Predictions: Dobson vs Thompkins

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Predictions: Dobson vs Thompkins

In response to anonymis' comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Well it seems like they keep trying to force the ball into Dobson more and he's getting more snaps. Not sure why as imo Thompkins has been the better player. Maybe trying to get a 2nd round pick up to speed quick than a UDFA but at the end of the year I'd love to see the difference in looks each has received

Thompkins has been targeted 50 times vs. 39 for Dobson.  Not sure what the snap count is for both. So, either Brady trusts Thompkins more or Thompkins routes have a higher progression for Brady.

Earlier in the year Thompkins was def getting more looks but the last couple of games it seems like Dobson has been seeing the ball more often (usually as it slips through his hands)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to HelmetofLeather's comment:

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

I know it wasn't part of the question, but KT will find the EZ more often.

It's pretty remarkable that through only 6 games, with 4 TDs KT has reached or exceeded the Rcvg TD totals to these guys drafted by BB:

Chad Jackson      Round 2  Rvcg TDs: 3
    Bethel Johnson    Round 2  Rcvg TDs: 4
    Taylor Price      Round 3  Rcvg TDs: 0
    Brandon Tate      Round 3  Rcvg TDs: 4
    P.K. Sam          Round 5  Rcvg TDs: 0
    Jeremy Ebert      Round 7  Rcvg TDs: 0

I just posted how some of those players can be attributed to Scott Pioli. So far it looks like BB may have learned a little bit about rookie Wr's

I'm not sure it was BB or McDaniels. McDaniels has a good eye for WRs, much better than Pioli or BB has had in the past

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

Dobson will overtake Thompkins in all categories.  Dobson is a better athlete, a better blocker which explains his increasing snap count. He has now led the team in two games with receptions and yardage.  Anyway, I like thrm both, and come mid-November, we'll start seeing a lot more magic from the rookies.

Red Sox in 2013 World Series, Patriots in 2014 Super Bowl!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to HelmetofLeather's comment:

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

I know it wasn't part of the question, but KT will find the EZ more often.

It's pretty remarkable that through only 6 games, with 4 TDs KT has reached or exceeded the Rcvg TD totals to these guys drafted by BB:

Chad Jackson      Round 2  Rvcg TDs: 3
    Bethel Johnson    Round 2  Rcvg TDs: 4
    Taylor Price      Round 3  Rcvg TDs: 0
    Brandon Tate      Round 3  Rcvg TDs: 4
    P.K. Sam          Round 5  Rcvg TDs: 0
    Jeremy Ebert      Round 7  Rcvg TDs: 0

I just posted how some of those players can be attributed to Scott Pioli. So far it looks like BB may have learned a little bit about rookie Wr's

I'm not sure it was BB or McDaniels. McDaniels has a good eye for WRs, much better than Pioli or BB has had in the past

I believe he drafted Decker and Thomas. I'd say those are two pretty, pretty, pretty, prettttttyyyyyy pretty good picks.

Aside from the Cincinatti debacle, I think the rookies have gotten better and better as the weeks go by. The good thing here is that I don't see them hitting a rookie wall. Rookie walls come in to play when a player isn't that heavily relied upon (Chandler Jones last year). I don't see that out of these guys. I think they continue to improve moving forward, with maybe a few more Cincinatti-like speed bumps, but I think they become a very good unit by the time the playoffs (knock-knock) roll around.

Excited for the potential of these guys, for sure.

But I'll take Thompkins having more catches, less yards.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rbetourne. Show rbetourne's posts

I think they both bring valuable skills and both will flourish in this system.  I do think that Dobson has a higher ceiling.  The one that leaves me scratching my head is Boyce----he should be, at the very least, returning kicks.  He is not seeing the field--and being on the weekly inactive list is not a good sign.  Austin Collie pushed him there.  That is kind of scary.  Even though no one doubted Collie's abilities--just his ability to stay on the field (sounds a little familiar).  I think w/Gronk back we will get better in the red zone.  Here is one thing---w/out Hernandez---hear me out----our run game stays more often.  Hooman is a better blocker then the guy no one likes to talk about, Gronk is a great blocker too---it should help stay committed to the run.  Plus, Hooman is not that bad of a receiver---he will be open A LOT in the two TE set.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Thompkins is clearly better.

At this point, Babe, absolutely agree.  Over the long haul, I think Dobson has more upside and eventually will be the better of the two.

Indications are; Thompkins has heart, Dobson is a clown. I'll go with Thompkins for the long haul as well.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tg19pats. Show tg19pats's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Thompkins is clearly better.

At this point, Babe, absolutely agree.  Over the long haul, I think Dobson has more upside and eventually will be the better of the two.

Indications are; Thompkins has heart, Dobson is a clown. I'll go with Thompkins for the long haul as well.

Where did you hear that Dobson is a clown, I thought he was a hard working kid. I actually like both receivers.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I've seen more good than bad from Dobson and Thompkins, I don't know why some of you insist on continually ripping them to shreds.  Both played a role in the win last week - is that being lost in all the negativity?  I think it is.  Did the Pats hang themselves out to dry a wee bit relying on rookie WRs?  Maybe.  But they're 5-1 with lots of room for improvement, and not just the WRs.  Brady can be better - will be better.  The O line can be better, the RBs can be better, Gronk could somehow get on the field.  All is not lost!  Before bemoaning the state of the Pats' O, just ask yourself how you'd felt with that record when the schedule first came out.

Why must some of you always look on the downside of things?    

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

it is clear as night and day that Dobson is the better talent. talent does not always mean production, but Dobson seems to have earned more snaps as of last week.

I think we have seen 40-50% of what Dobson could be...I think we have seen 80-90% of what Thomkins is...

Both could help this team this year, and many more years to come...but I think Dobson could be special...dude needs to sit on the jugs gun!

That's pretty much it for me. 

Dobson is a week behind KT in stats. But Dobson may be surpassing him in assignement recognition. 

He certainly, just by looking at the games, has more upside. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

Dobson gets open a ton. He's really surprised me in that regard. If he can start holding on to the ball better he'll lead in receptions. I think KT will remain the yardage leader.

Sections
Shortcuts