Prediction of Pats vs Saints

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3860569. Show user_3860569's posts

Prediction of Pats vs Saints

38-28 New England 

The Saints struggled against the Rams. BB will make some adjustments on the D to contain not fully stop Brees, Brady to Moss/Welker connection becomes too much for New Orleans D. Any thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Re: Prediction of Pats vs Saints

I think we'll see what we've been seeing -- the Pats will scheme correctly and jump out early. The Saints will counter and take advantage of the Pats' inability to coach "in game," and the Saints come from behind to win late.

Nothing I've seen this season leads me to belive that the Pats are holding anything in abeyance. They're a paper tiger.

Except about the part where the Pats crush N'awlins in embarassing fashion.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AsylumGuido. Show AsylumGuido's posts

In Response to Prediction of Pats vs Saints:
    38-28 New England  The Saints struggled against the Rams. BB will make some adjustments on the D to contain not fully stop Brees, Brady to Moss/Welker connection becomes too much for New Orleans D. Any thoughts?
    Posted by NEPATS09

The Saints struggled against the Rams because they were facing Stephen Jackson and were missing nose tackle Sedrick Ellis (key to stopping the run game),  CB Jabari Greer and FS Darren Sharper.  CB Tracey Porter was injured early in the game, as well.  It was a game where everything that could go wrong for the Saints did go wrong.  And yet, while watching the game I never had the feeling that they were not going to hold on for the win.  Great teams survive under those conditions.

That said, if the Pats can hang with the Sainst early it could be a close game with the Sainst coming out on top 31-27.  But, if the Saints score first I wouldn't be surprised to see a 38-23 type of final score in the Saints favor.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I should hope "great teams" can overcome an expected incidence of injury to beat a one-dimensional, talent-bereft team. If you're suggesting that "surviving" under those horribly adverse conditions against one of the worst teams in the league should be an indicator of optimism against the best offense you're ever going to face then I think I should be . . .

well . . .

not to put too fine a point on it . . .

questioning your sanity.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Can they stop Welker and if they do can they then stop Moss and Edelman who is quickly becoming a Welker clone.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AsylumGuido. Show AsylumGuido's posts

In Response to Re: Prediction of Pats vs Saints:
    Can they stop Welker and if they do can they then stop Moss and Edelman who is quickly becoming a Welker clone.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida

No.  I do not expect them to "stop" them, but to contain them enough to win the game.  The Patriots have a mediocre running attack (ranked 15th in the NFL) which will allow the Saints to put pressure on Brady and still work to contain Moss, Welker and Edelman.  On the otherhand, the Saints have the 5th ranked running attack and five dangerous weapons in the passing game in Colston, Henderson, Meachem, Shockey and Bush.  There is no need to shut down the Patriots to win the game.  The question should be, can the Patriots stop the Saints?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Prediction of Pats vs Saints:
    38-28 New England  The Saints struggled against the Rams. BB will make some adjustments on the D to contain not fully stop Brees, Brady to Moss/Welker connection becomes too much for New Orleans D. Any thoughts?
    Posted by NEPATS09

I believe brady and company are looking at the saints depleted secondary and licking their chops. Greer, torrance, porter and sharper, all starters, are all injured. They're signing FA DBs in the middle of the season, that's a bad sign if you're a saints fan, great news for us.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I think the secret to this game is turning Sharper around.

He is 34 and on a gimp knee. If he plays they need to run Watson and Moss at him directly from the slot to get a clean release.

New Orleans gets a lot of coverage sacks, so I think NE can stop their four man front.

Stopping their offense is stopping four sprinters. All of these guys are legit downfield threats, so disrupting them at the LOS might not be the best option, unless it is short yardage. This means downfield bracketing in Zone and generous pressure on Brees, who does make more mistakes that people think. I believe NE can get this done, which leaves Shockey, and hoepfulyl McGowan can continue to limit TE plays.

Turn them into a running team, and you have a good chance at a low score.

Above all, do not turn the ball over. Their defense isn't great at stopping teams, but they are the most opportunistic defense in the league. Zero to one TO from NE means a victory IMO.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3860569. Show user_3860569's posts

Well the Pats will take some of those weapons away from the Saints they always take a key player or two away from the opponents, like I said shutting down Brees won't happen but containing him will. I do think if Sammy Morris is ready to go that should help the running game out, him and Taylor were doing a great job before they got hurt.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AsylumGuido. Show AsylumGuido's posts

In Response to Prediction of Pats vs Saints : I believe brady and company are looking at the saints depleted secondary and licking their chops. Greer, torrance, porter and sharper, all starters, are all injured. They're signing FA DBs in the middle of the season, that's a bad sign if you're a saints fan, great news for us.
    Posted by unclealfie

Wrong.  The only injured starter in the secondary is Tracy Porter, the second year CB.  He was replaced by our 2009 first rounder Malcom Jenkins who did a great job against the Bucs last week.  Both Greer and Sharper will be ready to go.  Sharper, in fact, returned last week.  Leigh Torrence was a practice squad player that was activated to fill a roster sport when Porter and Greer were out.  The fourth member of the starting backfield, SS Roman Harper is having a pro bowl type year.  This is basically the same secondary that has limited its opponents to only seven TD in ten games.  Not worthy of bringing on chop licking.

This is why I like visiting opponents board.  I learn about there teams.  You should do more research yourself.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

You're missing the point again, Guido.

It's not about who's on defense.

The Pats lick their chops every week.

Trust us when we tell you, you haven't seen weapons like this yet.

The Saints can beat the Pats -- but they're gonna have to score 40 to do it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AsylumGuido. Show AsylumGuido's posts

You're missing the point again, Guido. It's not about who's on defense. The Pats lick their chops every week. Trust us when we tell you, you haven't seen weapons like this yet. The Saints can beat the Pats -- but they're gonna have to score 40 to do it.
    Posted by prairiemike

And the Patriots have not seen weapons like the Saints have.  I seriously doubt it will take 40 points to win it, but the Saints are fully capable of putting up that many against the Pats defense.  I am not missing the point at all. What I am saying is that the Patriots will not see the ball as much as usual.  The Saints are one of the top rushing teams in the league and can play a ball possession game with the best of them.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KellieMB. Show KellieMB's posts

In Response to Re: Prediction of Pats vs Saints : And the Patriots have not seen weapons like the Saints have.  I seriously doubt it will take 40 points to win it, but the Saints are fully capable of putting up that many against the Pats defense.  I am not missing the point at all. What I am saying is that the Patriots will not see the ball as much as usual.  The Saints are one of the top rushing teams in the league and can play a ball possession game with the best of them.
    Posted by AsylumGuido

Uh, no.

What I'm saying is you know nothing about the Patriots.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

Patriots by 10

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

The team who scores more will win.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

"The team who scores more will win."  Not necessarily. 

Team A scores 4 times (all Field Goals)

Team B scores 3 times (all TD's)

Team A scored more times then team B yet Team B wins.

Just playing.Laughing

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

The Saints are very good at running out of different formations. This is something that I am a little nervous about. The Pats are great at stopping power run teams, but the Saints can disguise the runs very well and have 3 very capable backs. So the crazy guys point about ball control is valid.

However Asylum guy do you know which team  leads the NFL in time of possession? The answer is the Patriots. Tom Brady is back in the dome where he wins superbowls. We have the best wr duo in NFL history(thats right) and the Saints are in for a long uphill battle in trying to slow this offense down.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from KellieMB. Show KellieMB's posts

The Saints are very good at running out of different formations. This is something that I am a little nervous about. The Pats are great at stopping power run teams, but the Saints can disguise the runs very well and have 3 very capable backs. So the crazy guys point about ball control is valid. However Asylum guy do you know which team  leads the NFL in time of possession? The answer is the Patriots. Tom Brady is back in the dome where he wins superbowls. We have the best wr duo in NFL history(thats right) and the Saints are in for a long uphill battle in trying to slow this offense down.
    Posted by TrueChamp

I thought this was the case, but I didn't feel like looking it up, so thanks!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Taking strength of schedule so far, stats suggest Saints by less than a TD with each team scoring between 24 and 30 pts. Additional factors need to be adjusted for  -- Saints have not had to play a Colts-caliber opponent and Pats played below norm during the first two weeks (both inflating pts allowed by Pats). After adjustment, I have the Pats winning by less than a TD. 

I think Pats start strong again, but this time, hold the Saints off in the second half. I am thinking Pats force a key turnover at close to the 2-min mark in the fourth, to close the game.

Pats 31-27

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AdrenalineJunkie. Show AdrenalineJunkie's posts

Guido you keep saying that the NE defense is not good to deal with the Saints, so if the Pats are not good enough, then what makes you think the Saints are good enough to deal with the Pats, considering they D is worse than the Pats? Here are some numbers for you:
    Defense:
    Saints:  PTS 20.4 (13th); YDS 330.6 (17th); PASS YDS 214.9 (16th); RUSH YDS 115.7 (19th)
    Pats: PTS 16.4 (2nd); YDS 296.7(6th); PASS YDS 187.3 (6th); RUSH YDS 109.4 (14th)
    Offense:
    Saints: PTS 36.9 (1st) YDS 420.5 (1st); PASS YDS 266.2 (6th); RUSH YDS 154.3 (5th)
    Pats: PTS 29.0 (3rd); YDS 416.1 (2nd); PASS YDS 302.3 (2nd); RUSH YDS 113.8 (15th)

Basically, in the stats that REALLY matter, which is points scored and points allowed, the pats are 3rd in scoring and 2nd in points allowed, and although the Saints are 1st in scoring, they are 13th in points allowed.

The numbers are very close. I mean it’s not like the Saints score 21 more points a game than the Pats. Both teams have had some good games, some not so good ones. The Pats have the most 1st half points, the Saints have the most 2nd half points.  You just want to focus on the 2nd half and ignore the 1st.

I may not know as much about football as many on this board, but does it really matter WHEN you score the points? Or is the important thing to score more than the other team?

You say the Pats rushing offense is not as good – the difference is 40 yards per game, which is the same difference in passing yards between the passing – so basically the Saints get those 40 yards rushing, while the Pats are getting them by passing – whoop ti doo. There is only a 4 yard difference in yards between the 2 teams, does it really matter if those 40 yards come by passing or rushing? Isn’t the point to maximize your strengths??

The beauty about stats is that you can manipulate them anyway you want in order to make your point.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Marcus1973. Show Marcus1973's posts

40-37 Saints

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AsylumGuido. Show AsylumGuido's posts

In Response to Re: Prediction of Pats vs Saints : Uh, no. What I'm saying is you know nothing about the Patriots.
    Posted by KellieMB

No, actually I know quite a bit about the Patriots.  Besides the Saints, who I have watched every snap for several years, I have seen more Pats snaps than any other NFL team.  I have Sunday Ticket and NFL network.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

Pats 38 Saints 32.

Guido, have seen a few of your posts recently. Some intelligent, some not so much. Fact is I like the other Pats fans on this forum will only have to look at that ridiculous pic of yours for 3 more days.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from AsylumGuido. Show AsylumGuido's posts

Pats 38 Saints 32. Guido, have seen a few of your posts recently. Some intelligent, some not so much. Fact is I like the other Pats fans on this forum will only have to look at that ridiculous pic of yours for 3 more days.
    Posted by MaritimePatsFan

No, you'll see it for at least four more days.  I will be back after the game.  As for my avatar, It simply fits my lifelong (almost) nickname of Guido all to well.  I use it on every forum of which I am a member.  Extremely recognizable.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from AsylumGuido. Show AsylumGuido's posts

Guido you keep saying that the NE defense is not good to deal with the Saints, so if the Pats are not good enough, then what makes you think the Saints are good enough to deal with the Pats, considering they D is worse than the Pats? Here are some numbers for you: Defense: Saints:  PTS 20.4 (13th); YDS 330.6 (17th); PASS YDS 214.9 (16th); RUSH YDS 115.7 (19th) Pats: PTS 16.4 (2nd); YDS 296.7(6th); PASS YDS 187.3 (6th); RUSH YDS 109.4 (14th) Offense: Saints: PTS 36.9 (1st) YDS 420.5 (1st); PASS YDS 266.2 (6th); RUSH YDS 154.3 (5th) Pats: PTS 29.0 (3rd); YDS 416.1 (2nd); PASS YDS 302.3 (2nd); RUSH YDS 113.8 (15th) Basically, in the stats that REALLY matter, which is points scored and points allowed, the pats are 3rd in scoring and 2nd in points allowed, and although the Saints are 1st in scoring, they are 13th in points allowed. The numbers are very close. I mean it’s not like the Saints score 21 more points a game than the Pats. Both teams have had some good games, some not so good ones. The Pats have the most 1st half points, the Saints have the most 2nd half points.  You just want to focus on the 2nd half and ignore the 1st. I may not know as much about football as many on this board, but does it really matter WHEN you score the points? Or is the important thing to score more than the other team? You say the Pats rushing offense is not as good – the difference is 40 yards per game, which is the same difference in passing yards between the passing – so basically the Saints get those 40 yards rushing, while the Pats are getting them by passing – whoop ti doo. There is only a 4 yard difference in yards between the 2 teams, does it really matter if those 40 yards come by passing or rushing? Isn’t the point to maximize your strengths?? The beauty about stats is that you can manipulate them anyway you want in order to make your point.
    Posted by AdrenalineJunkie

Yes, is does make a difference when points are scored.  The second have is never played in the same manner as the first.  The ability to score in the score in the second half, or the inability to score in the second half quite often means the difference between winning and losing.  The Saints ability has resulted in victories, while the PAts failure has resulted in losses.  It is as simple as that. 

As for the other point, rushing yardage is much more important tahn passing yardage as it directly translates to time of possesion.  When dealing with two explosive offenses such as this the the ability to burn the clock in key situations can also be a game maker.

Sections
Shortcuts