Predictable, predictable, predictable...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from manowar333. Show manowar333's posts

Predictable, predictable, predictable...

Predicatble about sums it up...  No creativity on offense.  Defense is predictably porous.  If I were an offensive coordinator, I'd pass every play against our D until they show they can stop it.  There's no pass rush in general and when they do attempt to put pressure on, it either comes from the edge and QB just steps up to aviod it or they bring up the safety and the DBs get burned.  How about a little A-gap pressure by the LB's once in a while.  I can't really fault the defensive play calling, as it's hard to be creative when you don't have even one decent cover corner to feel safe with bringing a blitz scheme and in retrospect, I don't fault BB for going on 4th and 2 in Indy, considering how we now know how bad this D REALLY is.

But while I have to blame the defensive problems more on personel (or lack thereof), I can't say the same of the offense.  I really don't think much of the play calling on offense.  Let's see...  which one of our 8 plays will we run?  Bubble screen to Welker, Shotgun draw to Faulk, Dancing Bear Maroney off-tackle for 2 yards, Dancing Bear Maroney on a sweep for a 2 yard loss, Fullback up the A-gap against a goaline D for no gain, Welker crossing route, Overthrow to Moss on a deep go?  Choices, choices...  And you know it's bad when I can predict what the play is going to be before the snap probably 6 out of 10 plays while everyone in the room is looking at me like I'm clairvoyant. 

Solutions?  How about a simple slant route to start with?  I think I've seen Colts receivers run slants once or twice!!!  Come on, this is the most basic route in football and still one of the most successful when the coverage is right.  I think I can count the times we've had a receiver (other than Welker) running a slant this season on both hands... How about using the TE a little more.  Manning, Big Ben, Romo...  Those guys make a living on their TE's.  How about instead of Maroney in the backfield with his happy feet, split him out and either put him in the passing route or screen to him out wide...  He's so much more dangerous in the open field than dancing behind the line.  How about some RB screens instead of the bubble screen.  Faulk used be a blitz killer with RB screens...  Don't see many of them anymore.  And how about making some halftime adjustments?  I've never seen us this horrible at scoring in the second half...  For crying out loud, I wouldn't feel safe with a 4 TD halftime lead against anyone as poorly as the D is playing, so second half points are pretty much a necessity at this point.

How about not forcing the ball to Moss in double coverage as has been the case the past two games.  I feel like I'm watching Romo last year trying to keep T.O. happy by forcing passes that aren't there and it really worries me.  Additionally, it really appears that Moss has lost a step this season.  Seems that most deep throws are going to Aiken of late since Moss always seems to be 2 steps short of catching it.  It had to happen sometime, but I hoped we'd get a couple more decent years out of him.

The bottom line is that the offensive woes come down to playcalling and there is nothing remotely creative in that department.  A new offensive coordinator is a must-have or we're in for nasty weather.

Defensively, this comes down to personel and that's all on BB.  If he's the  "defensive guru" that everyone claims he is, then he should have seen the demise of this D coming 5 years ago when it started to get old.  The rest of us saw it. Why didn't he address it then, rather than put his hopes in a few washed up has-beens and a Raiders cast-off to be the answer. 

And though I'd like to think the Seymour trade will ultimately pay off, what's the benefit of having a high first round pick in 2011 only to trade it down for a bunch of later round picks, as we usually do and that never seem to work out?  How many busts have there been over the past few years?  If you're going to let guys like Asante Samuel and Jabar Gaffney go and trade off Vrabel for basically no compensation and Seymour for a pick that's 2 years away, then you better have a solid plan to replenish and I don't think they do.

I just don't see any light at the end of the tunnel on either side of the ball...  The defensive personel can't get the job done and the offensive coordinator is just downright awful. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots1a2. Show patriots1a2's posts

Re: Predictable, predictable, predictable...

In Response to Predictable, predictable, predictable...:
    [QUOTE]Predicatble about sums it up...  No creativity on offense.  Defense is predictably porous.  If I were an offensive coordinator, I'd pass every play against our D until they show they can stop it.  There's no pass rush in general and when they do attempt to put pressure on, it either comes from the edge and QB just steps up to aviod it or they bring up the safety and the DBs get burned.  How about a little A-gap pressure by the LB's once in a while.  I can't really fault the defensive play calling, as it's hard to be creative when you don't have even one decent cover corner to feel safe with bringing a blitz scheme and in retrospect, I don't fault BB for going on 4th and 2 in Indy, considering how we now know how bad this D REALLY is. But while I have to blame the defensive problems more on personel (or lack thereof), I can't say the same of the offense.  I really don't think much of the play calling on offense.  Let's see...  which one of our 8 plays will we run?  Bubble screen to Welker, Shotgun draw to Faulk, Dancing Bear Maroney off-tackle for 2 yards, Dancing Bear Maroney on a sweep for a 2 yard loss, Fullback up the A-gap against a goaline D for no gain, Welker crossing route, Overthrow to Moss on a deep go?  Choices, choices...  And you know it's bad when I can predict what the play is going to be before the snap probably 6 out of 10 plays while everyone in the room is looking at me like I'm clairvoyant.  Solutions?  How about a simple slant route to start with?  I think I've seen Colts receivers run slants once or twice!!!  Come on, this is the most basic route in football and still one of the most successful when the coverage is right.  I think I can count the times we've had a receiver (other than Welker) running a slant this season on both hands... How about using the TE a little more.  Manning, Big Ben, Romo...  Those guys make a living on their TE's.  How about instead of Maroney in the backfield with his happy feet, split him out and either put him in the passing route or screen to him out wide...  He's so much more dangerous in the open field than dancing behind the line.  How about some RB screens instead of the bubble screen.  Faulk used be a blitz killer with RB screens...  Don't see many of them anymore.  And how about making some halftime adjustments?  I've never seen us this horrible at scoring in the second half...  For crying out loud, I wouldn't feel safe with a 4 TD halftime lead against anyone as poorly as the D is playing, so second half points are pretty much a necessity at this point. How about not forcing the ball to Moss in double coverage as has been the case the past two games.  I feel like I'm watching Romo last year trying to keep T.O. happy by forcing passes that aren't there and it really worries me.  Additionally, it really appears that Moss has lost a step this season.  Seems that most deep throws are going to Aiken of late since Moss always seems to be 2 steps short of catching it.  It had to happen sometime, but I hoped we'd get a couple more decent years out of him. The bottom line is that the offensive woes come down to playcalling and there is nothing remotely creative in that department.  A new offensive coordinator is a must-have or we're in for nasty weather. Defensively, this comes down to personel and that's all on BB.  If he's the  "defensive guru" that everyone claims he is, then he should have seen the demise of this D coming 5 years ago when it started to get old.  The rest of us saw it. Why didn't he address it then, rather than put his hopes in a few washed up has-beens and a Raiders cast-off to be the answer.  And though I'd like to think the Seymour trade will ultimately pay off, what's the benefit of having a high first round pick in 2011 only to trade it down for a bunch of later round picks, as we usually do and that never seem to work out?  How many busts have there been over the past few years?  If you're going to let guys like Asante Samuel and Jabar Gaffney go and trade off Vrabel for basically no compensation and Seymour for a pick that's 2 years away, then you better have a solid plan to replenish and I don't think they do. I just don't see any light at the end of the tunnel on either side of the ball...  The defensive personel can't get the job done and the offensive coordinator is just downright awful. 
    Posted by manowar333[/QUOTE]

YOUR RIGHT!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

How about calling a timeout before going  for it on 4th down . This way the defense can make adjustments & get the right personel  on the field. Then after we discus all our options lets run a simple dive play with our fullback -that will fool them or maybe throw a 2 yard pass when we need three yards......youth football stuff!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3836043. Show user_3836043's posts

You should send your resume to BB.  He could use your help. There seems to be a real lack of common sense on the coaching staff.  The offense is extremely limited and thus predictable. Right now the offense is Wes Welker. I am so sick of them leaving points on the field and having average QBs (Orton, Henne) pick them apart.  How many 3rd and long conversions do we have to watch??? Brees and Manning you can justify but Kyle Orton and Chad Henne? geesh!!

The 6 point turn around right before halftime made it clear that yesterday was going to be another collapse.  Can't we have some semblance of a pass rush or at least the threat of one?  The DBs look terrible but how many times did the Pats even put a hand on Henne?  Once?  I think we have been spoiled for a long time and our new reality bites.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ottono. Show ottono's posts

In Response to Predictable, predictable, predictable...:
    [QUOTE]Predicatble about sums it up...  No creativity on offense.  Defense is predictably porous.  If I were an offensive coordinator, I'd pass every play against our D until they show they can stop it.  There's no pass rush in general and when they do attempt to put pressure on, it either comes from the edge and QB just steps up to aviod it or they bring up the safety and the DBs get burned.  How about a little A-gap pressure by the LB's once in a while.  I can't really fault the defensive play calling, as it's hard to be creative when you don't have even one decent cover corner to feel safe with bringing a blitz scheme and in retrospect, I don't fault BB for going on 4th and 2 in Indy, considering how we now know how bad this D REALLY is. But while I have to blame the defensive problems more on personel (or lack thereof), I can't say the same of the offense.  I really don't think much of the play calling on offense.  Let's see...  which one of our 8 plays will we run?  Bubble screen to Welker, Shotgun draw to Faulk, Dancing Bear Maroney off-tackle for 2 yards, Dancing Bear Maroney on a sweep for a 2 yard loss, Fullback up the A-gap against a goaline D for no gain, Welker crossing route, Overthrow to Moss on a deep go?  Choices, choices...  And you know it's bad when I can predict what the play is going to be before the snap probably 6 out of 10 plays while everyone in the room is looking at me like I'm clairvoyant.  Solutions?  How about a simple slant route to start with?  I think I've seen Colts receivers run slants once or twice!!!  Come on, this is the most basic route in football and still one of the most successful when the coverage is right.  I think I can count the times we've had a receiver (other than Welker) running a slant this season on both hands... How about using the TE a little more.  Manning, Big Ben, Romo...  Those guys make a living on their TE's.  How about instead of Maroney in the backfield with his happy feet, split him out and either put him in the passing route or screen to him out wide...  He's so much more dangerous in the open field than dancing behind the line.  How about some RB screens instead of the bubble screen.  Faulk used be a blitz killer with RB screens...  Don't see many of them anymore.  And how about making some halftime adjustments?  I've never seen us this horrible at scoring in the second half...  For crying out loud, I wouldn't feel safe with a 4 TD halftime lead against anyone as poorly as the D is playing, so second half points are pretty much a necessity at this point. How about not forcing the ball to Moss in double coverage as has been the case the past two games.  I feel like I'm watching Romo last year trying to keep T.O. happy by forcing passes that aren't there and it really worries me.  Additionally, it really appears that Moss has lost a step this season.  Seems that most deep throws are going to Aiken of late since Moss always seems to be 2 steps short of catching it.  It had to happen sometime, but I hoped we'd get a couple more decent years out of him. The bottom line is that the offensive woes come down to playcalling and there is nothing remotely creative in that department.  A new offensive coordinator is a must-have or we're in for nasty weather. Defensively, this comes down to personel and that's all on BB.  If he's the  "defensive guru" that everyone claims he is, then he should have seen the demise of this D coming 5 years ago when it started to get old.  The rest of us saw it. Why didn't he address it then, rather than put his hopes in a few washed up has-beens and a Raiders cast-off to be the answer.  And though I'd like to think the Seymour trade will ultimately pay off, what's the benefit of having a high first round pick in 2011 only to trade it down for a bunch of later round picks, as we usually do and that never seem to work out?  How many busts have there been over the past few years?  If you're going to let guys like Asante Samuel and Jabar Gaffney go and trade off Vrabel for basically no compensation and Seymour for a pick that's 2 years away, then you better have a solid plan to replenish and I don't think they do. I just don't see any light at the end of the tunnel on either side of the ball...  The defensive personel can't get the job done and the offensive coordinator is just downright awful. 
    Posted by manowar333[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from manowar333. Show manowar333's posts

In Response to Re: Predictable, predictable, predictable...:
    [QUOTE]How about calling a timeout before going  for it on 4th down . This way the defense can make adjustments & get the right personel  on the field. Then after we discus all our options lets run a simple dive play with our fullback -that will fool them or maybe throw a 2 yard pass when we need three yards......youth football stuff!
    Posted by dwhite1220[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that stuff short of the 1'st down marker is driving me crazy as well.  Yards after catch are all fine and dandy, but you can't always rely on it, especially if Welker is doubled up on that play.  What really concerns me is the forcing to Moss.  If the D is rolling coverage over on Moss, then someone else should be open.  I just see Brady trying to force it too much.  The first pick in against the Saints was Brady throwing into tight over-under coverage to Moss...  And he kept trying to pick on Mike McKenzie all game long...  not smart...  you'd think he'd have learned his lesson 4 years ago against Champ Bailey down in Denver's endzone.  Don't pick on the All-Pros, regardless of their age.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from manowar333. Show manowar333's posts

In Response to Re: Predictable, predictable, predictable...:
    [QUOTE] Right now the offense is Wes Welker. I am so sick of them leaving points on the field and having average QBs (Orton, Henne) pick them apart... 

How many 3rd and long conversions do we have to watch??? Brees and Manning you can justify but Kyle Orton and Chad Henne? geesh!! The 6 point turn around right before halftime made it clear that yesterday was going to be another collapse.  Can't we have some semblance of a pass rush or at least the threat of one?  The DBs look terrible but how many times did the Pats even put a hand on Henne?  Once?  I think we have been spoiled for a long time and our new reality bites.
    Posted by GregScribner64[/QUOTE]

Agreed...  Take the FG instead of trying 4th and 1.  I don't care what the statistic book says...  Too many points left on the field.  And to reiterate, I'd really like to see Maroney out as the receiver on that bubble screen.  He'd knock that first DB to make contact on his arss and then look out.  Get him into the open field with the ball and he's as dangerous as anyone in the league...

And, am I the only one who sees that our only pressure attemps come from the edge?  That's why they're not getting a hand on the QB...  I understand not getting to Manning, no one really ever does for the most part, but there's no excuse for the lack of pass rush or even pressure for that matter.  Henne had all freaking day back there yesterday.