3.) Burgess. Looked very slow on most plays, and the Rams appeared to run the ball in his direction frequently. Had a very half-hearted chip on the TE a couple times, including on one of the long gainers to Hoomanawanui

4.) Butler. While he wasn't the worst out there in a DB crew that looked frequently discombobulated about where they should be (perhaps they thought they should be in the lockerroom or watching the game on TV?) he still has a knack for drawing PIs. Correct me if I am wrong, but one last night makes three this pre-season for him -- anyone remember? 

The Just Plain UGLY --  

Mike Wright. Since NE dumped Richard Seymour, running at Wright's side has been a problem that has re-doubled itself as a major issue against teams that feature the play-action.He was smacked around like a red-headed stepchild last night. Rookie Dreaderick looks better on early downs than he does. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

Re: Pre-Season wk III - Who Impressed the Most/Least?

In Response to Pre-Season wk III - Who Impressed the Most/Least?:
    [QUOTE]OK, week three in the books. Going to take some guys to the woodshed now too. Who looked good: 1.) Easy call. Tom Brady. He has been great all pre-season. Last night, in just 28 snaps he tossed three touchdowns, including a rainbow bomb to Moss that was classic. Without him, that game would have been irredeemable. Like Rogers, he is on fire. The three QB stories of the pre-season will be Brady and Rogers in MVP form, and how surprisingly well Bradford has played. 2.) Gronk. Minus Hernandez, Gronk shined. A pair of touchdowns, including one where he literally runs right past James (the Animal) Laurinaitis, and then simply rejects his shoestring tackle by dragging him and stretching across the goal line. This kid is scary fast for someone who is also scary huge, with scary good hands. This kid seems to be worth the selection they used on him. 3.) Moss. Still is as fast as lightning. Still got way behind the Rams defense all too easy. He added another couple receptions, building on what has been a very good preseason. 4.) Crump. Made one catch that was more athletic than seems logically possibly for a keg like him. It was also more athletic than anything any of NE's previous five or six TEs ever did in their life. This from a guy who looks like he might have trouble tying his shoelaces? 5.) Brace, who was moved all over the line, is actually looking like a bon-a-fide NFL starter. He gather one sack, and provided some good interior pressure. Honorable mention -- TBC,who applied good pressure (perhaps too good, grabbing a penalty for RTP; and McCourty who less one play where Avery got behind him (but was overthrown) was the only DB who looked consistent. He played, might I add, every DB spot possible, 1st, 2nd, Nick, Dime, as did every other DB. Who looked bad? 1.) Bodden. He didn't look the worst, but he is a vet. And he is a vet who kept talking about how he was going to be prepared when they called his number. He was not. To his credit, BB had him lined up at safety a few times, and all over the field in what seemed like a night where he shuffled the DBs into different spots on a down by down basis. 2.) Wilhite. Still looks like a liability. A b-i-g liability.  3.) McGowan. Up and down this preseason. Proved he is really just a tiny ILB here by letting Avery run right past him, getting torched early in the going, and not stopping there. As I look at it ... he is fourth on the Safety Depth chart. 4.) Burgess. Looked very slow on most plays, and the Rams appeared to run the ball in his direction frequently. Had a very half-hearted chip on the TE a couple times, including on one of the long gainers to Hoomanawanui 5.) Butler. While he wasn't the worst out there in a DB crew that looked frequently discombobulated about where they should be (perhaps they thought they should be in the lockerroom or watching the game on TV?) he still has a knack for drawing PIs. Correct me if I am wrong, but one last night makes three this pre-season for him -- anyone remember?  The Just Plain UGLY --   Mike Wright. Since NE dumped Richard Seymour, running at Wright's side has been a problem that has re-doubled itself as a major issue against teams that feature the play-action.He was smacked around like a red-headed stepchild last night. Rookie Dreaderick looks better on early downs than he does. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

I have to add the Zoltan.  Outside of his 1 punt inside the 5, his kicks were very "hanson like".  Short punts, little hangtime, and very returnable.  It really hurt them in the first half, with the D playing so bad, and the Rams starting with a short field everytime.  Easily his worst effort of the preseason so far.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

In Response to Re: Pre-Season wk III - Who Impressed the Most/Least?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pre-Season wk III - Who Impressed the Most/Least? : Right. Aagin, short fields for the offense. 2008/2009 flashbacks last night. The punts can't be like that and the offensive playcalling cannot be like that.
    Posted by russgriswold[/QUOTE]

OMG Russ and I agreed on something.  Hell just frooze over!!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

In Response to Pre-Season wk III - Who Impressed the Most/Least?:
    [QUOTE]OK, week three in the books. Going to take some guys to the woodshed now too. Who looked good: 1.) Easy call. Tom Brady. He has been great all pre-season. Last night, in just 28 snaps he tossed three touchdowns, including a rainbow bomb to Moss that was classic. Without him, that game would have been irredeemable. Like Rogers, he is on fire. The three QB stories of the pre-season will be Brady and Rogers in MVP form, and how surprisingly well Bradford has played. 2.) Gronk. Minus Hernandez, Gronk shined. A pair of touchdowns, including one where he literally runs right past James (the Animal) Laurinaitis, and then simply rejects his shoestring tackle by dragging him and stretching across the goal line. This kid is scary fast for someone who is also scary huge, with scary good hands. This kid seems to be worth the selection they used on him. 3.) Moss. Still is as fast as lightning. Still got way behind the Rams defense all too easy. He added another couple receptions, building on what has been a very good preseason. 4.) Crump. Made one catch that was more athletic than seems logically possibly for a keg like him. It was also more athletic than anything any of NE's previous five or six TEs ever did in their life. This from a guy who looks like he might have trouble tying his shoelaces? 5.) Brace, who was moved all over the line, is actually looking like a bon-a-fide NFL starter. He gather one sack, and provided some good interior pressure. Honorable mention -- TBC,who applied good pressure (perhaps too good, grabbing a penalty for RTP; and McCourty who less one play where Avery got behind him (but was overthrown) was the only DB who looked consistent. He played, might I add, every DB spot possible, 1st, 2nd, Nick, Dime, as did every other DB. Who looked bad? 1.) Bodden. He didn't look the worst, but he is a vet. And he is a vet who kept talking about how he was going to be prepared when they called his number. He was not. To his credit, BB had him lined up at safety a few times, and all over the field in what seemed like a night where he shuffled the DBs into different spots on a down by down basis. 2.) Wilhite. Still looks like a liability. A b-i-g liability.  3.) McGowan. Up and down this preseason. Proved he is really just a tiny ILB here by letting Avery run right past him, getting torched early in the going, and not stopping there. As I look at it ... he is fourth on the Safety Depth chart. 4.) Burgess. Looked very slow on most plays, and the Rams appeared to run the ball in his direction frequently. Had a very half-hearted chip on the TE a couple times, including on one of the long gainers to Hoomanawanui 5.) Butler. While he wasn't the worst out there in a DB crew that looked frequently discombobulated about where they should be (perhaps they thought they should be in the lockerroom or watching the game on TV?) he still has a knack for drawing PIs. Correct me if I am wrong, but one last night makes three this pre-season for him -- anyone remember?  The Just Plain UGLY --   Mike Wright. Since NE dumped Richard Seymour, running at Wright's side has been a problem that has re-doubled itself as a major issue against teams that feature the play-action.He was smacked around like a red-headed stepchild last night. Rookie Dreaderick looks better on early downs than he does. 

Yea sorry to say Bulter seems to be morphing into Hobbs.  If he isnt getting a PI call, he is about 10 yards from the reciever when he catches the ball. 

Who is the secondary coach on this team anyway? He needs to start coaching these guys up.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]Mike Wright?  Really? I didn't see much running to Wright's side at all.  In fact, St. Louis threw the ball a ton. [/QUOTE]

I don't know. Maybe it is hard to see. But they ran the ball more than they passed it in the first three quarters. And ended up with a 41-41 play distribution. 41 rushes for 136 yards can be hard to spot. The rushing success they had early set up most of Bradford's big plays. And while they did run effectively to the gaps farthest out on both sides, they targeted Wright.

Perhaps you were watching Ne run and got confused. They had eleven rushes for 28 yards, and spent the rest of the night throwing it. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Butler is better than Hobbs in coverage already. Hobbs wasn't really a bad PI defender. In fact, I think he made some smart PIs when he was burnt. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE] My question is, what is BB looking for in these soft zones. I know what the answer is, but for whatever reason it rarely works.   McGowan made it work with his INT.   [/QUOTE]

McGowan is off the list, and so is McCourty. I had a note taken on it, and my writing was illegible. After rechecking the highlite, it was McCourty who got beat, which removes his honorable mention and makes McGowan passable. Although I don't think anyone in the DB crew played well last night.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pre-Season wk III - Who Impressed the Most/Least? : Sorry, they had them in plenty of 3rd and 5 type plays. The 1st down or 2nd down run defense was fine for the most part.  3 yard carries I can live with. The rush D worsened when they brought in Damione Lewis and Deaderick, etc. The first drive is where they collected a lot of the yardage.  At the half, they only had 61 yards rushing which is not bad.  Not great, but certainly not enough to say "MIke Wright was awful for allowing rushing yards". Take away the first drive which was poorly defended, and the run D was solid. Top rusher? Keith Toston - 41 yards.   Oh no!
    Posted by russgriswold[/QUOTE]

Take away the first drive??  LOL, you mean the one when they used there starting running back - Jackson.  He only played two series so its not saying much to say the Run D improved when he left the game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Russ,

I'm not going to argue with you. If taking something away here and there makes you feel better about the way the defense played that is fine. 

I disagree. Mike Wright was run at. And his side was also thrown at in TE formations, which is typically a sign that you know the defense is on its heels there. Mike Wright is not a good run defender. And 61 yards of rushing in a half is bad. 136 in a game where your starters play till the 4th is not good either.

The defense played a poor game as a unit. Not too many bright spots outside of Brace and TBC looking ok, and a few guys not getting beat and looking like they could actually play against the Rams' second team offense. It is what it is. BB said it himself. In a game with no defense Ne had less.

Let's hope this is fuel to recapture the energy they had in the other two games. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I am mentally deranged. But I don't believe it impairs my ability to spot a poor defensive performance.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I'm re-watching the game right now and the defense is a legitimate concern. They seemed out of synch all game. A couple of random things I've seen are:

Spikes was slow to react and get to the rb on a pass. He actually looked a little lost last game and I wonder if he is having trouble with the schemes?

Burgess not only got stonewalled by any player he went up againstbut  he also looked like he wasn't even trying sometimes.

Stephen Neal is starting to make me a little nervous. He is not maintaining his blocks. His guy always seems to be the 1st one to get free. He has been spotty in the last few games. Anybody else see that?

I liked seeing Mayo blitz up the middle. Reminded me of Bruschi.

We have played a lot of soft zone coverage in the first half. I'm not trying to use this as an excuse but it did seem like a limited scheme.

It was beautiful to see Welker getting free down field.

Sammy Morris saved Bradys life on that amazing Crumpler catch. Matt Light let the rusher come free at TB and Morris came out of nowhere. (I would say Morris owed him that one)

The o-line is gonna give me an ulcer.

I need a drink.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]I'm re-watching the game right now and the defense is a legitimate concern. They seemed out of synch all game. A couple of random things I've seen are: Spikes was slow to react and get to the rb on a pass. He actually looked a little lost last game and I wonder if he is having trouble with the schemes? Burgess not only got stonewalled by any player he went up againstbut  he also looked like he wasn't even trying sometimes. Stephen Neal is starting to make me a little nervous. He is not maintaining his blocks. His guy always seems to be the 1st one to get free. He has been spotty in the last few games. Anybody else see that? I liked seeing Mayo blitz up the middle. Reminded me of Bruschi. We have played a lot of soft zone coverage in the first half. I'm not trying to use this as an excuse but it did seem like a limited scheme. It was beautiful to see Welker getting free down field. Sammy Morris saved Bradys life on that amazing Crumpler catch. Matt Light let the rusher come free at TB and Morris came out of nowhere. (I would say Morris owed him that one) The o-line is gonna give me an ulcer. I need a drink.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

Good list TC. Mayo really flashed some speed there. He should get half a sack on the Brace sack, because (IIRC) it was his quick burst through the line that forced SB into the arms of the defense there. Although Brace and co made a good push to keep him from sliding out. 

Burgess's lack of effort made me ill. I mean, he played half-hearted and it showed. Go back and watch the play where they make the long gain to their TE. He is supposed to hit him at the line before rushing. It looked like he was pushing his annoying little sister in the back seat of his parents' car on a road trip. 

Really. I thought Spikes and Mayo were just ok. I mean there wasn't the energy and pursuit we saw out of Spikes for two games, but in general they did a good job wrapping up when the line failed. The biggest part is that St Louis really ran at the perimeter. That was an issue last season too. It is exacerbated when you play off man or zone coverage, because the CB is in no position to help.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I wonder if BB's mixing in various players on defense, trying different combinations, etc., led to the defense being out of whack or finding their own groove? 

I still think BB is looking for what players form the best group on given situations. I think this will develop, and when it does, I expect this defense to look a lot better than it did last night. 

I also think energy was a problem. The entire D (including Chung who is usually in hyper mode 100% of the time), looked flat and out of energy. 

Lots of blame to go around, but I'm not as concerned as some. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pre-Season wk III - Who Impressed the Most/Least? : I don't know. Maybe it is hard to see. But they ran the ball more than they passed it in the first three quarters. And ended up with a 41-41 play distribution. 41 rushes for 136 yards can be hard to spot. The rushing success they had early set up most of Bradford's big plays. And while they did run effectively to the gaps farthest out on both sides, they targeted Wright. Perhaps you were watching Ne run and got confused. They had eleven rushes for 28 yards, and spent the rest of the night throwing it. 

Hey ZB,

Agree with most of your comments on this thread. To me, the only DB who seemed to play with some authority was Merriweather, but I haven't had the chance to re-watch the game.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

i agree with russ, i think the run defense was generally ok. but wright can be a liability in that area. he really should be a rotational player and hopefully he will be if brace is healthy and can step into a starting role. 

i have to disagree with the assessment of TBC though. he was going one on one against a rookie tackle, he needed to do more. sure he applied some pressure, but he was always a step too late. he's just not explosive. and he cant set the edge.

another "down" player has to be sanders. he was featured a lot in this game, presumably to showcase for a trade, but he didnt do anything. 

and of course burgess...the guy is totally lifeless and represents last season's problems to me. i really hope cunnigham can push that guy off the field. he is just awful in every phase of the game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

The problem with stats is the you take away ones you don't like. 61 is an issue. As is 136. Time of possession is dictated by controlling the ball. It wasn't a good performance man. That is all. There is no reason to get so fired up over it. And trying to defend giving up 136 on the ground is basically an untenable position. 

You are like. Take away Jackson and Ogbyonna. Minus some penalties. Take away the fact that NE wasn't "game-planning." Minus Toston in the fourth quarter. Take away time of possession. It all adds up to a good performance. 

No. It doesn't. Sorry. 

And it's bad logic man. If some Rams fan came in here trying to spin their defensive performance this way, you would jump all over them.

Take away Toston?

95 yards in three quarters is still poor. The Rams essentially gained about 31-2 yards a quarter. That is 123-6 a game. That is not good man. I don't know how else to put it. 

Take away Ogy and Jackson?

OK. Minus Gronk and Welker breaking into their DB crew like it was a 12 rack of Milwaukee's best, the St Louis passing defense was pretty darned good too! I mean without them NE only passed for 160 or so yards. Great D. Nothing to worry about. 

Take away game planning?

Game plan is not an excuse either. I could just as easily note that if that is the St. Louis offense without a game plan, they would humiliate this defense with a game plan. If NE were "keying" on RBs, then judging from the Te performance last night, they would be gashed brutally on the other end as well.

Take away TOP?

How do you think they got that TOP? By running the ball and ball control passing. St. Louis looked good on offense. NE did not on defense. The fact that the DB corps looked worse than the front seven in run defense takes little away from the fact that the front seven was pushed around a bit.  

Again, feel free to think what you want. But you can take away everything, and there isn't anything left to look at. I'm not going to argue anymore. Have a good one. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pre-Season wk III - Who Impressed the Most/Least? : Hey ZB, Agree with most of your comments on this thread. To me, the only DB who seemed to play with some authority was Merriweather, but I haven't had the chance to re-watch the game.
    Posted by NY-PATS-FAN4[/QUOTE]

Meri looked ok. But he should. He is a pro-bowler. In fact, he should have taken more command of the situation at hand. But that is really hard to judge when you aren't there. At the same time, I wish he would stop chirping when his friends are getting owned so hard. But yeah he put one hit on that was stupendous. I love that stuff!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

[QUOTE]The problem with stats is the you take away ones you don't like. 61 is an issue. As is 136. Time of possession is dictated by controlling the ball. It wasn't a good performance man. That is all. There is no reason to get so fired up over it. And trying to defend giving up 136 on the ground is basically an untenable position.  You are like. Take away Jackson and Ogbyonna. Minus some penalties. Take away the fact that NE wasn't "game-planning." Minus Toston in the fourth quarter. Take away time of possession. It all adds up to a good performance.  No. It doesn't. Sorry.  And it's bad logic man. If some Rams fan came in here trying to spin their defensive performance this way, you would jump all over them. Take away Toston? 95 yards in three quarters is still poor. The Rams essentially gained about 31-2 yards a quarter. That is 123-6 a game. That is not good man. I don't know how else to put it.  Take away Ogy and Jackson? OK. Minus Gronk and Welker breaking into their DB crew like it was a 12 rack of Milwaukee's best, the St Louis passing defense was pretty darned good too! I mean without them NE only passed for 160 or so yards. Great D. Nothing to worry about.  Take away game planning? Game plan is not an excuse either. I could just as easily note that if that is the St. Louis offense without a game plan, they would humiliate this defense with a game plan. If NE were "keying" on RBs, then judging from the Te performance last night, they would be gashed brutally on the other end as well. Take away TOP? How do you think they got that TOP? By running the ball and ball control passing. St. Louis looked good on offense. NE did not on defense. The fact that the DB corps looked worse than the front seven in run defense takes little away from the fact that the front seven was pushed around a bit.   Again, feel free to think what you want. But you can take away everything, and there isn't anything left to look at. I'm not going to argue anymore. Have a good one. 

I am going to beat Rusty to this --- SHUT UP YOU PINK HAT!!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]I wonder if BB's mixing in various players on defense, trying different combinations, etc., led to the defense being out of whack or finding their own groove?  I still think BB is looking for what players form the best group on given situations. I think this will develop, and when it does, I expect this defense to look a lot better than it did last night.  I also think energy was a problem. The entire D (including Chung who is usually in hyper mode 100% of the time), looked flat and out of energy.  Lots of blame to go around, but I'm not as concerned as some. 
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

Lifer, 

Those were two key issues you spotted. 1.) They were indeed shuffling the deck in the backfield. They moved every corner to each spot almost on a down by down rotational basis. This makes me want to throw a grain of salt at the overall DB performance. At the same time, they were still getting beat man up too often, and looked flat.  2.) Energy was a HUGE problem. I think they weren't taking this one seriously. 

It appears to me, BB wanted looks at his passing game in various spread formations. And he wanted looks at his DBs in different roles. 

Concerned? I am no more concerned than I was elated about the other good showing against Atlanta. 

It is the preseason.

What we know is that this front five is not elite anymore. That is a given. Seymour, Fork/Wash, Warren, Mcginest, Vrabel is a lot better than TBC, Burgess, Fork, G. Warren, and M. Wright. One is ok. The other is elite. 

They will struggle from time to time against elite rushing teams. And they won't crush the pocket the way they used too. The days of simply smothering teams are over. And that the defensive backfield is crazy young, and will make mistakes.

But then, the offense looks to be a lot higher octane than before. And IMO, when all is said and done, and Bodden has his legs under him, A DB crew of Meri, Chung, (McGowan) Bodden, McCourty, and Butler, will be great. And Mayo/Spikes will be very good as well. So this team will still be a playoff contender. 

I think a lot of how they do (and I said this earlier as well) will have to do with how much pressure the offense can put on the the other team. Young defenses play better when they can pursue and charge downfield. They tend to struggle when they are back on their heels trying to adjust.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]i agree with russ, i think the run defense was generally ok. but wright can be a liability in that area. he really should be a rotational player and hopefully he will be if brace is healthy and can step into a starting role.  i have to disagree with the assessment of TBC though. he was going one on one against a rookie tackle, he needed to do more. sure he applied some pressure, but he was always a step too late. he's just not explosive. and he cant set the edge. another "down" player has to be sanders. he was featured a lot in this game, presumably to showcase for a trade, but he didnt do anything.  and of course burgess...the guy is totally lifeless and represents last season's problems to me. i really hope cunnigham can push that guy off the field. he is just awful in every phase of the game.
    Posted by artielang[/QUOTE]

Artie,

Yeah. Brace (hopefully) can eventually bolster this line a bit more. I hope to see some more fronts with Wright back on the bench. The problem is that Wright is also the best pure pass rusher from 34-end. Although Brace seems to be getting good penetration.

TBC was good IMO. I think he will continue to get pressure, and he did apply some last night. The problem is that there was none coming from the other side. Bringing the pocket in on both sides is crucial. Most of the NFLs best rushers have someone on the other side helping them pinch it off. He is however, only adequate at setting an edge. That is a fact. I still see teams struggling to really gain yards through Fork and Spikes/Mayo, but last year they had trouble at the perimeter at times, and it seems that way again. 

Burgess looks like stiff to me too. I really, really want to see what Cunningham can do. Another season of watching Burgess play when he feels like it, and get pushed around on the edge will be infuriating.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pre-Season wk III - Who Impressed the Most/Least? : Lifer,  Those were two key issues you spotted. 1.) They were indeed shuffling the deck in the backfield. They moved every corner to each spot almost on a down by down rotational basis. This makes me want to throw a grain of salt at the overall DB performance. At the same time, they were still getting beat man up too often, and looked flat.  2.) Energy was a HUGE problem. I think they weren't taking this one seriously.  It appears to me, BB wanted looks at his passing game in various spread formations. And he wanted looks at his DBs in different roles.  Concerned? I am no more concerned than I was elated about the other good showing against Atlanta.  It is the preseason. What we know is that this front five is not elite anymore. That is a given. Seymour, Fork/Wash, Warren, Mcginest, Vrabel is a lot better than TBC, Burgess, Fork, G. Warren, and M. Wright. One is ok. The other is elite.  They will struggle from time to time against elite rushing teams. And they won't crush the pocket the way they used too. The days of simply smothering teams are over. And that the defensive backfield is crazy young, and will make mistakes. But then, the offense looks to be a lot higher octane than before. And IMO, when all is said and done, and Bodden has his legs under him, A DB crew of Meri, Chung, (McGowan) Bodden, McCourty, and Butler, will be great. And Mayo/Spikes will be very good as well. So this team will still be a playoff contender.  I think a lot of how they do (and I said this earlier as well) will have to do with how much pressure the offense can put on the the other team. Young defenses play better when they can pursue and charge downfield. They tend to struggle when they are back on their heels trying to adjust.

Z

How can you put Butler in that secondary and feel good. I mean at least the other guys have looked good in week 1 and 2.  What have you seen out of Butler at all this preseason to think he belongs in the starting lineup or as nickel back (top backup)?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

The only Pats hats I own are white. One is signed by Andre Tippett that I got when I was a kid in like 1986-7. That guy was a sack machine, and really my favorite Pat back then!

The other was signed by a bunch of guys at a practice in Vinatieri's rookie season, including Adam V. I won it at a raffle held at a banquet at the end of the season when I was playing football as an adolescent. It was crushed somehow in storage, so it's all bent now and has a brown scuff on it. 

My parents keep them both in a box of Zach memorabilia from when I was young and played, along with those cheesy cards you can get made of yourself in junior football (lol), a couple jackets, team photos and two trophies for being superbowl runner up and division champ.

The rest of my hats are LSU Tigers, Red Sox and Celtics. Two blue, one green and white. This, of course, discounts my scally caps and fedorah, those are brown felt, brown suede, and a nice grey herringbone.

I almost bought a Stetson. It was white/yellow. 

I have no plans for purchasing a pink hat.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pre-Season wk III - Who Impressed the Most/Least? : Z How can you put Butler in that secondary and feel good. I mean at least the other guys have looked good in week 1 and 2.  What have you seen out of Butler at all this preseason to think he belongs in the starting lineup or as nickel back (top backup)?
    Posted by Patsman2[/QUOTE]

Bodden didn't play one or two. Butler played outside those games and was effective. He struggled against Amondola, but that kid is good, IMO, and will benefit from having an accurate QB there now. He could be Welker WEST, lol.

He has made a few penalties, but by and large, Butler is as good as any nickel player out there. He also made a couple of really good tackles last night. Bodden looked worse than he did last night, but some of that can be chocked up to being rusty. Still I expected more from him.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

[QUOTE]The only Pats hats I own are white. One is signed by Andre Tippett that I got when I was a kid in like 1986-7. That guy was a sack machine, and really my favorite Pat back then! The other was signed by a bunch of guys at a practice in Vinatieri's rookie season, including Adam V. I won it at a raffle held at a banquet at the end of the season when I was playing football as an adolescent. It was crushed somehow in storage, so it's all bent now and has a brown scuff on it.  My parents keep them both in a box of Zach memorabilia from when I was young and played, along with those cheesy cards you can get made of yourself in junior football (lol), a couple jackets, team photos and two trophies for being superbowl runner up and division champ. The rest of my hats are LSU Tigers, Red Sox and Celtics. Two blue, one green and white. This, of course, discounts my scally caps and fedorah, those are brown felt, brown suede, and a nice grey herringbone. I almost bought a Stetson. It was white/yellow.  I have no plans for purchasing a pink hat.

The pink hat is not your choice.  If Rusty thinks your a pink hat, your a PINK HAT!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Rusty,

Just having fun. Plus, it was a good memory to recall. Don't see my family that often anymore, and my mother really cherishes those hats.

Plus it reminded me of how nasty Tippett was in Tecmo Bowl.