Prediction Time: First Draft Pick

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Re: Prediction Time: First Draft Pick

There's no way Hagerman is a safe pick.  He checks out for large stretches and would be too much of a gamble if they moved up to grab him.  If he's still there when the Pats are on the board, ok, cross your fingers and pull the trigger, but in no way would I recommend moving up to get him.  As for the comparisons to Watt, yes BB did and does praise Watt, but it wasn't just for his size, strength, and athletic ability.  It's because he also has the mental toughness, motor, intelligence, and mindset you want. 

5 years from now we might be able to say he was the greatest player in this years draft.  There's just as much of a chance to say wow what a waste. 

Personally I'm all for trading out of the 1st and picking up an additional 2nd and 3rd.  4 picks in the first 3 rounds should land us some studs and help fill some gaping holes or big question marks that we currently have.  BB has done well in the draft the last couple years, minus his annual reach of course.  With the addition of Lombardi, I'm feeling very good about this draft.  Just wish it would hurry up and get here, this May crap is for the birds. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Hageman is boom or bust and most times they bust..we won't be taking him...picking 29, you either trade back to collect picks (especially in a deep draft like this one), trade up to grab someone you want BADLY, who YOU KNOW will work out well, or you pick the best guy available with the greatest likelihood of having a positive impact...you can't afford to guess wrong...let some other GM have that opportunity to achieve NFL greatness by guessing well with "Al Haynesworth Jr." Hageman...

Would love Shazier to slip, most likely Nix, hope it's not Amaro.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pats trade 29 for 2nd and 3rd; pick up Hageman who. astonishingly, remains undrafted until early 2nd.  (Hey, a guy can dream, can't he?"

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Or kidnap GM's families to make sure he falls. Not saying you should, just saying ATJ it's better than dreaming  >.>

[/QUOTE]

<<V-8 headsmack>>  I'm on it!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"Good idea, but I like different guys I think Tuitt is going to fall, my other 2 are Telvin Smith,gives us speed at LB-SS and WR Donte Moncrief. But, what the heck do I know."

TB...  Had to negate my 1st response.  The purities of the Ideals beyond & within the Energies out of Form one can see & envision is free, ya know?  ...But self-interests & not giving back blind the realities, here and there & now then and then.  Info & Progress is as free as you are & strive towards being.  IF you read the 1st post & you are deeper in the know as I believe, Do very well by all that (responsible).  Needless to say, those 3 selections Are, Good Ones. 

People should work for Minimum wage...because they have to push half those earnings back upon.  When it's not, "destiny''s" either a real pr#ck or a real b#tch.  Believe It.  You are a good analyst-you have clear sight..Don't let it get to your head. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

One of these:

Ra'Shede Hageman

Tuitt

Nix

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Halfway through the second round, Jeff Janis from Saginaw Valley State.

Who?  Where?  Why?

LOL.... Janis will be available in the 6th.

[/QUOTE]

Draft day is a wild gamble where 31/32 of all players go to some other team.  Given those terrible odds, I tend to hit reasonably well during draft week. 

I'll take a flyer on Janis because:

1.  He isn't far from Wes Welker's explosiveness,

2.  and yet he weighs 220.  That's crazy!  He'll never be successfully single-covered during his entire career, not by a healthy Revis Island, not by anyone.  Nor will he ever be bullied at the line of scrimmage, unlike Welker versus certain aggressive cornerbacks. Janis is way too heavyset and can bull-rush his way into a pattern, possibly pancaking the defender which leaves him open.

3.  He's a small school wonder.  BB goes for them.  Nobody else notices.

4.  Pretty long levers.  He can body a defender out of the play and reach out beyond the defender's fingers to grab the pass.  For a receiver he could be a surprisingly good pass-blocker, and he's almost heavy enough to run-block downfield.  If somebody else catches the football then Janis turns into a human bomb downfield, strong explosion times mass, and then he really takes out one backfield defender.  In a while the opponent's backfield doesn't work so well.

The main complaint about Janis is that, just like Wes Welker, he takes a dive to the turf after he catches the football and before he gets himself clobbered.  Maybe that's smart of him.  Janis has tiny hands but if he takes those well-timed dives nobody will ever get the opportunity to knock the football out of his mitts.

Safe prediction:  he'll never reach the sixth round. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric1. Show KyleCleric1's posts

Carlos Hyde, why not? :P

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ra'Shede Hageman best guess. If Pryor, nix , or Ealy, Shazier fell I would like to see them but Hageman is safest out of all 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check out my Pats/Sports Blog:

http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow">http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow">http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow">http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow">http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/

[/QUOTE]

I can see the thought process if Hageman is the guy... size, length and a ton of upside, but I would not call him a safe pick.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Agree, I wouldn't call him a safe pick in the least. But, I see him as a Solder type of high upside with unique measurables. If they feel he can learn and they can coach him no doubt they would take him, but since we don't know if they feel that way he's either a sure pick or a he's not on our board pick.

[/QUOTE]

OH oh, no no I didn't mean safe like that. I meant safe like, its safe to say he most likely going to be picked. Safest as in odds. he's got a ton of bust potential too

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Draft day is a wild gamble where 31/32 of all players go to some other team.  Given those terrible odds, I tend to hit reasonably well during draft week. 

I'll take a flyer on Janis because:

1.  He isn't far from Wes Welker's explosiveness, and yet he weighs 220.  That's crazy!  He'll never be successfully single-covered during his entire career, not by a healthy Revis Island, not by anyone.  Nor will he ever be bullied at the line of scrimmage, unlike Welker.

2.  He's a small school wonder.  BB goes for them.  Nobody else notices.

3.  Pretty long levers. 

The main complaint about Janis is that, just like Wes Welker, he takes a dive to the turf after he catches the football and before he gets himself clobbered.  Maybe that's smart of him.  Janis has tiny hands but if he takes those well-timed dives nobody will ever get the opportunity to knock the football out of his mitts.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Not sure Welker is a good comparison given the massive height difference and how it affects their style of play.  Janis is more of a 1 move possession WR who gets up to speed quick, Welkers more a multi move quick player. Though you are right about the knowing when to duck aspect. I've been following Janis since he got invited to the senior bowl. His numbers are outstanding at his level but at the senior bowl he was pretty average. He couldn't generate separation and it seemed he doesn't know how to deal with people who punch him at the line in comparison to the smaller school players who gave him room. Kind of reminds me of the hype around Price actually. I wouldn't mind taking a shot at him in the 5th-7th range for the size, speed combo but day 2 guys like Coleman, Latimer, Moncrief might be better quality players

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

my prediction for Pats pick: not sure who it will be, but a few things I think; I think they will draft in the first round and not trade out of it unless blown away by a trade offer (because of the 5th year contract option on first rounder's). I think whomever they draft will be a team CPT on his current team, and will have an unbridled love for football (not Ra'Sheed Hageman). I think it will also be someone we all are not discussing!

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Most Unlikely Pick: Teddy Bridgewater

Ok, I realize DE/DL/LB are our most pressing needs. And I know Bridgewater has fallen because of his frame/weight, wobbly ball etc. at his pro day but I love his accuracy, completion percentage above 70%, TD/Interception ratio, leadership, ability to win and sacrifice for the team. Furthermore, I value his track record on the field over the last 3 years over a pro-day and workouts.  I think whoever takes him will be happy.

And his initials are also TB! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

BB decides to torture us all by taking a CB in the first round

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:
    [QUOTE]

BB decides to torture us all by taking a CB in the first round

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Or a punter  >.>

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nightrider495. Show nightrider495's posts

Trade down and get an extra 2nd Rd pick and 3rd Rd pick... they take Deone Bucannon with their first 2nd Rd pick.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Tuitt or Nix...I'm going with Tuitt because Nix won't be there and we really haven't had a true 34 defensive end in a while.

I'd be happy with a few different guys in the first...

Nix

Truitt

Cooks

Lee

Attaochu

Dee Ford

Jernigan

Aaron Donald (I'd trade up for him because he'd change your pass defense...how will they block Jones and him? With maybe a little Jaime Collins mixed in)

And a bunch in the second...

Deone Buchannon

Sankey

Amaro (I'd consider him in the first)

Jarvis Landry (and I would even reach for him in the first)

Daquan Jones

Easly (late second)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I still say any of the following:

Ra'Shede Hageman

Tuitt

Nix

I think some here are undervaluing Hageman but I get it. He or Tuitt might both be the next Seymour. Nix might be the next Vinny. I prefer a Seymour to a Vinny but we need solid NT play even with a Seymour.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I still say any of the following:

Ra'Shede Hageman

Tuitt

Nix

I think some here are undervaluing Hageman but I get it. He or Tuitt might both be the next Seymour. Nix might be the next Vinny. I prefer a Seymour to a Vinny but we need solid NT play even with a Seymour.

[/QUOTE]

I get he has all world potential, but potential is a very dangerous thing when talking about first round picks. This kid plays like a third round pick for the most part, but when you look at his size and potential he jumps into the first...that's a little scary.

He says all the right things, he looks like an all world talent, but he doesn't play like it. Now he very easily could develop into something special, but he has a long way to go...you'd have to wait for that to develop (and hope that it does), then you'd be losing him as a free agent once he did.

I do like him, it's just that I don't love him either.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Lovin' cwotb's.  So Here's My IDEAL Draft...no change here on out til draft day:

Here's your 2nd Rders outlined in OP & OP's trade scenario:

Stephen Tuitt 4-3DT <a front w/ s-w: Jones Tuitt VW & Nink...nasty>

Telvin Smith MLB-spread/OLB-4-3versatility <Mayo Tuitt Hightower> maybe <Mayo Tuitt Hightower> maybe <Hightower Mayo Tuitt> I can't get a total feel of who where yet in a 4-3 LB set...so many positives & negatives of potential strengths & weaknesses.

Donte Mcrief possession WR/Move TE

Then granted the following options remaining...

2 4th Rd prospects + 2 6th Rd prospects + 1 7th Rd prospect

or:

1 3rd Rd Prospect + 1 4th Rd prospect + 1 6th Rd prospect + 1 7th Rd prospect

or:

1 4th Rd prospect + 2 6th Rd prospects + 1 7th Rd prospect + 1 conditional 3rd Rder in '15

or:

1 4th Rd prospect + 1 6th Rd prospect + 1 7th Rd prospect + 1 conditional 2nd Rder in '15 

I'd choose ^;  And then select:

Isaiah Crowell RB UGA

Spencer Long OG Nebraska

Highest rated 7th Rd QB Prospect who fell...unless a huge slider is available in the 6th...then I'd hope Long would still be there in the 7th.

6 player Draft net...and 1 2nd Rder for '15.

Das it...save for Crowell...'cause man, I like Hill so much and wish we could've kept Blount (big mistake) or signed Michael Bush (another big mistake).

...But How NICE would The Above Draft be?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Good Stuff Laz, we need to get some picks in that 2nd Round this year. Always liked your Draft analysis. By the way, the guy I like in this Draft at the Safety Position is Jonathan Dowling. I know he is more built like a FS, but I love height. In this crazy Passing Offense league, nothing beats height. You can make mistakes, and just because your just 3 or 4 inches taller than a regular Safety, you can make it up.
    You line up in DB in certain situations, like Collins, Smith, and just say Dowling, you created a harder window for a QB, to make a perfect pass. In fact it always it has to be. Another thing, our old nemesis Manning, he is a lobber now, doesn't throw the same as when he was younger. But is a good lobber, you match height against a QB, who doesn't fire bullets.
    Bill Walsh was a big advocate on height in the Defensive Backfield. Actually he loved height everywhere on Defense.

By the way this kid Collins is going o be Special, last year he was covering Thomas on certain plays in Denver. That's Special. We need someone to compliment him in certain situations, thus the Telvin Smith selection.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Shazier

with enough thrust, pigs fly just fine!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

Joel Bitonio - boring and typical. Could be a CB too depending on if they plan to keep Revis and Browner. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Tuitt or Nix...I'm going with Tuitt because Nix won't be there and we really haven't had a true 34 defensive end in a while.

I'd be happy with a few different guys in the first...

Nix

Truitt

Cooks

Lee

Attaochu

Dee Ford

Jernigan

Aaron Donald (I'd trade up for him because he'd change your pass defense...how will they block Jones and him? With maybe a little Jaime Collins mixed in)

And a bunch in the second...

Deone Buchannon

Sankey

Amaro (I'd consider him in the first)

Jarvis Landry (and I would even reach for him in the first)

Daquan Jones

Easly (late second)

[/QUOTE]

Great list.  I agree across the board except I wouldn't take Dee Ford in the 1st, I'd reach for Landry over Amaro, and I would not touch Easley even in the late 2nd.  Overall, terrific players here.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

The madness has started...almost every analyst and draft program I watch on TV has started the slow creep into paralysis by analysis...way too much time for teams and agents to float BS about who they want, how good certain players are, where they'll be drafted and who's trading up and down...you cannot tell which way is up or down....every mock draft site has an entire different big board and different scales as to who's stock is rising and falling...it's laughable at this point....and entirely predictable.

I stick with Nix if he's available, prior knee injury or not...at this point if their careers, nearly every major college player has had a knee tweek and they certainly will not finish their pro careers without a couple of knee procedures, so that doesn't scare me...it's not like he's got "Easley Knees". So I'll stick with my original choice...I just can't feature Hageman...to much of an effort question mark...one Kenneth "game day" Sims per franchise is plenty, and he's just about the same in every other category in terms of game impact ability...you can't measure heart, or should I say, the IMPORTANCE of heart....I say let someone else turn him into an all-pro...

If no Nix, no Shazier and you can't trade down, heck I'd even be willing to go with Deone Buchanon or Su'a Fila from UCLA, even Bitonio...while not sexy picks, they'll produce....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

I know that Nix is not the sexy pick but the OP was about who the first player the Pats pick in this years draft regardless of whether they trade up or down.  I picked Nix not necessarily because that is who I would want their first pick to be but I could see Belichick going with him.  

I woudn't be really disappointed if it were Nix especially if they got him in the second round.  I think any big body like him who is really just a NT would be able to help immediately and give VW a break.  Especially if the Pats would like to run more 34 defense.

Sections
Shortcuts