Prediction Time: Will Ryan Mallett still be a Patriot a week from now?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Prediction Time: Will Ryan Mallett still be a Patriot a week from now?

It's been pretty quiet lately.  I say we will keep him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Re: Prediction Time: Will Ryan Mallett still be a Patriot a week from now?

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

YES

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

With tampa Bay spending their first round pick that would put them out of the running. Leaving only Jacksonville or Cleveland as suitors. My guess is he plays for the Patriots in 2013.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

With tampa Bay spending their first round pick that would put them out of the running. Leaving only Jacksonville or Cleveland as suitors. My guess is he plays for the Patriots in 2013.

well he won't PLAY but he will be there

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Yes, the Pats will hang onto him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

i hop ento id rather have the pick then him walk next year. and the pcik could help us win a sb.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

i hop ento id rather have the pick then him walk next year. and the pcik could help us win a sb.

His contract doesn't end until after the 2014 season, so he won't be walking for two more years. They could still deal him a year from now.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I say he stays

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'm hearing Buf will take a QB with the #8 pick and the Jets will take Geno if he makes it to one of their first 2 picks. If that's true then that will leave essentially Maneul and either Barkley or Nassib (depending on who Buf choses) after the top 13 picks. Some team will get nervous and move up to grab one of them which means 5 teams will be left holding the bag (Phi, Ari, Clev, Oak, Jax, TB). So regardless how you look at it there still is a good shot (50/50) at Mallett getting traded. One of the huge wild cards will be Chip Kelley. Phi could use a new QB and Mallett's big arm fits Kelley's style, not to mention that he's been in BB's system which runs like a Kelley system. If Phi decides that Mallett is worth a 2nd over say a Manuel or Nassib/Barkley I could see them tossing the Pats a 2nd for Mallett.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I'm hearing Buf will take a QB with the #8 pick and the Jets will take Geno if he makes it to one of their first 2 picks. If that's true then that will leave essentially Maneul and either Barkley or Nassib (depending on who Buf choses) after the top 13 picks. Some team will get nervous and move up to grab one of them which means 5 teams will be left holding the bag (Phi, Ari, Clev, Oak, Jax, TB). So regardless how you look at it there still is a good shot (50/50) at Mallett getting traded. One of the huge wild cards will be Chip Kelley. Phi could use a new QB and Mallett's big arm fits Kelley's style, not to mention that he's been in BB's system which runs like a Kelley system. If Phi decides that Mallett is worth a 2nd over say a Manuel or Nassib/Barkley I could see them tossing the Pats a 2nd for Mallett.

Interesting thought.  I really hadn't considered Philly.  I would think that Kelly would want someone more mobile than Mallett, but we'll see...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Interesting thought.  I really hadn't considered Philly.  I would think that Kelly would want someone more mobile than Mallett, but we'll see...

Yes , i agree. I see no resemblance between BB and Kelly offense.

i think we also have to ask if Mallett is traded who is still availabe for back up? Cant see Pats going in with Kafka as the 2

i could see one of the listed teams trading back into round 1 for #29 to draft a qb as well

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Even if we draft a rookie, our backup QB situation would be pretty scary if Mallett leaves.  BB would pretty much be banking on Brady staying healthy for 19 games.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

Great thread, I have been thinking about this for the past week.  It was just reported that the Browns might draft a QB.  I wonder if that deal is in place that would send Mallet and #29 to the Browns in echange for #6.

If the Browns are smart, they would trade with Miami first (#6 for #12, and a 2nd) and then trade #12 to the Pats for Mallet and #29.  I would be happy with that too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

In response to Army2LT's comment:

Great thread, I have been thinking about this for the past week.  It was just reported that the Browns might draft a QB.  I wonder if that deal is in place that would send Mallet and #29 to the Browns in echange for #6.

If the Browns are smart, they would trade with Miami first (#6 for #12, and a 2nd) and then trade #12 to the Pats for Mallet and #29.  I would be happy with that too.

Good point

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Yes.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

i think we also have to ask if Mallett is traded who is still availabe for back up? Cant see Pats going in with Kafka as the 2

i could see one of the listed teams trading back into round 1 for #29 to draft a qb as well

BB based his new offense off of Chip Kelleys offense, how do you see no resemblance?

Direct quote from BB:

"“I was interested to hear how he did it,” Belichick explained of Kelly's no huddle knowledge. “I would say he expanded it to a different level and it was very interesting to understand what he was doing. Certainly I’ve learned a lot from talking to Chip about his experiences with it and how he does it and his procedure and all that.”"

http://www.footballscoop.com/news/7637-how-chip-kelly-influenced-the-patriots-no-huddle

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/10/08/patriots-huddle-relies-power-one/nHTapuVnBOwfFlffwTrN6J/story.html

As to the second point, he's a backup! You grab another guy to fill that role. Personally I like Tuel in the 7th to fit that role. But, they had Cassel and then they had Hoyer who for 1 year was the only backup before Mallett so they aren't afraid to use late round or UDFA guys as primary backups. If Brady goes down Mallett's not going to get us a SB anyways so why wouldn't you trade him for a potential 2nd round pick that can be used for a player that can contribute on the field this year instead of having a backup sitting on the bench? Now if you can't get better then a 2nd I agree the value isn't there to trade Mallett but to say they wouldn't because they don't have a backup? They did it with Cassel  why wouldn't they do it with Mallett?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

You haven't been paying attention then. There was a lot written about this last year, how the no-huddle operates on the same principles as Kelly's system, how Kelly had spent time in Foxborough, etc. There's a lot of commonality.

The misconception is that you need a mobile QB to run Kelly's type of offense.  You don't at all, you need someone like Brady who can make fast decisions, has a strong arm and is accurate. Mobility never hurts, but we're not talking about an option offense with Kelly. 

Now whether Mallett can run it is an open question, but at least he's been exposed to it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

You haven't been paying attention then. There was a lot written about this last year, how the no-huddle operates on the same principles as Kelly's system, how Kelly had spent time in Foxborough, etc. There's a lot of commonality.

The misconception is that you need a mobile QB to run Kelly's type of offense.  You don't at all, you need someone like Brady who can make fast decisions, has a strong arm and is accurate. Mobility never hurts, but we're not talking about an option offense with Kelly. 

Now whether Mallett can run it is an open question, but at least he's been exposed to it.

the principles are playing fast, and the terminology. The Pats play fast approx 30-40% of their snaps. The Ducks 100%.
    The Ducks rely on read and react option QB play with the QB running very often, with the threat of a QB pass/run or handing off to the RB's.

When the PAts are in hurry up, TB tends to be in shot gun formation. 100% of the time he will not run, 95% of the time he will not hand off to the back.

I see no similarities in the way the offenses operate, other than the PAts are in hurry up about 1/3 rd of the time...with TB throwing about 95% while in hurry up

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

BB was interested in the way Kelly used terminology to increase the speed of play calling, not in the specific plays that were being called. Kelly developed single word calls that included everything from formation to routes to O-line assignments. This was what BB was most interested in. And for that reason I do not see the match between Kelly's requirements for a QB and BB's. This is one reason there has been speculation about Foles being available from the Eagles - because he is more of a pocket passer without the mobility that Kelly likes.

On Mallett - I think it is still about 50/50 that he gets traded for a second or third round selection - with some extra pikcs this year or next.

On Cleveland - I agree that if they can find any value in moving back from #6 to mid teens they will do it quickly and I think Miami would be a prime partner because they would really like to get a top LT in this draft and they will miss on the top three at #12. They also have 2 second rounders and 2 third rounders to manouver with.

On the Pats back-up for this year if Mallett were traded - I don't think Kafka is that bad an option - he had a nice couple of years in Phily and the former coach their was pretty good at picking/working QBs. Pats are scrambling anyway if TB goes down so I am not sure it is that big a concern.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

Considering the QB quality is god awful in this year's draft and TB doesn't like Freeman and now has the Jets former 16 mil per year problem on their books, I can't see them being able to pay for a QB at 12-20 million in the future, which makes Mallett a valuable commodity, IMO.

I am stll leaning towards him being dealt. I also can't see Lombardi liking Geno Smith or any of these crappy prospects.   Barring the prospects being as bad or worse next year, it would appear to be a prime market for him to be dealt. 

I still have no idea why any Pats fan would want to keep a chip like this for no reason letting his rookie deal expire after 2014.   Makes no sense. That said, if BB doesn't like the offers and the QB market is weak next year, yes, hold on to him.

But, I'd take no less than a 2nd and just sign Brady Quinn to back up Brady.  Seems like a no brainer to me.

Arizona needs a QB, maybe Philly as mentioned above. Heck, a lot of teams could use higher quality prospect like Mallett over what's available.

Chicago would also be an option if they want to move on from from crappy Cutler. Jax is another.

Brady Quinn signed with the Seahawks so that option is out

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to mia76's comment:

BB was interested in the way Kelly used terminology to increase the speed of play calling, not in the specific plays that were being called. Kelly developed single word calls that included everything from formation to routes to O-line assignments. This was what BB was most interested in. And for that reason I do not see the match between Kelly's requirements for a QB and BB's. This is one reason there has been speculation about Foles being available from the Eagles - because he is more of a pocket passer without the mobility that Kelly likes.

That is how I saw the situation as well, but Muzzy said I was missing something. I simply dont see the similarities

On Mallett - I think it is still about 50/50 that he gets traded for a second or third round selection - with some extra pikcs this year or next.

I understand the value in the picks. I also understand Mallett would walk after 2014. But I also see the value in the #2 QB, and BB has stated publicly regarding the value of the #2. We all saw in Indy what happened when Manning went down

On Cleveland - I agree that if they can find any value in moving back from #6 to mid teens they will do it quickly and I think Miami would be a prime partner because they would really like to get a top LT in this draft and they will miss on the top three at #12. They also have 2 second rounders and 2 third rounders to manouver with.

I can see the Browns trading up into #29 to take a QB, and the PAts turning #29 into more picks

On the Pats back-up for this year if Mallett were traded - I don't think Kafka is that bad an option - he had a nice couple of years in Phily and the former coach their was pretty good at picking/working QBs. Pats are scrambling anyway if TB goes down so I am not sure it is that big a concern.

To my knowledge, Kafka has never taken a snap in a regular season game, and was over taken by Foles last preseason and cut.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

If Mallet is traded the Pats have Mike (don't call Franz)Kafka at back-up, therefore BB would sign some camp cut or likely 3rd stringer. I'd say keep Mallett unless the Pats brass is offered a great deal.