Predict the Day 3 Steal

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Predict the Day 3 Steal

In the past several years, it seems the Pats snag a Day 2 prospect late on Day 3.  In 2010 it was Aaron Hernandez, in 2011 it was Marcus Cannon, in 2012 it was Alfonso Dennard, in 2013 it was Michael Buchanan (though he was more of a late 3rd-4th rd prospect).  Who will it be this year?

I'm going with Brandon Thomas-OG-Clemson in the 6th.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: Predict the Day 3 Steal

Yes

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check out my Pats/Sports Blog:

http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Aaron Colvin, CB Auburn

Tore his ACL @ Senior Bowl, otherwise would have been a top pick.

Hope the Pats grab him in the 6th.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Spencer Long <currently CBS ranked #240>:  6'5 320lb Nebraska Guard; All-Academic Honors; '12-'13-1st Team All-Big 10; '12-'13-2nd Team All-America; Senior Captain; In Oct. Tore ACL and was lost for Senior Year...before this=Projected as a Top 100 Selection; Brother Jake Long;

...Either this ^ OR:  Any the biggest & highest-rated DT/3-4 DE still on the board, Or a CB//4-3DE-3-4OLB prospect whom dropped down a mile for whatever silly reason...injury, trivial off-field;  And/or finally, Highest rated big-name QB left on the board...seeing as how the skill & talent at this position still only translates to a small handful of guys ever being actually drafted in any given year-Guy might be a Coach's coachable dream, & ya may strike Brady Gold- Or ya might have an unfortunate circumstance/Preseason Stud/Late Game blowout guy that performs awesome/ -i.e. Cultivated after 2-3 Seasons, some Kansas City Chief Early Round Trade Bait whom has already had some very limited albeit High Potentiality NFL gameday experiences.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mediumsizednuts. Show Mediumsizednuts's posts

Laz do you still have you blue van with white doors?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Jeff Janis from Saginaw Valley State.  ghostofjri37 reports that Janis will be available in the 6th round.  The guy is a 220 pound guy with Wes Welker explosion -- he's a freak.  There has been nothing like him in the NFL.  The aggressive little corners that can bully Welker won't be big enough to jam Janis at the line, he'll bull straight past them and occasionally pancake them.  He'll need to be double covered in the slot.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

Jeff Janis from Saginaw Valley State.  ghostofjri37 reports that Janis will be available in the 6th round.  The guy is a 220 pound guy with Wes Welker explosion -- he's a freak.  There has been nothing like him in the NFL.  The aggressive little corners that can bully Welker won't be big enough to jam Janis at the line, he'll bull straight past them and occasionally pancake them.  He'll need to be double covered in the slot.

He has all the physical tools and measurables.... the question is do the scouts and player personnel guys feel that his game will translate from Div. II to the NFL?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

James Hurst OT, NC,  injured but was rated as a 2nd rounder.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I really don't see the Welker comparison in the least. Everything I've seen from Janis is that he's a 1 move possession guy who runs rounded routes. He gets up to speed quickly and his size lets him use that spin move to break through arm tackles but not a great comparison. Chandler Jones from San Jose State would be a better Welker comparison. Average speed and not the strongest guy but is a quick CoD athlete, who gains separation through sharp routes and once the ball is in his hands makes multiple moves to gain yac.

Btw, I do like Janis in the 6th - UDFA range.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Aaron Lynch DE S. Flor

His fresh year at ND he looked like a sure 1st round pick. If he continued his path down Florida people might be talking about him over Clowney. But then, he got home sick and got into trouble at ND. Transferred to S. Florida to be closer to home, sate out all of 12', dropped 25lbs, and had a weak start to the 13'. The last 4 games of the season he seemed to be returning to his ND form and he's gaining weight again. I don't know wth happened in ND and whether that was just a kid being overwhelmed by the freedom and basically getting everything he could want while getting away with almost everything he wanted but he might be worth a shot in the 6th or 7th. The talent is there if those 2 years with his mom set his head straight. 2 years ago everyone would say he'd be a top 15 player but now he might go UDFA. Seems like a BB move to me.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

How about the TE from UMASS Branchflower? Before he sustained a major groin injury last year he was considered to be a pretty good NFL prospect. He has pretty good size and catches the ball really well. He could be a good player to target for development on the practice squad.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How about the TE from UMASS Branchflower? Before he sustained a major groin injury last year he was considered to be a pretty good NFL prospect. He has pretty good size and catches the ball really well. He could be a good player to target for development on the practice squad.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

He'd be a good UDFA to grab. I could easily see the Pats targeting him after the draft

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Aaron Lynch DE S. Flor

His fresh year at ND he looked like a sure 1st round pick. If he continued his path down Florida people might be talking about him over Clowney. But then, he got home sick and got into trouble at ND. Transferred to S. Florida to be closer to home, sate out all of 12', dropped 25lbs, and had a weak start to the 13'. The last 4 games of the season he seemed to be returning to his ND form and he's gaining weight again. I don't know wth happened in ND and whether that was just a kid being overwhelmed by the freedom and basically getting everything he could want while getting away with almost everything he wanted but he might be worth a shot in the 6th or 7th. The talent is there if those 2 years with his mom set his head straight. 2 years ago everyone would say he'd be a top 15 player but now he might go UDFA. Seems like a BB move to me.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

[/QUOTE]

Lynch would be a terrific day 3 pick.  A lot of talent there.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I'll go with Maryland CB Dexter McDougle (5-10 196)...(had him as a late round steal in my superlatives thread as well)... He's a tough, competitive, quick footed CB with good COD, ball skills and awareness... looks to have solid off the field character as well.  He was injured for a good portion of last year, which may allow a team to steal him late.  

New Patriots OL coach Dave DeGuglielmo was the OL coach at Maryland last season and should be familiar with him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Colosoxman. Show Colosoxman's posts

Mike Pennel DT from CSU Pueblo

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Carl Bradford...

This year's Burfict, but for no reason except being an inch short? And he will not fall as far?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I'm adding Seth Lobato to my list.  He never got to the Indianapolis combine and he's listed by NFLDraftScout.com as between a free agent and a tryout, but his stock is rising.  He just visited the Patriots in Foxboro.

All that I can see are the measurables.  Lobato is as tall as Mallett, so that he can throw over any defensive lineman without looking for the passing lanes.  He also has tremendous lateral acceleration for a guy that big.  He'd be tied at #4 in the 3-cone with the little runt quarterbacks if he had participated in the combine.  Think Big Ben (without the rufinol scandal, please) but more so.  You can't arm-tackle him and you can't catch him either if he decides to take off.

Now we name the unmeasurables.  Can he throw a football and is he intelligent?  Only the scouting staff knows.  We'll find out.

BB doesn't need to draft a starting QB this year, but he needs a replacement for Mallett in 2015.  Mallett can't be franchised and he'll probably walk.  BB has a year to train Mallett's replacement.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to Colosoxman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mike Pennel DT from CSU Pueblo

[/QUOTE]

The dude is huge and strong but has the brains of a kumquat. He's just always in trouble and is a bit of a dullard. I just don't see BB touching this guy. If Pennel why not Lyerla?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Davonta Freeman

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

Christian jones LB

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Jerick McKinnon.  From everything I've read about this kid, his athletic ability and intangibles are off the charts.  As a 209 lb running back former QB, he benched 225lbs 32 times.  32 TIMES!  That's insane.  And that's just his strength, his speed, change of direction and endurance were similarly impressive.  The only thing holding this kid back is the fact that he hasn't completely settled on a position, he's one of those kids that were used to do it all because they could do it all.  BB in his mad scientist ways will find a position and turn this kid into something extraordinarily special. 

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to agill1970's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Jerick McKinnon.  From everything I've read about this kid, his athletic ability and intangibles are off the charts.  As a 209 lb running back former QB, he benched 225lbs 32 times.  32 TIMES!  That's insane.  And that's just his strength, his speed, change of direction and endurance were similarly impressive.  The only thing holding this kid back is the fact that he hasn't completely settled on a position, he's one of those kids that were used to do it all because they could do it all.  BB in his mad scientist ways will find a position and turn this kid into something extraordinarily special. 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I've been pretty big on McKinnon. I honestly believe he could replace Vereen. Great speed and scat ability and reportedly has good hands too. Also understands route patterns. Edelman on PR's and McKinnon on KR's with McKinnon in on the backfield and a Faulk type of back sounds good to me. Not much faith Vereen can stay healthy and with his contract up next year don't want to resign him if he can't give 15 solid games a year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

If Vereen's wrist is shot he might have to! McKinnon is pretty darned talented and if we take him he's here for a long time.

One guy I hope we stay away from is Lyerla. That would be a desperate stab and would not turn out well.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to part-timer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Christian jones LB

[/QUOTE]

Jones will be drafted anywhere from late 2nd to early 4th