Prediction Time: Will Ryan Mallett still be a Patriot a week from now?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Re: Prediction Time: Will Ryan Mallett still be a Patriot a week from now?

In response to rkarp's comment:

In response to mia76's comment:

I understand the value in the picks. I also understand Mallett would walk after 2014. But I also see the value in the #2 QB, and BB has stated publicly regarding the value of the #2. We all saw in Indy what happened when Manning went down

My read of Indy is that they were a team in decline already - aging - and with a QB in Manning that did not like back-ups taking any reps from him so their back-ups did not get developed. Then, when they knew Manning wasn't playing for the whole year they did NOTHING to replace him. And finally, they took one year of misery and turned it into Luck and a pretty bright future, a pretty reasonable price to pay.

Pats have a better though very limited history of back-up QBs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I just don't see how any team can give up anything more than a third round pick for a guy that was drafted in the third and has done nothing to show he was worthy of being drafted higher. Those are the types of moves that get GMs fired - I doubt Lombardi wants to start his career off in Cleveland like that. 

Don't get me wrong, I sure hope it happens, but I doubt it will.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I understand the value in the picks. I also understand Mallett would walk after 2014. But I also see the value in the #2 QB, and BB has stated publicly regarding the value of the #2. We all saw in Indy what happened when Manning went down

My read of Indy is that they were a team in decline already - aging - and with a QB in Manning that did not like back-ups taking any reps from him so their back-ups did not get developed. Then, when they knew Manning wasn't playing for the whole year they did NOTHING to replace him. And finally, they took one year of misery and turned it into Luck and a pretty bright future, a pretty reasonable price to pay.

so they intentionally tanked costing the coach and GM their jobs?

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

I just don't see how any team can give up anything more than a third round pick for a guy that was drafted in the third and has done nothing to show he was worthy of being drafted higher. Those are the types of moves that get GMs fired - I doubt Lombardi wants to start his career off in Cleveland like that. 

LMAO

So, no QB who is worth a 1st rder this year is worth a 1st rder just because AND that QB costs more than Mallett, and they're a WORSE prospect than 1st rd projected Mallett just 2 years ago?

Do you ever make sense.

Explain why you think Barkley, Smith, Manuel or Nassib are 1st rd talent, please.

So, you'd think it would be more normal for Lombardi to take EJ Manuel, Geno Smith or Barkley over investing in Mallett?

Why? They're not as good!  Why would you use a 1st on a worse prospect and have it be more expensive? That's dummy logic.

The only reason why Mallett dropped is because he allegedly tested positive for cocaine.  Now, 2 years late and being tutored by BB and Brady, with no issues and rave reviews, he's stilll worth only  3d rder?

Oh my.

Stick to lining the cupcake tins.

First off, lets not pretent that you have a clue what a good quarterback looks like. Next, lets not play games and pretend that you have any clue about the type of QB Mallett is or what any kids coming out in this draft will turn out to be. All we know is the facts - the facts are that Mallett was drafted in the third round and has played like a third rounder in preseason. The fact is Mallett - if he is as good as you say - would be our starting quarterback next season and we would be trading the older, more expensive Brady. That didn't happen...and it shouldn't of. 

Honestly most of us don't consider you someone that should be making predictions about future NFL prospects (you don't even know enough to understand how good OUR QB is). You're the village idiot for a reason...it's because that's what you are:)

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

BB's secret to success is he does the opposite.  You expect something and he does nothing.  Brilliant!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

I'm watching Seinfeld. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

LMAO

So, no QB who is worth a 1st rder this year is worth a 1st rder just because AND that QB costs more than Mallett, and they're a WORSE prospect than 1st rd projected Mallett just 2 years ago?

Do you ever make sense.

Explain why you think Barkley, Smith, Manuel or Nassib are 1st rd talent, please.

So, you'd think it would be more normal for Lombardi to take EJ Manuel, Geno Smith or Barkley over investing in Mallett?

Why? They're not as good!  Why would you use a 1st on a worse prospect and have it be more expensive? That's dummy logic.

The only reason why Mallett dropped is because he allegedly tested positive for cocaine.  Now, 2 years late and being tutored by BB and Brady, with no issues and rave reviews, he's stilll worth only  3d rder?

Oh my.

Stick to lining the cupcake tins.

First off, lets not pretent that you have a clue what a good quarterback looks like. Next, lets not play games and pretend that you have any clue about the type of QB Mallett is or what any kids coming out in this draft will turn out to be. All we know is the facts - the facts are that Mallett was drafted in the third round and has played like a third rounder in preseason. The fact is Mallett - if he is as good as you say - would be our starting quarterback next season and we would be trading the older, more expensive Brady. That didn't happen...and it shouldn't of. 

Honestly most of us don't consider you someone that should be making predictions about future NFL prospects (you don't even know enough to understand how good OUR QB is). You're the village idiot for a reason...it's because that's what you are:)

"pretent"? Is that what you do before setting up your campsite?

First off, let's pretend you aren't a Home Ec teacher and think Brady channeling Cutler or Romo is a good thing for us in the playoffs:

Geno Smith, Barkley, Manuel, etc, are in no way 1st rd picks. They may be for moron franchises, but they aren't 1st rd talent for 90% of QBs annually in draft classes.

Glad I could help.

"shouldn't of"?

I can see why you teach kids about baked goods for a living. lol

You have no idea who should be a first round pick. For the love of god, you are the guy that thought Merriweather was the second best safety in the AFC...you're the same guy that thought Chung improved our defense, when the rest of knew long ago he was a bust.

Hey thanks for spell checking, I imagine its the least an unemployed CVS shelf stocker can do. Keep up the good work. Lol.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

so they intentionally tanked costing the coach and GM their jobs?

Ummm, yes.  Polian was fired because he hadn't developed a legit backup behind Manning, so they tanked it and positioned for Luck, firing Polian in the process.

Yes.

I wouldn't call it 'intentional', but they didn't do much to find a qualified replacement once they knew manning wasn't playing. Maybe the cost was too high, but I don't remember even any rumors of talks with any other team. Not suggesting an Oakland style panic, but anything, anything ... And I don't think either GM or coach really thought their job was going to hinge on the performance of the team playing with the a JV quarterback. It did, but the Colts fans need to bless the ground on which their ex GM walks.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Yes, of course.  He's Brady's backup.  You can't run a playoff-bound team without a backup QB.

Mallett will probably walk in 2014.

BB might draft a quarterback with a later draft pick this year, someone who might be good by next year.

Philadelphia reject Mike Kafka might possibly be a cubic zirconium in the rough.  BB would accept a good zircon gem right now if it didn't cost him anything.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

The problem with the whole Mallet thing is there has been nothing said about the Pats trying to shop him - that means another team would have to start the trade talks and I have'nt heard boo--I have'nt heard anything about a mallet trade by anyone!! I'd like to see the Pats trade him this year for a second rounder because he wont be with the Pats in 2 years-because TB wants to play til,he's 50!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

"Those are the types of moves that get GMs fired - I doubt Lombardi wants to start his career off in Cleveland like that. " 

my first thought when hearing the rimor

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

Even if we draft a rookie, our backup QB situation would be pretty scary if Mallett leaves.  BB would pretty much be banking on Brady staying healthy for 19 games.

excuse me, that is where we are now. mallet isnt taking us to a sb

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I'm hearing Buf will take a QB with the #8 pick and the Jets will take Geno if he makes it to one of their first 2 picks. If that's true then that will leave essentially Maneul and either Barkley or Nassib (depending on who Buf choses) after the top 13 picks. Some team will get nervous and move up to grab one of them which means 5 teams will be left holding the bag (Phi, Ari, Clev, Oak, Jax, TB). So regardless how you look at it there still is a good shot (50/50) at Mallett getting traded. One of the huge wild cards will be Chip Kelley. Phi could use a new QB and Mallett's big arm fits Kelley's style, not to mention that he's been in BB's system which runs like a Kelley system. If Phi decides that Mallett is worth a 2nd over say a Manuel or Nassib/Barkley I could see them tossing the Pats a 2nd for Mallett.

if a team before 8 takes a qb thats all we need to start a run and puch players to us at 29.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

In response to jimmytantric's comment:

The problem with the whole Mallet thing is there has been nothing said about the Pats trying to shop him - that means another team would have to start the trade talks and I have'nt heard boo--I have'nt heard anything about a mallet trade by anyone!! I'd like to see the Pats trade him this year for a second rounder because he wont be with the Pats in 2 years-because TB wants to play til,he's 50!!!

I agree.  It's been real quiet, which leads me to believe that it's the Browns or no one.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

I believe that Mallett will be on the Pat's roster to start the season because they will not get an offer that the team finds acceptable enough to trade him. I can't see a team giving up a second round pick for RM and I'm not sure that the Pats would even get a third round pick for him. He's inconsistent in the very rare times that he sees action.

I'd like to see him get more time during the preseason if he is with the team this summer.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I'm hearing Buf will take a QB with the #8 pick and the Jets will take Geno if he makes it to one of their first 2 picks. If that's true then that will leave essentially Maneul and either Barkley or Nassib (depending on who Buf choses) after the top 13 picks. Some team will get nervous and move up to grab one of them which means 5 teams will be left holding the bag (Phi, Ari, Clev, Oak, Jax, TB). So regardless how you look at it there still is a good shot (50/50) at Mallett getting traded. One of the huge wild cards will be Chip Kelley. Phi could use a new QB and Mallett's big arm fits Kelley's style, not to mention that he's been in BB's system which runs like a Kelley system. If Phi decides that Mallett is worth a 2nd over say a Manuel or Nassib/Barkley I could see them tossing the Pats a 2nd for Mallett.

Interesting thought.  I really hadn't considered Philly.  I would think that Kelly would want someone more mobile than Mallett, but we'll see...

Yes , i agree. I see no resemblance between BB and Kelly offense.

i think we also have to ask if Mallett is traded who is still availabe for back up? Cant see Pats going in with Kafka as the 2

i could see one of the listed teams trading back into round 1 for #29 to draft a qb as well

Draft Peter lalich QB california (PA)

http://www.knowitallfootball.com/2013/02/26/nfl-draft-2013-peter-lalich-the-forgotten-one/

"BY J.P. SCOTT ON FEBRUARY 26, 2013

Peter Lalich is the best passer in college football. No one throws a prettier, more accurate ball with more zip. No One.

Don’t bother scrolling through the names of the quarterbacks who participated in this year’s NFL Combine. The 6’6, 245 pound senior is not on it. He wasn’t invited.

Lalich was one of the most heavily recruited quarterbacks in the nation coming out of West Springfield High School in Springfield, Virginia in 2007. He chose to stay in-state and attend the University of Virginia after turning down offers from Miami (FL), Michigan, N.C. State and UCLA.

During the summer before his sophomore season at Virginia, Lalich was arrested for underage drinking and placed on probation. He ended up starting the first two games for the Cavaliers before his court appearance where he admitted to violating his probation by consuming alcohol. He was dismissed from the UVA Football team the same day.

Two years later, after transferring to Oregon State, he was dismissed from that program as well. This time he was caught operating a boat under the influence of alcohol.

What looked to be another tragic ending to another talented athlete’s story took a turn for the better when Lalich found a place at the University of California (PA), a Division II school. He had a quiet yet solid 2012 season, highlighted by his 334.7 passing yards per game average.

In an interview for NFL Draft Zone, Lalich talked about how his past mistakes made him a better person and helped him grow. In the same interview, he talks about passing his time by playing blues guitar, practicing yoga and modeling his game after that of Tom Brady. If you are trying to model yourself after another in your profession, I’d say it would be tough to make a better choice than that.

From what I can tell, outside of two unfortunate incidents with alcohol and some self admitted marijuana usage in the past, he seems like your average college kid — only this kid has an NFL arm and high-speed computer processor for a mind when it comes to making decisions from the pocket.

A source close to and with experience coaching Lalich described the signal caller as a “football savant”, going on to call him a “real life Will Hunting” when it came to football.

The same source cited how the fact that Ryan Nassib, the current quarterback prospect from Syracuse, is being considered by many as potential 2nd or 3rd round pick is laughable when you compare his skill-set to that of Lalich. He went on to speculate that Lalich will be one of the most sought after undrafted free agents should he get passed over for seven rounds.

It is also important to point out that Dallas Cowboy Head Coach Jason Garrett’s brother John was one of the primary recruiters of Lalich to Virginia. This tells me that Peter Lilich will be very much on the radar of both the Dallas Cowboys and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, where John Garrett is now on Greg Schiano’s staff.

As I said before, after watching literally hours of NFL prospects throw the ball, not one of them is a better pure passer and for that matter, decision maker than Peter Lalich. Let’s just hope the foolish decisions of a 20 year old kid don’t end up being what derails what could very well be a terrific NFL career."

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Well, if they think he has more experience and so more ready than a rookie because he has studied the Pats O (somewhat complex O) and has for two years so far been BBs choice as #2... and has studied under Brady.... ANd has the arm that made him a consideration to go higher than he eventually did... then maybe they would use a 2nd round pick on him .. or a 2nd round next year... and I would not be surprised to see BB start to stock pile picks again...